Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    tons of local jobs in my area try their best to underpay, some do some work arounds to pay less than minimum and they still struggle so yes the inherent idea of he title is true

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    And how are you supposed to do that while working 2+ jobs and unable to afford further education?
    then you should have done it when you were 18 not when you were 27 .. stop partying and get education .. find a way anyone can do it ... move to someplace low cost ... there are many ways rather than "I work 2 jobs and have no time" its upto YOU to better yourself .. its not my job to better you.

Why are you talking about 16 year olds? You really believe only 16 year olds could possibly have jobs that pay near or at min. wage?

Oh right, you think everyone else making min. wage is a failure. It's also already been pointed out to you that the price difference between a 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom isn't that drastically different. Which you just responded to, and still didn't seem to grasp.

Why should anyone be condemned to live with a roommate because you want large corporations and shitty businesses to squeeze every dollar out of their employees?
    If your over 22 and get paid minimum wage you failed at life and wasted the last 6 years of your life.

- - - Updated - - -

So, you're condemning them to that life forever now because of mistakes they might have made in the past? You also realize it's a false notion that most of these people are in that position because of their own fault, right?

Your belief that you can just move somewhere low cost is ridiculous. Do you have any idea how expensive it is to move? No one asking you to personally go around and do shit. Grow up and learn how social programs work.
    If you are 25 and have no life skills you failed in life and have lost. It is your fault not everyone else and your worth what your worth.

A bus ticket and move would be all that is required .. if your so poor you have no shit .. go couch surf for a few weeks .. or go back to school.

How can they afford school? Jesus christ are you not even thinking about the shit you post at all?
    Get a loan .. go to community collage rather than Yale .. In Arizona the Maricopa community colleges cost about $86 per credit hour and Arizona can be a low cost of living state. This means if you take a full time course load of 15 credit hours it costs about $2000 per semester including books and you can get a shared apartment for about $350-400 a month. A student loan PLUS a part time job and school may not be easy bit its doable for EVERYONE but no .. you want it handed to you ... just give it for free fuck actually working for what you want.

This is misleading. What exactly is the "rent rate" they are quoting? I mean a one bedroom home, where do those exist? I could see a one bedroom apartment but not a house. Also, if they apply a general rate to the entire nation, it will screw with the results. I mean, a home in California will certainly cost more then one in Montana, so if applied evenly will make some states fair far worse then others.

Minimum wage sucks, I get it, but this chart is deceptive. IN addition, most of the states offer higher minimum wage then federal yet they still list the hours needed to work in federal law not state. Its designed to elicit a reaction.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ah, Annamarine, spouting the typical talking points of someone who thinks talking down to people is an actual solution to a problem. Blaming people for their problems -- regardless of the root cause -- isn't going to help anything. When the majority of the population is struggling, that eventually becomes a problem for society as a whole whether you like it -- or whether it fits your favorite narrative -- or not. Telling millions of people, "well, you screwed up, too bad" doesn't make them go away.

How can they afford school? Jesus christ are you not even thinking about the shit you post at all?
    School is actually very easy to get funding for, with next to zero and in most cases zero money out of pocket. Dont get me wrong you will have to pay for it later, but getting the initial funding is stupidly easy. It requires effort and for people to stop feeling sorry for themselves however, which many dont want to do, they simply want to bitch and moan about how unfair the system is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Ah, Annamarine, spouting the typical talking points of someone who thinks talking down to people is an actual solution to a problem. Blaming people for their problems -- regardless of the root cause -- isn't going to help anything. When the majority of the population is struggling, that eventually becomes a problem for society as a whole whether you like it -- or whether it fits your favorite narrative -- or not. Telling millions of people, "well, you screwed up, too bad" doesn't make them go away.
    Majority is NOT struggling .. the majority has a better quality of life than 90% o the rest of the world. I dont know what drugs you're smoking.

Yes if you fuck up YOU need to fix it

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Yeah it's funny to see the GOP arguing there shouldn't be a minimum wage. If your business can't afford to pay people a salary that isn't even close to a livable wage, you shouldn't be in business to begin with.
    There goes the farming industry

Quote Originally Posted by Cyi View Post
    School is actually very easy to get funding for, with next to zero and in most cases zero money out of pocket. Dont get me wrong you will have to pay for it later, but getting the initial funding is stupidly easy. It requires effort and for people to stop feeling sorry for themselves however, which many dont want to do, they simply want to bitch and moan about how unfair the system is.
    They will have time to stand and march and protest .. but actually working .. nope that is too much to ask for. Easier to just bitch and complain and whine but actually obtaining marketable skills that's to much to ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Learn a trade, lots and lots of jobs out there that people can learn a skill at. Sure, you may not be able to become a DR this way, but hey, the world needs ditch diggers too and they can make a living at it. Better then working for minimum wage.

People are far more likely to be successful in school if they don't have such financial burdens or have to worry about holding down a full time job. (You can't afford 400/month plus other expensives with a part time job). Some people also can't get student loans and it's a fucking insane notion in the first place that your suggestion for poor people is to just go in MORE DEBT to then hopefully one day get a job to get them out of debt. Especially if you're going to a community college. Good luck competing with other people who have a bachelor's degree or more.
    Everyone can get government student loans what are you smoking?

If you get a actual degree that is worth something .. preferable in a STEM program you will find a far better job than working for Mcdonalds for $9.50 a hour.

Its not supposed to be easy but it is doable. Just standing around whining about how its not fair will do absolutely nothing for you. Going and obtaining marketable skills will.

- - - Updated - - -

Learn a trade, lots and lots of jobs out there that people can learn a skill at. Sure, you may not be able to become a DR this way, but hey, the world needs ditch diggers too and they can make a living at it. Better then working for minimum wage.
    Or construction .. hard manual labour sure but its good paying work.

People are far more likely to be successful in school if they don't have such financial burdens or have to worry about holding down a full time job. (You can't afford 400/month plus other expensives with a part time job). Some people also can't get student loans and it's a fucking insane notion in the first place that your suggestion for poor people is to just go in MORE DEBT to then hopefully one day get a job to get them out of debt. Especially if you're going to a community college. Good luck competing with other people who have a bachelor's degree or more.
    So your solution is to just hand people money and hope for the best? For craps sack man/women/thing, this world isn't designed to give people everything they need. There is nothing wrong with starting at a community college and then moving onto a university. People do it ALL the time and in fact many large universities even encourage it. ASU has an entire pathway program for the counties community colleges. In addition, not all skills require a bachleors degree. Go become a technician in the medical field, learn to draw blood, learn to weld, work on engines etc. There are so many paths to take, sadly they all require some sacrifice, hard work and time. If being poor is so fucking bad, I would take any of this over being poor any longer. Yes, going into debt in the future to get out of the hells cape that is being poor is a great option.

It's not deceptive. It tells you exactly what it says it tells you. Even you interpreted it correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

You can't get a STEM degree worth a shit from a community college. Government student loans are a plague on our educational standards as well. They should be abolished.
    and I can create a chart where it find the cheapest advertised rent in the state and compare that to the state minimum wage and give a chart that makes it look quite good .. but it doesn't fit your narrative so you would rather go with this.

Which is a problem on its own honestly. The way the government funds education currently is insanely stupid. It artificially boosts tuition costs because the schools know you can just get a loan that cover the cost. If the government funded education directly they'd be able to do it much more cheaply than putting millions of students in debt for the first ten years of their career.

OK, as someone who has student loans, I will agree, our system sucks, but it is a system we all have access to and its a level playing field. Doesnt change the fact that it is still a way to a better life.

So your solution is to just hand people money and hope for the best? For craps sack man/women/thing, this world isn't designed to give people everything they need. There is nothing wrong with starting at a community college and then moving onto a university. People do it ALL the time and in fact many large universities even encourage it. ASU has an entire pathway program for the counties community colleges. In addition, not all skills require a bachleors degree. Go become a technician in the medical field, learn to draw blood, learn to weld, work on engines etc. There are so many paths to take, sadly they all require some sacrifice, hard work and time. If being poor is so fucking bad, I would take any of this over being poor any longer. Yes, going into debt in the future to get out of the hells cape that is being poor is a great option. You are a sad person and really makes me lose hope for us.
    Hell in Arizona becoming a LPN or a RN takes 1-2 years of school and pay 15-30 or more a hour to start and there are tons of jobs there and its growing.

Heck a quick search shows thousands of jobs in Arizona alone for a RN (2 years of education plus a certification test) for 75k +

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarine View Post
    and I can create a chart where it find the cheapest advertised rent in the state and compare that to the state minimum wage and give a chart that makes it look quite good .. but it doesn't fit your narrative so you would rather go with this.

This was my point, thank you for making it more clear. Logic is a bitch.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    you check the employees pay of every place you go to ?
    Glassdoor is a thing, and if that's not up your alley then nothing is stopping you from asking the employees themselves. Shouldn't be an issue if you feel as strongly as you do.

It's not deceptive. It tells you exactly what it says it tells you. Even you interpreted it correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

You can't get a STEM degree worth a shit from a community college. Government student loans are a plague on our educational standards as well. They should be abolished.
    Yeah I wouldn't suggest a STEM degree is right for everyone, but there are other options, most still way better then working for minimum wage at McD's. Its OK to not be a rich person, just ask the dem's. Not everyone needs to be lawyer, scientist or doctor. The trades are a valuable source of income if people would just learn them.

This was my point, thank you for making it more clear. Logic is a bitch.
    Yes I know Im on your side.