Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Ah, true, but since there was no visible magnetic field (not that I saw, at least?) at the mouth of the bomb compartment, I assumed it was cut out from the crew department, so there would be no gravity there. It would be much more pragmatic to have the field at the mouth, so you're probably right.
    Well if that was bugging you, try this one: Why to the laser blasts the Supremacy is firing at the Resistance fleet travel in an arc?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Well if that was bugging you, try this one: Why to the laser blasts the Supremacy is firing at the Resistance fleet travel in an arc?
    Have they? In the few moments I remember they flew in a straight line, as they should. Maybe I didn't notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oooh yeah, thats an interesting one. Well, I mean its not interesting but in the grand scheme of Star Wars jumping the shark physics wise it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Have they? In the few moments I remember they flew in a straight line, as they should. Maybe I didn't notice.
    I'm pretty sure they dipped like he said, but then my memory of it is not that strong.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    like how goat would this be

That’s hot
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Could be some kind of guided particle weapon rather than an actual laser. Who knows what you can do with forcefields. Heck, for all we know it could be some kind of super advanced mortar shell in a plasma stream or whatever.

Though I'm not TOO hung up on scientific accuracy in a setting that needs twelve dozen miracle exemptions to even approach some sort of consistency. Star Trek's technobabble ain't got nothing on Star Wars' "it just works that way because... magnets".

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Oooh yeah, thats an interesting one. Well, I mean its not interesting but in the grand scheme of Star Wars jumping the shark physics wise it is.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure they dipped like he said, but then my memory of it is not that strong.
    I thought it was pretty clear that they weren't 'laser cannons' beam weapons (like the Death Star lasers), but some kind of kinetic projectile weapon. The outer ring pulled back on firing and then thrust forward like it was propelling some form of object, and the impact on the transports seemed to indicate a projectile impact - like a proton torpedo. In the same way as the proton torpedos that destroyed the Death Star glowed red, these projectiles glowed green. Given the proximity to Krayt you could speculate that the arc related to firing systems adjusting for the gravitational pull of a nearby planet.

But yeah, all this is pretty ridiculous if that's what people want to critique the film on - I mean, the empire dropped free fall proton bombs from Tie bombers in Empire onto a medium-sized asteroid and everyone thinks Empire is the greatest film ever made, but do the same in TLJ and somehow the film is a travesty? Seems more like people are angry at seeing an asian girl, a black dude and various other non white males in leading roles. And SJWs get called snowflakes- white male MRAs are the biggest whiny snowflakes on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Easily the worst movie in the franchise, which is a pretty good achievement considering how bad tfa was.
    The only memorable scene is 4B or 4T milk scene really, that's says everything about the movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gilfanon View Post
    I thought it was pretty clear that they weren't 'laser cannons' beam weapons (like the Death Star lasers), but some kind of kinetic projectile weapon. The outer ring pulled back on firing and then thrust forward like it was propelling some form of object, and the impact on the transports seemed to indicate a projectile impact - like a proton torpedo. In the same way as the proton torpedos that destroyed the Death Star glowed red, these projectiles glowed green. Given the proximity to Krayt you could speculate that the arc related to firing systems adjusting for the gravitational pull of a nearby planet.

But yeah, all this is pretty ridiculous if that's what people want to critique the film on - I mean, the empire dropped free fall proton bombs from Tie bombers in Empire onto a medium-sized asteroid and everyone thinks Empire is the greatest film ever made, but do the same in TLJ and somehow the film is a travesty? Seems more like people are angry at seeing an asian girl, a black dude and various other non white males in leading roles. And SJWs get called snowflakes- white male MRAs are the biggest whiny snowflakes on the planet.
    Yeah, in my head I was debating whether it as laser or some kind of plasma weapon instead.

I really wish this film wasn't yet another battleground for the internet's retarded garbage tier politics, because we have an awful lot of things to talk about that actually matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I've had a really low opinion of Abrams, and really everyone involved in Lost, going back years. When Abrams became involved with Star Wars, I was talking to a friend about why it's not a good thing.

The whole mess of them, I think, are writers and producers who have discrete ideas, but only the faintest of plans.
    I do think they came up with a really compelling set of new characters and one of those once in a lifetime casts that creates instant screen magic, back in TFA. That was a hell of an achievement, I give him some credit for that. Don't know if that's the writers, the casting agent, the actors or the director... maybe just a perfect celestial alignment.

- - - Updated - - -

Another person who doesn't understand gravity.

There was gravity in the ship, we know that because the girl fell down. Ergo the bombs fell out of the ship due to gravity, once they exited the ship they carried on their trajectory because of inertia. A lack of gravity does not exclude the laws of physics and momentum.

How many times..
    I also thought that was obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Oh apparently according to Star Wars fact files they are magnetic, just a special kind of magnetic that enables them to ignore the ship they came out of, and each other, and guides them to the precise point on their target they are intended to hit.
    Presumably some kind of mag rail, though the design doesn't show any evidence of it.

Let's be real here, Star Wars is suuuuuuuper soft sci fi, and this movie especially didn't give a flying fuck about that kind of thing. Those bombers work that way because Lucas based the space flights on WWII combat, so they did the same, and B2 bombers are popular so... boom.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Ya'll do realize that there is a 3rd movie right?

And that Kylo could be, oh, I dunno, lying?
    Kylo saw her parents' identity in Rey's mind when they bonded. She already knew and was in denial her whole life because it was too painful.

There's no chance it's a lie.

I'll tell you what's brilliant about it though - back when ESB came out a lot of people apparently thought Vader must be lying about the "I am your father" bit. They've managed to recreate that against all odds lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    God what an embarrassing Star Wars movie. And Snoke, they shouldn't have bothered even introducing him since nothing is learned about why he is the bad guy other than he can stomp his foot. I actually laughed when he gets cut and bows out, but it was a cringing laugh. The Last Jedi gets 0/10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixius View Post
    God what an embarrassing Star Wars movie. And Snoke, they shouldn't have bothered even introducing him since nothing is learned about why he is the bad guy other than he can stomp his foot. I actually laughed when he gets cut and bows out, but it was a cringing laugh. The Last Jedi gets 0/10.
    Are you describing Palpatine?

Another person who doesn't understand gravity.

There was gravity in the ship, we know that because the girl fell down. Ergo the bombs fell out of the ship due to gravity, once they exited the ship they carried on their trajectory because of inertia. A lack of gravity does not exclude the laws of physics and momentum.

How many times..

- - - Updated - - -

They don't even need propulsion. All star wars ships have earth like gravity, so the bombs inside the ships follow the normal rules of gravity, they fell out of the bomb doors exited the ship and THEN entered zero gravity, freefall bombs make sense because there's less resistance so they can actually fall faster than on earth. I'm amazed how many people think they're being clever and going lol gravity...
    Actualy, the MG-100 StarFortress 17 Bomber uses magnets to accelerate the bombs towards a target. They are not dropped but launched, which makes them... Grenades...? The bombs themselves are magnetic, too, that's what guides them to the target. Which is, of course, complete bullshit, but since when has StarWars cared about physics?

- - - Updated - - -

The difference is that Palpatine didn't need a backstory. He was the head of a then well-established evil organisation, and the Master of a well-established villain. Snoke on the other hand is introduced very early into the new trilogy, with no explanation to him whatsoever. We can guess where the FO came from, we know where Kylo Ren came from, but he is just a mystery. Or a plot device. Whichever description suits you better. We know the Galaxy around him. How did such a prominent and well known figure rise to power with the Republic and Luke Skywalker in place to defend against it?

Deleted
    +1

A lot of people makes this comparison between Snoke and Palpatine, like the last one is the epitome of huge backstory. But, guess what, in the original trilogy Palpatine was just a hologram till the last movie.

The problem i have with Snoke death is not HOW he died (if you think of it the "Mind" trick Ren used to fool him was great), but WHEN he died. To let him die now serves no purpose but to put Ren at the head of the First Order. On the other side Palpatine death was the redemption of Darth Vader and the end of the Empire itself.

Another thing i didn't like about TLJ is Ren at the end of the movie. He literally and i repeat LITERALLY went full Sasuke. If you don't believe me, read Naruto after Itachi "second" death, and tell me he is not like Sasuke "Kill the bad guy, but also kill everything old to make something new".

What i fear is not this movie, but what will happen next, now that we have: Ren that is at moment just not prepared to lead a massive Empire; Hux that, in this movie, looks too much dumb to be a proper military Leader. This is, AT MOMENT, the evil side. The only hope is a pretty big time-skip where something happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'll tell you what's brilliant about it though - back when ESB came out a lot of people apparently thought Vader must be lying about the "I am your father" bit. They've managed to recreate that against all odds lol.
    There is nothing brilliant about what they did. They set up a big mystery about Rey' s parents in E7 and then turned around in E8 to tell us the twist "they are no one inportant". The ESB twist works because they didn't spend time in ANH telling the viewers/hinting that Vader was his dad. It's like if Obi Wan kept telling Luke at random, "btw Vader isn't your dad. I swear he isn't" Then in ESB surprise he really is! We got you good!! What a great twist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Actualy, the MG-100 StarFortress 17 Bomber uses magnets to accelerate the bombs towards a target. They are not dropped but launched, which makes them... Grenades...? The bombs themselves are magnetic, too, that's what guides them to the target. Which is, of course, complete bullshit, but since when has StarWars cared about physics?

- - - Updated - - -

The difference is that Palpatine didn't need a backstory. He was the head of a then well-established evil organisation, and the Master of a well-established villain. Snoke on the other hand is introduced very early into the new trilogy, with no explanation to him whatsoever. We can guess where the FO came from, we know where Kylo Ren came from, but he is just a mystery. Or a plot device. Whichever description suits you better. We know the Galaxy around him. How did such a prominent and well known figure rise to power with the Republic and Luke Skywalker in place to defend against it?
    My issue with the complaint was the he's only a bad guy who stomps his foot. That is exactly what Palpatine is, a bit part player used as a plot device for others. Whilst the lack of back story is aggravating that's secondary to the complaint. Palpatine is a terrible bad guy, with no back story and who is just on it to die. Like Snoke. They both think they're infallible, they're both proven wrong and betrayed in ignominious circumstances.

I've made the same point you made, we needed a backstory about Snoke because he's a brand new force user on the scene when there shouldn't be one. Who was his master? Who trained him? That doesn't stop the comparison of both being plot devices.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2017-12-21 at 02:03 PM.

Palpatine was the head of the Empire which was the dominant political faction in the foundational start to the star wars universe. He didn't need any sort of back story at the time. Snoke existing during the rise and fall of the Empire flies in the face of the already established story. Palpatine would not let someone like Snoke live because it is a challenge to his rule. Luke wouldn't let Smoke live because he is a threat to the galaxy and the Jedi Order he is trying to build. His existence requires an explanation to make the events that are unfolding see plausible and not forced. He 100% could have just not existed and the story would make more sense.

My issue with the complaint was the he's only a bad guy who stomps his foot. That is exactly what Palpatine is, a bit part player used as a plot device for others. Whilst the lack of back story is aggravating that's secondary to the complaint. Palpatine is a terrible bad guy, with no back story and who is just on it to die. Like Snoke. They both think they're infallible, they're both proven wrong and betrayed in ignominious circumstances.

I've made the same point you made, we needed a backstory about Snoke because he's a brand new force user on the scene when there shouldn't be one. Who was his master? Who trained him? That doesn't stop the comparison of both being plot devices.
    However, in 1983 the idea of Vader betraying his master was something fresh and suprising for people in cinemas. Now, its just a bad repeat of what already happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Impressions differ, of course. What 'impressed' me with the Emperor is that he didn't need threats to make everybody heel, nor displays of power. He didn't need to intimidate anyone, he didn't need to punish anyone (the latter he had henchmen for, of course.) But when he made his was there in person for the first time the question lingered 'this wrinkeld cackeling old man is Vaders master, and master of the Empire? Just how powerfull is he?' And when he actually needed to use force, boy did he not disapoint. I think Palpatine was a great bad guy, and when he died, it felt like something was accomplished. Like a huge weight had been lifted. Snoke died, and minutes later the inconsequence of his death is spelled out to us by Hux (Hucks?) and Ren. He didn't matter at all, and that feels a little disappointing after the huge build-up he recieved. At least to me. Experiences differ, of course.

Snoke on the other hand always intimidates, threatens, riddicules and injures to make his point, like bitchslapping Ben through the room with some lightning or embarassing Hux on the bridge. Toying with Rey. He was all bragging and showboating. Like someone who was told tales of the emperor and tried to immitate him.

Deleted
    My biggest problems with the movie is that there are no limitations and no consequences.
    Destroy the new death star? FO will build a million new ships.
    Kill all rebels except 10? They'll come back and win next movie.
    Have Finn and Asian girl surrounded by 1000 enemies? They'll all disappear when the ship gets attacked.
    Need to break into the FO flag ship? Easy as wiping your ass.
    Need to find a person who can be anywhere in the galaxy? He'll be just around the corner.

Everything is so convenient and easy whenever the plot needs it to be.

My other big complain is how the universe just doesn't progress logically. There is no arguments to be made that the resulting chain of events after destroying the Sith empire is the completely and utterly unhindered rise of a new Sith empire with limitless resources. I hate movies that don't allow the universe to live its own life. Everything is just another plot device, there is absolutely no immersion for me when every character can be anywhere they need to be at the exact right moment or behaves exactly like the plot needs them to - I stop thinking "this is a real person" and start thinking "this is an actor".
    Last edited by mmocadd85def5d; 2017-12-21 at 02:29 PM.