Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorimar View Post
    care to explain which addons exactly? because there never were addons that:

- provided dual spel (you had to respec which was expensive)
    - provided AoE looting (you had to loot every single mob you killed in vanilla)
    - provided mounts at level 20 (was 40 in vanilla)
    - provided infinite mana (in classic you oomd after killing a mob)
    - provided LFD/LFR (you had to use trade chat to find a group in vanilla)
    - provided multi tagging of (quest)mobs (this was recently implemented in WoD)

i think i proved my point, or do you want me to continue? addons arent the reason QoL changes happened. lazy plebs are...
    You can make AddOns to save talent builds. Doesn't get around the respeck cost, but atleast makes applyign talents fast and easy after respeck.

Since Classic doesn't have cross realm grouping (outside of BGs), LFG tool addon can be made. It will use a custom chat channel to send out scripted messages to communicate the group listings.

AoE loot, mount level changes, mana regen and multitaggign are not UI levels stuff and thus cannot be made with AddOns.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    And for the record, the community is not toxic. It's one of the nicest, most supportive communities I've ever been a part of. We are just toxic to jerks like you who coming in here for no other purpose than to shit on a game we like.
    That's just not true. I've played on many vanilla private servers over the years and it's one of the most elitist, toxic, entitled and jaded communities out there. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but to claim that the private server community is nice is just false advertising

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Auto loot was an addon back in the day. Which is certainly something people will miss.
    Shift+click for autoloot has always worked for me. Though I am a noob who started only at 1.10. (Major patch features: weather effects) so it might not have been in launch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    AoE loot, mount level changes, mana regen and multitaggign are not UI levels stuff and thus cannot be made with AddOns.
    It's conceivable that you could implement an AOE autoloot using combat events, targeting and the loot APIs (depending how many existed in Classic).
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    It's conceivable that you could implement an AOE autoloot using combat events, targeting and the loot APIs (depending how many existed in Classic).
    Yeah, you probably could automate the process where the game automatically cycles through nearby corpses and loots them, but you couldn't make all of the nearby loot to show in one loot window.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you probably could automate the process where the game automatically cycles through nearby corpses and loots them, but you couldn't make all of the nearby loot to show in one loot window.
    Would there be any gameplay difference?

Most of the time you just AoE-autoloot anyway, unless you're low on bag space.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

You can make AddOns to save talent builds. Doesn't get around the respeck cost, but atleast makes applyign talents fast and easy after respeck.

Since Classic doesn't have cross realm grouping (outside of BGs), LFG tool addon can be made. It will use a custom chat channel to send out scripted messages to communicate the group listings.

the point is not wether you can create an addon to do all that. the point is there were no addons back in vanilla that did all that...

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Would there be any gameplay difference?

Most of the time you just AoE-autoloot anyway, unless you're low on bag space.
    This addon implementation would take slightly more time to execute than the current live version of AoE loot.

They actually did have that for a little while during BC until blizzard tightened up the LUA an rules about addons a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

the point is not wether you can create an addon to do all that. the point is there were no addons back in vanilla that did all that...
    There was no Addons for that in Vanilla because people didn't know how to make them.

They do now.

Deleted
    DBM on Ragnaros mostly just had timers for the different phases.
    We get it, you're fun at parties.

There was no Addons for that in Vanilla because people didn't know how to make them.

They do now.
    Exactly. The addon API was way more open back in the day. People just didn't know how to abuse it properly. Over the years, they have mostly removed what is available to addons (just in Legion it was player position and nameplates in raids, automation of the LFG tool and most recently guild management stuff).

Sure, you will never have 100% reliable damage/threat meters in vanilla, because the combat log was shit until they revamped it completely with Sunwell, but when it comes to accessing the game API, vanilla was the good stuff

- - - Updated - - -

Sure but that took awhile and there wasn't much stopping them from making a new character to be a dick to you after you ignored them. Ignores used to only work on individual characters and were not account wide like they are now.

Problems like that are why a pure vanilla build wouldn't work. Things like targeted harassment were a lot worse back then. Nowadays if you block someone they have to make a new battle.net account and probably buy a new copy of wow in order to harass them.
    Well, if they made a new character, leveled it to 60 and geared enough to be able to get into pugs just to be an asshole again, more power to them.

One the main reasons I find the purists' arguments so ridiculous is because that addons can recreate most of the QoL changes they are raging against. Outside of GF and RF, most of these QoL already have addons that put them in the game.

The reason Blizz started adding these things into the game is because they looked at the top 50 most popular addons that nearly every player was using, and decided to build them into their game.

What's the point of arguing against something that will be there anyways?
    Because many people joined AFTER Vanilla when addons started becoming common. And just because they were popular doesn't mean they benefit the game. I won't miss ilvls. I despised Gearscore and when Blizz implemented it into the game it irked me to no end.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    I have a right to voice my opinion but thanks for proving my point about how toxic the community is. As for the rest of the classic experience its just a blizzard money grab to appease the children that werent born 13 years ago and imagine that they can recreate the legend that was vanilla wow.

And no mate you can't even scratch the surface of what we experienced simply because of your attitude. NOONE in classic would have ever responded the way you just did.

You will go into that mockery of classic and set your group finder to "LF Deadmines group link achievement".

You are incapable of being properly social (as your post has shown) you are incapable of tolerating a different opinion especially when its well endorsed and backed up and you act like you have some special rights over everyone else.

You alone are enough to put a giant dick into any attempt to recreate classic. Classic had decent players mate you are just a bad specimen of whats making wow shit.
    I hate the current state of the game but I want to play on Official servers. Classic it is. Simple, as. If I had the option for TBC/WOTLK id go there. The current state of the game is terrible.
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do I need to counter the opinion of someone who comes into a Classic forum to say Classic is shit?
    because you don't want to exist in an echo chamber. But apparently you do. Which is worrying
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

This addon implementation would take slightly more time to execute than the current live version of AoE loot.

- - - Updated - - -

They do now.
    and isnt this a classic (vanilla)wow discussion? because if not, this topic shouldnt be here... the title reads: "Addons are the reason QoL changes happened" ON A CLASSIC DISCUSSION forum..., to which again i say thats not possible because there were no addons back then....

and isnt this a classic (vanilla)wow discussion? because if not, this topic shouldnt be here... the title reads: "Addons are the reason QoL changes happened" ON A CLASSIC DISCUSSION forum..., to which again i say thats not possible because there were no addons back then....
    This is discussion about World of Warcraft: Classic, a version of the vanilla game to be made playable IN THE FUTURE. Classic running client version below 2.0 doesn't suddenly erase the last 13 years of AddOn development and experience.

An AddOn for thing X might not have existed in vanilla, because people didn't thought about making it, or didn't know how to make it. Now people have the knowledge and ideas to make AddOns that go way beyond what we had 13 years ago. It is guaranteed that such AddOns will be made if Classic has big enough interested community.

You're seriously not trying to say that addons weren't in vanilla wow?
    you sir, need to read all posts instead of just the last one

I strongly suspect Blizzard will have to restrict the available addons for Classic.

Then why the fuck are you here in the Classic forums? If you're not going to play, kindly stumble back to whatever forum hole you crawled out of.

And for the record, the community is not toxic.
    Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Then why the fuck are you here in the Classic forums? If you're not going to play, kindly stumble back to whatever forum hole you crawled out of.

And for the record, the community is not toxic. It's one of the nicest, most supportive communities I've ever been a part of. We are just toxic to jerks like you who coming in here for no other purpose than to shit on a game we like.
    And at this point it is pretty clear that guy just tries to troll.

There is hypocracy and there is that. No one can be so illogical and keeping a straight face.

Deleted
    Not sure if it qualifies as 'add-on', but I remember that at first quite a bit of work was done client side, to reduce stress on the server and internet connections I guess. One of the things done client side was player location, and this was exploited to allow for teleporting. No idea how much of that has changed over the years. That combined with a liberal lua engine and everything else (AVR was killed as late as WLK!) that was possible in vanilla, I'm gaining respect for the team that has to recreate the 'classic' feel without all those unwanted loopholes.

One the main reasons I find the purists' arguments so ridiculous is because that addons can recreate most of the QoL changes they are raging against. Outside of GF and RF, most of these QoL already have addons that put them in the game.

The reason Blizz started adding these things into the game is because they looked at the top 50 most popular addons that nearly every player was using, and decided to build them into their game.

What's the point of arguing against something that will be there anyways?
    Nope, addons actually can't create portals between every major city, transmogs, super fast and easy levelling, the new PvP systems, multiple raid difficulties, the new class designs, auto-TP to every dungeon in the universe, and so on. Sorry.