Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Their approach is wrong. Blanket statements are never a good way to approach sensitive issues.

Burly Bob isn't going to respond well to fluffy terms, it's disrespectful and patronizing. Silly Suzy isn't going to respond well to being called fat and obese, it's disrespectful and mean. Literal Larry isn't going to respond well to a professional mincing words to spare his feelings, it's disrespectful and demeaning to oneself.

Staying in the stupid lane and simply reversing direction says a lot about the people in charge over there.

But the NSW Health policy has been criticised by the Australian Medical Association, which said “sugar-coating” the issue wasn’t going to help win the battle of the bulge.
    Sugar-coating seems like a terrible idea when treating obesity It is probably what got them fat in the first place.

Hello? Are you up there Aliens or divine beings? This species is ready for the Clean Slate initiative. Unbelievable....

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    Good grief. Is this where we at?
    Don't these people see the vast destruction that the obesity is causing. Quit sugarcoating the issue. Don't tell people they're "fine as they are" if they're not.

We really must all do our part to dissuade such negative action.

How do you feel about this disappointing news story?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/li...e4342ffe892e6b
    I'd call it conservatives getting offended at anything that upsets their hyper-consumer culture.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm deeply offended at you expecting doctors to call overweight people obese.

Realty is I'm not, obesity is a problem and it needs to be called what it is, don't sugar coat it.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    It's the way we eat these days, unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy food and since people work long hours they don't get time to cook from scratch every day. Easier to pick up fast food or whack a ready meal in the microwave or munch on snacks. Not to mention chugging sugary drinks like Coca Cola...

Poor people are more likely to struggle with weight for this reason, while rich people get more leasure time to hit the gym and eat something healthy.

Alot of it is poor knowledge on the part of consumers too. Chief example is that "low fat" food is actually worse for you than the full fat stuff. If something is low fat is just has more sugar to compensate, but if you want to lose weight you need a high fat and low sugar (carb) diet. I always buy full fat versions of everything for this reason... anything to control my own weight, since I'm not super active.

Obesity started becoming a problem when all this processed, pre-made shit became commonplace to buy in supermarkets. Never used to be a thing that you'd buy crisps and biscuits and chocolate and fizzy drinks etc. You used to have to cook from scratch if you wanted good food.

Anyway on topic, 99% of fat people are perfectly aware already that they are fat. They are fat, not morons. As Dys said everyone needs their own approach as well. Some may be offended if you outright say they are fat, some might be offended if you don't. It's almost like fat people are all unique humans with their own personalities or something.

Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    Don't use the C word, it's very full of negativity. Use "Happy Growth" instead.
    I regret to inform you that you may or may not have a happy growth.

Doctors are the last people that should be sugar coating things. People not taking their health seriously is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    Sugar-coating seems like a terrible idea when treating obesity It is probably what got them fat in the first place.
    FINALLY, someone made a sugar coaking joke, as soon as i read it i'm like incoming sugar coating jokes and i had to wait until page fucking 2.

mmo-c shame on you.

OT: it's a fucking medical word, whats next telling terminally ill patients they're just a little under the weather?

fuck these triggered people fat or not, whoever is being to triggered can sugarcoat their own shit and eat it, let medical professionals do their job, if they can't at least hire some like 8 year old kid who loves to bully, he/she will mock and poke fun at the fat person and tell them straight, and because the child is 8 no-one can do a damn thing about it.

Deleted
    As much as I find it a stupid notion, I don't think that the prior solved many issues either. So it is a side grade essentially.

Quote Originally Posted by Neps View Post
    Some may be offended if you outright say they are fat, some might be offended if you don't. It's almost like fat people are all unique humans with their own personalities or something.
    this so much i have a fat friend who knows he's is fat and has been doing his best to lose weight he still calls himself a fat bastard, he knows why he got obese it was a diet of nothing but fast food for years but he's not in fucking denial crying about it he's lost just over 8 stone and is still losing weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I'm deeply offended at you expecting doctors to call overweight people obese.
    It's funny. The two aren't synonymous. Overweight is a BMI greater than or equal to 25 and obesity is a BMI greater than or equal to 30. Which means calling an overweight person obese is wrong.

I don't agree with them banning overweight or obese since they are legitimate medical terms, but there really isn't much justification for your doctor calling you fat. It's just a plain insult. (I'm don't necessarily think it should be banned, but I also think that the doctor should be prepared to deal with angry patients in that case).

That said there is one interesting thing about the phrase "well above a healthy weight.” In some ways it's more meaningful than obese. It runs a steamroller over the "healthy at any weight" crap. Not probably the intention though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dys View Post
    Their approach is wrong. Blanket statements are never a good way to approach sensitive issues.

Burly Bob isn't going to respond well to fluffy terms, it's disrespectful and patronizing. Silly Suzy isn't going to respond well to being called fat and obese, it's disrespectful and mean. Literal Larry isn't going to respond well to a professional mincing words to spare his feelings, it's disrespectful and demeaning to oneself.

Staying in the stupid lane and simply reversing direction says a lot about the people in charge over there.
    My doctor knows this: speak to me as if I'm another medical professional, and I'll ask questions if I don't understand.

That's the only way doctors should work, but unfortunately... people.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    So now even doctors can't use medical terms in a medical environment because people get triggered? I don't know if I should laugh or cry.
    thats been happening for ages though lets not forget

Retard
    Negroid
    Imbecile
    Mongoloid
    Lame

all official scientific words now with bad connotations

Quote Originally Posted by tripconn View Post
    thats been happening for ages though lets not forget

Retard
    Negroid
    Imbecile
    Mongoloid
    Lame

all official scientific words now with bad connotations
    well i know people on the internet call things like don't like doing or don't like "aids" or "cancer" so soon doctors will have to find a way to explain to people they have aids or cancer without using those words i guess.

don't want to offend people with medical terms because it's used as an insult on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just call them tube max lmao (see if anyone gets it for a medical setting).

Because words are powerful. They can affect your mood, etc. Well, I understand the choice of words is very important.

Sick pleasure? It's raising awareness mate. I suggest you also try to make a difference.

It's not fat shaming to educate others about the obesity crisis. I'm very disappointed in you.
    Yet this education will not help the world because most people on this forum look upon you as a troll.

So in other words you are only hurting your "cause" by trying to be the voice of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd be more offended if someone said I was thin.

so the far-left have pretty much become science deniers.

first sex and now weight.

no better than flat earthers, and climate deniers

10+ Year Old Account
    Which avatar though?

Plus it's not my fault nobody else is raising this issue on here. Not sure why..
    Is a difference between helping people be healthier and your obvious agenda and hate of fat people....but I'm surprised you can't tell the difference.

Honestly? How does this help anyone get healthier? I don't see a single word of yours trying to promote health...pretty much just a whining thread that they can't use one of your favorite words.

Probably just pissed because one day you might be looked down upon for yelling "OBESE" at fat people you see on the streets, but I'm sure you'll probably try to blame in on tourettes or something.
    Last edited by Kithelle; 2017-12-20 at 04:04 AM.