Thread: "Retail" label

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Angry "Retail" label

Why are so many people calling the current version of WoW "retail WoW" when the reality is Classic is going to still most likely going to be subjected to the $15 a month subscription fee AND subjected to having the current expansion purchased on your account? Blizzard isn't going to simply give away one of the selling points for an expansion to everyone. This whole "retail" label is when you compare a private server to the Blizzard servers. Calling it "current WoW" or "live WoW" makes absolutely more sense than "retail WoW".

who cares? the term works, and there's inertia behind it now. Why call anything anything?

Plus i think there's a halfway decent chance that classic wow will not be a subscription service.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Why are so many people calling the current version of WoW "retail WoW" when the reality is Classic is going to still most likely going to be subjected to the $15 a month subscription fee AND subjected to having the current expansion purchased on your account? Blizzard isn't going to simply give away one of the selling points for an expansion to everyone. This whole "retail" label is when you compare a private server to the Blizzard servers. Calling it "current WoW" or "live WoW" makes absolutely more sense than "retail WoW".
    Calling it "retail" simply started in the private server community and has stuck through the announcement of Classic. It's the easist way to specify the current version of the game compared to legacy versions.

Why exactly does the term "retail" bother you?

"Retail" has always meant "the most recent official version of WoW".

Not sure why you're sperging over semantics like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    It bothers me only because it leads to referring to the people that play it as "retailers".
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Calling it "current WoW" or "live WoW" makes absolutely more sense than "retail WoW".
    Isn't every server online "live"?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    It bothers me only because it leads to referring to the people that play it as "retailers".
    What would you label the distinction between someone that plays the currently available WoW through retail versus the players of the unavailable, classic version?

7+ Year Old Account
    I’ve been working under the assumption classic would be under same subscription as “retail”. Anything otherwise would be ridiculous.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Why would that bother you? I play retail and I want classic to be as close to Vanilla as possible. I don't care what people refer to me as on some video game forum, why do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    Calling it "retail" simply started in the private server community and has stuck through the announcement of Classic. It's the easist way to specify the current version of the game compared to legacy versions.
    Its more so that the TOXIC wow community is using it as a derogatory buzzword more than anything else... like "libtard" and "cuck" before it. It seems every few months there is a new toxic buzzword and this is the current one.

Quote Originally Posted by arboachg View Post
    What would you label the distinction between someone that plays the currently available WoW through retail versus the players of the unavailable, classic version?
    subs and possible nonsubs

Quote Originally Posted by rewhaha View Post

Plus i think there's a halfway decent chance that classic wow will not be a subscription service.
    And you base this on?
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Why would that bother you? I play retail and I want classic to be as close to Vanilla as possible. I don't care what people refer to me as on some video game forum, why do you?
    well the problem is the only way it can get that close is to time travel. Too much info on the internet makes it a lot easier.

[QUOTE=rewhaha;48443689

Plus i think there's a halfway decent chance that classic wow will not be a subscription service.[/QUOTE]

Thinking is clearly not a strong point of yours.

here'es what you got in regards to classic being free

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    And you base this on?
    the fact that we're receiving a product that has no content updates scheduled. the fact that other 'classic' products have no subscription fee associated with them.

and i know this counters a lot of reasoning I've seen on this forum, but sometimes companies take on initiatives for brand identity, rather than profits/losses.

the fact that many people play on private servers simply because they are free

There's a decent chance it will be a one-time box fee. Could be wrong, but we don't know

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Because it's inadvertantly going to be hypocritical...when classic servers are released for a monthly sub, people who play it will also be retailers, same as the rest who pay a monthly sub to play on x or y server...

In short, it's nonsensical, thus stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arboachg View Post

It bothers me because words have meanings:

Retailer: A person or business that sells goods to the public in relatively small quantities for use or consumption rather than for resale.
    Blizzard, in terms of the subscription, is the retailer. Subscribers are on the other end of that transaction.

"Subscriber" would be the term to use for people playing the retail version of the game.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

the fact that we're receiving a product that has no content updates scheduled. the fact that other 'classic' products have no subscription fee associated with them.

and i know this counters a lot of reasoning I've seen on this forum, but sometimes companies take on initiatives for brand identity, rather than profits/losses.

There's a decent chance it will be a one-time box fee. Could be wrong, but we don't know
    That still makes it retail. Retailing means selling goods for money. That's all.

One-time payment is exactly just that.

Better chance that Classic Wow will be "free" with your monthly subscription to "retail".