Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    From what little I know the probability is on the side of a paralympian not pulling a victim card.
    you have never been accused of knowing much

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    In my country you need to reserve room on the train a few days beforehand if you're in a wheelchair, else you're not allowed on.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd argue people won't really stop taking trains just because of something like this though. It's not like taking a train is a 'luxury' item, it's usually a necessity to get from point A to point B. So 'popularity' doesn't matter much.
    True, it won't hurt sales but it's slap in the face for the company.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Glad I don't live in your country
    my favorite thing in the world, disabled people with entitled attitudes. i know life in a wheelchair must suck but you people tend to take advantage of whatever situation you can.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    my favorite thing in the world, disabled people with entitled attitudes. i know life in a wheelchair must suck but you people tend to take advantage of whatever situation you can.
    Yeah because not wanting to have to book a train journey in advance when others don't is totally entitled What if an unforseen event occurs that requires a sudden train journey

I bet there were others who couldnt get on the train either. So for the sake of equality. She should have got there earlier

Deleted
    Having been on trains in Japan, I can safely say that England doesn't have trains that simply "have no room".

What kind of train are we talking about here? Like the street trains in munich where some bitches with their baby carriages or people in wheelchairs try to take the one fucking tram that is already choke full of students because it's one of the rush hour ones that passes the local universities and people are already stacking on top of one another? Or are we talking a casual train ride on an inter-city with bought seats?
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-12-23 at 09:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is this news?

'One passenger said something either mean or true to another passenger - call the reporters!'

Seems pretty lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Why is this news?

'One passenger said something either mean or true to another passenger - call the reporters!'

Seems pretty lame.

Bro- someone was mean to a cripple and she whined on Twitter. This is journalism in 2017.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Fonduset View Post
    I bet there were others who couldnt get on the train either. So for the sake of equality. She should have got there earlier
    The article says she said everybody else waiting on the platform got on. But the article is missing a ton of details to know what actually happened. Even if everyone else there got on, was she the last one to try? When I would take the subway in Boston I'd usually let everyone else get on first and sometimes there really wasn't room for me to get on without causing major problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    There just isn't the staff or resources for it. What would someone in a wheelchair do once they arrive where they need to step off? Jump out of the door? Also how are they going to get on on their own?

If you don't call in advance the train company can't provide the service personnel who will get you on and off the train, simple as that.
    pretty much this.
    where i live, there's no rule saying that people need to book, but all intercity trains have a high entrance, so a special scissor lift/boarding ramp needs to be used if someone in a wheelchair wants to board.
    if you book a handicap ticket there will be a lift and personnel on site to help you off.

our newest trains (general unused, only few units in use on regional trains) have a low-bed-low-entrance carriage, but alas they never really entered use.

metro systems/intra-city trains have low entrances tho.

Well from personal experience I have had people sit in disabled bays or put bikes there and say "Sorry full" despite rules been one has to move if a wheelchair user enters. A conductor once had to argue with a drunk cyclist over this
    I don't think people should be in those areas if there's room, but if they got there first and there really isn't more room, asking them to get off seems absurd. Part of equality is being treated equally rather than getting special favors - if there's no room, tough shit, wait for the next train.

10+ Year Old Account
    disabled people have always been treated as second class citizens in this country

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Why is this news?

Seems pretty lame.
    she's pretty famous here in England

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    From what little I know the probability is on the side of a paralympian not pulling a victim card.
    The same one who received a settlement because she couldn't hold her piss because a toilet was out of order? Hell, I almost shit myself at a bar once, and the toilet was out of order, but I don't get a settlement because my legs work.

It sounds to me like she pulls the victim card any chance she gets.

#equalrights(withpreferentialtreatment)isalltheywant

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you riding Indian trains?
    That's what London's Tube looks like during rush hour...

Hyphened last name..........ZFG.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Some really shitty people ride trains. I could share all kinds of stories about the people who refuse to give up their folding seats so that disabled persons can move their wheel chairs into position. I could share stories about how people will put their bags on an adjacent seat during rush hours and then complain to the Conductor when someone asks them to move their bags so they can sit down.

There's a reason Commuter Engineers and Conductors go to a "Charm School" -- it's to deal with the excessive amount of stupid and whining that passengers do on a regular basis.
    Being disabled shouldn't mean other people have to cater to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I don't get it. Another passenger makes the decision if there is room or not?
    Exactly. If the train staff said there wasn't enough room, that's one thing. Other rando passengers don't get to decide if there is or isn't room.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    Being disabled shouldn't mean other people have to cater to you.
    Being disabled means that there are specifically designed areas for you on most American Trains. If you aren't disabled and are taking up those spaces and a disabled individual needs the spot you can be removed from the train and/or fined. Consider me shocked that the train in this story doesn't seem to have that.

The second part of that article about the woman wetting herself due to an out of service disabled bathroom would have resulted in a massive fine for the railroad here in the States as it would fail FRA safety guidelines as that particular car should have been put out of service until repairs could have been made.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Being disabled means that there are specifically designed areas for you on most American Trains. If you aren't disabled and are taking up those spaces and a disabled individual needs the spot you can be removed from the train and/or fined. Consider me shocked that the train in this story doesn't seem to have that.

The second part of that article about the woman wetting herself due to an out of service disabled bathroom would have resulted in a massive fine for the railroad here in the States as it would fail FRA safety guidelines as that particular car should have been put out of service until repairs could have been made.
    no you can not be removed from the train, you can be removed from that particular seat, yes. But if the bus is full or train is full, then they bus/train can not pick up additional passenagers. Disabled people are not priortized to go on a destination, especially if the person sitting on those chairs already payed the ticket. If there is room in the train or in the bus, the disabled person is allocated those seats.