Deleted
    Incorrect. You believe they deserve some sort of payoff because they have had a role, but their role has always been as a foil or as a support. And they have just lost the role of being a foil to the Blood Elves. Why use the Silver Covenant when you can use the Void Elves going forward?
    That's more or less the gist of it, I believe. If you weren't a Hunter all you saw of the High Elves in Legion was Vereesa, two dudes and a tent. If they appeared, they acted as foils for the Blood Elves and did... basically the same thing as them.
    Where should the lore go? What should be their motivation? Where is their home? At the moment, they act as human side kicks that are used whenever Vereesa needs to make an appearance to be angry at Blood Elves.
    Last edited by mmoc1f722ef552; 2017-12-19 at 12:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taly View Post
    Wrong, all highelves disagreed with this. And i ask me, what you talk about? Vereesa fight in the third war against the Scourge, read the Prolog from War of the Ancient Books, she talk about her bannish from her own homeland. And she told about the fight. After the bann, she goes to dalaran.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Vereesa_Windrunner

I mean, who have this say? I read this so often, but it is so wrong. Who sayd that? I understand every Case from bias, but i don´t understand alternative facts.

And another point, the reason for the banished from her homeland was that many ranger disagreed with the fel-Magic. in Day and Night of Dragon talked she about this fact.

Vereesa sayd herself: "One should not speak of taint who has taken to draining the foul magic of demons."

In the Day of Dragon Novel.
    First, the quote you mentioned is from wowpedia and is unsourced. Even then she didn't fight in Quel'thalas that's for sure since the very intro you mentioned is about Rohnin musing about her hearing the news from OTHER people.

Second, her complaining about fel 'taint' can't be canon (Metzen himself said some parts of the books are non canon) since it was confirmed that only Kael'thas' inner circle knew about the demonic aspect of their abilities, she most certainly wasn't part of that inner circle. The majority of the elven populace had no idea whatsoever, to them they were draining Mana wyrms for survival, the equivalent of a starving man eating a rat. Those vegans who opposed and were exiled all ended up at Quel'lithien lodge.

The rest of the High Elves, like those in the Hinterlands and the Silver Covenant, are those who remained with the Alliance after the second war, they weren't present in Quel'thalas when the scourge attacked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    95% of the lore subsection are the same people posting all over again anyway.
    Yes and that's why we usually rely on GenD to draw some conclusion and even there you hardly get anything resembling the whole picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Second, her complaining about fel 'taint' can't be canon (Metzen himself said some parts of the books are non canon) since it was confirmed that only Kael'thas' inner circle knew about the demonic aspect of their abilities, she most certainly wasn't part of that inner circle. The majority of the elven populace had no idea whatsoever, to them they were draining Mana wyrms for survival, the equivalent of a starving man eating a rat. Those vegans who opposed and were exiled all ended up at Quel'lithien lodge.
    I guess it was canon at the time of writing but the Blood Elven story has been softened/retconned a little from their original introduction.

This is what Metzen said at Blizzcon 2005 about the Blood Elves:

Blood Elves were chosen as the Horde expansion race in the Burning Crusade because designers were thrilled with how well Samwise had redesigned the classic wood elves with the night elves. And they knew that, “one day, high elves are going to have to get a facelift, too.

“I don’t think anyone has abused high elves to this degree,” Metzen said.

“Magic is absolutely corrupting. You shouldn’t play with it.” In the wake of the destruction of the Sunwell, the high elves of Quel’Thalas turned to demonic sources of magical energy to feed their magical addiction (which was thanks to thousands of years of constant exposure to magic, even for the high elves who didn’t practice magic themselves). But messing with “fel energy” is scary stuff, and it frightened the other races in the Alliance. “Dwarves and humans don’t want to hang around them. They’re not returning their phone calls.”

But the Blood Elves “could care less, they’re going to do whatever they have to do.” And thrilled by this new, seemingly endless supply of powerful magical energy, the Blood Elves have a unique take on the shattered planet of Draenor, now known as Outland. “They view Outland as an Eden. … Their homeland is great, but Outland is where their destiny is.”

I don't think Vereesa's character was changed to reflect the ret-conned lore which makes her actions sometimes a bit out of context.

If you assume all Blood Elves are fel-junkies her resistance to them in WotLK make more sense than if you assume most Blood Elves "just" drained mana-wyrns and only a few knew about the fel.

btw, if you look at Metzen's original description of the Blood Elves there seem quite some parallels with the story of the Void Elves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfurion View Post
    I guess it was canon at the time of writing but the Blood Elven story has been softened/retconned a little from their original introduction.

This is what Metzen said at Blizzcon 2005 about the Blood Elves:

Blood Elves were chosen as the Horde expansion race in the Burning Crusade because designers were thrilled with how well Samwise had redesigned the classic wood elves with the night elves. And they knew that, “one day, high elves are going to have to get a facelift, too.

“I don’t think anyone has abused high elves to this degree,” Metzen said.

“Magic is absolutely corrupting. You shouldn’t play with it.” In the wake of the destruction of the Sunwell, the high elves of Quel’Thalas turned to demonic sources of magical energy to feed their magical addiction (which was thanks to thousands of years of constant exposure to magic, even for the high elves who didn’t practice magic themselves). But messing with “fel energy” is scary stuff, and it frightened the other races in the Alliance. “Dwarves and humans don’t want to hang around them. They’re not returning their phone calls.”

But the Blood Elves “could care less, they’re going to do whatever they have to do.” And thrilled by this new, seemingly endless supply of powerful magical energy, the Blood Elves have a unique take on the shattered planet of Draenor, now known as Outland. “They view Outland as an Eden. … Their homeland is great, but Outland is where their destiny is.”

I don't think Vereesa's character was changed to reflect the ret-conned lore which makes her actions sometimes a bit out of context.

If you assume all Blood Elves are fel-junkies her resistance to them in WotLK make more sense than if you assume most Blood Elves "just" drained mana-wyrns and only a few knew about the fel.

btw, if you look at Metzen's original description of the Blood Elves there seem quite some parallels with the story of the Void Elves.
    Interesting information, thank you for that. Is there a source by the way? (Also note, Metzen here flat out calls the Blood Elves High Elves. Again, proof Blizzard sees the groups as one and the same and that High Elves are playable).

And yes, there is an interesting parallel with the Void Elves.

I believe that this story direction for the High/Blood Elves fizzled out. It sort of had to. There's giving a facelift, and there's a complete transformation. Blizzard created the Felblood Elves in TBC to show what the logical end point of the Blood Elves feeding on the stuff would ultimately do.

Had the Sunwell not been restored, Blood Elves would have turned into Felblood elves. And while Blood Elf players were OK with the twist they may not have liked where it was heading in the medium to long term, where they would NOT have been just desperate High Elves anymore.

But once the Sunwell was restored, the days of Blood Elves being crazed junkies was over. Yes, they had the addiction to magic but it was now sated, and sated by a well of holy and arcane energy that will remove the insignificant remnant of the taint as time goes by. The Blood Elves lost that 'twist' of them being mana vampires, and are regular old High Elves again. What the Blood Elves are left with is the political consequences of their choices and the choices others made in regards to them WHILE they were forced to use this magic to survive; their abandonment by the Alliance and their entry into the Horde.

I wonder if that was how the Void Elves came about.

You have to give the thalassian elf model to the Alliance but it can't be a complete copy...you know you are going to be focusing very heavily on the void-light conflict in coming years and the Blood Elves are now a light based race...and that original idea of a group of elves using a forbidden magic that was very attractive at the time but ultimately abandoned due to the demands of the story.

I can sort of see how it might have come together in their heads now.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2017-12-19 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Maybe a better question is why is BLIZZARD, makers of the game and supreme arbiter of the lore, always quick to go to the numbers argument?
    Which also answers the question as to why high elves are still being asked for on the Alliance side and the answer to it is Blizzard's inconsistency. First they can't because of numbers, but then they can despite not having the numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

I can sort of see how it might have come together in their heads now.
    In all fairness, I highly doubt their heads is where this whole idea came from.

If people find the Void Elves too big a departure from a traditional elf, then they are welcome to make a Blood Elf. If they find the Horde not to their taste but still want to play a Thalassian elf, they can roll Void Elf.

If a tiny but loud group of players want to play a race that is exactly like a Blood Elf but is on the Alliance, then they are out of luck. Just like people who like the Draenei model but want to be Horde or Horde Worgen fans.

High Elf fans don't get to special snowflakes who get to carry a complete race over the faction wall and call it a compromise. They can like it (the void elves) or lump it.
    As someone who has often spoken in favor of implementing playable High Elves, I find your entire post absolutely agreeable. I, and many others , have in the past posited that they (High Elves) would likely be physically altered prior to their implementation -- in an effort to create distinction between them and Blood Elves. That is exactly what Void Elves are. Their physical divergence is totally acceptable to anybody who understands how central faction identity is to the game, overall.

The issue, for me, is entirely a matter of narrative peculiarity. If we're understanding what has been datamined correctly, then the TL;DR for Void Elves is as follows:

• Magister Umbric, as well as his cadre of supporters, begin to study the Void. They're banished from Quel'thalas.
    • While seeking to convince the Blood Elves to re-join the Alliance, and promptly being banished from Quel'thalas herself, Alleria learns of and begins tracking Umbric.
    • Alleria catches up to Umbric on a Void-infused world, where Umbric has unearthed an ancient artifact containing untold Void energies. Shortly afterwards, perhaps upon opening said artifact (a cube), Nether-Prince Durzaan appears and claims he's been waiting for the perfect vessel(s) to empower with the Void (presumably, based upon his statements, he intends to create more Ethereals) and proceeds to envelope Umbric and his comrades in raw, Void energy.
    • The sudden influx begins to radically affect their physical forms, infusing them with Void and ultimately changes them into the Void Elves we now know before we can fully interrupt the process.

To me, that scenario reads as absolutely plausible (in-universe). The part that I find odd, from a narrative standpoint, is the complete lack of interplay with the actual High Elves (as in, Silver Covenant) that Alliance players have fawned over and for whom the Void Elves were presented, presumably, as a compromise.

A very simple fix to this, which wouldn't require any re-writing that I'm aware of, would be to add a conversation between Vereesa and Alleria (to be exchanged immediately following the initial quest you grab in the Stormwind Embassy) wherein Vereesa insists that the Silver Covenant accompany Alleria on her sojourn to Quel'thalas. It would be quite characteristic of Vereesa to try and flaunt herself in front of Blood Elves, as she likes to do, and would be agreeable to Alleria as her purpose for going to Silvermoon in the first place is to recruit the Blood Elves back into the Alliance.

End that conversation with a "don't speak, unless spoken to" from Alleria, directed at Vereesa, and you've just created a scenario wherein all of the Silver Covenent is present for the "Voidening" and yet you haven't really done any work to make it believable. Win, win, win on all fronts.

EDIT:

This just came to me as an afterthought, but if Alleria's sojourn to Quel'thalas included Vereesa (as well as only her most staunchly pro-Alliance militants), this could be a good way of integrating what is left (i.e. Silver Covenant who then, in this scenario, remain "pure") back into the fold of the Blood Elves -- which then could allow for the Blood Elves to receive blue eyes as a customization option, while leaving very little room for fuss. This whole ordeal, as presented above, would conclude the "playable High Elf" discussion forever... but in a way that doesn't simply write off the fact that these people have fought, front-and-center, with the Alliance for 10+ years.
    Last edited by Fyersing; 2017-12-19 at 10:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyersing View Post
    As someone who has often spoken in favor of implementing playable High Elves, I find your entire post absolutely agreeable. I, and many others , have in the past posited that they (High Elves) would likely be physically altered prior to their implementation -- in an effort to create distinction between them and Blood Elves. That is exactly what Void Elves are. Their physical divergence is totally acceptable to anybody who understands how central faction identity is to the game, overall.

The issue, for me, is entirely a matter of narrative peculiarity. If we're understanding what has been datamined correctly, then the TL;DR for Void Elves is as follows:

• Magister Umbric, as well as his cadre of supporters, begin to study the Void. They're banished from Quel'thalas.
    • While seeking to convince the Blood Elves to re-join the Alliance, and promptly being banished from Quel'thalas herself, Alleria learns of and begins tracking Umbric.
    • Alleria catches up to Umbric on a Void-infused world, where Umbric has unearthed an ancient artifact containing untold Void energies. Shortly afterwards, perhaps upon opening said artifact (a cube), Nether-Prince Durzaan appears and claims he's been waiting for the perfect vessel(s) to empower with the Void (presumably, based upon his statements, he intends to create more Ethereals) and proceeds to envelope Umbric and his comrades in raw, Void energy.
    • The sudden influx begins to radically affect their physical forms, infusing them with Void and ultimately changes them into the Void Elves we now know before we can fully interrupt the process.

To me, that scenario reads as absolutely plausible (in-universe). The part that I find odd, from a narrative standpoint, is the complete lack of interplay with the actual High Elves (as in, Silver Covenant) that Alliance players have fawned over and for whom the Void Elves were presented, presumably, as a compromise.

A very simple fix to this, which wouldn't require any re-writing that I'm aware of, would be to add a conversation between Vereesa and Alleria (to be exchanged immediately following the initial quest you grab in the Stormwind Embassy) wherein Vereesa insists that the Silver Covenant accompany Alleria on her sojourn to Quel'thalas. It would be quite characteristic of Vereesa to try and flaunt herself in front of Blood Elves, as she likes to do, and would be agreeable to Alleria as her purpose for going to Silvermoon in the first place is to recruit the Blood Elves back into the Alliance.

End that conversation with a "don't speak, unless spoken to" from Alleria, directed at Vereesa, and you've just created a scenario wherein all of the Silver Covenent is present for the "Voidening" and yet you haven't really done any work to make it believable. Win, win, win on all fronts.

EDIT:

This just came to me as an afterthought, but if Alleria's sojourn to Quel'thalas included Vereesa (as well as only her most staunchly pro-Alliance militants), this could be a good way of integrating what is left (i.e. Silver Covenant who then, in this scenario, remain "pure") back into the fold of the Blood Elves -- which then could allow for the Blood Elves to receive blue eyes as a customization option, while leaving very little room for fuss. This whole ordeal, as presented above, would conclude the "playable High Elf" discussion forever... but in a way that doesn't simply write off the fact that these people have fought, front-and-center, with the Alliance for 10+ years.

You have to remember that at this point, the entire scenario is voice acted. The dialogue is written months in advance, then they hire the actors, book them in and record the dialogue in bulk. Not to mention the time they have spent on constructing the scenarios and building the quests. All of this is in a development pipeline, and each time one task is completed they move on to the next.

In theory they could make the alterations you have suggested but in practice it is extremely unlikely. It would mean taking time away from something else. Even your suggestion of an unvoiced conversation between Veressa and Alleria won't work because the scenario would have to be modified with Veressa inside of it. That is time and effort. I can't see Blizzard doing this.

Also Alleria would be allowed back into Silvermoon because she is an unknown quantity. I think Veressa has to be persona non gratis after Dalaran. She and her Silver Covenant won't be allowed in.

The High Elves of the Silver Covenant may still have a final reckoning on Darkshore though.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2017-12-19 at 11:22 PM.

You have to remember that at this point, the entire scenario is voice acted. The dialogue is written months in advance, then they hire the actors, book them in and record the dialogue in bulk. Not to mention the time they have spent on constructing the scenarios and building the quests. All of this is in a development pipeline, and each time one task is completed they move on to the next.

In theory they could make the alterations you have suggested but in practice it is extremely unlikely. It would mean taking time away from something else. Even your suggestion of an unvoiced conversation between Veressa and Alleria won't work because the scenario would have to be modified with Veressa inside of it. That is time and effort. I can't see Blizzard doing this.
    Oh, I don't see them making changes either.

I just think it's worth noting that there are really two types of people who tend to champion the cause of "playable High Elves": the first group being comprised of people whose interest was entirely upon the character model (i.e. people who can't be asked to critically imagine how copy-pasting a playable race from the Horde would be detrimental to the faction's identity) and the second group who were very specifically interested in continuing the narrative (i.e. people who want to pick up where the Silver Covenant / High Elves story arc left off, but who aren't overly fanatical about the character model itself).

The first group quite literally want the proto-typical Thalassian Elves on the Alliance, whereas the latter almost exclusively ask only that the storylines that are almost a decade old continue in some fashion (even if that means that said groups, in this case High Elves/ Silver Covenant, have to go through a radical evolution of sorts). If we were referencing only the "pro-High Elf" crowd, the current narrative underpinnings for Void Elves appeases neither group -- something similar to what I stated would've at least appeased the more reasonable request(s) made by the latter group.

Also Alleria would be allowed back into Silvermoon because she is an unknown quantity. I think Veressa has to be persona non gratis after Dalaran. She and her Silver Covenant won't be allowed in.
    She wouldn't need to be in Silvermoon. Her skulking about in the Ghostlands as we, the player, trace the steps of Umbric's group would've been enough tie-in for them (Blizzard) to reasonably suggest that most Void Elves were former High Elves. As someone who plays both factions, albeit leaning heavily towards the Alliance, I feel like this iteration of the story actually takes a shot at both factions -- Blood Elves lose a powerful Magister, and perhaps many promising pupils, who otherwise could've given them some of their pre-Sunwell pizazz back and the High Elves, the logical tie-in to the Alliance, are nowhere to be seen. Just, sloppy.

The High Elves of the Silver Covenant may still have a final reckoning on Darkshore though.
    We'll see how it plays out. If they're being sent off with a fizzle, by being mowed through like Iron Horde infantrymen, instead of just forming the nucleus of the Void Elves and satisfying all parties, or at least more parties, in the process... it'll just be another notch on the "whoever storyboards this shit in the boardroom should be dragged into the basement and forced to listen to Justin Biebers' early music on repeat for hours".

You know I thought about their participation in Legion during the Hunter campaign, then I remembered they joined at the same time as the Farstriders.
    And what does that anecdote has to do with the previous point? I clearly stated that even, even if the SC are nothing but a foil fro Belves, they still have to be addressed and resolved on any way.

Incorrect. You believe they deserve some sort of payoff because they have had a role, but their role has always been as a foil or as a support. And they have just lost the role of being a foil to the Blood Elves. Why use the Silver Covenant when you can use the Void Elves going forward? Regardless, Blizzard have been quite vicious cutting off plotlines they feel are no longer relevant.
    In WoD they cut out the plot of Taran Zhu following Garrosh to Draenor in a bid to recapture him because they felt that Taran Zhu was more of the previous expansion than the new one and they didn't want to 'confuse' players. It's not an approach to the story I support at all, but Blizzard have form. If you get a pay off to the SC it is because you are fortunate enough that Blizzard deigned to give you one. You and the wider playerbase are not owed one. They could be left to rot in Dalaran for the rest of the game now that Void Elves have arrived and be barely mentioned in future.

Again, even by your own subjective measure that have only acted on a support/foil role, they still have taken up a space within the narrative, a definite role and a presence that keeps being brought up. Outright replacing the High Elves with Void Elves doesn't solve any problem of the hanging High Elf Thread, a thread people keep asking to be addressed somehow. Blizzard is well within their rights to cut any plot line they want.

And we are all within our right to point out how that's just mediocre writing.

Also that Taran Zhu example? Irrelevant to the point. We are talking about the fate of a whole group of people who has been left hanging since WoW, not about one character's actions or arc. Things would be more different if all it was about Vereesa, yet obviously it is not.

The only missed opportunity that exists in regards to High Elves was that Blizzard said a few of them remained with the Alliance. The entire race should have left the Alliance and left virtually nothing behind except Veressa. Would have spared us the endless debate and Void Elves too.
    Yet because of blizzard narrative choices, we are all on this discussion. They could have literally just disbanded the Silver Covenant after WotLK and personally I just wouldn't have a reason to discuss. Blame Blizz for their apparent need to have the SC continually popping in lore doing stuff and not just writing them out, as they should if they really are looking to not give them any spotlight.

I am also uninterested in the specifics of what High Elf fans want. What the want always boils down to the Horde race on the Alliance side. That is a grotesquely unfair request to the Horde. If you want to play our races, you have to play our faction.
    This argument just sounds a lot like irrational "faction pride" and yeah, what even. I play horde, so this argument is not for me. As for the real concerns that giving high elves to the alliance that look just like blood elves -which, again, it would have been simply and easily sidestepped by voiding the SC- like the possible exodus of apparently the large population of BE players that are being held hostage (?) on the horde, I'm pretty sure there are more possible ways to strive for a population balance. Fleshy undead would give the horde the most popular model on the alliance -in the game.

Unwilling might have worked. But we will never know as that is not the route Blizzard chose. Blizzard chose a group of Elves who experimented with the void against all warnings and earned their dark fate.
    Choices, choices. And theirs was the one that came absolutely out of nowhere in terms of lore.

Allow me a flight of fancy for a second; Imagine that in 7.3 Vereesa doesn't arrive at the Vindicaar alone, she brings with herself her SC strike team, you can even have Summoner Norlic in there because of his knowledge, and you can even have him interact with Alleria, who might even appreciate his willingness to get "his hands dirty" then have those SC high elves play a role on Alleria's void sojourn, know of it, maybe fearful of it, but Nolric, very interested on it.

To what end? So that roleplayers can actually be a High Elf rather than pretend they are as many of them have said they will?
    No, to address High Elven lore, SC lore. You do realize this is my whole motivation, yet you keep apparently forgetting about it.

I am just opposed to High Elves becoming playable as is. I think Void Elves are an asspull but I support them because they kill the possibility of playable High Elves. I wouldn't have cared where they come from. What I am opposed to is people still trying to argue that Void Elves DIDN'T kill the possibility of playable High Elves. It was vanishingly unlikely before, it is impossible now. No way is Blizzard going to the give the Alliance TWO variations on a core Horde race....and a variation that is basically reinventing the wheel at that.
    Maybe void elves killed the possibility of high elves, I don't care.

Again, my point is the ultimate failure to address high elven lore in any way, when this was the perfect opportunity to do so. People will still wonder about the high elves and what happened to them. You can just yell loud enough abou people asking about high elves when not even now there's an answer.

YES THEY ARE PLAYABLE. I have no truck with this rubbish position that a political opinion means the High Elves are a different race. They are not. This race is playable. A variant of them is also playable. What is not playable is the non variant race on the blue faction.
    And you still remain on that myopic focus that "they are the same race" is somehow relevant to the specifics of this discussion. Silver Covenant High Elves are not playable, feel free to disagree they should all you want, but don't deny the facts. It is their lore, their presence what many of us feel has to be addressed. Your constant refusal of this fact is what make it sound you are not willing to understand our issues.

The many reasons people want High Elves? I don't care. It all boils down to the same result. A copy of a Horde race on the Alliance side without modification.

This talk of different model (which is a ridiculous and selfish suggestion, they haven't even gotten around to redoing the Goblin or Worgen models and these guys want them to reinvent the wheel. Blizzard could spend the time giving us Ogres) isn't going to happen.

They gave the Alliance a modified thalassian elf. It was too different. What they want is a pale, blond elf on the Alliance. That is precisely what they can't have, any more than they can have Orcs or Tauren.
    And again, me and many others have pointed out that High Elves could have been changed in any number of ways to avoid this. Even with void.

The fact that you admit that you don't care why people want high elves is a clear indication you have no interest in hear anything we have to say about it. Which makes me wonder why you argue against it.

This bolded statement is wild. Do you realize that's exactly what they did with void elves?

And again you go about the "pale, blonde elf on the alliance." That argument is not aimed towards me, that's not the reason why I care about High Elven lore. -yet, I would LOVE to be a basic blond bitch if I could <3-

More exasperation. Kill the Silver Covenant and I would like to see you talk about their unresolved potential. Hard to have unresolved story potential when you are rotting in a mass grave in Darkshore. It will take the wind out of the sails of the pro High Elfers permanently and led to my ultimate retort on this topic. 'The High Elves are all dead and you've got playable Void Elves'.
    Bhahah, I have LITERALLY mentioned several times that I'm on board with the idea of just killing off the Silver Covenant because it would give them resolution.

Again, remember you are discussion with me, not the high elf fanboy strawman that you have conjured on your mind.

Personally I think blizzard should just add a questline for both horde and alliance that shows the remaining high elves gathered up and resettled into silvermoon or a new town outside of it. Lorewise Bloodelves green eyes should be going turning gold because of the sunwell. High elves eyes should be turning gold as well. Since they are allowed to visit and draw power from the new Sunwell(since Wrath). Blizzard can keep Vereesa self hating group part of the alliance and then have them all killed off by Naga or something to progress the story.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggler View Post
    That's more or less the gist of it, I believe. If you weren't a Hunter all you saw of the High Elves in Legion was Vereesa, two dudes and a tent. If they appeared, they acted as foils for the Blood Elves and did... basically the same thing as them.
    Where should the lore go? What should be their motivation? Where is their home? At the moment, they act as human side kicks that are used whenever Vereesa needs to make an appearance to be angry at Blood Elves.
    I mean, is rather obvious that the people that care about high elves are mostly the people that overall are very into the lore of the warcraft universe, and many like me, that have liked them since War II, to us they are always going to be an iconic alliance race, and the fact that they keep popping on the world, even as "Vereesa and two dudes on a tent" show us they are still relevant to the universe.

So, why not address those expectations? why not do it on a way you could have separated them even further from Blood Elves? Void Elves could have been that opportunity to address high elven lore in a definitive way, by making their last organized faction into void elves, the one faction that has actually been having play time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    Personally I think blizzard should just add a questline for both horde and alliance that shows the remaining high elves gathered up and resettled into silvermoon or a new town outside of it. Lorewise Bloodelves green eyes should be going turning gold because of the sunwell. High elves eyes should be turning gold as well. Since they are allowed to visit and draw power from the new Sunwell(since Wrath). Blizzard can keep Vereesa self hating group part of the alliance and then have them all killed off by Naga or something to progress the story.
    Regardless the clear anti high elf bias, yeah.

If they actually showcased within the narrative, an effort to say most high elves are just going "neutral" and returning to Quel'danas, or just dissolving into human populations, all you have to worry is about Vereesa's Silver Covenant.

They could have been camping in Silithus...

But yeah, the point is to address them; they have been featured too many times to just not resolve their storyline somehow. Even if it's all of the SC eating an expired wedding cake and dying of food poisoning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    I mean, is rather obvious that the people that care about high elves are mostly the people that overall are very into the lore of the warcraft universe, and many like me, that have liked them since War II, to us they are always going to be an iconic alliance race, and the fact that they keep popping on the world, even as "Vereesa and two dudes on a tent" show us they are still relevant to the universe.

So, why not address those expectations? why not do it on a way you could have separated them even further from Blood Elves? Void Elves could have been that opportunity to address high elven lore in a definitive way, by making their last organized faction into void elves, the one faction that has actually been having play time.

- - - Updated - - -

Regardless the clear anti high elf bias, yeah.

If they actually showcased within the narrative, an effort to say most high elves are just going "neutral" and returning to Quel'danas, or just dissolving into human populations, all you have to worry is about Vereesa's Silver Covenant.

They could have been camping in Silithus...

But yeah, the point is to address them; they have been featured too many times to just not resolve their storyline somehow. Even if it's all of the SC eating an expired wedding cake and dying of food poisoning.
    The problem with the Silver covenant is, that they were always just a Blood Elven mirror. Whether it was Dalaran, Crystalsong forest, the argent tournament, Zul'Again orthe Isle of Thunder.

I'd say, give them a last hurrah at darkshore or whatever, give Vereesa the peace she deserves and move on. They couldn't find a place for them in the world other than "Blood Elves, but in blue", so maybe it's better for them to just make way for something new.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggler View Post
    The problem with the Silver covenant is, that they were always just a Blood Elven mirror. Whether it was Dalaran, Crystalsong forest, the argent tournament, Zul'Again orthe Isle of Thunder.

I'd say, give them a last hurrah at darkshore or whatever, give Vereesa the peace she deserves and move on. They couldn't find a place for them in the world other than "Blood Elves, but in blue", so maybe it's better for them to just make way for something new.
    While I agree with the second part of your statement, I don't really agree with the SC just being a blood elven mirror, or how that can't be, well, couldn't have been a step towards something more. But yeah, the fact that they already stood in opposition to what the blood elves represent is already a characterization, the fact that they even acted violently and went to an all out war tells us of the depth of that opposition and animosity, and I believe we could have followed through with that, and delve deeper on it.

Now the void elves might very well occupy that space, and well, why? when you already had high elves? The impact that has on lore is how the elves just keep splintering, and that's just not good for the blood elves. I keep saying you could have voided the Silver Covenant, and keep right back at that animosity they have had since WotLK.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    I keep saying you could have voided the Silver Covenant, and keep right back at that animosity they have had since WotLK.
    This is pretty much all there is to say.

The current iteration of Void Elves essentially robs the Horde of characters who might've been able to rekindle a bit of that magical edginess they've been lacking since pre-Sunwell Plateau, while also failing to foster interplay between the Void Elves and the High Elves who've been present and loyal to the Alliance for over a decade. Basically, the narrative as we've come to understand it is a compromise that neither fanbase (either Blood Elf or High Elf) could find wholly agreeable.

A somewhat simple re-iteration which explained that most Void Elves are, in fact, "Voidforged" High Elves would allow at least for the Alliance to be placated in the ordeal -- which seems like something that would be nice, considering, you know, Void Elves are an Allied Race presented to their faction.

Deleted
    I am also uninterested in the specifics of what High Elf fans want. What the want always boils down to the Horde race on the Alliance side. That is a grotesquely unfair request to the Horde. If you want to play our races, you have to play our faction.
    Honestly, I don't understand why you bother with the massive walls of text when this is your core argument. You clearly believe that the Horde owns the entire high/blood elf race, and you're upset with the idea that someone else might also get to play with your shiny toys. Every argument you make just seeks to confirm that they are indeed yours and not anyone else's.

It's rather petty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentX View Post
    Honestly, I don't understand why you bother with the massive walls of text when this is your core argument. You clearly believe that the Horde owns the entire high/blood elf race, and you're upset with the idea that someone else might also get to play with your shiny toys. Every argument you make just seeks to confirm that they are indeed yours and not anyone else's.

It's rather petty.
    If it makes you feel better I feel the exact same way regarding Orcs, Trolls, Tauren, Forsaken and Goblins but I've not seen a thirteen year long whingefest trying to make them playable for the Alliance.

And I believe that the Alliance races belong on the Alliance.

Faction identity is important, and High Elves on the Alliance is a blow to that. The factions should remain as unique as possible.

I've said this several times, this isn't about the race. It's about the faction.

If you want to play a High Elf, roll Horde.

Also, regarding this being petty, it's a faction based game. If you want to play a Blood Elf so much why don't you start campaigning for the faction wall to come down so that everyone can play with everyone and Alliance Blood Elf wannabes don't get singled out for special treatment over say, Horde Worgen fans?

Deleted
    Classic Blizzard really.

Listening to what people want (and wanted for 10+ years) and then giving them something that's close, but also far off enough to annoy people.

Deleted
    it's a faction based game
    [citation needed]

Because clearly 'faction' is the only thing dictating anything in WoW.

But we get it. Anyone else asking for *your* toys offends you.