Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I've went for 2 weeks without power here in the states, because of a snow storm.. I don't think it is unrealistic for a shit infrastructure to still be shit in BFE after a huge storm.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Since people seem confused....PR is a US territory. Puerto Ricans are US citizens. Trump made up a bullshit excuse so he could deny them sufficient aid. Probably because Trump is a racist and they are US citizens of a skin color Trump dislikes.
    Materials were sent, bosses at the truck lines protested and used the situation to lobby for a pay raise with their unions.

And the mayor of San Juan allowed the materials to rot for the sake of politics.

You can give a starving man all the food he could ask for, but if he does not get eat for the sake of making a statement, he'll die all the same. The only difference is that the starving man has a guard in front of him saying 'NO' and ensuring that the help is not received.

But hey, a few people dying for an agenda just makes people sympathetic, right?
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

The problem with Puerto Rico is part politics and part logistics.

The infrastructure on PR was bad before the Hurricane hurt and obviously worse after. It doesn't matter how much money is thrown at the island if the bottleneck is distribution of supplies.

But!

The US military is capable of mobilizing mass logistics within weeks (eg see gulf war) to deliver supplies throughout the island.

Sad situation that PR is in where people on the mainland have forgotten them!

And not surprising that many Puerto Ricans have bought homes in Florida and plan to never return to PR anytime soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    PR- none
    PR - Major pharmaceutical factories.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Total gdp from pharmaceutical companies in PR is only $25 billion.

GDP of Texas is over $1.6 trillion/yr.

Total gdp from pharmaceutical companies in PR is only $25 billion.

GDP of Texas is over $1.6 trillion/yr.
    You just compared one sector of the islands economy, to the entire state of texas. I mean, an actual comparison would still illustrate you point (480bil for houston, 100bil for PR), there was no reason to be dishonest with your stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    You just compared one sector of the islands economy, to the entire state of texas. I mean, an actual comparison would still illustrate you point (480bil for houston, 100bil for PR), there was no reason to be dishonest with your stats.
    I was not dishonest. The money PR brings in is miniscule compared to Texas.

Total GDP of PR - 103 billion

Total GDP of Texas - 1.6 trillion

Not even close.

Not even close.
    Again, you shouldn't be comparing it to the entirety of texas. The entirety of texas wasn't affected by the hurricane, while that is true for PR. That's why you're being dishonest with your statistics, and, as I pointed out, for no reason, as the appropriate statistics still illustrate your point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Not even close.
    It's still deserving of aid. PR also makes as much or more than 15 US states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._states_by_GDP

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Again, you shouldn't be comparing it to the entirety of texas. The entirety of texas wasn't affected by the hurricane, while that is true for PR. That's why you're being dishonest with your statistics, and, as I pointed out, for no reason, as the appropriate statistics still illustrate your point.
    The parts of Texas affected also happened to be where most of the money is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    It's still deserving of aid. PR also makes as much or more than 15 US states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._states_by_GDP
    I am not arguing that. Just saying one of the main reasons why PR is on the back burner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    I've went for 2 weeks without power here in the states, because of a snow storm.. I don't think it is unrealistic for a shit infrastructure to still be shit in BFE after a huge storm.
    And its the responsibility of the US to fix it.

DAFUQ does how much money PR brings have to do with anything?

This is going slow because they aren't white and the POTUS is a bigot.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningMan View Post
    Materials were sent, bosses at the truck lines protested and used the situation to lobby for a pay raise with their unions.

And the mayor of San Juan allowed the materials to rot for the sake of politics.

You can give a starving man all the food he could ask for, but if he does not get eat for the sake of making a statement, he'll die all the same. The only difference is that the starving man has a guard in front of him saying 'NO' and ensuring that the help is not received.

But hey, a few people dying for an agenda just makes people sympathetic, right?
    I remember those stories, but afaik they were debunked. Do you have any sources on that which proof this to be true? Genuine question, since I last read the rebuke.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    DAFUQ does how much money PR brings have to do with anything?

This is going slow because they aren't white and the POTUS is a bigot.
    Except .... you know .... that’s not even remotely the issue.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Except .... you know .... that’s not even remotely the issue.
    It never is.

Brought to you by the same people that said racism not even remotely the issue for Charleston.

Quote Originally Posted by Juuza View Post
    Houston: 49% white people
    Puerto Rico: 75.8% white people

yep, racism
    Yep, when in the first case you don't include Latinos as "white" and in the second case you do. Love it when you guys do that!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    It never is.

Brought to you by the same people that said racism not even remotely the issue for Charleston.
    The military and FEMA are doing their standard operations?

Can you point out where Trump impeded them, directed them to move slower, kept money from them, etc.? Literally any example of anything from him impeding their standard operations?

People keep pointing out Puerto Rico not getting extra funding like Texas and Florida did... One, that has nothing to do with Trump... And two, that's because those are actual states and they have actual representatives in congress who hold other policy matters hostage for that funding... The GOP would like nothing more than deny their funding too, they don't want to spend money on shelter and medical care for poor hurricane victims no matter where they live, but when GOP congressmen from Texas and Florida threaten to vote against the GOP legislative agenda (like the tax bill) and what not, they cave on the funding... Puerto Rico isn't a state and has no such representation, thus no leverage to demand the same funding. And once again, none of that has anything to do with Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    Yep, when in the first case you don't include Latinos as "white" and in the second case you do. Love it when you guys do that!
    Hispanic isn’t a race.

Race isn’t a biological concept.

The whole thing is stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Why? Isn't a complete loss of power for an island territory of 3.4 million people at least as serious as it is for parts of states which can still at least receive outside supplies from neighboring areas?
    0 Representative
    0 Senators
    0 Electoral Votes
    0 Trump gold courses (besides the one that went bankrupt)

For this administration, Puerto Rico is a foreign country. The tax bill even adds a 12.5% tax on businesses in Puerto Rico because they're not considered "domestic".

Deleted
    The parts of Texas affected also happened to be where most of the money is.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not arguing that. Just saying one of the main reasons why PR is on the back burner.
    Not even sure why Texas still requires federal assistance at this point, it's a rich state with a lot of people, get them to work within statelines and the problem is solved, it's what every country in the world does nowadays, you redirect work within border lines to focus on the most important issues.

I mean it takes Japan to repair a road at very high standard that was torn apart by a quake on top of that a land slide in 72 hours. Americans can't even fix powerlines and power infrastructure of a small island within months. Seems like there's some serious problems with the labour skills of the Americans in the infrastructure sector.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    The military and FEMA are doing their standard operations?

Can you point out where Trump impeded them, directed them to move slower, kept money from them, etc.? Literally any example of anything from him impeding their standard operations?

People keep pointing out Puerto Rico not getting extra funding like Texas and Florida did... One, that has nothing to do with Trump... And two, that's because those are actual states and they have actual representatives in congress who hold other policy matters hostage for that funding... The GOP would like nothing more than deny their funding too, they don't want to spend money on shelter and medical care for poor hurricane victims no matter where they live, but when GOP congressmen from Texas and Florida threaten to vote against the GOP legislative agenda (like the tax bill) and what not, they cave on the funding... Puerto Rico isn't a state and has no such representation, thus no leverage to demand the same funding. And once again, none of that has anything to do with Trump.
    Obviously. But any other president would have done more than Trump, that's the truth, we know it, and you know it.

Doesn't mean that when you aren't part of the problem that you can't be part of the solution.