Poll: Anduin's importance in World of Warcraft?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Has Anduin Wrynn become the main protagonist of World of Warcraft?

1) He's the only character alongside Velen who's got an unbreakable plot armor til the very end of WOW.

2) He's one of the most developed character of all of Warcraft and in a positive light, he was already destined to do great things back in Vanilla

3) He basically a gary-stu, smart,mature for his age,tolerant and kind as well as insanely gifted in the use of the light.

4) They killed off Varian so he could be the Alliance's posterboy, yes they did the same with Vol'Jin/Sylvanas however Varian was a more relevant character than Vol'Jin in the gran scheme of things.

5) Having a blonde-haired human prince who becomes King and the greatest hero we've ever seen would be a nice way to tell us that this is what Arthas could've been.

Gay dude as a lead fits perfectly to this modern era of ours. So yes, he's the main.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I truly feel Anduin is going to become the face of WoW, like Tracer for Overwatch for example. He's the most realistic character, most well rounded and above all else he's actually interesting. It's like Blizz recognises that their most popular character is Arthas and wants to see how a "Arthas but if he had stayed good" (which is essentially who Anduin is) is received. I hope he's in WoW's spotlight for the rest of it's tenure
    I agree, although the other characters shape the story up quite nicely. As long as Blizzard keeps it down-to-earth, I'm happy.

I'd prefer that no character becomes the lead figure. If blizz decides to go that route in the end, all they'll get from me is an eye roll.

The main character is you.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He's actually become a lot more tolerable in Legion. Varian and Tirion were always my favourite characters so losing them both within 15mins of a new expac sucked ass hard, but Anduin seems to be taking a Role that feels like both of them together.

Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    The main character is you.
    While this is quite true, in the end the player character is a nobody a tool and their deeds can easily be attributed to npcs if necessary. Take onyxia for example, the players did not kill her.

can we pleaseee not have Anduin in the spotlight? there are so many other characters that deserve to be upfront as well, having Anduin as blonde Thrall or "what arthas could've been" forever would be dumb.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    For the Alliance side? Probably, your race is damned on that side if you aren't humans anyways.

Horde may help him with a quest or two if we band together once more to fight tentacle guy, but he isn't the main character of WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    While this is quite true, in the end the player character is a nobody a tool and their deeds can easily be attributed to npcs if necessary. Take onyxia for example, the players did not kill her.
    That's not really plausible anymore in game. Since WoD when we became a high ranking officer in our faction and especially with Legion making us class leader, it really makes no sense to say "the play is just this nobody...". I get that we can't appear in the books etc but in game? We can't be considered nobody, we've been made too central to the plot. This is one dissonant issue caused by taking us out of the adventurer role and making us part of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    That's not really plausible anymore in game. Since WoD when we became a high ranking officer in our faction and especially with Legion making us class leader, it really makes no sense to say "the play is just this nobody...". I get that we can't appear in the books etc but in game? We can't be considered nobody, we've been made too central to the plot. This is one dissonant issue caused by taking us out of the adventurer role and making us part of the story.
    What I mean the game might tell us we did something great, it is always possible for blizzard to attribute some of these deeds to someone else, despite us doing it, or even flat out ignoring what we did, as if it never happened. Even though we are high ranking and do tons of shit doesn't mean we did all of it canonically.

For example I wouldn't be surprised if blizz spins it so that canonically no Alliance hero helped the nightborne in the very beginning only joining the offensive of suramar city with Tyrande, or not at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    He's the main protagonist for the Humans and their vassals/servants/sidekicks.

He's the main antagonist for the Horde.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I mean the game might tell us we did something great, it is always possible for blizzard to attribute some of these deeds to someone else, despite us doing it, or even flat out ignoring what we did, as if it never happened. Even though we are high ranking and do tons of shit doesn't mean we did all of it canonically.

For example I wouldn't be surprised if blizz spins it so that canonically no Alliance hero helped the nightborne in the very beginning only joining the offensive of suramar city with Tyrande, or not at all.
    Could they? sure, it's their game. Would that really work? No. Directly contradicting the experience of players never makes for good fiction. I'm Alliance. I helped the Nightborne. If they told me that never happened, I'd just laugh.

Obviously, if they wrote a book about the events we were in they'd have to ascribe it to a champion who's named and thus not *us* but aside from that, in the game, it just makes no sense to say we are a nobody.

In many ways, I think they've painted themselves into a corner by taking us out of the shadows and making us prominent in the game.

On topic: I really think they should have a paired set of characters be the faces of WoW. Anduin on the Alliance side... sadly Sylvanas on Horde even though she's problematic given her first concern is the Forsaken. Speaking of painting themselves into corners, they really have done that with the warchief position by removing Thrall, Garrosh and Voljin in short order and not developing any other credible candidates for the position aside from Sylvanas
    Last edited by clevin; 2017-12-24 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    He's the main protagonist for the Humans and their vassals/servants/sidekicks.

He's the main antagonist for the Horde.
    you think anduin is the main antagonist for the horde? i doubt that any of the horde faction leaders take him seriously. even lor’th called him boy king.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    you think anduin is the main antagonist for the horde? i doubt that any of the horde faction leaders take him seriously. even lor’th called him boy king.
    We don't. But he's the leader of the Alliance so...

I don't think there is a 'main' protagonist in WoW. As for Anduin, I personally really dislike the character with all the 'goodness' he has. Just not my thing. The only attractive scenario I can think of is him becoming a villian as well and dying at our hands. Any other scenario where he is victorious and divine would be plain boring and cliche.

Besides Anduin's fate, I really think it is time we as Horde and Alliance lose in WoW. You cannot win every fuckin battle, and it is time some of the villians actually win and enslave us or something. Then we can rise from there again perhaps, but please can we just fkin lose and not be all so great?

Quote Originally Posted by stablon View Post
    I don't think there is a 'main' protagonist in WoW. As for Anduin, I personally really dislike the character with all the 'goodness' he has. Just not my thing. The only attractive scenario I can think of is him becoming a villian as well and dying at our hands. Any other scenario where he is victorious and divine would be plain boring and cliche.

Besides Anduin's fate, I really think it is time we as Horde and Alliance lose in WoW. You cannot win every fuckin battle, and it is time some of the villians actually win and enslave us or something. Then we can rise from there again perhaps, but please can we just fkin lose and not be all so great?
    We lost at the broken shore.

His plot armor is comparable with that of Sylvanas.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronan View Post
    His plot armor is comparable with that of Sylvanas.
    Velen and Anduin have the only actual plot armor in the game as of now, there was a comic showing them "many years from now'
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

I'd prefer that no character becomes the lead figure. If blizz decides to go that route in the end, all they'll get from me is an eye roll.
    This. We just had a whole patch rejecting the idea of chosen one, why repeat the whole thing with Anduin. Him being lead figure in fight against Void doesn't mean he'll be the lead figure all the time.