10+ Year Old Account

Blizz are geniuses...

By announcing "Classic" servers they do a few things.

1. They put a stop to people asking for it. Now its just when.. and they can handle that. **SOON**...
    2. They turn the people asking for it kinda against each other by saying what should/shouldn't be in "Classic".
    3. They will definitely make $$ off these servers.

Quote Originally Posted by notraakaakaa View Post
    2. They turn the people asking for it kinda against each other by saying what should/shouldn't be in "Classic".
    I highly doubt that was by design.

Quote Originally Posted by notraakaakaa View Post
    By announcing "Classic" servers they do a few things.

3. They will definitely make $$ off these servers.
    They will? Wasn't the narrative of anti legacy servers folks that it wasnt profitable and all that crap? Did it change? I'm all up for changes in bshit narratives, i just like to be informed!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    They will? Wasn't the narrative of anti legacy servers folks that it wasnt profitable and all that crap? Did it change? I'm all up for changes in bshit narratives, i just like to be informed!
    People re-subbing at very least will make them more $$

Deleted
    said no one, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
    of course it was.
    conflict leads to drama, leads to publicity, leads to hype, leads to expectation, which will ultimately mean more money in the end
    Of course it wasn't by design... they didn't need to cause that to occur. It was guaranteed to occur with or without any input from Blizzard from the moment they announced they were making classic servers.

They've basically said nothing in response any questions asked of them other than "tbc" or "we don't know" and "we are still working that out". The alternative was say absolutely nothing to questions asked and even then people would have interpreted that in some way and made the exact same threads that are being made right now about how Vanilla Classic should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    Now their narrative switched to "I'm the only one who remembers what vanilla was like and I can tell you will hate it because <insert random bs issue that literally everyone is aware of and liked vanilla anyway>".

Happy to keep you posted about the change in narrative

Deleted
    They actually created a hype to certain veterans to resub.
    I leveled all the way to 81 without any XP boost taking my time visiting places etc, and still going strong. Others might have experienced legion allready starting from that day that Classic servers were announced.
    At the same moment, initial frentic activity in various forums started to settle down, and now all we have to wait for, is for classic servers to actually go live!

If anything, the biggest benefit is that the main controversy and trolling will die out before it really gets here. People will just get bored.

Deleted
    of course it was.
    conflict leads to drama, leads to publicity, leads to hype, leads to expectation, which will ultimately mean more money in the end
    Working as intended

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    said no one, ever.
    Well, he just did.

of course it was.
    Yep.. I've seen several articles come up in Flipboard about the wars raging over this topic recently.

Free publicity for Blizz.

can we fucking please stop. not everything is a god damn conspiracy. everyone take a deep breath...

4. They delegitimise the people saying playing on Private Servers is not a crime, because Blizzard CHOSE to not offer them what they want to have.

I feel this is the biggest one. You had the same rethoric every time Blizzard closed down a Private Server.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    can we fucking please stop. not everything is a god damn conspiracy. everyone take a deep breath...
    Wanna know whats worse? People who think someone posting a well thought out plan is a conspiracy... How is what the OP posted a conspiracy? Surely a conspiracy is something bigger, something much, much more.

If you think Blizzard does not think things well in advance and plans things well, then you are naive as it gets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    Of course it wasn't by design... they didn't need to cause that to occur. It was guaranteed to occur with or without any input from Blizzard from the moment they announced they were making classic servers.

They've basically said nothing in response any questions asked of them other than "tbc" or "we don't know" and "we are still working that out". The alternative was say absolutely nothing to questions asked and even then people would have interpreted that in some way and made the exact same threads that are being made right now about how Vanilla Classic should be.
    I feel like it's sort of on purpose. They probably noticed that internal discussion about 'vanilla' went in the same manner; "where do we start", "what is allowed", "what is classic", "can we have addons". And no matter what they would have came up with would have caused a shitstorm regardless, so they just threw out the "we are going to do classic" without -any- details about how. This starts up the public discussion among the fanbase and they hope that people will realize that there is no easy answer as to what 'classic' wow is. in order to make the anouncement of what classic will eventually be easier.

And tbh at this point it's probably best for them to stick as close to wow 1.0 as they can. Because that's easiest to de defend. And even then I think it's going to be a shitstorm for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    said no one, ever.
    huhuhu blizzard are dumbs xD

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    4. They delegitimise the people saying playing on Private Servers is not a crime, because Blizzard CHOSE to not offer them what they want to have.

I feel this is the biggest one. You had the same rethoric every time Blizzard closed down a Private Server.
    Thankfully all decent private servers around already made public statements through their communication channels announcing that they were extremely excited with the news and will shutdown as soon as Blizz opens the servers.

The announcement has also had a big impact on the private server scene - there was an initial increase in active players but it has actually dropped down lower than it was before the announcement.
    Classic WoW Content Creator - Daily Streams and Bi-Weekly Videos!
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/staysafetv
    YouTube: https://youtube.com/staysafetv

of course it was.
    It helped that they clearly intentionally chose the "you think you do, but you don't" guy to make the announcement. I'm pretty confident this was all a strategic move to transition nerdrage into nerdhype. An infinitely renewable resource that should be more than enough to power the extra servers and team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.