Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Win 10 - Creator update - update prevention?

Seeing as this ****er keeps trying to install itself..

Has anyone found a reliable way to stop this thing?

Boot PC, update starts running 10 min later.

Idle for ~15 min, update starts running.

Far as I know i've disabled all update services/boot protocols/scheduled tasks etc.

Short of unplugging it from the net, which i'm currently doing every time I need to leave it idle for more then 15 min i'm out of ideas.

Thoughts?

Also, I thought microsoft had stopped/was required to stop with the forced updates?

10+ Year Old Account
    Last I heard changes regarding things like that don't actually work in the Home version since Windows just ignores the changes, unless you have the Pro version and you tell it to not download updates and it actually seems to listen.

The downside is I get about 5 notifications per day telling me I need new Windows Defender updates.

They aren't required to stop anything.

They basically turned into Ubisoft where they'd do something one week, then a few weeks later contradict it, then several months later contradict the contradiction.

It's all about PR.

To be honest I'm sure they're just sick of having to support ancient software and adapting the Apple model was inevitable, it's very surprising that they didn't do it sooner.

Can I ask why you're avoiding the update ?
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-12-16 at 06:35 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Disable windows update in services.msc? Used to work before CU at least.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Can I ask why you're avoiding the update ?
    Selective updating, if it's not needed I don't install it, minimizes the chances i'll have to revert afterward to fix whatever the update broke.

Seeing as the creator update is (as far i'm concerned) nothing but bloatware I have no use for it.

They aren't required to stop anything.
    Not true, see:
    https://www.computerworld.com/articl...downloads.html

I suppose that doesn't extend to upgrades to win10 itself yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Disable windows update in services.msc? Used to work before CU at least.
    Doesn't work, disabled that straight after booting the very first time.

You will need it as microsoft will stop supporting older versions of win 10 pretty fast unlike the older windows.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you trying to avoid it now?

I'm pretty sure my Windows 10 install is totally updated and I've had no issues. MS Paint is even still there. ;P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    You will need it as microsoft will stop supporting older versions of win 10 pretty fast unlike the older windows.
    Non-issue, the last machine used wasn't updated for 7 years, nor did it have any security bar the basic firewall. People vastly overestimate the threat of viruses and the like. Admittedly they are getting more advanced, we'll see what the future brings.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    A history of useless updates that have caused me no amount of headaches due to them breaking my system to various degrees.

Plus the fact that I longer have absolute control over the machine that *I* own pisses me off to no end.

If I wasn't required to use the damn thing for work I would've switched to less-headache inducing OS ages ago.

Doesn't matter anymore anyway, update snuck in, currently trying to get rid of all the trash it brought.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

I'm pretty sure my Windows 10 install is totally updated and I've had no issues. MS Paint is even still there. ;P
    You have been one of the lucky ones. The Win 10 Creators fall update fucked up ALOT of systems. Just try and Google it.

My systems got fucked up by it. All programs started using 50% more system resources. GW2 went from under 50% use to allmost 85% cpu use, so to play anything i had to stop allmost all other things running in the background or else i would crash non stop because my cpu was running at 100% all the time.

Gigabyte aorus was normally only using 2-5% cpu and after the update it went up to 35% all the time. Having 1-3 tabs open in chrome was hitting up to 20% cpu power and no matter what i did nothing helped. But the Win 10 update that came this week has fixed it all and it all runs normal again.

The biggest problem was the huge FPS spikes in games, but it's all back to normal now, so Microsoft fucked something up and was over a month to fix it
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Does setting your connection to a metered connection still make it where you manually have to update? Even if its an Ethernet connection?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanya View Post
    Non-issue, the last machine used wasn't updated for 7 years, nor did it have any security bar the basic firewall. People vastly overestimate the threat of viruses and the like. Admittedly they are getting more advanced, we'll see what the future brings.

A history of useless updates that have caused me no amount of headaches due to them breaking my system to various degrees.

Plus the fact that I longer have absolute control over the machine that *I* own pisses me off to no end.

If I wasn't required to use the damn thing for work I would've switched to less-headache inducing OS ages ago.

Doesn't matter anymore anyway, update snuck in, currently trying to get rid of all the trash it brought.
    How/why is it breaking your system? It confuses me how Windows updates, sometimes, break peoples' computers... Why don't they do it to everyone's? O_o

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    You have been one of the lucky ones. The Win 10 Creators fall update fucked up ALOT of systems. Just try and Google it.

My systems got fucked up by it. All programs started using 50% more system resources. GW2 went from under 50% use to allmost 85% cpu use, so to play anything i had to stop allmost all other things running in the background or else i would crash non stop because my cpu was running at 100% all the time.

Gigabyte aorus was normally only using 2-5% cpu and after the update it went up to 35% all the time. Having 1-3 tabs open in chrome was hitting up to 20% cpu power and no matter what i did nothing helped. But the Win 10 update that came this week has fixed it all and it all runs normal again.

The biggest problem was the huge FPS spikes in games, but it's all back to normal now, so Microsoft fucked something up and was over a month to fix it
    Wow. Hmm. I'm going to try and see if I actually got the update or not, but Windows hasn't told me about any updates in a while, so idk.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanya View Post
    Selective updating, if it's not needed I don't install it, minimizes the chances i'll have to revert afterward to fix whatever the update broke.

Seeing as the creator update is (as far i'm concerned) nothing but bloatware I have no use for it.

Not true, see:
    https://www.computerworld.com/articl...downloads.html

I suppose that doesn't extend to upgrades to win10 itself yet.

Doesn't work, disabled that straight after booting the very first time.

I had a long response typed out but lost it :/

I'll just summarize with I don't see how that affects non German versions of W10 since there actually is a German version and if they're legally forced to make changes I don't see why they'll do it to non German versions.

Losing control/privacy is the price you pay for partaking in current tech. Microsoft was the last to 'fall in line' with decade old practices that Apple introduced and everyone else has adopted.

Smartphones are an even worse offender, even Google is now.

As for malware/viruses, you're likely going to be fine, but you never know if you're going to be hit with something, even an overnight zero day while you sleep and left the machine on.

Just wait till companies start using the anti privacy argument of "what are you trying to hide by not upgrading ?"

I would like to point out that even though I have the Pro version and I seem to be able to actually control updates, there hasn't been a major update released since I've installed and my ISO's build was 1709 which means it had the Creators Update already patched in.

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post

There's always been mass amounts of people claiming an update broke a system.

Thankfully I never experienced that, I built my system in October and Microsoft added the Creators Update to the ISO's long before that, so I had 1709 from the beginning.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-12-17 at 12:14 AM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

15+ Year Old Account
    How/why is it breaking your system? It confuses me how Windows updates, sometimes, break peoples' computers... Why don't they do it to everyone's? O_o

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. Hmm. I'm going to try and see if I actually got the update or not, but Windows hasn't told me about any updates in a while, so idk.
    My guess is hardware specific. Seems like this time it was user with MSI and Gigabyte hardware that was hit the hardest and Asus on 3rd place when you google it
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

If an update breaks your system, it's most likely that your system was faulty in the first place. And are we talking about OS breaking or the actual computer components breaking(CPU, GPU, Motherboard, RAM, PSU, etc.)? Things such as old drivers can play a huge part in this, so please do update them every few months, manufacturers provide these updates for free for a reason.

For the record, my system had the Fall Creators update and has not changed a damn thing. Everything works flawlessly just like it did before. The only change I noticed is that they enabled some "People" button on my taskbar by default, which I disabled in 2 seconds.

15+ Year Old Account
    I had a long response typed out but lost it :/

I'll just summarize with I don't see how that affects non German versions of W10 since there actually is German W10 version and if they're legally forced to make changes I don't see why they'll do it to non German versions.

Losing control/privacy is the price you pay for partaking in current tech. Microsoft was the last to 'fall in line' with decade old practices that Apple introduced and everyone else has adopted.

Smartphones are an even worse offender, even Google is now.

As for malware/viruses, you're likely going to be fine, but you never know if you're going to be hit with something, even an overnight zero day while you sleep and left the machine on.

Just wait till companies start using the anti privacy argument of "what are you trying to hide by not upgrading ?"

I would like to point out that even though I have the Pro version and I seem to be able to actually control updates, there hasn't been a major update released since I've installed and my ISO's build was 1709 which means it had the Creators Update already patched in.

There's always been mass amounts of people claiming an update broke a system.

Thankfully I never experienced that, I built my system in October and Microsoft added the Creators Update to the ISO's long before that, so I had 1709 from the beginning.
    My system did brack and after the update this week it's back to normal again. No driver updates. Only Microsofts updates this week

10+ Year Old Account
    I do tech support. Windows 10 is easily the most stable and update-friendly iteration. I base this off having repaired likely upwards of 10,000 systems over the years.

I usually find that people complain the most either do weird setups (which is their prerogative) or just like to complain about stuff. I kid you not. Our highest "Time spent fixing their systems" customers are people who just always have to have something to complain about. It's 98% trivial stuff, or something they've broken (Like 'requiring' to use Windows only software in a virtual machine running on a mac with files shared from a network location to share through the VM. Seriously?)

TLDR: Get used to it. If you don't like it, switch to something else now, because you'll have to either deal with it now, or deal with it later when it REALLY breaks something because you didn't deal with it now. Malware is getting smarter, and the idea of not updating isn't something that will fly anymore. Sooner or later, you're going to end up with a crypto-virus and both your main and backup data are screwed, or worse.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

What Chazus said. I do have to correct one thing, though....

Apple doesnt force updates. Not sure why people think they do. Two button clicks and one admin password later, and youll never see an update prompt or warning again.

iOS is a little more pushy about this, but you can still disable the automatic updates easily. Also, if you manage your iOS device via iTunes, (and not as a standalone device), you can set it to download the updates to iTunes instead, and then you choose to install them (or not) when you sync it.

Google *certainly* doesnt force updates on Android, or fragmentation wouldnt be such a huge issue. ChromeOS “forces” updates in that as it as always-online service, basically, its is just always up to date, but you know that going in, as Google actually uses it as a selling point and on a device like a Chromebook, with its limited use cases, its really not an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    What Chazus said. I do have to correct one thing, though....

Apple doesnt force updates. Not sure why people think they do. Two button clicks and one admin password later, and youll never see an update prompt or warning again.

iOS is a little more pushy about this, but you can still disable the automatic updates easily. Also, if you manage your iOS device via iTunes, (and not as a standalone device), you can set it to download the updates to iTunes instead, and then you choose to install them (or not) when you sync it.

Google *certainly* doesnt force updates on Android, or fragmentation wouldnt be such a huge issue. ChromeOS “forces” updates in that as it as always-online service, basically, its is just always up to date, but you know that going in, as Google actually uses it as a selling point and on a device like a Chromebook, with its limited use cases, its really not an issue.
    Chazus worded it like how I wanted to word it originally, you either deal with it or stop using current tech. His claim about people liking to complain is definitely true.

I know your comment was directed at me and I got lazy and lumped everything into one explanation when I shouldn't have.

To summarize, I meant more companies are trying to push or force things where before they didn't and hoping people will be oblivious to default settings that violate privacy and other settings. Apple brainwashed an entire generation into thinking you have to buy new hardware every few years and Microsoft until recently supported old hardware and software for so long that the programmers working on Windows were probably pulling their hair out. When I mentioned Google I didn't mean ChromeOS, I meant Google itself isn't the perfect pro privacy company that people think it is. Obviously some are more serious violators than others, but the base model has changed is my point.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-12-17 at 09:29 AM.

Chazus worded it like how I wanted to word it originally, you either deal with it or stop using current tech. His claim about people liking to complain is definitely true.

I know your comment was directed at me and I got lazy and lumped everything into one explanation when I shouldn't have.

To summarize, I meant more companies are trying to push or force things where before they didn't and hoping people will be oblivious to default settings that violate privacy and other settings. Apple brainwashed an entire generation into thinking you have to buy new hardware every few years and Microsoft until recently supported old hardware and software for so long that the programmers working on Windows were probably pulling their hair out. When I mentioned Google I didn't mean ChromeOS, I meant Google itself isn't the perfect pro privacy company that people think it is. Obviously some are more serious violators than others, but the base model has changed is my point.
    Ahh, yeah, im with you there. Privacy isnt really a thing if you want to use most modern services. Apple is just ever so slightly better in that they tend to be greedy and not share the data theyre collecting on you with others, butntheyre still colecting it.

However... in some cases its required to even make the services work right. If Google *didnt* collect all that data on me, it wouldnt know to tell me when to leave work if i want to get home on time, etc. its the price you pay for the convenience. As you said, at this point, you either deal with it or dont use modern stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    You basically have these technology Amish hermits who are terrified of the thought of updating stuff, because it's work of Satan or something. You know like the whole Windows 10 initial bullshit because "privacey!11" and other silly reasons that don't fly in 2k17.

Microsoft changed updates from a function of Windows, to a major feature of Windows. Microsoft isn't going to release a new OS every 5 or so years with service patches in between. Now its just Windows 10. They really should dump the "10" since that kind of implies that there will be an 11. Microsoft has been clear that there will not be any new operating systems after 10, and that they are just releasing major feature updates now similar to Apple's OSX.

Like Chazus said, its either learn to like it or move on to some thing else. Linux works for some people, OSX for others. They are both good operating systems as long as you realize what they are and keep your expectations in check.
    Last edited by lloose; 2017-12-18 at 12:14 AM.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro