Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    You did the right thing, absolutely.

Maybe it's time to find a new guild. If that stuff makes you uncomfortable but the others don't have a problem with it, maybe it isn't the right fit.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Hey guys,

The other night an immature raider kept saying the N-word in raid chat and /yell during our guild raid. Everyone seemed to be okay with it but he kept going and going with it. Eventually he said something about a rope and I told him I was going to report him. Everybody said "lol" but I reported him. Apparently he was suspended from the game and missed our raid. I was the only one to report him. Everyone else was laughing at his shenanigans through discord. We had to pug another tank. I don't want to be known as a wuss raider. He went way too far.
    Number of reports is usually just a fast track to an investigation. If the offense is egregious enough, the number of reports has nothing to do with the punishment. Even one report will result in the incident being looked into, maybe just not as fast as one that's been reported more times.

Actually I chat report people like that no matter who it is... it's just I don't let them know first before I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    Doesn't the swear filter stop these words? If someone has put their filter off and is reporting people they are obviously a troll out to harass people and should be banned.
    That doesn't matter to Blizzard's moderation system. You can chat moderate people for language even with it on, in fact.
    Last edited by arcaneshot; 2017-12-18 at 04:22 PM.

If it was guild chat nothing would be done. Raid chat has the possibilities of randoms, even if none where there, and that is that. I am sure he said it enough for the autobot to flip out and trigger the suspension. The the GM saw it in the morning and it was an easy confirm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    Actually I chat report people like that no matter who it is... it's just I don't let them know first before I do it.

That doesn't matter to Blizzard's moderation system. You can chat moderate people for language even with it on, in fact.
    It does because blizzard are enabling troublemakers and breaching their very own rules in the process.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Gold farming auction bots don't make people feel uncomfortable.
    No they just wreck the game economy and lower peoples enjoyment of the game which is worse.

Depends.

If he just clicked on the name and did "report player for language", then no.
    If he clicked on Help button and made a well written report to a GM, then yes.

It does because blizzard are enabling troublemakers and breaching their very own rules in the process.
    Blizzard doesnt agree, there is a reason they have a loading tip along the lines of: The chat filter is not a reason to use excessive profanity.

That's honestly a poorly thought out argument to begin with, just because there is a chat filter doesn't mean you can say whatever you want, it just means that those that don't want to actually see profanity/slurs/etc. don't have to actually read it, everyone still has to abide by the ToS, of which racial slurs and derogatory statements regarding sexuality are prohibited.

Unless it's real life threats related, no.

You did the right thing, OP. There should be no tolerance for racist terms and offensive words in game or out of game. I simply wish Blizzard (and other gaming companies) would do more when hateful, racist, and offensive language is used. As others have said, however, it (unfortunately) depends on where the words are used and how it is reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    So lets say this wasnt a guild raid.. okay, you should probably leave this stuff out..

But seriously, when you go in a guild, you should know the people in it and their mindset. If I take our guild for example, you would report us all.. Just because you dont approve of something doesnt mean that its not acceptable in the community you try to fit in.. You even said that the whole guild seemed to be okay with that.. so just dont be a pussy and get a new guild, obviously this guild is not for you.. and dont ruin fun for others in the guild by being there.

But guess this is 2k17, where you cant even joke within your own guild, because some random guy you recruited might get offended. Honestly, if you were in my guild, I would have kicked you, not the racist guy. Grow some balls and stop crying and reporting everyone to authorities.. that aint how life works, your mom wont always solve your problems for you.
    His mom didn't have to solve the issue for him. The appropriate authorities did. Maybe you should grow some balls and man the fuck up, stop being such an immature pussy hiding behind the safety of anonymity. It's 2k17. Time to punish the cavemen set in their ignorant ways.

You are obviously mentally challenged, just read again what I wrote and then go and facedesk yourself. I'm not hiding behind anything, stop by my house and I'll say it right to your face, no problem.

In case you didnt understand I'll try again.. He's in a guild, trying to fit in a community.. obviously his guild thinks its allright (the racist jokes & stuff).. who's he to judge and report someone just because he's having fun with his friends. If he doesn't like it, then there's an obvious solution, /gquit. I mean, lets face the fact, the whole guild community is not going to change their ways just because one braindead over-butthurt member. Is he going to report the whole guild with time?

The whole point is, as long as it stays in the guild community (which guild raid obviously is, if there was no pug involved), I see no problem with that kind of stuff, if the majority accepts it. And then again, if you happen to find yourself in the "minority", just leave.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2017-12-19 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Received Infraction

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys,

The other night an immature raider kept saying the N-word in raid chat and /yell during our guild raid. Everyone seemed to be okay with it but he kept going and going with it. Eventually he said something about a rope and I told him I was going to report him. Everybody said "lol" but I reported him. Apparently he was suspended from the game and missed our raid. I was the only one to report him. Everyone else was laughing at his shenanigans through discord. We had to pug another tank. I don't want to be known as a wuss raider. He went way too far.
    You did the right thing. Stand up against racism. I find there's so many racists on WoW.

I never understood why people feel the need to tell another person, that you're going to report them for X reason. I always just report them and go on about my day. If it's something that keeps happening, I normally put them on my ignore list. I have never been in a place where I had to report a guild member, but being a guild leader myself; I wouldn't have let this happen during a guild run without saying something. I wouldn't have had an issue with it, but I know some people might.

Of course we joke around and have our own inside jokes that might not seem appropriate outside of our guild chat/runs. But there is a line we have, which everyone understands.
    Last edited by PrivateDonut; 2017-12-19 at 12:26 AM.

Doesn't the swear filter stop these words? If someone has put their filter off and is reporting people they are obviously a troll out to harass people and should be banned.

It's horrible you have such racist bigots in WoW.
    Why would they have anything against people who like gansta rap speaking in their own language?
    good point here, i usually ask people to type in a way that will get past my swear filter because i am too lazy to turn it off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Your guild buddy is a generic wow idiot but on the other hand you damn well knew what you was doing and you did it not because you was bothered that your fellow raider was racist not at all. You did it because reporting people for language gives you satisfaction. You get to hurt someone RL.

To me you are worse than him. He was provocative and trying to bait a reaction but you are a big hypocrite. "Oh I dont want to be a wuss but I even report my own fucking co-players because I can".

You guys have serious issues with freedom of expression. And yeah he used the "N word" so fucking what. Its a word. And its not even derogatory term in many languages its the name of a color. Things are what we make of them. I could start saying "good morning" is a derogatory expression and make a game where the rules say it is. Man made shit to make life weird for all.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly my point. He is not interested about justice he just wanted to hurt the other guy in a very real way. People get their major joy from the internets if they can manipulate someone's ban. Thats why we have trolling, baiting, hypersensitive people who get insulted by the air that they breathe even etc.
    excellent points made, censorship is often just another form of power and control camouflaged behind a mask of self righteousness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Chances are he's gotten more than 1 report on his account. People behaving like retards tend to do so everywhere, and then they scream "SJW!!!" whenever they're held accountable for their retarded behaviour.

The people throwing around the term "SJW" are usually the sort of person that warrant suspensions and get clocked in the teeth when they're out among real people.

AKA, idiots with no filter.
    Yeah but the odds are those people wont say it IRL but have no problem saying it behind the guise of anonymity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Chances are he's gotten more than 1 report on his account. People behaving like retards tend to do so everywhere, and then they scream "SJW!!!" whenever they're held accountable for their retarded behaviour.
    >complains about people acting poorly and then complaining about 'SJW culture' when they're banned for their conduct

>uses the word "retard" twice as an insult

???

Deleted
    Would've reported him, too. No need to feel bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys,

I would have reported him too. That shit has no place in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    You can say what the fuck you like in WoW as long as it's not at someone, mature chat filter exists
    Except no, that isn't the way it works at all. Might want to take a look at the EULA sometime.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    If it is in guild, blizzard wont do anything, as they understand it could be jokes, and it comes onto the guild to dictate those.
    the issue is when he did it in /yell, making those even not in the guild able to see it...
    This is patently false. Guild chat isn't 'all bets are off' - saying stupid shit there will get you in trouble the same as any other channel, and I know this because I kicked someone from my old guild for saying some seriously fucked up shit, and then reported them for the things they said. That person was actioned, which I know because they whispered me whining about it a couple weeks later.

"thanks for getting me banned"
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

And what does SJW mean?

On topic: if it was a pure guild raid, and that guy was really joking, I would have not reported him. If you had pugs within your group and he did do it on /yell or /1, so non-guildmembers could read it too, I would have done it too, joke or not. Sometimes, especially among the top 5 guilds of a server, there's still some kind of reputation. And idiots like this guy you described can hurt your guild's reputation.

Deleted
    Gotta love the tough guys here saying the OP is a softie for reporting him.

GJ OP, I would have reported him too, guildmate or not, joke or not, shit like this leads to toxicity, even if that player isn't racist, casually saying the n-word still is fucked up, there ain't no humor in that.

Now that i've expressed my opinion, I await the brave warriors of the internet to call me ''SJW''.