Poll: Would you mind if Blizzard added achievements to Classic WoW?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by In Ogres We Trust View Post
    On a side note - and this is why I support discussion versus the mindless ranting by certain posters, at the beginning, I was for the inclusion of dual and/or tri-specialization, but then a poster made an excellent comment... dual and/or tri-specialization removes the "I'm an Arms Warrior or Fire Mage" aspect of the game. To me, that was an excellent point, and a result, it changed my feelings on the subject.

P.S. Priest leveling in Classic... wand... bubble... DoT... wand... wand... wand... prey for the death of the PvE mob... drink... repeat.
    I don't care about Dual Spec one way or the other, but this is somewhat flawed logic with Vanilla's class balancing. It isn't really "I'm an Arms Warrior or Fire Mage" so much as it's "I'm a mage (and that means I play frost because fire is non-viable in early content, or fire in later tiers)" or "I am a warrior (and that means prot, or arms without gear and fury with it" or "I am a druid (and that means resto)".

This "I am a <spec> <class>" thing only really showed up when you were prefacing the fact that you were playing something less than great, like ret or balance, because then people are likely to be angry if you don't point out that you are playing an unusual spec. It's not like when someone was LFDPS you whispered them "Hey, demonology warlock here." either the content was low enough that spec was irrelevant, or you were playing the best spec because you weren't a dummy.

I'm not sure dual spec really does all that much to alter identity, especially when for a lot of classes, dual spec would mean having a raiding talent setup for your best spec, and having a PvP talent setup for your best spec. I don't think any priest who dual specs holy-shadow, and heals in raids (lol1shadowpriestonlymaybe) but uses shadow for farming and low content is going to have an identity crisis. They are a priest (holy). That's what they raid as, and do relevant content as.

Particularly with the modern day, "Anything but the most optimal is trash" mindset, I don't expect you'll see all that many people respecing often to begin with, unless they are hybrids who are also PvPing/farming often in the open world, in which case they are going to respec back and forth anyway, dual is just making their life less of a pain in the ass.

But again, I don't really care either way. I didn't switch specs often during Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by DysprosiumDy View Post
    Achievements were added to WoW in 3.0. Now, personally I am in favor of a WoW Classic that doesn't add QoL changes besides obvious bugfixes, etc. But achievements got me thinking... I don't think the addition of achievements would affect any of the gameplay or experience, but I'm sure people could argue otherwise. I'm honestly interested in what people think about this and why.
    Yeah, ahead of the curve would be great so you could weed out the weak players right away when making groups.
    Right?

I think it might be nice to add feats of strength on the retail servers that you can unlock from doing certain big things on vanilla servers. Stuff like capping a lv 60 (because that on its own is a pretty time consuming endeavor), killing each wing boss in naxx, killing c'thun, etc. Nothing that shows in the vanilla server itself but a nice little bragging right if you play both.

Of course, these would have to give no reward other than the achievement itself

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DysprosiumDy View Post
    Achievements were added to WoW in 3.0. Now, personally I am in favor of a WoW Classic that doesn't add QoL changes besides obvious bugfixes, etc. But achievements got me thinking... I don't think the addition of achievements would affect any of the gameplay or experience, but I'm sure people could argue otherwise. I'm honestly interested in what people think about this and why.
    Achievements with rewards such as mounts or pets or titles tend to change how people approach a task. Many people would be willing to do something they dont like for a cool mount but that tends to saturate that task (e.g. battlegrounds) with people who are only interested in it for the achievement instead of people who love the thing itself.

Battlegrounds are a good example, compare a team half filled with people who only are doing it so they can get to prestige 1 for the skin unlock and dont really care about winning or losing vs a group of 10 people who really love bgs and want to succeed. Its a totally different dynamic

It changes the way the game is played far more than most people realize. That said I could get on board if it was something personal that couldn't be linked or used as a barometer, that has turned out to be the single worst aspect of the system.

Yes. But don't add support for linking them in chat or when you inspect someone. Also don't add it to the armory if there will be one. Also no rewards more than achievement points or something skinner box like.