Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Owenm View Post
    He's trash. He's pretty much the amalgamation of everything bad in the WoW community into one, toxic person.
    QFT
    /10char
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    So I follow Asmongold on Twitch and I subscribed to him on YouTube because I think he has a lot of good insight into the community, basically because he is so entrenched into the community as a whole. I feel like he has a good grasp on whats going on, and he keeps himself informed and up-to-date on the game and how the community feels about the changes made to the game on a regular basis.

My question is this: Do you feel like Asmongold is a good representation of the WoW community as a whole? He may be a little brash, but I think most players relate to his brashness when it comes to everything about this game. He regularly puts out how-to videos to do achievements and such, and he voices his opinions on good and bad changes to the game, which I highly respect.

Not to mention that hes a funny guy. I think its kind of funny how he plays in his attic room, and usually is wearing a beanie and some type of holiday shirt / sweater.

I feel like he represents what the WoW community is as a whole (generally). I know there are many types of players, but he fits the mantra of the typical WoW player imo.
    I love Asmongold and his youtube videos. They are great!

But that said, he is an elitist and his opinions often only apply to 10 % of the player base. He disagrees with many of Blizzard's decisions which are made to satisfy the large part of the player base.

He does not represent the WoW community as a whole. He represents the players who want to put in extra work to achieve greatness. But this only complies to a small part of the community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    I love Asmongold and his youtube videos. They are great!

But that said, he is an elitist and his opinions often only apply to 10 % of the player base. He disagrees with many of Blizzard's decisions which are made to satisfy the large part of the player base.

He does not represent the WoW community as a whole. He represents the players who want to put in extra work to achieve greatness. But this only complies to a small part of the community.
    I'd say the majority of the community dislikes many of the "features" added to the game that has severely watered down the game. Queue tools specifically has been a determent to the game. He just points out those negative effects that such features have had on WoW over the years. Also, you must admit, the game was at a much higher sub rate WITHOUT many of those features. Just sayin'

10+ Year Old Account
    Who? /10chars
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

The WoW community is so divided that its nearly impossible for 1 individual to represent the community as a whole. Asmongold seems to hate a lot of decisions that current WoW is taking and wants Blizzard to take notes of what made WoW originally great in the first place.

Deleted
    The guy puts up an act, and even his followers know it because he's acknowlegded it over a dozen times.
    He understands that he has to act to gain the primary twitch audience, and he's said multiple times he does what people enjoy. If that means being an elitist, raging 'withered' primate, then he'll do it. If that means collecting battle pets and farming mounts, he'll do that. And it's working for him.
    He's by far the biggest WoW personality, and he keeps growing because unlike a Towelliee or Quin, he knows Mythic+ and Mythic raiding don't keep people's attention, and I don't blame them for not watching.

Is he a good representation of the WoW community? No, because what he does and wants doesn't reflect nearly enough of the community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iETHOSi View Post
    "Asmongold" the character, is indeed loud, obnoxious, self-entitled, etc. He puts on that act to draw people in and you can't deny, it's been highly successful for him. On the other hand though, Zach does have very good insight on the community and game as a whole, he's a very smart individual. Just check out his IRL YouTube channel to get a better feel for how he is outside of the persona he puts on, it's worth it.
    pretty much this. He deffo knows what hes doing, be it being an actor or a WoW player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every streamer/youtuber who is even remotely popular no longer has a clue how to be a regular player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Who would have thought Jaylock would follow loud mouthed douchebags on the internet and think they were an acceptable representation of the community.

Deleted
    So I follow Asmongold on Twitch and I subscribed to him on YouTube because I think he has a lot of good insight into the community, basically because he is so entrenched into the community as a whole. I feel like he has a good grasp on whats going on, and he keeps himself informed and up-to-date on the game and how the community feels about the changes made to the game on a regular basis.

My question is this: Do you feel like Asmongold is a good representation of the WoW community as a whole? He may be a little brash, but I think most players relate to his brashness when it comes to everything about this game. He regularly puts out how-to videos to do achievements and such, and he voices his opinions on good and bad changes to the game, which I highly respect.

Not to mention that hes a funny guy. I think its kind of funny how he plays in his attic room, and usually is wearing a beanie and some type of holiday shirt / sweater.

I feel like he represents what the WoW community is as a whole (generally). I know there are many types of players, but he fits the mantra of the typical WoW player imo.
    No, the majority of the community are people who don't actually engage at all in the community. They're just regular people, playing the game they like. They're never represented by anyone because you can't represent them, as doing so makes you not one of them.

Asmongold acts like he does because it appeals to his idiotic, teenage boy fanbase.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrytie View Post
    pretty much this. He deffo knows what hes doing, be it being an actor or a WoW player.
    Someone speaking with conviction doesn't mean they speak with insight or knowledge. Especially not when you've surrounded yourself with your own little bubble community that will keep parroting everything you say.

I'd say the majority of the community dislikes many of the "features" added to the game that has severely watered down the game. Queue tools specifically has been a determent to the game. He just points out those negative effects that such features have had on WoW over the years. Also, you must admit, the game was at a much higher sub rate WITHOUT many of those features. Just sayin'
    I don't personally like many of the features and agree with Asmongold many times. But I think it's wrong to say the majority of people feel the same way. Most people probably like the LFG tool, multi-loot etc. I believe the current sub rate are more influenced by the age of the game compared to the new features. I'm quite sure, that if vanilla never had changed and we had only vanilla from 2004-2018, the game would be dead by now.

Deleted
    Anyone above the age of 16 saying: "It's your boy, <name>" suits the stereotype of WoW-players

The representation of the bad part of wow community.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    You have to be blind if you think "Asmongold" is not just a character.
    He ia a great actor on his stream and ppl love it.
    Do not like him do not watch him. Simply as that.
    Purposefully acting like a tool still means you're a tool as far as I'm concerned.

Asmongold is the only person i know that actively does pet battles and also occasionally mythic raids. He plays all day but is against constant player progression (WF/TF/AP systems). He is the one casual to rule over all the casuals which is why he is by far the most popular streamer these days. The old Asmongold that made guides on how to ninja loot, raided mythic 5-6 times a week and was the #1 in achievement points US had very limited appeal. The Asmongold that spends all day doing world quests/old raids/mount farming has a much wider appeal since it is what the majority of wow players do all day. So yes he is the best representation of the general wow community that is currently streaming.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Purposefully acting like a tool still means you're a tool as far as I'm concerned.
    Then you don't know what acting is...

I think he's a funny and intelligent guy who is deeply entrenched in a WoW lifestyle, he's not representitive of the community because he sits on a particular side of many fences that divide the community. He's usually pretty rational in his thought processes, but his conclusions or leanings naturally trigger the opposing sides given that he can deliver things in a tongue-in-cheek "poke fun" way.

I've not seen his streams though, only his videos. A lot of his videos where he is being more serious it's clear that he has a very solid head on his shoulders and that he considers a lot of angles and views in his approach, which is usually rational and logical rather than emotional. When he does address things emotionally he will usually add some form of obvious humour/sarcasm to the delivery to add some comic relief, for example if he's mad at something Blizzard has done with the game.

It's not surprising why he is popular, I definitely think people are only seeing half the story with him though.. He's not an Athene.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

No but it would be funny to hear what he has to say about a person such as yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Who? /10chars
    Think he is the guy that makes vids while cosplaying as a Withered.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Asmongold plays an entertaining character on stream and I admire that he bought a house for his parents. But he found what he's good at and that's good for him.

He has a second channel where he infrequently posts 'normal' videos and he's less of an ass there.

In terms of cleanliness, I wish that he didn't represent the WoW community so well.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it