Thread: Affliction Help

Affliction Help

I did a couple of HC Antorus bosses last night, i feel like i am doing something wrong. Im keeping up my DOTS on the targets, well i feel like i am..

I have the Grand Army Lego as well as Dark Strike sitting in my bag but dont know whether they are worth putting them on. Also have a Terror of the deep RF WF 890 trinket sitting in the bag.

I just want to know where i am going wrong and need some advice...

My logs from the fights: warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/27665627/17#metric=dps

Armory: worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/grim-batol/negitt

Thanks

Affliction help

I have all the affliction and universal legendaries and in spite of Legendary hierarchy lists putting the help, belt, chest or cloak in the top best, I have seen consistently better dps and damage with both rings, Soul of Netherlord and Insignia of the Grand Army (occasionally Prydaz for survivability or on bosses not on farm, swapping it out with the Netherlord). Equipping these also produce higher damage/dps on simulations. Depending on the fight there can be arguments for the helm or even the chest but I do noticeably lower damage with anything but the two rings. Make sure your 2nd tier on your relics are good for the Grand Army ring bonuses. Keep dots up and if you are running Maelific Grasp, as I do, I have noticed that casting Drain Soul three times (the time it takes for all dots to fall off) before refreshing Unstable Affliction produces higher damage (ie. the 25% boost) than stopping DS and reapplying UA every time it falls off. Then when I reapply dots I pre-empt each one with a UA. The Diabolic tier 4-pc helped a lot in my opinion. I'm not the top dog out there, many other locks really understand the sims, parses, etc. but I have been a lock since vanilla so this is my 2 cents.
    GL
    JH

Sorry I cannot post links yet. Look me up on armory and warcraft logs, but look at ToS as we are just starting Heroic Argus so my damage performance is lower as I learn the fights.

I'm just gonna link you a few videos, because I already know what mistakes you're making without diving into logs, outside of your gear being mediocre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doDT3Nm3IIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GVOCf030DY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQovKaYtPlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxAOPuWO9RQ

Quote Originally Posted by Revea1eD View Post
    I did a couple of HC Antorus bosses last night, i feel like i am doing something wrong. Im keeping up my DOTS on the targets, well i feel like i am..

I have the Grand Army Lego as well as Dark Strike sitting in my bag but dont know whether they are worth putting them on. Also have a Terror of the deep RF WF 890 trinket sitting in the bag.

I just want to know where i am going wrong and need some advice...

My logs from the fights: warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/27665627/17#metric=dps

Armory: worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/grim-batol/negitt

Thanks
    You're at about 30% parse for your ilvl, which isn't that bad, especially considering you only did the fights once. The more you know the fights, the less you have to move and the less damage you lose. Just keeping up your basic dots is only part of the damage. Ideally, you should line up your UA's with reap windows (and drains when you're specced MG) as well as lining up your owl and your soul harvest. (And never cap shards because that's definitely a dps loss.) But no matter what your spec, every tick that you're not draining is damage you're losing unless you're doing something more important (reappling dots, life tapping when needed, moving to save your life, etc.)

IMO, for multi-target fights where you are speccing absolute corruption, you absolutely should be using Sarcolash since you have it. I don't like Reap & Sow compared to other legendaries I have, but I'm not sure how that stacks up against Insignia of the Grand Army, which I also don't use ever. Power Cord is very solid, especially for the ST MG/contagion build.

The owl trinket is good, esp if you are lining it up with reap and when you'll be able to drain the target for extra procs. Otherwise, I'm not crazy about your trinkets but I don't know what all you have available. I don't like Terror From Below for any fight and the Decimator is only strong when you have multiple targets (the more the better) pretty close together, but it least it has some haste. Farm argunite and try to gamble for an arcano 910+ ... that would be superior to the other trinkets I'm seeing.

IMO, the best long-term way to improve is to do some reading, do some sims on your specific character and do some practical experimentation with your builds / legendaries / trinkets. Understand where your damage is coming from and that will allow you to better identify where you're losing it on any given fight.

post here for a little question.

i've dropped yesterday leggo head...it's good to pair with my waist? or atm ring (death embrace free) it's superior?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsuirlife View Post
    post here for a little question.

i've dropped yesterday leggo head...it's good to pair with my waist? or atm ring (death embrace free) it's superior?
    Sim yourself. Helm + Belt is a very good combo, generally.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Sim yourself. Helm + Belt is a very good combo, generally.
    yesterday ive got the back...1.5 sec on every reap.

now im confused..wich lego should i use ? head , belt , ring (antorus quest) or back ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsuirlife View Post
    yesterday ive got the back...1.5 sec on every reap.

now im confused..wich lego should i use ? head , belt , ring (antorus quest) or back ?
    Helm+ring is likely BIS on most fights with 4pc t21.

Helm + Soul Ring and Helm + Belt appear to be very close, though the Sims for Soul Ring aren't optimal representations of the item's power in real raid conditions.

There's also some fights where Sephuz can be used (Eonar, Portal Keeper) and of course you'll keep using Sarcolash on fights where you spec Absolute Corruption (Eonar and Coven, potentially Felhounds).

The other legendaries are mostly superfluous at this point, though as always Prydaz may be a choice for progression irrespective of its DPS performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Helm + Soul Ring and Helm + Belt appear to be very close, though the Sims for Soul Ring aren't optimal representations of the item's power in real raid conditions.
    What about the Helm + Chest? IIRC the ring loses a lot of value with 4p because DE doesn't work with SL.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckz0rs View Post
    What about the Helm + Chest? IIRC the ring loses a lot of value with 4p because DE doesn't work with SL.
    That's true, but it's also VERY good to begin with. It's hard to gauge because there's a lot of factors that make it difficult to model accurately and the differences between Soul Ring and Belt appear to be fairly low, judging from comparable logs.

Chest is basically never a consideration at this time. Obviously you'll use it if you don't have something better, but Helm + Soul Ring/Belt beat it easily and then you have Sarcolash or Sephuz on some fights as well, and even Prydaz might just be better.