Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AQ40 View Post
    None sense.
    Orly?

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/...QifV19XX0%253D

Kitted out as close to the iMac Pro as i could get - DOESN'T have a GPU as they have nothing comparable (only last-gen Tesla and Radeon Pro offerings), and doesn't include the 2200$ monitor. And the CPU is slower.

9500$

Then add the monitor for 2200+ and likely over 1k for the GPU. 12,500 easy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ATZenith View Post
    I don't understand why people argue apple is better for 'production'. Lol. Who cares if OP maxed out the stats. It's still going to be like 4k with barebones shit specs.
    And a bare-bones workstation from Dell or HP or Sun costs just as much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    And everything you just said fit my second point of what I said "Places that will use them as tax write offs" as everyone of them those computers are in fact tax write offs for that type of company.
    Even if they weren't, theyd still buy them. They pay for themselves within months at the outside.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you are trying to get a reaction out of me? Reported, troll.
    No one is trolling in this thread other than the guy who tried to post a picture of an overspecced Mac as if it was somehow relevant to the actual consumer price of the computer, or as if its impossible to build an expensive custom version of anything at all

It's not hard to build a $12,000 custom PC but have a fun time trying to pass it off as if its in any way relevant.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    At this point Apple are just taking the piss.

After exchange rate conversion iPhone Xs in Australia were $400 more expensive than they should have been, because fuck you that's why. This greed isn't sustainable.

The iMac Pro is price-comparable with professional workstations from other major companies. What the hell are you on about?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    No one is trolling in this thread other than the guy who tried to post a picture of an overspecced Mac as if it was somehow relevant to the actual consumer price of the computer, or as if its impossible to build an expensive custom version of anything at all
    another assumption, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Well to be fair the entry level is still $5k and isn't as good as my Ryzen build for video editing and i paid less than $2k to build that.
    You can’t compare a custom machine to a prebuilt one. Anyone who’s knows computers knows building is a hell of a lot cheaper. Apple isn’t doing anything different than all the others do.

Also - troll poster posts a maxed out computer in a pathetic attempt to bash Apple as if you can’t do the same with any other company and expects us all to be blind idiots.
    Last edited by Cerus; 2017-12-15 at 02:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    another assumption, lol
    Oh, I beg your pardon - you must not be the OP who posted the original image and then went back to edit in some text after you got called out.

It's supposed to be a workstation of course it's going to be expensive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Oh, I beg your pardon - you must not be the OP who posted the original image and then went back to edit in some text after you got called out.
    another one oh man this shit is funny

fully specced.
    Clickbait title. Shitty post overall. You can get a $12000 Alienware if you try too. What is your point exactly?

10+ Year Old Account
    another one oh man this shit is funny
    You're right, it is. You've been getting lambasted for nearly four pages in your own thread.

At this point even you must be aware that your thread has been a failure, that's why you've advanced past backpedalling into self-conscious attempts at pretending not to care.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    You can’t compare a custom machine to a prebuilt one. Anyone who’s knows computers knows building is a hell of a lot cheaper. Apple isn’t doing anything different than all the others do.
    Thing is, his Ryzen build ISN'T comparable to that iMac.

That iMac comes with a 2200$ display. That iMac has 10Gbps Ethernet, and 3 Thunderbolt 3 ports with their own dedicated bandwidth. And a 1200$+ workstation GPU. And 32GB of ECC RAM. And a 1TB NVMe PCIe SSD.

I'd be willing to 100% guarantee you his Ryzen build has none of those things. (well, it for sure doesn't have Thunderbolt 3, and you cant actually buy the GPU that is in the iMac Pro (which is higher-end version of the Vega FE), and i doubt he bought a Vega FE). The likelyhood of him having a 1TB PCIe SSD is also pretty small.

Thats kinda my point whenever these topics come up. People like to point out how "overpriced" Apple is by comparing them to machines that aren't actually the equivalent of the Mac. You can't pretend those features dont exist. And, particularly in a production environment TB3 and 10Gbps Ethernet are HUGE advantages.

Will that Ryzen rig get "close" to the performance of the iMac Pro? Sure. Within 15-20%, easily. Maybe even 10%.

But it wont have a 5K display, it wont have 10Gb ethernet, and it wont have 120GB/s worth of TB3.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    Apple is digging it's own grave.

Let them.

It's good for the consumer as competitors know it and will start doing more compelling things to win over their demographic.
    Their last expensive iMac was like 5000 I believe.

I believe someone put together a list of all the items and how much it would cost to build and it came to like 4700...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    At this point Apple are just taking the piss.

After exchange rate conversion iPhone Xs in Australia were $400 more expensive than they should have been, because fuck you that's why. This greed isn't sustainable.
    Their entry level iMac pro... if you were to build it to the exact specs with all the exact things it would cost you almost around the same price as apple is charging for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ATZenith View Post
    I don't understand why people argue apple is better for 'production'. Lol. Who cares if OP maxed out the stats. It's still going to be like 4k with barebones shit specs.
    Their base model specs for iMac pro are still very good... and if you wanted to build it yourself within exact specs you'd be looking to spend about how much apple is already charging for it... so it seems as if this is one of the most fairly priced item apple has.

The OP has made numerous bait posts pushing bullshit and disingenuous narratives... people need to just ignore him.

As someone who bought a regular one for like 10% of that price earlier this year my initial response is: Fucking what?

That is too much money for any home consumer product.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't be an Apple fanboy and buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Their entry level iMac pro... if you were to build it to the exact specs with all the exact things it would cost you almost around the same price as apple is charging for it.
    Probably, but if you bought better hardware then you would have spent a lot less. Because that's how the computer market works. The 2.3 Ghz Intel Xeon 18 core is super expensive and not one of us would ever buy it. Specifically, it costs over $3.5k for one. But a 16 core Ryzen is only $1k. As we all know, AMD Ryzen chips are faster than Intels at workstation type workloads.

The Vega card is a workstation card which means the price is jacked up. The Radeon Pro SSG is about $7000 while a regular Vega 64 is like $700. The workstation version of Vega 64 is $1.5k but without the 1TB SSD built into it. Do you need the 1TB SSD? I don't know cause there are no benchmarks for this card yet. There's no good explanation how a 1TB SSD on a graphics card helps at anything really.

But of course the reason you buy a workstation based hardware is for it's reliability cause workstation hardware is built better than the stuff we regular consumers get. Which everyone knows is horseshit anyway but Apple knows you'll pay extra for that nonesense. FYI AMD Ryzen supports ECC memory so there's no need to worry about that. I think nearly all the AMD motherboards can use ECC. But yea you could use less money to build a better system than Apples. You could buy many Vega 64's and get more performance than the single Radeon Pro SSG.

Intel is no longer king of the hill in CPU's and for $3k you could buy that new Nvidia Titan V. If you wanted to go cheap then get a regular Vega 64.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    As someone who bought a regular one for like 10% of that price earlier this year my initial response is: Fucking what?

it ISN'T a home consumer product.

How hard is that for people to grasp?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Their last expensive iMac was like 5000 I believe.

I believe someone put together a list of all the items and how much it would cost to build and it came to like 4700...

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Their base model specs for iMac pro are still very good... and if you wanted to build it yourself within exact specs you'd be looking to spend about how much apple is already charging for it... so it seems as if this is one of the most fairly priced item apple has.
    This is extremely rudimentary as a lot of the parts Apple uses aren't available to the public yet (and may never be). For instance, the GPU in the iMac Pro is basically a more powerful Vega FE but AFAIK, its Apple-exclusive, so in this build i used the Vega FE, as the closest thing you can get to it.

This also doesn't have full bandwidth for 3 TB3 ports (its only got one 40Gbps bi-directional, instead of 3x 40Gbps).

Also doesn't have the brand-spankin-new Xeon W that Apple is using, but has the closest i could find to it.

So, its not really even completely up to spec, and still costs more:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZqGPtJ
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZqGPtJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Xeon E5-2667 V3 3.2GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($2200.00)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 Quad Lumi 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.85 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-X99-Ultra Gaming ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($273.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Crucial - 32GB (2 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory ($402.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Intel - 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($349.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Video Card: AMD - Vega Frontier Edition 16GB Frontier Edition Video Card ($789.89 @ B&H)
    Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Wired Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-AQC107 PCI-Express x4 100 Mbps/1 Gbps/10 Gbps Network Adapter ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Edimax - EW-7822PIC PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ad Wi-Fi Adapter ($63.33 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: Dell - UP2715K 27.0" 5120x2880 60Hz Monitor ($1500.00)
    Other: StarTech PEX4M2E1 x4 PCI Express to M.2 PCIe SSD Adapter ($21.95 @ B&H)
    Total: $5936.85
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-14 22:22 EST-0500
    So.. yeah. Thats a "close" equivalent PC if you were to build it yourself. 6,000$.

And... that was with me going with the monitor USED (so it was 1500 instead of the 2200$ MSRP). The CPU and Monitor dont show prices in PC Partpicker; the CPU is available at NewEgg, and the Monitor was available used at B&H for 1500.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    It's pretty well known across the industry that Apple generally charges up to nearly 50% more for the same specs.
    That's a well-tread piece of bullshit/mythology.

But by all means, show me a PC All-in-one with a 27" 5K display, a fast i5, 16GB of RAM and a 256GB PCIe SSD and a 2TB platter drive.

I'll wait.

Apple sells the base model of the 27" iMac for less than the display costs at retail.

While we're at it, go ahead and find me a PC ultrabook that:
    - is made from a solid block of aluminum
    - IPS QHD display (with 100% color gamut and Adobe RGB reproduction)
    - Thunderbolt 3
    - Weighs less than 3lbs
    - PCIe storage

For 50% less than what Apple sells the MBP for.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2017-12-15 at 03:35 AM.

fully specced.
    Whats your fucking point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    So, its not really even completely up to spec, and still costs more:
    There's also the challenge of packing all of that into an all-in-one form factor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post

That's because it isn't a home consumer product.