Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I still think this debate is somewhat backwards - the Titans don't look Human, Humans look Titan given that they're the final link in a chain that progresses from Human to Vrykul to Titan-forged Vrykul to Keeper to Titan. I do agree there's a definite nod to Khaz'goroth's look in many Dwarves, but whether that's a product of their creation or just an affectation on the part of the Dwarves is unknown. Most speculation points at Khaz'goroth as the direct creator of the Earthen, the beings from whom the Dwarves are derived, so some of that similarity may be down to Khaz'goroth putting his likeness into his work to a degree.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

This is perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    Well yeah, as I said, I got nothing against fan theories. I would've prefered a titan design and art based off the lore we know and the way we know the titans actually look like though.
    You have this backwards. Titans don't look like humans, humans look like Titans. I think that's where your disconnect is. Humans are descended from Curse of Flesh'd Vrykul, who were designed by the Titans. There is no reason Azeroth couldn't look more Elf-ish than the rest of the Pantheon, although I do agree that in the fan art OP linked her attire feels out of place.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

15+ Year Old Account
    I endorse this idea. It works, and presents my exciting story hooks
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    You have this backwards. Titans don't look like humans, humans look like Titans. I think that's where your disconnect is. Humans are descended from Curse of Flesh'd Vrykul, who were designed by the Titans. There is no reason Azeroth couldn't look more Elf-ish than the rest of the Pantheon, although I do agree that in the fan art OP linked her attire feels out of place.
    I know that humans got their appearance after the titans in the lore of Warcraft. What I am saying is that Blizzard envisioned the pantheon and titans the way humans from ancient Greece/Rome did and therefor gave them a classical Greco-Roman appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I really like it as a whole but the bottom teeth bother me for some reason. Otherwise very very good job.
    They're Troll tusks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I really like it as a whole but the bottom teeth bother me for some reason. Otherwise very very good job.
    I think it's supposed to be a representation of an idealized Troll - one of the native races of Azeroth. The model itself seems to contain elements of both Troll and Elven features, probably meant as a depiction of what the best aspects of both races would be if they were in complete and harmonious synthesis.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    They're Troll tusks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I think it's supposed to be a representation of an idealized Troll - one of the native races of Azeroth. The model itself seems to contain elements of both Troll and Elven features, probably meant as a depiction of what the best aspects of both races would be if they were in complete and harmonious synthesis.
    I can see the Troll in it now. But i don't like Trolls so I will stand by my original comment. Very very well done but don't like the teeth/tusks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    I know that humans got their appearance after the titans in the lore of Warcraft. What I am saying is that Blizzard envisioned the pantheon and titans the way humans from ancient Greece/Rome did and therefor gave them a classical Greco-Roman appearance.
    As both a history teacher and a Classicist, I am intimately acquainted with where Blizzard's inspiration for the Titan aesthetic comes from. That's why I put in the caveat that her clothing feels wrong.

But this does bring up an interesting point. Many Night Elf ruins look vaguely Classical. What if they're really just emulating the Titan aesthetic? A dim whisper of ages and glory past so old they don't even remember why?
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    As both a history teacher and a Classicist, I am intimately acquainted with where Blizzard's inspiration for the Titan aesthetic comes from. That's why I put in the caveat that her clothing feels wrong.

But this does bring up an interesting point. Many Night Elf ruins look vaguely Classical. What if they're really just emulating the Titan aesthetic? A dim whisper of ages and glory past so old they don't even remember why?
    I think it simply dates back to a time when Blizzard didn't give it much thought and just tried to come up with something that'd look pretty and majestic, yet worn away through time.

I still think this debate is somewhat backwards - the Titans don't look Human, Humans look Titan given that they're the final link in a chain that progresses from Human to Vrykul to Titan-forged Vrykul to Keeper to Titan. I do agree there's a definite nod to Khaz'goroth's look in many Dwarves, but whether that's a product of their creation or just an affectation on the part of the Dwarves is unknown. Most speculation points at Khaz'goroth as the direct creator of the Earthen, the beings from whom the Dwarves are derived, so some of that similarity may be down to Khaz'goroth putting his likeness into his work to a degree.
    He liked his beard, so he gave it to the dwarves :>

Don't think anyone disagrees that his face might resemble some dwarf features, but those are also human features. And he has a human size. Dwarf is by definition, not tall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    He liked his beard, so he gave it to the dwarves :>

Don't think anyone disagrees that his face might resemble some dwarf features, but those are also human features. And he has a human size. Dwarf is by definition, not tall.
    Well, being a Dwarf in the Warcraft universe is a matter of species, not of height - Dwarves are also biologically hardier and longer-lived than Humans in Warcraft. The height of the Earthen was probably set low because their primary role was working in subterranean areas. It would be much easier for them to be squat and compact to move about in tight spaces, caves, fumaroles, and the like. Mostly it's just a matter of likeness and themes - the Dwarves echo Khaz'goroth's features as well as his penchant for forging, shaping, and working with the constituent elements of the earth. There's a pretty obvious thematic connection, though they are definitely their own people separate from their probable Titan maker.

Well, being a Dwarf in the Warcraft universe is a matter of species, not of height - Dwarves are also biologically hardier and longer-lived than Humans in Warcraft. The height of the Earthen was probably set low because their primary role was working in subterranean areas. It would be much easier for them to be squat and compact to move about in tight spaces, caves, fumaroles, and the like. Mostly it's just a matter of likeness and themes - the Dwarves echo Khaz'goroth's features as well as his penchant for forging, shaping, and working with the constituent elements of the earth. There's a pretty obvious thematic connection, though they are definitely their own people separate from their probable Titan maker.
    Sure, and yeah, like I said no one really(should) questions the similarities of his face and hardyness is close to the dwarves. It's a direct and imo a nice connection right there. Dwarves in Warcraft are smaller in height than humans though.

We have for example Sons of Hodir that looks like dwarves but they are giants.

In this particular case it was someone that said he is a dwarf. But he is as tall as the others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Sure, and yeah, like I said no one really(should) questions the similarities of his face and hardyness is close to the dwarves. It's a direct and imo a nice connection right there. Dwarves in Warcraft are smaller in height than humans though.

We have for example Sons of Hodir that looks like dwarves but they are giants.

In this particular case it was someone that said he is a dwarf. But he is as tall as the others.
    Yes, Khaz'goroth is definitely not a Dwarf - nor does he look like a Dwarf outside of surface characteristics like physiognomy or fashion. I've always appreciated the "artificial" feel of the Titans, how they seem constructed as opposed to organically made, possessing a kind of austere and utterly inhuman beauty and/or nobility (befitting what are essentially demigods). I also agree with a previous poster who said they echo the feel of Greco-Roman statuary and depictions, although I'd probably extend the depiction to Norse and Germanic deities as well since the Titan Pantheon takes pretty obvious influences from both Greco-Roman and Norse/Germanic deities from Zeus to Vulcan to Thor to Odin.

7+ Year Old Account
    Love it, other then the belly button... That is just fucking silly...
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Deleted
    Great fan art. I really hope we get to see Azeroth in flesh one day. Hopefully Blizzard wont "sacrifice" her like they did to the pantheon to "save" mortal races.

Absolutly ugly, and completely ridiculous. Look at the other titans, is one of them have any in common with one of the lesser forms of life ever, aka the trolls? That "fan"art is just as moronesque as the fantasm about Anduin and Wrathion.

Deleted
    This is amazing

Man... the comments in this thread make it kind of hard to want defend Net Neutrality.

Good job Hipnos, she looks great, though I'd agree on what others said about Night Elf being just a evolution from Trolls.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
    Absolutly ugly, and completely ridiculous. Look at the other titans, is one of them have any in common with one of the lesser forms of life ever, aka the trolls? That "fan"art is just as moronesque as the fantasm about Anduin and Wrathion.
    We don't know about their world souls, and Azeroth is unique in several ways.