Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    So the way food stamps work is not that you get unlimited money to buy whatever, it's a set amount and you can spend it on certain food items (not whatever you want). The overall amount is pretty low, in OR last I checked it's less than $200 for an individual and it's far less than that per individual if there's more than one person in the household. So if she wants to blow 25% of her food stamps for the month on lobster for her dog, I guess she'll be going hungry at some point, or can try to stretch her dollars on shit like rice and beans and ramen.
    celista why won't you support the narrative?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    No. Absolutely not.
    How does that work, could you explain it?

She said she was also on SS. So she gets more than just food stamps.
    She's gotta be bullshitting about SS, you're not eligible for that until you're past the age of 65.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    celista why won't you support the narrative?
    Because it's retarded, we can't police literally everything poor people buy. They already aren't allowed to buy anything other than food with food stamps, and there's a bunch of limitations on top of that. No hot food, no vitamins, no food that will be eaten in the store, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    I don't get why lobster is seen as a high class type of food.
    Truer words have never been spoken. Lobsters, crabs, shellfish...they're all just big insects. Most seafood, aside from fish, is basically just that. Gooey, disgusting bugs. You eat gooey, disgusting lobster meat and make a huge mess, and that's somehow classy...oh boy.

Why not eat worms while you're at it.

So the way food stamps work is not that you get unlimited money to buy whatever, it's a set amount and you can spend it on certain food items (not whatever you want). The overall amount is pretty low, in OR last I checked it's less than $200 for an individual and it's far less than that per individual if there's more than one person in the household. So if she wants to blow 25% of her food stamps for the month on lobster for her dog, I guess she'll be going hungry at some point, or can try to stretch her dollars on shit like rice and beans and ramen.
    The issue is that people are worried she's gaming the system and wasting money. Like she doesn't need the stamps, she just has them so she does dumb shit with them. Which is unlikely. It's pretty hard to get on Food Stamps if you don't actually need them, unless you're hiding money you get under the table from the IRA/gubment.

For the most part it's just annoying people who think anyone on Food Stamps is a lazy welfare moocher who found a way to cheat the system, etc.

No. Absolutely not.
    You actually have to work several years in order to receive full social security, and the amount you get is not very much.

If you're referring to DISABILITY, here in Oregon people get $700 month to live on + $190 for food stamps. The average one bedroom in Portland is $1300/month. The wait list for low income housing is 2-3 years.

Rents in other parts of the state are cheaper, but not by very much.

I don't get why lobster is seen as a high class type of food.

After watching that video again, god that woman is annoying. She is the kind of person you avoid being friends with cause she will start drama for fun.
    Because it's tasty and, more importantly, EXPENSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    The issue is that people are worried she's gaming the system and wasting money. Like she doesn't need the stamps, she just has them so she does dumb shit with them. Which is unlikely. It's pretty hard to get on Food Stamps if you don't actually need them, unless you're hiding money you get under the table from the IRA/gubment.

For the most part it's just annoying people who think anyone on Food Stamps is a lazy welfare moocher who found a way to cheat the system, etc.
    Yeah, welfare fraud is pretty uncommon. It's about as common as other types of fraud. Most people on welfare are not doing very well...not that they ever were, but also because we have cut benefits while of cost of living has increased in the US significantly, particularly in relationship to housing costs.

She's gotta be bullshitting about SS, you're not eligible for that until you're past the age of 65.
    She likely means SSI, or Social Security Insurance, which is sort of the same thing as Social Security but different. Disabled/other types of people are able to get on SSI, and usually just call it "social security".

The idea that you can be on welfare and own a dog is already silly, and I from a mathematical standpoint, you shouldn't be making or be given enough money to support yourself and your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronan View Post
    But it really isn't that expensive. She got a lobster that is worth 1-2 meals for 13 dollars. That is pretty average price for food these days.

But it really isn't that expensive. She got a lobster that is worth 1-2 meals for 13 dollars. That is pretty average price for food these days.
    She got a cheap lobster. Lobster is expensive to farm and pretty expensive to fish. There's some slight artificial price increases because it's seen as a fancy/expensive food, but it's not that bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    That video was awful. Good lord.

You actually have to work several years in order to receive full social security, and the amount you get is not very much.

If you're referring to DISABILITY, here in Oregon people get $700 month to live on + $190 for food stamps. The average one bedroom in Portland is $1300/month. The wait list for low income housing is 2-3 years.

Rents in other parts of the state are cheaper, but not by very much.
    It depends how "setup" you are...

I was on SSI disability (the one that requires no work) for some medical issues i had when i was younger that had me collect disability for about 5 years... Actually just started working again a few months ago...

My house is paid off from buying it in full when a relative died and I got an inheritance... I own a small 1 bedroom 800sq ft house basically good for 1 person and my dog low heating costs,ect bought for under $20,000 during the housing crisis....
    (social security and DHS do not count the home you live in or the car you drive against you for income)

anyways I was getting $735 a month and 190 in food stamps when I was disabled. Not to mention my healthcare was taken care of and i was able to live cheaply with $150 heat+electric +$150 car ins+100 cable+800 a year for Property taxes (which thanks to being disabled I basically got it all back by filing state tax's) leaving me a few hundred a month along with another hundred or so from some online stuff I did to make extra cash... Again not the most glamorous life but its manageable and I did it while I was going to school (Pell Grant's that I automatically qualified for thanks to my disability)....

now that I'm out working again I'm yet to find full time employment but working 30 hours a week I only come out maybe $200 dollars ahead at the end of the month over what I was with my benefits and if I work anymore I risk losing my healthcare which is the one thing I still have through the state and with the uncertainty with Obamacare these days until I have a guaranteed 40 hour job paying me at least 12-14 an hour I'd rather stay at the 30-33 hours I work now and keep my healthcare...

Now I'm not like that women I enjoy working again and feel alot better about my life not being on disability. But I do agree that we need to balance out disability and welfare in a better way to help those who most need it and to make it less hard to transition off... For example for me I could have went back to work years ago but had a hard time transitioning back to work when with lack of job history all the jobs I could have found were gonna leave me worse off than staying on disability and playing video games all day while going to school...
    Last edited by Moshots; 2017-12-22 at 07:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronan View Post
    news flash. chilean sea bass is more expensive than lobster.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    The man in my avatar is turning in his grave!

Quote Originally Posted by Moshots View Post
    It depends how "setup" you are...

I was on SSI disability (the one that requires no work) for some medical issues i had when i was younger that had me collect disability for about 5 years... Actually just started working again a few months ago...

My house is paid off from buying it in full when a relative died and I got an inheritance... I own a small 1 bedroom 800sq ft house basically good for 1 person and my dog low heating costs,ect bought for under $20,000 during the housing crisis....
    (social security and DHS do not count the home you live in or the car you drive against you for income)

anyways I was getting $735 a month and 190 in food stamps when I was disabled. Not to mention my healthcare was taken care of and i was able to live cheaply with $150 heat+electric +$150 car ins+100 cable+800 a year for Property taxes (which thanks to being disabled I basically got it all back by filing state tax's) leaving me a few hundred a month along with another hundred or so from some online stuff I did to make extra cash... Again not the most glamorous life but its manageable and I did it while I was going to school (Pell Grant's that I automatically qualified for thanks to my disability)....

now that I'm out working again I'm yet to find full time employment but working 30 hours a week I only come out maybe $200 dollars ahead at the end of the month over what I was with my benefits and if I work anymore I risk losing my healthcare which is the one thing I still have through the state and with the uncertainty with Obamacare these days until I have a guaranteed 40 hour job paying me at least 12-14 an hour I'd rather stay at the 30-33 hours I work now and keep my healthcare...

Now I'm not like that women I enjoy working again and feel alot better about my life not being on disability. But I do agree that we need to balance out disability and welfare in a better way to help those who most need it and to make it less hard to transition off... For example for me I could have went back to work years ago but had a hard time transitioning back to work when with lack of job history all the jobs I could have found were gonna leave me worse off than staying on disability and playing video games all day while going to school...
    Yeah of course, if you have a home paid off and don't have to worry about rent and have low property taxes then that saves a good chunk of cash. I do not think most people on disability are set up so well.

I'm surprised they allowed you to go to school, I thought that was one of the things that kicked you off disability.

I'm still half asleep, but thought this was going to be about a new breed of lobster crossed with a dog. A dog lobster! lol

Yeah of course, if you have a home paid off and don't have to worry about rent and have low property taxes then that saves a good chunk of cash. I do not think most people on disability are set up so well.

I'm surprised they allowed you to go to school, I thought that was one of the things that kicked you off disability.
    Ironically one of the reason I was kicked off was that I wasn't.... If I had continued on to 4 year school (I got my AA in Business) and been in school they would have not done a (every 2-3 year) medical review of my case until AFTER I graduated I graduated in spring 2014 had a small form medical review in winter 2015 which is like a 1 page question-air for in between the 4 years they usually do a full review which passed... and then obviously when my full medical review came up in 2017 I was found to be fit to return to work which I probably would have been in 2015 had they done a full review then because they stated my degree as one of the reasons i was now fit to work...

But anyways They like to have disabled people in trade program/schools because for the ones who are not borderline (which I admit I am/was) it can usually mean a new career someone who is now paralyzed in the legs ending up working a desk job.. or someone who has social anxiety now starting his own home buisness, ect ect.... or If I had joined one of their return to work programs prior to my review coming up I would have 6-8 months of working and collecting full benefits. Its part of the incentives they give to try to get people off disability. It just depends alot about the job market in some cases...
    Last edited by Moshots; 2017-12-22 at 07:57 AM.

She does realize the minimum wage people pay essentially no federal income tax right ? (Cant comment on individual states income taxes. We have none here) so her saying “this is what these minimum wage people are paying taxes for” isn’t correct.

And really, I consider myself a fiscal conservative and genuinely don’t give a shit about other people’s plights or problems, but if the richest country on the planet can’t collectively (federal and state) make sure people aren’t going hungry on a daily basis, we really need to just blow this piece of shit up.

People on food stamps get a set amount every month ( and it’s shit). Why would anyone care what they spend it on other than to call her a dipshit for wasting such an amount on one meal of shit tasting food. Had a guy pissed someone could use food stamps at a local fast food joint. Cause he was too stupid to realize the dollar menu is actually great for calorie vs $$ spent
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours