Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by By the Emperor View Post
    It can't update total values in real time, something Skada does perfectly fine:
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...e#post48146212

In m+ current fight numbers doesn't mean a thing, it's the total which matters as the clock is on the whole run, not a specific pull. I want to be able to have a clear view of damage, healing, interrupts and damage taken to see who's doing what in order to get a clearer picture of peoples performance in our runs.
    You can absolutely do that with details.

I normally run with DPS (Total and Fight), Interrupts and Damage Taken with no issue- and without the headache I remember from WoD-era Skada WRT setting up multiple windows with ElvUI. I'm not a high end key pusher, but we do sell KSM on the regular with a team of people from within our guild. Any in-depth analysis we do for weeding out applicants is done via log review though.

Also, no wowhead .... only THOTTBOT for you!

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't play it, no. I have never really played it much without addons and it wouldn't be the same game. Will it happen, again, no.

Deleted
    If they want to do things right (and by that I mean, following their own philosophy that if it wasn't in vanilla, it won't be in Classic WoW) then they'll give addons the same options they had back then. And that means the addons will be way less advanced than they are currently.

They will definitely allow addons. That's not something we should discuss. But there WILL be a good chance that they'll restrict addons to only use vanilla capabilities. And that's much more interesting to think about...

Quote Originally Posted by DysprosiumDy View Post
    If they want to do things right (and by that I mean, following their own philosophy that if it wasn't in vanilla, it won't be in Classic WoW) then they'll give addons the same options they had back then. And that means the addons will be way less advanced than they are currently.
    Addons were much more advanced in terms of features back then as LUA API had much less restrictions. It's just not everyone figured out how to develop these properly until TBC. You could reach full automation with addons back then.

I don't care for most, but one thing I can think of that would be sorely missed: threat meters.

Art by draken4o

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercane View Post
    You can absolutely do that with details.

I normally run with DPS (Total and Fight), Interrupts and Damage Taken with no issue- and without the headache I remember from WoD-era Skada WRT setting up multiple windows with ElvUI. I'm not a high end key pusher, but we do sell KSM on the regular with a team of people from within our guild. Any in-depth analysis we do for weeding out applicants is done via log review though.
    I've tried Details three or four times due to people repeatedly trying to tell me how great it is, yet each time I tried setting it to overall data it only updated whenever we left combat, not during combat. The link I posted links to the very creator of Details whose response to the question of why it's not possible is "the reason is complicated".

Well I got Skada to do the work for me without putting in any work at all. I don't use ElvUI and all I needed to do with Skada was create the number of windows I wanted, set them to display damage, healing, interrupts and damage taken and set them to total data rather than current.

I think it'd be fun if they disabled all addons on live servers for a week. Would get to watch so many people flounder about because they have no idea how to play the game without baddons holding their hand for them or stroking their ego

Yes. Addons aren't the draw.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    As long as they let me have the ones to adjust the UI and bags they could force the rest out imo. Playing with the Blizzard UI is nearly torture, and so is dealing with those bags without a mod.
    I could live without everything but my bars. I dont think you'll have much trouble with bags in classic........wont be that much space to start with.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparklelord View Post
    I think it'd be fun if they disabled all addons on live servers for a week. Would get to watch so many people flounder about because they have no idea how to play the game without baddons holding their hand for them or stroking their ego
    Spoken like someone who has never played vanilla.

Addons help, but they are by no means "holding hands".

Judging by your sig, you hate vanilla, so I'm not sure why you're even here to begin with. Shoo, troll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Also, no wowhead .... only THOTTBOT for you!
    That would be more vanilla than vanilla itself!

OT: Yep, would play. I was wondering that today, with the current knowledge we have about the game now, there are some functions that'd probably need to be tweaked down so people couldn't come up with iLevel addons #158 or achievement tracker without achievement.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

"No addons" is not classic. *throws more threads into the Classic Players Don't Know What They Want pile*
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Add ons are great to customise your UI and notice things faster , but if they change it I wont have problem to play the game .
    Expect the poster for receive mails and open all together thats will suck .

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    NO amount of addons is gonna destroy vanilla lol. Ppl had so many addons in vanilla that memoryspace started to become an issue.
    That wasn't because people were running so many addons or that the addons were so complex. It was because, at the time, compared to today, their computers were absolute shit. Running today's addons in a classic setting with the same computing power available back then would pretty much destroy the ability to actually play the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Spoken like someone who has never played vanilla.

Addons help, but they are by no means "holding hands".

Judging by your sig, you hate vanilla, so I'm not sure why you're even here to begin with. Shoo, troll.
    I've played since vanilla, all the expansions. And I wasn't talking about vanilla addons specifically, talking about today's addons. DBM is def a hand holder. So was the AVR (which is why it was banned). So is healbot. If you can't do your job without the help from an addon, than it's absolutely hand holding. Lots of people (read: not everyone) seriously can't function without their addons. If you want to refute that, you're either blind or one of them.

As for my sig, I'm actually rooting for Vanilla and when it releases I'm dropping regular all together. I put that as my quote so that when that guy is proven absolutely wrong, it's easy for me and anyone who sees my sig to point and laugh at him.

Only troll here is you. xoxo

What if they decided no buttons and you had to type out your casts in full from a command line?
    What if they decided no colour and the whole game was in greyscale only?
    What if they decided the camera would be first person perspective only?
    What if they decided a required peripheral that you actually had to feed coins every 5 minutes?
    What if they decided to remove all bags besides the original backpack?
    What if they decided your mother had to place a phone call to Blizzard HQ and answer some lore questions before you could log in each day?

Would you still play?

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Well some of those can be broken.
    The API functions that made healbot work was semi removed in TBC, I say semi as they could still be used out of combat I believe.
    The functions required to make AVR work only existed for a short while if I remember correctly so that won't be an issue.
    Boss mods on the other hand like bigwigs and dbm can't really be broken due to how basic they actually are. By basic I mean that the functions they use are function used by most addons, they're advanced when it comes to implementation but that's mostly work on the client side with the LUA language.
    Yeah, cool story. AVR was broken by Blizzard on purpose because of how it was too much hand holding. The point wasn't that they could be broken, it was that they are allowed to exist specifically because they actually hurt anyone to have around and that they make the game more accessible for a lot of people that couldn't play the game successfully otherwise.

Addons are great tools, and they can be really helpful. But you don't NEED them. I've been in too many raids where people basically shut down because their addon malfunction. Like I said, lots of people (again, NOT all people) can't function properly without their addons. That's just a fact.

Addons were readily available in vanilla so why would this new classic be any different. There's 2 major differences from then and now which are (1) Addons had automation in vanilla and (2) Addons are much more advanced now. The only possible way to try and give it a closer to vanilla experience when it comes to addons is to revert back to the vanilla api which is definitely not something they want or even care to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    The fact that you think DBM makes you good says volumes about your cognitive abilities.

DBM just made fights easier. You know...for dumb people who dont raid in progression guilds. You realize there are people who actually have to go out there, learn the fight, and beat the boss without DBM so that someone can program it for all you noobs who rely on it, right?
    There was La Vendetta Boss Mods (now DBM) and CT_RaidAssist/CT_Mods to help with timers. People didn't memorize everything act accordingly. If you think they did then I'm here to tell you that you're wrong. The current iteration of WoW and even previous ever since WeakAuras was created have been using that to make their own timers/boss mods for new encounters where BW/DBM haven't yet been coded.

You obviously weren't in a very good guild. I remember when I was raiding progression in Vanilla, the newest fights didn't have DBM support yet. Point is: DBM was a crutch for bad players.

Blizzard actually almost banned it at some point, but decided to integrate it instead.
    Half the battle back in vanilla raiding was finding 39 other people capable enough that understood the game enough to do encounters. I'm sure you were in a guild competing for world 1st-100th, amirite? Hey, I was in the top guild on my server for vanilla/tbc, give me a cookie too....

That might be good. With decursive it just involved spamming your hot key every few seconds.
    Mages didn't have a hotkey to decurse an entire raid back then, show's how much you truly played. Us mages used decursive where you just clicked on the affected player and it auto-decursed. That addon is what made Blizzard add a few second cooldown to decursing/cleansing.

@OP; Here's a ss of mine from vanilla showing that addons were definitely used...

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    That wasn't because people were running so many addons or that the addons were so complex. It was because, at the time, compared to today, their computers were absolute shit. Running today's addons in a classic setting with the same computing power available back then would pretty much destroy the ability to actually play the game.
    Oh i am well aware. However, the narrative that addons somehow will "ruin" Classic is completely false. We had addons in vanilla, a fuckton of em. For every little thing. It didnt ruin the game then it wont in classic.