Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    Flinging ad hominems are we? So you prefer Israel sits on it's ass while Palestine acts like the devil? That's embarrassing
    Are you saying you did not write a thread about your favorite way to read a book written by Hitler?

I prefer that the Israeli government not systematically oppress an indigenous population. I think people should be responsible for their own actions, not the actions of people who happen to live near them, or who look like them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mavett View Post
    Short term or long term UNGA resolutions are non binding, no country is going to shit on its interests to cave in for diplomatic pressure from a UNGA resolution.
    It's not about being binding, it's about putting diplomatic pressure on countries. We saw the same thing with South Africa and apartheid. The United States was one of the last countries to finally condemn them. We are seeing the same thing with Israel.

The less allies the United States has on the issue, the more we will be pressured to back off.

Deleted
    And should be to stop the threat with our help
    Israel is the threat though, surely?

You know about Israel's campaign of terror against the British and the locals when trying to set up the state of Israel in the 1940s, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Are you saying you did not write a thread about your favorite way to read a book written by Hitler?

I prefer that the Israeli government not systematically oppress an indigenous population. I think people should be responsible for their own actions, not the actions of people who happen to live near them, or who look like them.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not about being binding, it's about putting diplomatic pressure on countries. We saw the same thing with South Africa and apartheid. The United States was one of the last countries to finally condemn them. We are seeing the same thing with Israel.
    Nelson Mandela was still on the usa's terrorist watch list until 2012 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Oh cut the crap, First World War the US saved no one. Germany was starving itself even with the Russians leaving the war due to the blockaid from the Royal Navy. It was starving and on its legs when it did the spring offensive. Which in turn was up against 70% of it being French and Empire forces. Out of the 5 main powers on the allied side (British Empire, France, Russia, Italy, USA) the US was the least important overall.

What the US did save was Germany itself. France would likely have had their way because Britain wouldn't have pushed for their terms as harshly because they didn't suffer as much. French terms were basically "Yeah remember when you guys were petty little states and half of them were on our puppet string. We're going back to that.". US and Britain were able to pull that back. Britain did want to hurt Germany on the peace table but it wasn't actually at Versaille levels either. What they wanted was compensation, overseas colonies BUT a strong stable Germany that could counter both France and Russia (soon to form USSR) as it has always been British interests to have 2-3 stong countries that can hurt each other than 1 strong country dominating.
    Where was WW1 European battlefield? Oh yeah, that's right, France. French were getting wrecked. Yes, Germans were going hungry but USA coming in tipped the balance. Even if you were fully correct, you just strengthen the point that Germany should be in dept to the USA and not be run by the alt-left and hate everyone who isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post

You know about Israel's campaign of terror against the British and the locals when trying to set up the state of Israel in the 1940s, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I know they were throughout the 1980's, but I do not know the exact years. It's embarrassing how far behind the times the United States was in condemning apartheid in South Africa.

Deleted
    Well, I know they were throughout the 1980's, but I do not know the exact years. It's embarrassing how far behind the times the United States was in condemning apartheid in South Africa.
    The bought weapons from the USA. And Britain. Britain was almost as bad as the us in this regard

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Part of the reason why much of Europe was and still is watching so much American stuff for example is because of the appreciation shown to the US. For decades, the US has been a global leader that everyone looked up to. I know very few people here in Europe that actually 'hate' the US in any capacity. What you are calling 'hate' is simply disillusionment. The US, especially under Trump, has forsaken its role as a hero to European and thus lost the hero worship it had had before.

Think of it this way - the US has always considered itself the greatest country on earth. Your politicians repeat that often enough. But in the past, that felt like it meant 'leader that leads everyone to more prosperity and a better world'. Now, it has become something more akin to 'we are better than you in any way, so you better do as we say, or else'. The first is the kind of behavior that led to the 'America saves the day' trope in movies. People just assume that the Americans are the big goods, so it is easy to accept that they defeat the aliens or volcanoes or whatever. The second kind of behavior simply runs against that. It is hard to accept a hero that looks down upon you. That merely seems to 'tolerate' you as long as you want the same things he wants, but throws around the threats as soon as they dare to have a different opinion.

I think the last of your paragraphs exemplifies that best. You speak of hate and no appreciation, but there you just put it bluntly: you are sick of Europeans complaining about the US. That is what is happening. The hate is not. A lot of people here in Europe don't complain about America simply because it is America. But you are taking 'complaining about an American policy' as 'complaining about America'.
    To bring it to your example with that friend, in order to better illustrate: that is no friendship. If you buy someone a car to race against them, but expect them to owe you and be super thankful to you; but to never call you out on what they deem problematic behaviour; that you can treat like insignificant people, insult and overall be a jerk to - yet still expect them to like you. Because you bought them that car one day. That's not friendship, that's buying a cronie and a yes-man.
    Europe has been grateful to the US for decades. Europe has all but worshiped the US. It has followed its lead and supported its endeavours. The former does not just cease to exist just because today we ask more questions or do not follow that lead every time. Especially when the US is led by someone who clearly subscribes to 'America first, at the expense of others', instead of former presidents that had more of a 'America first, so everyone else can join us'.
    Thank you for the well thought out, polite reply. I think you are mainly correct, there are a lot of loud mouth alt-left Euros and I shouldn't let them speak for the rest. That said, I do think the USA has the right to say America first and start saying Europe needs to start putting in more rather than just relying on the USA. I really like what Trump is doing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Where was WW1 European battlefield? Oh yeah, that's right, France. French were getting wrecked. Yes, Germans were going hungry but USA coming in tipped the balance. Even if you were fully correct, you just strengthen the point that Germany should be in dept to the USA and not be run by the alt-left and hate everyone who isn't.
    Also USA only entered the war after British navy blockaded Germany so American weapons could no longer be sold to the Germans...

- - - Updated - - -

The less allies the United States has on the issue, the more we will be pressured to back off.
    Resolutions that have an automatic majority from Banana republics and Islamic nations do not cause diplomatic pressure, they are scoffed at and forgotten the next morning.

Resolutions that have an automatic majority from Banana republics and Islamic nations do not cause diplomatic pressure, they are scoffed at and forgotten the next morning.
    They do if they involve other American allies, mainly from Western Europe. We can only support apartheid for so long, before it makes us look like shit.

They do if they involve other American allies, mainly from Western Europe. We can only support apartheid for so long, before it makes us look like shit.
    They have been passing them for many years now, including with some Western Europe backing, did anything change? nope.

If the world want it resolved then they should start building a mechanism similar to what was proposed in the 1947 partition for Jerusalem to be controlled by the UN, but limit it to only the holy places in Jerusalem, create a separate agency in the UN that would maintain the sites and grant access to people of all faiths, then there would be no trouble in diving Jerusalem to East and West.

What is proposed and pushed right now by turning East Jerusalem into the Palestinian capital is completely shitting on the Jewish population of Israel as the holiest place for Judaism lies in East Jerusalem, it would never pass, never.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Israel is not the threat Palestine is

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

They're not oppressing the Palestine is so corrupt and invasive they have no choice but to push them back

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

They're not oppressing the Palestine is so corrupt and invasive they have no choice but to push them back
    Israel is occupying their land. Most people believe in the right to self defence.

Israel knocks their homes down.

Israel bombs their hospitals and illegally blockades aid shipments.

While the Palestinians are far from fault free, Israel is pretty despicable.

They have been passing them for many years now, including with some Western Europe backing, did anything change? nope.

If the world want it resolved then they should start building a mechanism similar to what was proposed in the 1947 partition for Jerusalem to be controlled by the UN, but limit it to only the holy places in Jerusalem, create a separate agency in the UN that would maintain the sites and grant access to people of all faiths, then there would be no trouble in diving Jerusalem to East and West.

What is proposed and pushed right now by turning East Jerusalem into the Palestinian capital is completely shitting on the Jewish population of Israel as the holiest place for Judaism lies in East Jerusalem, it would never pass, never.
    Things have changed, and both sides were pushed to go to the bargaining table. If the Democrats win in 2020, then there's a very good chance they rescind what Trump is doing.

the real solution is to have two states, with Jerusalem being an agreed-upon open zone. In reality, nobody should own it, and everyone should be able to visit the holy sites.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

They are systematically oppressing innocent people. Of course, given your track record, I'm not sure you know what that word means. You are a fan of Hitler, and don't think the Southern Secession was about slavery.

Things have changed, and both sides were pushed to go to the bargaining table. If the Democrats win in 2020, then there's a very good chance they rescind what Trump is doing.

the real solution is to have two states, with Jerusalem being an agreed-upon open zone. In reality, nobody should own it, and everyone should be able to visit the holy sites.
    It's to late for nobody to own it, over 700,000 people live there, the issue is with the holy places, make those accessible for everyone (of course taking into account nuances such as specific holy days) in an agreement and mechanism that would suit everyone involved, current situation at those sites just causes too much friction.

It's to late for nobody to own it, over 700,000 people live there, the issue is with the holy places, make those accessible for everyone (of course taking into account nuances such as specific holy days) in an agreement and mechanism that would suit everyone involved, current situation at those sites just causes too much friction.
    Well, it wouldn't be the first tome a government moved hundreds of thousands of people and put them somewhere else. after all, that's how Israel was formed in the first place. I'm not saying that's what should be done, but it can definitely be pulled off.

Deleted
    UN General Assembly votes 128-9 to declare US recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital `null and void'

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/943896672660283394

get your list out then

Anyone have a breakdown of the list of how they voted, just out of curiosity?

Well, it wouldn't be the first tome a government moved hundreds of thousands of people and put them somewhere else. after all, that's how Israel was formed in the first place. I'm not saying that's what should be done, but it can definitely be pulled off.
    Why would there be a need to transfer anyone? if the holy places are controlled by an outside party all you do is draw the line, East Jerusalem neighborhoods to Palestinians and West to Israelis.

Why would there be a need to transfer anyone? if the holy places are controlled by an outside party all you do is draw the line, East Jerusalem neighborhoods to Palestinians and West to Israelis.
    Well, they did it in 1947.

I would love for it to be controlled by an outside party, but I doubt that they would ever come to terms as to who should control it. There's no way in hell that Israel would want the UN in charge of it, and I doubt they could ever agree on any single country being the broker.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonstream View Post
    Anyone have a breakdown of the list of how they voted, just out of curiosity?
    no votes: Israel USA Guatemala Honduras Marshall Islands Micronesia Nauru Palau Togo
    EU was in favour or abstained with Germany France UK Netherlands Belgium etc. in favour. Now give us bad names plz