Need monitor and AIO liquid cooler advice

Hello guys,

I am almost done with my build, just a few pieces left and I need help with a monitor and all in one water cooler.y video card is capable of 4K gaming, but I’m going to stick to 1080 for now. I have an i7 7700k. What are you’re all’s advice? It seems like AIO coolers have mixed reviews.

I have a full tower case, the CM storm stryker
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

Why go 7700k now ?

Mainly price. And I’m always hesitant on buying brand new editions in parts. I’ve been burned by them before.
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vallin View Post
    Mainly price. And I’m always hesitant on buying brand new editions in parts. I’ve been burned by them before.
    So you're under the mistaken imoression that an i7 7700 you buy now is smehow different than one youd have bought at launch? As for cost...

Get an 8600K instead. Current tech, as far as that goes, and a likely upgrade path to Ice Lake in 2019. 6 real cores and an almost guaranteed 5.0ghz OC > 4 real core + HT and only getting a 5ghz OC ona golden sample.

Edit: i just realized you “already have” the i7. Ill stand by my comment, but the 7700k isnt garbage or anything. Itll do fine.

As far as an AIO... why are we stuck on an AIO? I mean, theyll do the job, but so will a good Air cooler like a BeQuiet! or Noctua. Im not saying “never get an AIO” (i have a Corsair H80i v2 in my rig for form factor reasons, and it works just fine), but it isnt necessary and they really dont cool better than an equally proced air cooler. (A 360mm or 480mm would probably cool better than an air cooler, but only because theres so much more radiator surface - the liquid aspect isnt the reason; a 120, 140, or 240, though, isnt going to be any better than a quality air cooler.)
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2017-12-22 at 11:33 PM.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    So you're under the mistaken imoression that an i7 7700 you buy now is smehow different than one youd have bought at launch? As for cost...

Get an 8600K instead. Current tech, as far as that goes, and a likely upgrade path to Ice Lake in 2019. 6 real cores and an almost guaranteed 5.0ghz OC > 4 real core + HT and only getting a 5ghz OC ona golden sample.

Edit: i just realized you “already have” the i7. Ill stand by my comment, but the 7700k isnt garbage or anything. Itll do fine.

As far as an AIO... why are we stuck on an AIO? I mean, theyll do the job, but so will a good Air cooler like a BeQuiet! or Noctua. Im not saying “never get an AIO” (i have a Corsair H80i v2 in my rig for form factor reasons, and it works just fine), but it isnt necessary and they really dont cool better than an equally proced air cooler. (A 360mm or 480mm would probably cool better than an air cooler, but only because theres so much more radiator surface - the liquid aspect isnt the reason; a 120, 140, or 240, though, isnt going to be any better than a quality air cooler.)
    Yes they do. Even the 280mm cools better then the best air coolers
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Yes they do. Even the 280mm cools better then the best air coolers
    No, they really dont.

https://youtu.be/hr0qLLv3dKc

I can post GNs videos, or Jayz, or Pauls, or BitWit, or....

Really, take your pick.

When it comes to cooling, unless you are going to do a custom, multi-radiator loop, Air Cooling will beat AIOs short of thicker 360 radiators or 480 rads. And at the point where youre doing a custom loop.. youve got a lot more budget and arent looking at AIOs anyway.

It all comes down to (fin) surface area available to dissipate the heat. The only difference between liquid cooling and air cooling is the location of the fins. In the end, the heat is still dissipated by running air through fins. The available surface area is what really matters.

People who think that AIOs are better automagically are generally people who dont understand that you have to let the AIO get heat saturated. Temps 2 minutes after startup are meaningles.

Ill re-iterate that i dont think AIOs are “bad”, either. Just that they arent some magical fairy dust that is super-betterer because liquid. They have their place. They work just fine - as i said, for form factor reasons I used a Corsair H80i v2 in my rig, and it is perfectly capable. Keeps my OCed 8600K under 70c even at full (CPU+GPU) Aida64 test loads for 4+ hours (4.8ghz @ 1.21v)

But good air coolers cool just as well, and often better, and have their own upsides (no possibility of leaks, no chance of pump failure blowing up your CPU (though with modern CPUs this is less relevant, as theyll usually shut down rather than get cooked.). They can also be quieter in many situations (pump noise can be louder than fan noise sometimes).
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2017-12-23 at 09:58 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, they really dont.

Really, take your pick.

When it comes to cooling, unless you are going to do a custom, multi-radiator loop, Air Cooling will beat AIOs short of thicker 360 radiators or 480 rads. And at the point where youre doing a custom loop.. youve got a lot more budget and arent looking at AIOs anyway.

It all comes down to (fin) surface area available to dissipate the heat. The only difference between liquid cooling and air cooling is the location of the fins. In the end, the heat is still dissipated by running air through fins. The available surface area is what really matters.

People who think that AIOs are better automagically are generally people who dont understand that you have to let the AIO get heat saturated. Temps 2 minutes after startup are meaningles.

Ill re-iterate that i dont think AIOs are “bad”, either. Just that they arent some magical fairy dust that is super-betterer because liquid. They have their place. They work just fine - as i said, for form factor reasons I used a Corsair H80i v2 in my rig, and it is perfectly capable. Keeps my OCed 8600K under 70c even at full (CPU+GPU) Aida64 test loads for 4+ hours (4.8ghz @ 1.21v)

But good air coolers cool just as well, and often better, and have their own upsides (no possibility of leaks, no chance of pump failure blowing up your CPU (though with modern CPUs this is less relevant, as theyll usually shut down rather than get cooked.). They can also be quieter in many situations (pump noise can be louder than fan noise sometimes).
    Yes they do corsair h100i v2 Noctua nd h15 32c H100i v2 29c. The air coolers are about 5-9c behind

nzxt kraken x62

AOI are cooler then air coolers and they have allways been. But are they worth the price? Thats up to the person to decide. I went with one for the cooling and the look
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

AOI are cooler then air coolers and they have allways been.
    circumstances vary.. i dumped my h100i recently and the air cooler i replaced it with (at 50% of the original h100i cost) does the same job without being any louder.

every situation is different and aio's definitely can be useful, but if space isn't an issue i'd just lump an air cooler in there and not worry about the "what if it leaks" in 3-4 years.

Deleted
    VSG reckons on a 4770k@1.25v, between an h110i and and cryorig r1 ultimate, the aio performs 3c better, 100% pump/fans, at which point the h110i is at 67dba and the r1 at 53dba; but VSG also soaks with AIDA64 which pulls quite a bit less power than p95/AVX, so that delta may increase by a couple of c under a heavy largely synthetic load.

I think it's pretty much "horses for courses" at this point, I see situational benefit in both. I'd prefer to delid rather than argue a few degrees delta between them

Yes they do corsair h100i v2 Noctua nd h15 32c H100i v2 29c. The air coolers are about 5-9c behind

nzxt kraken x62

AOI are cooler then air coolers and they have allways been. But are they worth the price? Thats up to the person to decide. I went with one for the cooling and the look
    its quite literally like you didnt watch the video where the AIO does not, in fact, perform better than the air cooler... while quoting statistics from a three year old comparison where they are running a test that only runs a few minutes. And they reset it and let it run again. The AIO wont heat saturate that way.

Do i need to link a remedial video on why you have to let the AIO reach equilibrium and heat soak?

Oh, hey, here's another modern test:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3...-liquid-vs-air

Oh look, almost zero difference. On literally the hottest CPU you can get right now.

How many more do i need to post before you will admit you're wrong? I can dig up a half a dozen videos and as many articles that aren't three years old and use actual good testing methodology.

This is why I don't recommend water-cooling:

In fact, I had purchased myself a Fractal Design Kelvin S36 high-quality liquid cooler (Swedish) for use in my rig, but then never actually installed it as when I read the manual it said that "WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOUR NEW LIQUID COOLER WON'T LEAK". I promptly resold it on e-bay instead.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Deleted
    AIO coolers are not worth it, they are ugly and don't perform any better and far more expensive, the only thing they have is, most AIO are easier to install on a motherboard then a number of air coolers, but if you go Noctua or Cryorig, you be fine and they actually look nicer.

Well aesthetics is always personal. Some people like the cleaner look on the motherboard of a water block. Some people prefer a sweet looking air cooler.

That, at least, is subjective. And AIOs arent always -more- expensive than the really good air coolers, often coming in around the same prices (~120).

And sometimes you have to use them, for form factor reasons. (like my rig in the Evolv Shift). Theres no room for even a low profile air cooler; even the Cryorig C7 and Noctua's ultra low profile models would sit like 4mm from the glass and would starve for air.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, they really dont.

Really, take your pick.

I did and you can't use that test for shit. The aio's don't cover the whole cpu because they are not made for that cpu. So that test is a no go for me