Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I laugh at this because addons are one of the things that allowed WoW in vanilla to take the top spot as an MMO

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyart View Post
    it uses less resources then recount, also looks more crisp
    It is funny, people said the same thing about damage meters > Recount, then Recount > Skada and lastly Skada to Details

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Addons should be allowed... but only the addons that were available during Vanilla. Gotta keep the experience as clean as possible. Also, Thottbot should be resurrected.
    and how do you want to do that? if an addon uses a specific part of the API, then this part of the API is free game for all other forms of addons.
    as others mentioned, classic addons could do alot, so by allowing them, you would allow modern addon makers to do way more than was thought possible in classic.

think of it like this: you get a building kit that contains all kind of stuff. you could build an engine (for example) but with the same parts, someone could build a bomb.
    the only way to limit what can be build with the kit is to not include crucial parts in it.

same with addons. the only way for them to police unwanted addons that use the same API as the allowed addons would be to constandly monitor user data and manually ban people. (what they did with the transmog-anything-addon i cannot remember the name of)

10+ Year Old Account
    One can only hope for no addons.

WoW as a game, the regular game that is, would also be better with 0 addons.

First reply says it all. This topic is very unnecessary since addons will not be "banned", they were in vanilla so they will be in Classic. Nothing else makes sense.

Which also concludes that this entire thread makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    1. Won't happen.

2. Shit thread.
    I disagree. I think it's actually:

1. No fucking way that can happen in one billion years ever, because it's so retarded that it's actually amazing that someone actually thought about it actually (notice the use of "actually", it's actually insane)

2. Shit is not a strong enough word to describe this thread, in fact I think there's no such word in any language on Earth, so we actually need to actually close this thread until NASA actually reaches an extraterrestrial intelligence that actually has a word in their language that can actually be applied here.

Considering how difficult it'd be for them to replicate the kind of addons that were available in Vanilla and also restrict people from introducing more modern addons, "no addons" might actually be a pretty good solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they disallowed addons, the main problem I can see is some bosses being really difficult for tank switching without a threat meter. Almost every raid boss was taunt immune.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Addons should be allowed... but only the addons that were available during Vanilla. Gotta keep the experience as clean as possible. Also, Thottbot should be resurrected.
    And wowwiki :P

Thing is, how would they do it? I guess they could make a short list of popular addons and literally restrict it to just those. But then they'd have to maintain the addons themselves and the API that runs them. If they open the API up to addon writers, they will definitely push its limits to see what they can implement. They can't use the original API because apparently it was considerably less restrictive than the modern one, and the modern API probably wouldn't run antique Vanilla addons...

This is actually a really hairy problem to address.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erinhia View Post
    If they disallowed addons, the main problem I can see is some bosses being really difficult for tank switching without a threat meter. Almost every raid boss was taunt immune.
    How did that even work? Did tanks not need to swap stacks? Or did they literally need to watch the relative threat and stop attacking to drop it? You'd definitely need addons for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    How did that even work? Did tanks not need to swap stacks? Or did they literally need to watch the relative threat and stop attacking to drop it? You'd definitely need addons for that.
    That's more or less exactly how it worked, yeah. You had to keep the tanks close on threat, and stop attacking when you wanted to swap. Some bosses had threat-reducing knockbacks or debuffs to help with swapping.

Though it's worth remembering a lot of bosses didn't need tank swaps at all, but there were several who did.

On Vael, for example, you had to have like 4 different tanks because after X amount of time your current tank would explode and die. You'd have to make sure all the tanks were above all of the DPS, and make sure that when the current tank was ready to blow, another tank was next in line to take aggro because Vael was taunt immune. I'm sure every guild working on Vael had at least one hilarious moment where the MT died and he then aggroed onto a mage, turned to face the raid and fire-breathed everyone. (Or that one time when he aggroed a mechanical chicken in my raid...)

On Huhuran you had to make sure both tanks stayed above all the DPS the whole time (DPS would have to stop if they started climbing above the offtank). She'd then Sleep one of the tanks and the other tank would need to take over threat, and the OT would have to top up. Without a threat meter all this juggling would be pretty tricky.

Broodlord Lashlayer was another taunt immune one, and he would cast a knockback on the current tank to reduce their threat, so you'd have to make sure your DPS kept below the threat cap while your tanks swapped him around on knockback.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Quote Originally Posted by Erinhia View Post
    That's more or less exactly how it worked, yeah. You had to keep the tanks close on threat, and stop attacking when you wanted to swap. Some bosses had threat-reducing knockbacks or debuffs to help with swapping.

Though it's worth remembering a lot of bosses didn't need tank swaps at all, but there were several who did.

On Vael, for example, you had to have like 4 different tanks because after X amount of time your current tank would explode and die. You'd have to make sure all the tanks were above all of the DPS, and make sure that when the current tank was ready to blow, another tank was next in line to take aggro because Vael was taunt immune. I'm sure every guild working on Vael had at least one hilarious moment where the MT died and he then aggroed onto a mage, turned to face the raid and fire-breathed everyone. (Or that one time when he aggroed a mechanical chicken in my raid...)

On Huhuran you had to make sure both tanks stayed above all the DPS the whole time (DPS would have to stop if they started climbing above the offtank). She'd then Sleep one of the tanks and the other tank would need to take over threat, and the OT would have to top up. Without a threat meter all this juggling would be pretty tricky.

Broodlord Lashlayer was another taunt immune one, and he would cast a knockback on the current tank to reduce their threat, so you'd have to make sure your DPS kept below the threat cap while your tanks swapped him around on knockback.
    Sometimes I wonder how Blizzard ever expected anyone to play the game before mods. Jesus UI team, do your damn job.

Deleted
    Then Blizz aren't going to make any money from Classic. Aww.

I'm still hyped for Classic but silly bans won't bring in the crowds Blizz need to make cash. And that's all they think about.

Deleted
    I used a shit ton of addon during vanilla. Probably more than any xpac.

I wish someone make Vuhdo (I plan to play HPriest, and this addon is great for healers), OPie and ElvUi would be great. In vanilla you wanted like 20+ addons to get something close to Vuhdo and ElvUi. I rather have 2 to manage/update than 20+

I dont see any good reason to ban addons from classic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    Would you still play it?
    Might be mildly upset at lack of DPS meter, but yeah I would play it. I have never been big on addons. I always loved people freaking out when a new patch came out and they suddenly couldn't play their class because they depended on addons to play for them
    Last edited by BuckSparkles; 2017-12-21 at 06:10 PM.

Question is will addons be developed and maintained for Vanilla?

10+ Year Old Account
    Would you still play it?
    I wish they did this for live. So yes I would.

I don't think we should ever have to play the game with anything other than the tools that Blizzard provides us.

Would you still play it?
    Addons were around in Vanilla WoW. What makes you think they wont be when Bliz releases Classic?

Pointless thread and question imo.

Quote Originally Posted by netherflame View Post
    read my signature for more thoughts on vanilla servers.
    Read my signature for how everybody feels about your opinion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    I wish they did this for live. So yes I would.

I don't think we should ever have to play the game with anything other than the tools that Blizzard provides us.
    Open API basically was a "tool" that blizzard provides us tho. They could have decided not to. Blizzard's choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Groh View Post
    Open API basically was a "tool" that blizzard provides us tho. They could have decided not to. Blizzard's choice.
    <.<
    >.>

I'm fully aware of how it works. Its lazy design.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    The fact that you think DBM makes you good says volumes about your cognitive abilities.

DBM just made fights easier. You know...for dumb people who dont raid in progression guilds. You realize there are people who actually have to go out there, learn the fight, and beat the boss without DBM so that someone can program it for all you noobs who rely on it, right?
    I donot think so that DBM makers defeat the boss without dbm, Most of the dbm are created during PTR and many spells are casted after specific x secs, dbm makers just need to test the boss on ptr and take note "after how many secs a spell is casted by boss" or a spell is casted when boss reach a particular health.
    Even a dumb can kill Normal or LFR boss without dbm but pls try heroic(in starting few weeks of raid release) and mythic without dbm , u will die again and again and guild will remove u from raid.
    Any person who says that DBM are for noobs ,wonder after how many months they clears Heroic.
    A person who say that he/she can clear current raid on mythic without dbm , then he/she is very talented (remembering every spell cast with time along with doing perfect rotation ) and these people donot play games they are making money and not playing games.
    IF DBM is removed , mythic raid guild will just add 21th member in team chat and that person will set with clock and will say which spell will be casted at what time.