Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question How do YOU define "Elitist" or "Elitism?"

The term "Elitist!" is thrown around by certain people (usually more self professed casual players) to describe other people who are more dedicated to the game and play a certain way.

Why is this the case? Just because someone who may be called an "elitist" wants the success of their group to be higher, and chooses to exclude certain players without achievements, or ilvl or experience, doesn't make them an elitist.

Just because players want the DPS that they bring to hit minimum thresholds, doesn't make them elitist.

Just because bad players get kicked from pug raids, doesn't make the raid leader elitist.

How do you define what an "Elitist" is? Because it seems like this word is more of a quasi insult to anyone who is more dedicated to the game than others. Or its a term born of jealousy for the accomplishments of other players (most likely raid and mythic+ achievements).

10+ Year Old Account
    "Elitism
    ɪˈliːtɪz(ə)m/
    noun
    noun: elitism
    the belief that a society or system should be led by an elite.
    the dominance of a society or system by an elite.
    the superior attitude or behaviour associated with an elite."

I'm pretty sure only accepting certain people because of their ilvl and/or achievement progress (elite) for your raid (system) pretty much falls under this.

I think the problem is more (at the start of a tier) that people who don't have said ilvl/achievement can make and exploit such a group with said requirements and then reap the benefits whilst those who don't and try to do it legitimately from the start (or later on) and fail to get the achievement in the first week are then essentially blocked from pugs unless they stoop to the level of the former and hope it works or pay for a run... or join a raiding guild if they're able.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

I define elitist by people who try to intentionally exclude players so that they can try to make themselves stand out as special. In rare cases, this is actually valid, but in most cases, these are average players trying to pretend they are above average by acting this way.

Elite is a different story, and that refers to the genuine best of the best players. People pushing great progress into mythic on the first couple weeks are among the elite, for instance. Very rarely do you see the 'elite' practicing 'elitism', because they really don't have anything to prove. Their elite status is shown by their skill instead of their words; I find people like this don't need to talk down to people to feel better about themselves because there was never a question that they are better to begin with.

In short, in most cases elitism is an artificial act to make the non-elite feel like the elite. However, in some cases, these are just players who don't want to waste their time and instead are demanding skilled players to guarantee success. It depends heavily on context, but simply states it is the act of excluding others (typically implied looking/talking down to others, in order to feel better than they actually are... but again, not always).

This is my definition, at least. In almost every case, elitism to me tends to be toxic players trying to make themselves out to be better than they are. There are exceptions, but they are few and far between. Again, depends on the context.

5+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who acts arrogantly and does not like or straight out hates "the casuals", is actively gatekeeping by having ridiculously high requirements or expectations when they aren't actually required to do said thing, someone who mocks people who don't play that much or on that high of a level, or just someone who acts like they're better than the rest.

Usually a combination of those.
    For the [enter opposing faction here]

I have very rarely encountered an elitist that was able to live up to his own standards.

And then on the other hand, we have people considering it "elitist!!!" to ask that players enchant and gem their gear, so... It's a wide spectrum!

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    I define elitist by people who try to intentionally exclude players so that they can try to make themselves stand out as special. In rare cases, this is actually valid, but in most cases, these are average players trying to pretend they are above average by acting this way.

Elite is a different story, and that refers to the genuine best of the best players. People pushing great progress into mythic on the first couple weeks are among the elite, for instance. Very rarely do you see the 'elite' practicing 'elitism', because they really don't have anything to prove. Their elite status is shown by their skill instead of their words; I find people like this don't need to talk down to people to feel better about themselves because there was never a question that they are better to begin with.

In short, in most cases elitism is an artificial act to make the non-elite feel like the elite. However, in some cases, these are just players who don't want to waste their time and instead are demanding skilled players to guarantee success. It depends heavily on context, but simply states it is the act of excluding others (typically implied looking/talking down to others, in order to feel better than they actually are... but again, not always).

This is my definition, at least. In almost every case, elitism to me tends to be toxic players trying to make themselves out to be better than they are. There are exceptions, but they are few and far between. Again, depends on the context.
    Well said.

I tend to listen to the words a person uses, and whether or not they hate something that someone else has that they don't even use - example of this is LFR.

7+ Year Old Account
    Many hardcore raiders are elitists.

And many people who talk crazy amounts of shit about vanilla wow tend to be too.

Deleted
    I would define elitests as people who are exceptionally good but jerks with it when you arent as good as they are.

Deleted
    Elitism is a situation where a certain group of people is incorrectly asummed better, more important, more knowledgeable just because they are up top of the social strata. Its bad in real life because in real life people dont start from thesame place, they can be born into wealth and luxury and have no qualities that would excuse any presumption of their superiority.

In a videogame like wow everyone starts from exactly thesame level thus asumption of long term higher level more experienced player to be part of the elite of the game is correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by odamienski View Post
    I would define elitests as people who are exceptionally good but jerks with it when you arent as good as they are.
    thats not what elitism is. Also dont hate the player...

i know it when i see it

Elitism is when people who have money to blow on extra stuff think it makes them better than everyone else. Or when people who can log 8-10 hours a day playing WoW somehow makes them better than everyone else. Neither of them make you better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    WoW would be a great game if it weren't an MMO.

For me, Elitism in WoW is someone that's negative about someone else being "worse" than them, in a situation where it doesn't even matter.

Like pretty much every leveling/heroic dungeon or LFR. "omg your dps is 1234~? mine is 1235! you're so bad!!!". If the bosses are getting oneshot, the complaints slow things down more than any perceived performance issues.

Another one is offering unsolicited advice. Its one thing to say "Hey, if you want any help with your character, just ask me" to a guildie. Its another thing entirely to throw random whispers to people "omg?! You chose THAT talent ? that's awful. you should choose XXX, it parses 0.5% more on this LFR fight!"

Deleted
    Elitist: someone who thinks he's so good that he's allowed act like a jerk towards others. Usually these people know no other indicator of player quality than item level.

A few hours ago I saw someone who wanted help for Heart of Fear (MoP first tier raid) and demanded people to have ilvl 930.

Someone who puts themselves above others, be they deserving or not.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Another one is offering unsolicited advice. Its one thing to say "Hey, if you want any help with your character, just ask me" to a guildie. Its another thing entirely to throw random whispers to people "omg?! You chose THAT talent ? that's awful. you should choose XXX, it parses 0.5% more on this LFR fight!"
    Some time ago in Swtor, just prior to a boss fight, I gave our healer a very handy tip that I knew most people were unaware of: that he could save a player from a stun droid by Force pulling him out of it, instead of us having to waste time killing the droid. Instead of just saying "ok" or "thanks, but I knew that", he then started boasting that I should have checked his achievement points before thinking myself worthy of giving advise to him.

Lolz. Based on my experience, achievement points tell next to nothing about a player's quality; most "legendary players" are dumb as fuck, and twice as arrogant; and just because someone happens to have a boss kill achi doesn't mean he'd know shit about the tactics -- he might well have been laying dead most of the fight, while better people than him earned the kill for him.

Of course, I didn't even bother to check his puny achievements, because from that moment it was obvious that he was an elitist of the worst kind; a worthless piece-of-shit both as a person and as a player, which he proved by putting me on ignore before I could even reply.

It's the same thing with "honor" -- those people who have it least are the most sensitive about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    People with standards

An elitist is someone who puts "950+ AotC required" for normal Antorus two weeks after it opens. All that is is stroking one's epeen and showing off.

And without a doubt, they all wipe on Kin'garoth.

In video games, I would say they are people who forget what they are, just video games.

Just a quick question, as I think it will solve this discussion:

Am I elitist if I pick player B over player A because player B has better numbers (any kind, be it progress, m+ score, logs, etc)?

I mean, everyone wants a smooth experience in this game, that's a fact, so why handicap yourself with less dedicated players (read: not saying bad, as someone could be skilled enough to be in world top 100 guilds, but does not have enough time for it), when you could choose a more dedicated player?

In the game, there's nothing but numbers to measure the capabilities of other players, so one has to assume everyone is equally skilled. And if everyone is equally skilled, then those with higher numbers (M+ score, etc.) are "better", cause those are an indicator of their own dedication to the game. And the "better" the people you play with are, the higher are the chances of a smooth experience in-game.