10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    All this testing has left a few questions;
    - Should we even use Prime95 AVX to test stability? Or is Prime95 unrealistically demanding and better avoided?
    - Would Asus Realbench be a better indicator of stability, since it uses AVX but doesn't strain your CPU as much as Prime95 does?
    It all depends on the user I guess. For me even prime95 custom settings for extra stress isn't always enough. I have had overclocks that were successfully tested with prime for 24 hours crash over night after I open a few VMs, try rendering a video, folding/mining, etc. Leave your "stable" system with me for a day or two and I'll send it home crying =P.

I remember back when SWTOR first came out. For some reason I was blue screening in that game even though EVERYTHING else was stable. Overclocking is such a pita sometimes.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post
    It all depends on the user I guess. For me even prime95 custom settings for extra stress isn't always enough. I have had overclocks that were successfully tested with prime for 24 hours crash over night after I open a few VMs, try rendering a video, folding/mining, etc. Leave your "stable" system with me for a day or two and I'll send it home crying =P.

I remember back when SWTOR first came out. For some reason I was blue screening in that game even though EVERYTHING else was stable. Overclocking is such a pita sometimes.
    Ain't this the truth, though I've been good for a couple years, now. 8)

So far, it seems I've gotten 4.375GHz stable... at least stable enough to pass:

Cinebench R15
    Firestrike
    Firestrike Ultra
    Timespy Extreme
    3DMark API Overhead Test

I feel like I'm forgetting something else, but anyways, it's looking good!

Shame I had to flood the CPU with a significant jump in voltage, though I was trying to get 4.5GHz (36x125MHz BCLK freq) stable, so I could probably try taking voltage away. Can't recall, but I think I haven't touched the voltage since turning the multi down to 35. It's really a shame going from a nice 4.2GHz@around 1.28v or whatever it was, all the way up to over 1.33v. =/ Tweaked a bunch of stuff... aaaaaand my RAM seems like it might be dying. Caught the 2133 DDR4 running at 1667! What the hell?! Now I just have it running at 2000, XMP is disabled, I guess, with no enable option in the BIOS now. O_o

- - - Updated - - -

If you'd like to see:

http://hwbot.org/submission/3741214_...calculate=true
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Had my 8700K running stable at 5ghz @ 1.3V for a month now, I'll grab an AIDA64 screenshot when I next go to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post

True that.

I've had one application freeze (no crash) so far and that was in pubg after the update and it happened when I alt-tabbed to change my sound device.

That said, might not have anything to do with the cpu, but just with the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Tweaked a bunch of stuff... aaaaaand my RAM seems like it might be dying. Caught the 2133 DDR4 running at 1667! What the hell?! Now I just have it running at 2000, XMP is disabled, I guess, with no enable option in the BIOS now. O_o
    You do realize that increasing CPU clock speed generally means decreasing your RAM overclocking capabilities?

This is a fixed value since IMCs for Haswell (and Haswell-E) topped out normally @ 2400MHz ... and if you have a weak IMC in that particular chip it'll drop down the higher you attempt to overclock.

Unless you start some serious overclocking in which case you're going to need heftier cooling and far more insane voltage.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    At work but I just want to say thanks, @Evildeffy, that is a bit of helpful info! Like I said, this is my first time messing with the bclk.

I saw Linus say this can be touchy/bad and storage doesn't always like it. Any thoughts/comments on that? I'll get you some voltages later and settings I've put in place.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    At work but I just want to say thanks, @Evildeffy, that is a bit of helpful info! Like I said, this is my first time messing with the bclk.

I saw Linus say this can be touchy/bad and storage doesn't always like it. Any thoughts/comments on that? I'll get you some voltages later and settings I've put in place.
    Not sure if it's tied together in the storage, AFAIK it's been decoupled for a while now.
    This base clock overclocking is how overclocking was originally done.

The X99 platforms can do it because of lack of certain components on the CPU such as the iGPU that's connected internally via PCIe.

It's been mostly abandoned in favour for ratios which are easier and honestly smarter to stick to.

But 1 thing is that when you base clock OC... you change memory speed as well as it uses a multiplier of your base clock, so adding 25MHz may be like adding 750MHz to the RAM.
    The changes are dynamic in general and should be seen in the BIOS the second you mess with base clocks.

Do note that if your previous step with XMP was f.ex. 2000MHz that with the base clock change it's now 2500MHz for the same step... so you'd have to manually set the frequency down.

As far as the rest goes ... unfortunately I am not familiar enough with Haswell-E overclocking to give you a proper answer if it's good or not... but it SHOULD be better than Broadwell-E ... 4,3GHz seems low to me.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Not sure if it's tied together in the storage, AFAIK it's been decoupled for a while now.
    This base clock overclocking is how overclocking was originally done.

The X99 platforms can do it because of lack of certain components on the CPU such as the iGPU that's connected internally via PCIe.

It's been mostly abandoned in favour for ratios which are easier and honestly smarter to stick to.

But 1 thing is that when you base clock OC... you change memory speed as well as it uses a multiplier of your base clock, so adding 25MHz may be like adding 750MHz to the RAM.
    The changes are dynamic in general and should be seen in the BIOS the second you mess with base clocks.

Do note that if your previous step with XMP was f.ex. 2000MHz that with the base clock change it's now 2500MHz for the same step... so you'd have to manually set the frequency down.

As far as the rest goes ... unfortunately I am not familiar enough with Haswell-E overclocking to give you a proper answer if it's good or not... but it SHOULD be better than Broadwell-E ... 4,3GHz seems low to me.
    Thanks! I appreciate it! I'm going to try 4.5ghz at 1.35v when I get home. Hopefully that's enough, it really seems I get bad silicon lottery.
    "A flower.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    SOON!

Deleted
    Name: Khuzdul
    Processor: i7 7700k
    Clock: 5.1 ghz
    Voltage: 1.380
    Cooler: custom loop, EK supremacy evo
    Screenshot LINK: https://imgur.com/zg90K4C
    Valid CPU-Z link: https://valid.x86.fr/hpz5f8

edit*, forgot to clarify didnt use any AVX value

merry xmass !!! ill try to see how far i can get in the next days

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    SOON!
    /img
    Looking forward to it! Just remember to include your username in the final screenshot!

Quote Originally Posted by Khuzdul View Post
    Name: Khuzdul
    Processor: i7 7700k
    Clock: 5.1 ghz
    Voltage: 1.380
    Cooler: custom loop, EK supremacy evo
    Screenshot LINK: https://imgur.com/zg90K4C
    Valid CPU-Z link: https://valid.x86.fr/hpz5f8

edit*, forgot to clarify didnt use any AVX value

merry xmass !!! ill try to see how far i can get in the next days
    Awesome job, would love to see pictures of it if we haven't already in the "Post Your Gaming Setup!" megathread! Added!
    "A flower.

Well, started 5.1ghz stability testing and cinebench finishes without a hitch at 5.1ghz with a vcore of 1.38. I'm going to steadily reduce the vcore until I BSOD and start an Aida run after. Temps were pretty high without having manually set my fan settings to a 100%, so that's the first thing I'll be doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice! Looking forward to the results!

And oooo, 90 Celsius and above! ;D
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    With Cinebench R15.0 I am getting 153X score on my Ryzen 7 1700. I feel like I should be hovering around 1620/1650 at least :X

full size - https://i.imgur.com/ACXra6F.jpg

-K

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    With Cinebench R15.0 I am getting 153X score on my Ryzen 7 1700. I feel like I should be hovering around 1620/1650 at least :X
    Nope, score sounds about right.

Here's a reference:
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...one-out/page-3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Nope, score sounds about right.

Here's a reference:
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...one-out/page-3
    I am running @ 3.89 GHZ, I guess 3Ghz RAM is the limiter of the score?
    -K

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    I am running @ 3.89 GHZ, I guess 3Ghz RAM is the limiter of the score?
    If you're @ 3,9GHz then you should be scoring considerably higher, like in the link you should be hovering around 1700 - 1720.
    Ryzen does improve nicely with RAM speeds but unsure as to your specific situation.

Think there may be a glitch somewhere, I thought you initially meant stock speeds.

If you're running 2933MHz with poor timings it may be the cause but ... that sounds sluggish, have seen OCed units with lower RAM speeds score considerably higher.

Try a BIOS update and reset your OC to 3,9GHz again?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, started 5.1ghz stability testing and cinebench finishes without a hitch at 5.1ghz with a vcore of 1.38. I'm going to steadily reduce the vcore until I BSOD and start an Aida run after. Temps were pretty high without having manually set my fan settings to a 100%, so that's the first thing I'll be doing.
    Hmm, I was running 5.1 @ 1.35v using prime 95 latest, which uses AVX. I did get 2 failures though. Forgot to take a screenshot of my 5Ghz @ 1.3v though. Gonna try 5.1Ghz @ 1.35 again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Hmm, I was running 5.1 @ 1.35v using prime 95 latest, which uses AVX. I did get 2 failures though. Forgot to take a screenshot of my 5Ghz @ 1.3v though. Gonna try 5.1Ghz @ 1.35 again soon.
    If you want my advice: don't use prime, especially not anything past 26.6; the load it generates is beyond anything realistic.

Asus Realbench uses AVX and reproduces heavy load in a realistic way. If your OC survives 8 hours of that, you can consider your system stable for day to day use.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you want my advice: don't use prime, especially not anything past 26.6; the load it generates is beyond anything realistic.

Asus Realbench uses AVX and reproduces heavy load in a realistic way. If your OC survives 8 hours of that, you can consider your system stable for day to day use.
    Yeah, I did notice that Realbench simulated a lot of real world use, where as AIDA didn't. AIDA keeps failing with hardware error after 3 hours every time no matter what I set my OC to, yet I can run Realbench all day perfectly fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Whelp. 5.1Ghz @ 1.34 stable on Real Bench for 6 hours so far:

- - - Updated - - -
    @DeltrusDisc

Would you consider a RealBench at 8 hours for the leaderboard? For some reason AIDA doesn't like my PC after a BIOS update, plus RealBench tests whole system.

https://valid.x86.fr/e6p1w1