Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    MMO's went the way of the RTS games tbh.
    There isn't a fit between what young people of today want vs. what these type of games offer.

WoW classic is a big gamble, although I think it will see a lot of success in at least it's first year.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Nah. Classic wow is a gimmick, hopefully an entertaining one for thousands of people but a gimmick nonetheless. It'll never approach retail numbers and as such will not spark any kind of a renaissance. (IMO)
    Ily mmoc

Didn't Wildstar fail trying to capitalize on the idea that 'classic is so gud guise'?

I remember a bunch of vanilla purists of the day swapping to that game and glorifying it to no end because it tried really hard to be a dead game.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    I don't see why it would, most of the reason why Vanilla WoW is so wanted is because of nostalgia, and I say that as someone who wants Vanilla.
    You do realize that is just your opinion/reason right? There are plenty of other people with different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Natiry427 View Post
    Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwDyVKAhLqI

I was browsing reddit this morning when I stumbled across this video on r/mmorpg. The TL;DR is that Classic WoW's projected success will spark a new renaissance in the MMORPG genre, as game developers will be rushing to capitalize on the new audience.

In some ways, it makes sense. I'm sure that millions are going to play this game again, but what I'm not sure is if it will spark the innovation the guy is saying it will in the video.

What do you guys think? Do you think Classic WoW will catalyze a new era of MMORPG gaming?
    Who is that nobody from YouTube and why his opinion matter?

Deleted
    Lol no, classic WoW design is ancient stuff at this point and going back to it would immediately kill the already ailling MMORPG sector. Most people don't have the time Classic demands nor is the game very challenging compared to today's (and no, grinding for resist gear or spamming chat for enough people isn't hard, it is just incredibly tedious and time-consuming)

In my opinion, classic will show large numbers during first few weeks-month of release, due to people going after the nostalgia moments. However, after nostalgia and "new game rush" died down a bit, numbers will plummet. Personally, I do not expect classic online to be over 10k after a year, and then it will gradually fall to private server population levels. Assuming that Classic is not going to be free of course. If it is free (and there is a non zero chance of that happening), getting revenues mainly through adverts etc..., then maybe it will draw crowd from private servers to sustain itself somewhere in the region of 10-20k in the long run.

Deleted
    Can it not be? I don't want every other franchise having a disastrous mmo again that was totted as a wowkiller.

Times change. The new mmos are destiny and advent(The bioware one). Not a fan myself but there's no going back. Swtor and wow are the last of the old model.

Wow classic is a retro game. Like other retro and retro inspired games like Yooka-Laylee or shovel knight, it can be popular and profitable but it's not going to change the market.
    Last edited by mmoc8d6f890807; 2017-12-27 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apanonar View Post
    These people are getting more delusional by the day. No one's going to play an oldschool MMO in 2017. Evene classic will only be played by tens of thousands
    you mean in 2019 or 2020 or whenever the hell they will release it -_- 2017 is almost over

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaaz View Post
    In my opinion, classic will show large numbers during first few weeks-month of release, due to people going after the nostalgia moments. However, after nostalgia and "new game rush" died down a bit, numbers will plummet. Personally, I do not expect classic online to be over 10k after a year, and then it will gradually fall to private server population levels. Assuming that Classic is not going to be free of course. If it is free (and there is a non zero chance of that happening), getting revenues mainly through adverts etc..., then maybe it will draw crowd from private servers to sustain itself somewhere in the region of 10-20k in the long run.
    hm depends - i can see a whole lot people investing a lot more time if they will release it as f2p .

attachement to wow is strong - the problem will be monthly cost - without it people will invest much more hours (granted spend over much longer time frame) into it - longer sessions of vanilla playing inforced by the subscription will burn out people very fast - now without it people will without a doubt "come and go" quite often between playing other games.

blizzard can ofc bet on connecting it to retail sub but then those who will play retail will get bored with vanilla even faster and simply wont play it do to how outdated and shit compared to retail wow it is.

so going f2p would be withoout a doubt best option - they can even make good PR on it that they "release vanilla to the masses" since its what the masses desire.

10+ Year Old Account
    One can only hope this will be huge. I litterally can't wait for this. I am 30 years old and played games since I was 5. In 25 years I have NEVER been close to being this excited for any game ever!

And who knows, this might spawn TBC servers, WotLK servers, and even Cataclysm servers <3 if Cata servers becomes a thing, I uninstall all other games, I quit my job, leave my girlfriend and sell our dog. No time for anything but Cata servers then
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

Deleted
    Oldschool MMORPGs (which WOW hardly even is) have no future with the current generation of newschool gamers.

Deleted
    I was browsing reddit this morning when I stumbled across this video on r/mmorpg. The TL;DR is that Classic WoW's projected success will spark a new renaissance in the MMORPG genre, as game developers will be rushing to capitalize on the new audience.
    what new audience?
    there is and will not be a ndew audience that is a myst kept up by some dreamers. if that logic would be true the rerelease of sc would have sparked new rts games....

Deleted
    Classic wow is like historical medieval fencing.

It was awesome in it's time because it was the only thing available at the time. Some people want it back, so they create medieval fencing groups but it's only a small minority and it won't replace anything.

And for some people it's fun from time to time to pick up a sword and go spar with someone in a spare time. But some people will prefer shooting range and modern guns

How would regressing to a previous version of the game "spark a renaissance in the genre"? Everyone already copied WoW the first time it came out, are you saying it'd make everyone just give up on updating MMO's, convinced it would be better to just never add content ever out of fear of losing their old fans? I hope not!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    I don't see why it would, most of the reason why Vanilla WoW is so wanted is because of nostalgia, and I say that as someone who wants Vanilla.
    You are only fooling yourself.

Jeez, people are really setting themselves up for disappointments.

Yeah, sure...modern players absolutely long for a game where you have to spend 5 minutes reading and understanding a simple quest text, another 30 minutes doing the quest, getting absolutely no reward worth mentioning or spending half the night in tradechat when you want to run a dungeon.

Don't get me wrong: I played Vanilla. I loved it. I will certainly play it again. But to even THINK a younger audience could care for that kind of gameplay even in the slightest bit it beyond dellusional, imho.

In some ways, it makes sense. I'm sure that millions are going to play this game again, but what I'm not sure is if it will spark the innovation the guy is saying it will in the video.

What do you guys think? Do you think Classic WoW will catalyze a new era of MMORPG gaming?
    Yeah... WoW being the last major MMO to bring back the idea of classic servers... yep... revolution!

EverQuest hasn't been doing this for a decade, nope- sure haven't.

I do not believe Classic, implemented in anyway (Vanilla like / or not) will spark any kind of renaissance of the genre.

I don't think any title in the near future will pull it off either. History is pretty circular, but sometimes there events that standout and really only happen once as a singularity to success. WoW may have very well been it, with some respects due to EQ and other titles before it.

For now at least, the MMORPG genre inflated so much and saturated the gaming world that it might take two or three decades where this genre is in complete decline (to the point of obscurity and where no titles make it off the launch pad) before it will have the opportunity to make a booming comeback within the market.
    Last edited by evogsr; 2017-12-27 at 07:48 PM.

While I wouldn't deny that nostalgia plays a big part, I'd also say that, in a way, it is the presence of a different philosophy that will attract many players even if they don't stay for long.

WoW was both a blessing and a curse to the MMORPG genre. The level of polish, especially from patch 1.12 onwards, was basically unmatched, and many competitors new they couldn't (or wouldn't) put that much effort, so most tried to cash in as much as they could before fading away.

The problem with the MMORPG genre is that people are not keen on interacting as much as they used to, and the playerbase tends to be more contentious than a few years back. New games have failed to address that. I'd say that the best adaptation came from Guild Wars 2. Not having people compete for everything made for a less aggressive community overall. Striking a nice balance in that regard is paramount. However obvious it should be, players coming for Classic WoW will be AWARE that they will have to work with groups, that they will have to join guilds in order to get things done. People know it. That, in my opinion, is a massive change and it deviates a lot from what MMORPGs are nowadays, in that they are basic single player solo experiences where you can achieve most things on your own. That has been weakening the genre as a whole.

Because of this single player mentality, MMORPGs have become either too easy (some even more so than WoW Live, which throughout the levelling process and after your character reaches 110 is almost mindless in terms of difficulty) or impossible to 'complete the journey' or even reach max level. Even Guild Wars 2, however good main story may be, will force into a group in order to see the last bit of the story, and many players who never really had to group up and would do so only occasionally to take on a stronger champion or clear one of those shrines, still found it disappointing not being able to see the story unless they partied up.

Another issue that is commonly found in both Live WoW and almost every single other MMORPG on the market is that there is very little in the way of exploration and most quests are streamlined and scripted. That means you must follow a set path before trying out something new or taking on a new storyline. In a way, what is going on on the PTR might be part of the answer to such problems even if WoW quests after Cataclysms will always take the player from point A to point B and have lots of pop culture references to the point of being overdone while the challenge is not there, so there is very little to the journey itself. That makes our characters sort of... useless. New expansion? New alt! I am bored of my class mechanics, I create an alt! There is less attachment to a character than there used to be.

I think a bigger a challenge, with polished menus and stories and a clear goal combined with players being aware of what they are getting into, that might help developers understand that if they decide to create an MMORPG, they should be in it for the long run and that most players willing to support this genre must have some of their expectations met. Nostalgia surely plays a part, but there is a lot more than that.

I may be wrong, but that's how I see it now.