Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

XQC Banned Again

For throwing. Honestly, I'm getting really tired of the fact we are only seeing them take action like this at the top of the ladder when we have seen this OWC Finalist drop to Masters. Many people will ridicule him for his behavior, but honestly there is no such thing as competitive play anymore. We have two versions of quick play. Comp and Quick Play are the exact same thing now, except people maybe try to get a tank and a support in comp.

I mean, I fully support the notion of actioning players ruining other players' experience but it's too hard for Blizzard to look at the real problem, because to people "toxicity" is exclusively synonymous with "being a loudmouthed prick". But they never once stop to consider how disrespectful they are with their poor performance, inflexibility, lack of competitive drive and how their poor teamwork skills negatively impact the game and continue to queue for competitive play even though they do not belong there.

Personally my opinion is that if Blizzard can't remove these players from the game mode, they shouldn't be acting like it's srs bizniz because people engage in this fuckery at every level of play. What the do we need, every OWL player to stream verified evidence of throwing once a week so that Blizzard can see it? The fact that this only happens at the top of the ladder because they saw it on a stream just proves how much lenience they give these players to engage in these activities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well on the one hand I got a message saying that a player I had reported had been actioned when I logged in yesterday, so something happens.

What’s not cool is that xQc and Steve-o (whatever you think of the justification of their suspensions) are just ignoring their suspensions and playing and streaming on alt accounts. It just shows whatever sanctions there are, are easily bypassed and effectively unenforceable, and therefore pointless. That’s the real problem in all this.

10+ Year Old Account
    eh did the same thing when i got banned for a week, which, unsurprisingly was not game related at all despite the fact that i have done things players should be banned for and i have done them many more times than players should be allowed. The only times i have ever been actioned are when i have the attention of every player in the match and even then I only got silenced

So to me, that says a lot about how lazy they are and the level of respect they treat the competitive community with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    eh did the same thing when i got banned for a week, which, unsurprisingly was not game related at all despite the fact that i have done things players should be banned for and i have done them many more times than players should be allowed. The only times i have ever been actioned are when i have the attention of every player in the match and even then I only got silenced

So to me, that says a lot about how lazy they are and the level of respect they treat the competitive community with.
    So basically you’re someone who says you should’ve been banned several times over, complaining about others not getting banned? No, it shows what little respect YOU have and that YOU are problem.
    You really should’ve started out by saying that this is all really about how you should’ve been banned already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    So basically you’re someone who says you should’ve been banned several times over, complaining about others not getting banned? No, it shows what little respect YOU have and that YOU are problem.
    Which came first... The chicken or the egg?

But I have no intention of discussing that topic further, it was merely stated to illustrate the point that Blizzard does not respect their own platform of competitive play and the players who participate in competitive play do not respect the platform because of it.
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2017-12-16 at 12:09 PM.

Good. XCQ is toxic as hell not to mention annoying.

Yeah, he is a good Winston but I don't care how good someone is in the game, his attitude doesn't belong in it.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Good. XCQ is toxic as hell not to mention annoying.

Yeah, he is a good Winston but I don't care how good someone is in the game, his attitude doesn't belong in it.
    It would be easy to agree with you if there were not so many other players who do not belong in competitive play.

To me, this is Blizzard trying to make an example out of XQC because he is an easy target, which is kind of pointless because plenty of players doing the same thing already know what they can get away with. Players have also claimed that Jake throws when he is tilted by throwing himself off a ledge repeatedly, yet there is no mention of the Team USA 2017 and Houston Outlaws player's illicit activities being actioned. This is just them, in part, pleasing the masses without necessarily aiming to but mostly confronting XQC about his behavior as a popular streamer and OWL player.

It's cute, but I'd rather they spend their time creating resources educating players about the nuances of match mechanics as well as hero strengths and weaknesses and addressing the real problems the community is facing because I am not impressed a player who has competed as a finalist in their own tournaments is being banned when the game mode is a joke in the first place.

XQC throws once and he gets banned. People who do it 50 times a season go unnoticed (by Blizzard anyway). I mean, I understand where people are coming from, I really do and what he's doing isn't fair to other players but if they can make a spectacle out of this then they can just as easily admit they have bigger issues to deal with than XQC having a bad day.

I guess at least this time they banned him at the end of a match, so I have to give them a nod for not making fools out of themselves again.
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2017-12-17 at 04:58 PM.

People like XQC are also the face of the game when it comes to eSports. They care about the image of the game to the publics eye, and that is likely why they came down so hard on him.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    People like XQC are also the face of the game when it comes to eSports. They care about the image of the game to the publics eye, and that is likely why they came down so hard on him.
    That might be how you see it, but to me OWL is OWL and OW is OW. It's not an excuse for his behavior, but Overwatch is literally his job. Personally I love my job but as someone who can say that about their job, I'd be lying if I said I felt hunky dory every minute and every second of my job. There have been times when I just wanted to slap the shit out of people.

People can be upset with him but the dude plays the shit out of Overwatch. He's level 1900 or whatever that platinum border is and I have a hard time believing this is as big of an issue as many people like to make it out to be, especially if there are other players out there who don't play the game as much and are throwing more often than he is.

To me, this is kind of ridiculous. He definitely shouldn't be escalating up the ban ladder if Blizzard is not dealing with these other players. I am, of course, not suggesting he should not be reigned in, talked to or let off without punishment - but until they can hold everyone else to the same standard, suspensions from competitive play should suffice.

This will not stop him or others from playing the game on alternate accounts, but that is why Blizzard needs to stop being so goddamn stubborn and admit their idea of competitive play was not well thought out and needs to be revised so that it only exists for players who are willing to fight for the privilege to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    That might be how you see it, but to me OWL is OWL and OW is OW. It's not an excuse for his behavior, but Overwatch is literally his job. Personally I love my job but as someone who can say that about their job, I'd be lying if I said I felt hunky dory every minute and every second of my job. There have been times when I just wanted to slap the shit out of people.
    In most jobs, if you act the way he does you get fired.

It doesn't matter if "it's literally his job", he is still representing their game to the public and Blizzard apparently doesn't like how he is doing it. They don't really care about random players so much as they are unknowns. But people like XQC are the ones nonOW or potential OW players players will hear/see when they see the game in the eSports scene.

And with how much money Blizzard is putting into promoting OW as an eSport, are you really surprised that they are doing this?

If anything being in OWL means he should be acting a LOT more professional than he does.

You have to keep in mind it's far easier to spot if a top streamer (who's probably streaming it even) is throwing over a random Joe shmoe at silver/gold/plat.

And they have concrete proof if blizzard is watching their stream, which I'm sure someone at Blizzard does.

10+ Year Old Account
    In most jobs, if you act the way he does you get fired.
    You just can't use that line of logic, because that would be like suspending Michael Jordan from the NBA for the time he punched Steve Kerr in the face during practice or saying Kyrie Irving is an entitled brat that doesn't deserve his popularity or salary because he thinks the earth is flat.

XQC is an athlete, for lack of a better term - that's his OWL job. His other job... is to entertain people. And again - I'm not saying Blizzard shouldn't do anything in reaction to his activity as a customer and not an OWL Player, but it's really not their place to come at them as league commissioners which is exactly why they are drifting in this perceived moral grey area instead of coming after him like other OWL players. But ultimately, there are many other players I would see banned from the game before XQC and treated with the same rancor that a Blizzard sponsored Tournament Finalist and League player is.

The Overwatch League is the Overwatch League, and metaphorically, Competitive Play is the only Rec Center in the universe. So it begs the question - will they eventually ban him from the game of Overwatch knowing it would be like trying to ban an NBA player from Basketball?

And with how much money Blizzard is putting into promoting OW as an eSport, are you really surprised that they are doing this?

If anything being in OWL means he should be acting a LOT more professional than he does.
    Man oh man. I think a lot of people just don't realize the age we live in where you can shine a light in someone's direction and see half the skeletons in their closet. Especially if they're a streamer.

Do you know why the only thing you see about Michael Jordan on the internet is that he doesn't donate his shoes because "white people buy them too" and that he donated money to both the black community and police? Because he's a smart man. He knows in this day and age all that attention is a slippery slope and before you know it, everybody is up in your business and got a video of you leaving the restaurant with your side piece and pulling into a hotel.

It's like I said - I don't think he shouldn't be held accountable, but people aren't perfect. Have you ever played Overwatch 10+ hours a day, practicing and streaming for a month? Have you ever driven a car at 150mph for 2 minutes?

I can't speak for practice unless I'm referencing Allen Iverson, but man once you drop to 90 it feels like you're going 25 just because of how dramatically different the value of your decisions are, and once you're high you never want to come down unless it's going to kill you. When you have to adjust that much, it can be frustrating. But because it's your job, you have to do it.

I won't deny that the comparisons of an NBA Athlete and a MLG player aren't perpendicular lines, but I think people kinda just need to chill and Blizzard needs to get off their ass and start reporting on whatever developments they have planned for the competitive platform of this game.

Also... Last I heard, it was the teams putting their own money into OWL. Not Blizzard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    You have to keep in mind it's far easier to spot if a top streamer (who's probably streaming it even) is throwing over a random Joe shmoe at silver/gold/plat.

And they have concrete proof if blizzard is watching their stream, which I'm sure someone at Blizzard does.
    Yeah, and that's my problem. They seem satisified picking an easy target instead of accepting the truth that competitive play needs revision because they are never realistically going to catch those players. I sure as hell don't expect them to manually do anything about it because they don't exactly have the greatest track record of creating successful competitive platforms players praise.

So the most logical thing for them to do is to find out what the definition of Competitive Play in Overwatch is from the game's community from Bronze players to OWL players and rebuild the entire thing from scratch based on all the most common values and design the mode so that it's not amenable to the playstyles of decidedly non-competitive players. It it was me, I'd start at the top and categorically move to the bottom and go back to the top, publicize the thoughts and how they collected these thoughts and observe the feedback from their community.

When most players upset with competitive are asked what could be done to make it better, most people who have something to say mention how Paladins gates these undesirable players by requiring them to possess a modicum of game and hero knowledge. However, it's usually met with a lot of resistance because of this dumbass new wave era of retards who can use the internet now and fiercely oppose anything that is said to be superior because it's a clone of a Blizzard game even though Blizzard has literally been built on the foundation of taking someone else's idea and making it better.
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2017-12-17 at 08:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hard? He's on a 7 day suspension for a third suspendable offence, same as everyone else would get. Except, he's ignoring that suspension by playing and streaming on alt accounts. That's not exactly a harsh punishment, it's no punishment at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Streamer drama is so funny. Oh no some random dude somethingggggg. Glad i don't watch them, nor even play overwatch

No idea who this dude is. But the presence of "Again" and how people are describing his behavior and attitudes seems like a bad combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    No idea who this dude is. But the presence of "Again" and how people are describing his behavior and attitudes seems like a bad combo.
    People don't get banned by accident. It's always a repeat offense, which says a lot about the person's character.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronan View Post
    People don't get banned by accident. It's always a repeat offense, which says a lot about the person's character.
    I mean the fact that this person is being described as obnoxious yet he is being banned and unbanned repeatedly.

Honestly if people are suspended all of them should be suspended, like all accounts. And I'd be surprised if blizz don't start doing just that in the future, after positively id'ing an alt account. And then go to Twitch and YouTube to help enforce it. Like it's us or them, who will you game more money with, a streamer or a big successful company. It's a business.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    Honestly if people are suspended all of them should be suspended, like all accounts. And I'd be surprised if blizz don't start doing just that in the future, after positively id'ing an alt account. And then go to Twitch and YouTube to help enforce it. Like it's us or them, who will you game more money with, a streamer or a big successful company. It's a business.
    NBA Basketball is NBA Basketball and NFL Football is NFL Football, but in that respect... Is it even ethical to have a league interest in banning a player from Overwatch for thinking a pug is wack and not taking it seriously? That's like Adam Silver trying to ban an NBA player from... well, Basketball. As in, the entire sport, for not taking a pug seriously. Yeah man, even banned from balling at the local the park.

That's kind of... Out there, isn't it? Keep in mind this was not a suspension from competitive play, but a full game ban.

What happens if he gets banned? Does he just buy another account? Is there a league punishment for a permanent ban? Does creating a variation of a "sport" give you dominion over it?

The disciplinary actions taken against XQC open up a lot of interesting questions.

But for me the biggest question is to players saying he should be actioned by OWL: there was a coach that was fired and excommunicated from the league before the inaugural season even began because he had sex with a woman that hadn't given her consent. But they want a dude who plays this game on a professional level, streams it for a living and is level 1900 or whatever, to not only be banned from the entire "sport" as it were, but to more or less be handed the same rap for... What, not taking a game of pickup seriously?

I'm pretty sure this is why people hate my generation and think we're so dumb we couldn't change a wheel on a car in 5 minutes if they put a gun to our heads and gave us a jack, a tire iron and an instruction manual.

No im saying if they are banned from playing Overwatch on one account, then the player should be banned not the account. Announce a change to ToS/EULA, then later change it, then enforce it. Cut out the toxic.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs