Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jstnw89 View Post
    FF13 got 2 sequels so clearly is was a great game
    transformer movies anyone?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    You know looking back at this franchise's great history barring FF2, it's honestly hard to believe FF13 exists. Not its mediocre, slightly polished sequel or Lightning Returns (which is strangely a completely different beast) I mean the original 13th mainline game.

It really is a horrible fucking corridor simulator mangled with overly long, cheesy cutscenes and its second half that can be described as a long series of imbalanced battles with an illusion of exploration through a barren overworld that exists for nothing but to get you to more fights.

Honestly there's nothing good that can be said about the game other than some of its music. When you look at almost every other FF game, namely 14 and 15 with how hard SE works to salvage them now, FF13 can't just be called a disgrace to the franchise name, it might as well be one of the worst games ever based on its total lack of redeeming qualities.

What can you really say went right at all? Sure it's reviled by pretty much everyone nowadays, but I wonder how it even got positive reception during its initial release.
    No, it's not even close.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Did anyone here like 7-10 but not the 13 trilogy ?

Wondering if there's a correlation.

It seems rare for people to actually like 7-10
    Liked em all personally.

I do like 13 but it's definitely at the bottom end of my FF list.

My most favorite FF game is actually 5.

As I said nothing beats FF14 1.0 in terms of worst FF game though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Almost certainly not, but for me it says a hell of a lot that it's the only Final Fantasy I haven't touched; word of mouth and confirmation of my fears for what it would turn out to be were enough that I had no inclination to play this one at all.

As someone who grew up with Final Fantasy, for who 6 literally gave an awakening to games as an art form, who has spent hundreds of pounds to hear music from these games played live, I think to turn off a lifelong fan so abruptly; that says plenty about the damage this game did to the franchise, but for me it was really only the straw that broke the camel's back as I had already become jaded to the coin toss nature of quality between chapters. I despised 8 and I was mostly just bored with 10, 11 and 12. When 14 released in such a mess I was ready to be done with the series forever but they did such an outstanding, masterful job of turning that game around that I was pulled back into the series again.
    Last edited by Thoughtcrime; 2017-12-17 at 12:41 AM.

anything after 10 is garbage.

I was going to get it, since I haven't touched a FF game in years. Watching gameplay and other types of videos, it doesn't look too bad, if compared to X-2.

10+ Year Old Account
    I disliked 13 a LOT. It was a massive, massive disappointment to me when I picked it up.

But even though it was very disappointing for a Final Fantasy game, it's far from being one of the worst games of all time. I mean, it wasn't good but it wasn't truly terrible or anything.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

For a FF game? Yes it set the standard for a new low. Overall? You have never been to Steam Greenlight I suppose :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Rift and MEA were both above average games with too much hype. Rift probably would have beat WoW if they released near the same time. Its was one of the best mmos until its 2nd or third expansion.
    yeh yeh all mmo's would have beat wow, we know they're all wowkillers, just all in an alternate reality :s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    anything after 10 is garbage.
    Have you tried Lost Odyssey ?

I consider it a next generation 10, and to basically be FF11, especially considering the staff that made it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Liked em all personally.

I do like 13 but it's definitely at the bottom end of my FF list.

My most favorite FF game is actually 5.

As I said nothing beats FF14 1.0 in terms of worst FF game though.
    That's very rare from what I've seen, I also enjoyed 7-10

I don't think MMO FF's count.

My favorite non MMO FF would have to be 10, although I haven't played anything pre 7.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

7>10>9>8 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 12 (worst piece of trash in FF history dead franchise after this)

Quote Originally Posted by Allerius View Post
    7>10>9>8 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 12 (worst piece of trash in FF history dead franchise after this)
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fi.../1100-6453381/

Wouldn't say 6.5 million units sold is a "dead franchise". You can expect that number to go up with the upcoming PC release.

Or that the series has an MMO that is doing extremely well at the moment.

And just for comparison FF7 sold around 9-10 million copies on PS1, 8 sold around 6.5-7 million and 9 sold around 5 million. So in comparison in terms of sales 15 has done pretty well.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-12-17 at 02:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    yeh yeh all mmo's would have beat wow, we know they're all wowkillers, just all in an alternate reality :s
    But it was legitimately good at launch. Better than any other mmo other than WoW. I didnt hit max level cause my pc sucks though, so maybe it got worse at 50??? I think it was.

Have you tried Lost Odyssey ?

I consider it a next generation 10, and to basically be FF11, especially considering the staff that made it.

- - - Updated - - -

That's very rare from what I've seen, I also enjoyed 7-10

I don't think MMO FF's count.

My favorite non MMO FF would have to be 10, although I haven't played anything pre 7.
    Eh I count the MMOs personally in terms of this. They are part of the main franchise and still have that FF feel that the single player ones have in my opinion.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-12-17 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    But it was legitimately good at launch. Better than any other mmo other than WoW. I didnt hit max level cause my pc sucks though, so maybe it got worse at 50??? I think it was.
    a lot of mmo's failed because of that, everything is about leveling and when you hit cap the devs expect you to sit around and twiddle your thumbs waiting for content to appear.

- - - Updated - - -

Eh I count the MMOs personally in terms of this. They are part of the main franchise and still have that FF feel that the single player ones have in my opinion.
    sales =/= good game, hype or a big brand name like FF or diablo is what really sells copies, make the exact same game without diablo - blizzard, or final fantasy - square enix and wonder why you're not selling millions of copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    a lot of mmo's failed because of that, everything is about leveling and when you hit cap the devs expect you to sit around and twiddle your thumbs waiting for content to appear.

- - - Updated - - -

sales =/= good game, hype or a big brand name like FF or diablo is what really sells copies, make the exact same game without diablo - blizzard, or final fantasy - square enix and wonder why you're not selling millions of copies.
    To be fair while not the same genre there are those odd games that do well on their own. Especially in the Indie department. Cuphead, Papers Please, Undertale and Stardew Valley spring immediately to mind. Of course 3 of them are inspired by formulas already set down but it's still an example.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's ironic 14 started off being that bad because I consider ARR to be the only MMO worth playing atm if you're sick to death of or done with Warcraft.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

It's ironic 14 started off being that bad because I consider ARR to be the only MMO worth playing atm if you're sick to death of or done with Warcraft.
    14 was absolutely terrible.

Lack of content, bugged content, "load tunnels" which were a long walk between zones to try and not have loading screens, terrible mechanics and story was a tad convoluted. Thankfully when Naoki Yoshida and his team took over they just threw Rivenroad in and ended it in the most epic cinematic ever admittedly.

Only thing 14 had going for it really was graphics. But as I always say. "Great graphics don't always make a great game"

7+ Year Old Account
    not as bad as "boyband goes on a raod trip" number 15.

and Mass Effect andromeda wasn't that bad, considering it was done by Bioware B team.

In the grand scheme of things it's not that bad of a game, it's just a terrible Final Fantasy. If it had been published under a different title it would be a completely forgettable mediocre JRPG, but as part of the FF series it sits in the shadow of its far more storied predecessors. I think you can, however, make the argument that it was one of the most disappointing games of all time. It certainly was for me.