Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    The US wants to move its embassy to Jerusalem, the rest of the UN doesn't want them to. Every news article I can find on the story is talking about the conflict that will arise by making such a move. But as usual the "why" question is one no one seems interested in.

Why does the US want to do this? What benefit does it bring them?
    I can do it REALLY simple.

Trump thinks he's the man. He announces Jerusalem to be Israel's capital. Israel goes 'Wooo' and Jerusalem goes 'WTF MAN?!' and a lot of smaller factions goes, 'WTF, US!?'. Trump believes he did something good but just made everything worse. And now the UN is like, 'Trump, dude, you can't do that kind of shit, man', The end.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

This was a very good article, thanks!
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Fuck I've had bottles thrown and me and get called faggot frequently. We're not really that much better than them, we just have more economic comforts and a functioning justice system.
    You also didn't get a noose around your neck and thrown off a building.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcath View Post
    Should have a couple more, honestly. And yet here we are, feeding the flame and wondering why our hands burn.
    I suppose, but they generally are in high positions in big companies so there's that.

- - - Updated - - -

No but I've had the shit beat out of me and been in a critical condition. Probably would have died if someone hadn't found me. At least a noose would've been a lot quicker and less painful.
    >Getting beat up is worse than dying
    Nah

Trump wants more Jew money probably. So is striking some back handers with Netanyahu

15+ Year Old Account
    I quite clearly mean't IF i had died, which apparently I was quite close to.

It was a shitty year or two where I wish i had died too.
    Well that sucks, but you're still in a better position than any Muslim country right now. So am i as a girl.
    But yes, I'm a huge biggot for pointing out that Muslim don't like jews, women are the gays

It's something they should have done long ago, even multiple presidents before Trump said they would do it.

7+ Year Old Account
    The US wants to move its embassy to Jerusalem, the rest of the UN doesn't want them to. Every news article I can find on the story is talking about the conflict that will arise by making such a move. But as usual the "why" question is one no one seems interested in.

Why does the US want to do this? What benefit does it bring them?
    For the same reason we support NATO, to empower Western allies. To protect civilization from less civilized neighbors.

people mad over the fact that we're apparently backing people's claim to a land that's more theirs than the muslims, but still stolen from the canaanites.

if it were up to me, i'd support it being the capital of canaan.

the original cultures of the middle east need to be revived, brought back from being erased by years of religion.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're a bigot for using other people as ammo in your bigotry.

Hell you probably think the middle east was always like this too

- - - Updated - - -

Why do your solutions always have to be the ones that would cause the most suffering?
    Guess what people threatened isreal if they got Jerusalem? Hint, it wasn't the jews. Not pointing that out is just denying reality.

Why do your solutions always have to be the ones that would cause the most suffering?
    canaanites are the original inhabitants. they have more claim to it than jews or muslims.

but jews have more claim to it than muslims, since they came first out of the two.

it should just be one state imo. jews and muslims living in peace together. religion should be kept out of their government, like ours tries to do. sometimes someone who happens to be muslim could get elected, other times someone who happens to be jewish could get elected.

if one side can't behave that maturely, maybe they should be removed.

Alright so three pages in and the only actual response is a vague "to strengthen relations with Israel". Well our relations with Israel are already extremely strong, so a show of goodwill like this is not really needed. Is there really no other reason?

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Probably because they kill people for something as simple as being gay.
    Yeah, but if you already know they are bad and do stupid shit, how is them being angry at you going to matter when they are already angry at you.

It will literally be -
    Before this change - ME Hates America, Israel Likes/Neutral to America.
    After this change - ME Hates America, Israel really likes to America.

Seems to be a pointless worry.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    canaanites are the original inhabitants. they have more claim to it than jews or muslims.

but jews have more claim to it than muslims, since they came first out of the two.

it should just be one state imo. jews and muslims living in peace together. religion should be kept out of their government, like ours tries to do. sometimes someone who happens to be muslim could get elected, other times someone who happens to be jewish could get elected.

if one side can't behave that maturely, maybe they should be removed.
    Nah one state wont work. There's too many people in the West Bank. They would quickly wreck the country if they were naturalized.

15+ Year Old Account
    Alright so three pages in and the only actual response is a vague "to strengthen relations with Israel". Well our relations with Israel are already extremely strong, so a show of goodwill like this is not really needed. Is there really no other reason?
    Does there need to be? Why can't we just do something nice without people getting up in arms for once. If they gave it to the muslims or Christians i would be fine with that too

To pander to the Evangelical base (not to Jewish Americans as has been suggested- they are at most 2.5% of the population and overwhelmingly vote Democrat). That's honestly pretty much it. In terms of leverage and furthering our interests, this is a really useless and stupid move.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    There were these people, let’s call them Pews and these other people called the Jalestinians. After a big war that targeted both, the Pews and Jalestinians, as subhuman and deserving of equal treatment to humans. These several other counties, without any consideration for Pews and Jalestinians, carved up a country and declared a new one from the scraps. Obviously, those who lived there at the time, who had nothing to do with the war, while also being targeted, were not happy.

Fast forward some odd years, the dispute is still on going. Those who feel persecuted, have become more volatile. While those who control, have become more emboldened. This results in a very sensitive and very often violent conflict. Due to the fact that neither is really in the wrong, it makes any declaration be a lot more than just the sum of the words. Meaning, when Trump takes a singular and relatively drastic action, it creates a lot of controversy.

You are free to place your self on either side of the argument. Just reconcile one side as subhuman and not deserving of equal treatment in the dispute. Which brings us full circle to why this happened in the first place. History... doomed to repeat it...bla bla bla...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    To pander to the Evangelical base (not to Jewish Americans as has been suggested- they are at most 2.5% of the population and overwhelmingly vote Democrat). That's honestly pretty much it. In terms of leverage and furthering our interests, this is a really useless and stupid move.
    I have family in Israel and this places them in higher danger, due to nothing, but a symbolic act. Trump deferred from the military, Israel has conscription. Just like everything in the life of a man, where a daddy’s signature made all problems go away, he doesn’t have the optics to understand what he is doing. Maybe it will boost sales of Trump Vodka in Israel... its the only place it’s sold... after failing in US.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Yeah, but if you already know they are bad and do stupid shit, how is them being angry at you going to matter when they are already angry at you.

It will literally be -
    Before this change - ME Hates America, Israel Likes/Neutral to America.
    After this change - ME Hates America, Israel really likes to America.

Seems to be a pointless worry.
    Sometimes the world has to change even if people hate you

Quote Originally Posted by Chillson View Post
    Wouldn't appealing to the Jewish American vote alienate the Alt-Right group who protested shouting "Jews will not replace us!" Don't those people support Trump?
    But the same move pisses off a bunch of Palestinian Muslims, sooooooooo....

So I'm going to start with the caveat that the entire situation between Israel and Palestine is incredibly complex on many levels and really can't be easily summed up--certainly not in an unbiased way. I think the best way I can put it is that both sides have done terrible things and have legitimate grievances, but the conflict has been going on for several decades so there are no easy answers or solutions to untangling the mess.

That being said, the issue with the current situation is that Jerusalem is claimed by both Israel and Palestine. The original UN charter that created Israel declared the city to be under international control, but Israel has gradually taken over it over by military force in the years since. Palestine still considers at least the eastern half of the city to be theirs, while Israel considers the entire city to be their "undivided" capital. It's a contentious issue, to say the least.

Now, currently, the US embassy in Israel is based in Tel Aviv. Trump moving the embassy to Jerusalem, however, constitutes official recognition of Israel's claim to the city as its capital. This is problematic largely because it's a blatantly one-sided move despite the fact that the United States is supposed to be acting as a neutral third party in resolving the conflict between Israel and Palestine. It says that we're not interested in being fair to both sides, that we will favor Israel in what should be neutral mediation. Showing such clear favoritism in the conflict also has repercussions throughout the entire region, as pretty much every country in the Middle East has a stake in the issue. Beyond that, as you've said there isn't even anything to be gained by this move since our relationship with Israel is already strong. The issue of Jerusalem has long been a bargaining chip, and Trump has just thrown it away.