Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I've always had a problem with it since playing through WC3. The problem with them is that they would never go Horde, so the Alliance is their closest bet.

Though, I've always had a sort of alternate history theory around A Nelf uprising after WC3 that deposes Tyrande and Malfurion as failed fascists that could barely protect their sacred homelands despite 10,000 years of those two imbeciles saying there are only 2 kinds of 'good magic'. The newly formed free Night Elves create an Elven coalition between Nelves, Belves and Forsaken and essentially adding a third faction. (Nelves, Belves, Forsaken in the Elven Empire, Humans, Dwarves and Gnomes in the Alliance and Orcs, Tauren and Trolls in the Horde.) The reason the Forsaken fits in with the Elven Empire is mostly due to the huge population of High Elves turned in WC3 and Sylvanas, but that's more of a technicality of the time than a reality now.

A man can dream, though.
    Last edited by Blamblam41; 2017-12-29 at 03:12 PM.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    lmao nice goin' tyrande. you allied with the humans when you should've stayed neutral or gone horde and what did you get? your treehouse burning.

if night elves were horde then they would be able to traverse all of kalimdor without issue, hump trees with the tauren and form some aggreement with the orcs. there honestly isn't a single reason, not one, that night elves are better off on the alliance than the horde.
    Why would they ally with a bunch of savages?
    Working on my next ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Same thing goes for other races: Forsaken, draenei, blood elves, worgen, goblins, pandaren... they don't really have that much in common with their faction, but they're closer to it than the opposite one.
    Night elves and Forsaken are obviously ment to mirror one another in the classic setting. Do we know how the talks about each of them joining the respective factions went? Because I'm thinking how Sylvanas was talking with Thrall about joining the Horde and I see no reason how that would have come to be the case.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingoism View Post
    Why would they ally with a bunch of savages?
    They already did ally with a bunch of savages. The humans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Joining up with the orcs that they fought against until Archie came to Azeroth would make little sense. Just as little sense as 90% of the Warcraft-lore. Was easier back in the day with Human vs Orcs.

Lots of the story in WC3 was made by WoW in mind. Thats why some races turned allegiances, and some races like Night Elves suddenly grouped up with gnomes. Zero sense. Can you be a lesser race than gnomes?(or goblins)
    Yeah, you can be a lowly, filthy elf! >:C

#GNOME4LIFE!
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Considering what the orcs did to the Nelves in WC3 it makes no fucking sense that they would join the horde lmao. Do some research before you say stupid shit like this god damn.
    Ily mmoc

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Because they need strong humans to protect them.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Night elves and Forsaken are obviously ment to mirror one another in the classic setting. Do we know how the talks about each of them joining the respective factions went? Because I'm thinking how Sylvanas was talking with Thrall about joining the Horde and I see no reason how that would have come to be the case.
    We may actually get a glimpse of that in Chronicles 3, as it's something they essentially skipped from Warcraft 3 to WoW.

I imagine it goes along the lines of "if we don't unite against this common enemy, we'll die".

I can't see how that doesn't apply to Ragnaros, the Old Gods or the Scourge, as they chose to keep their war going during WoW (and now in BfA...), but I guess it's in human (and by extent, every fantasy race) nature to hold grudges, but Warcraft is very inconsistent about that. Some minor offense (Garithros) is somehow relevant after decades, but bigger events (Theramore) are easily forgotten/forgiven.

Suspense your disbelief and enjoy the ride, I guess.

7+ Year Old Account
    because the orcs kept destroying night elf lands and killed cenarius.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    The same way undead and blood elves are Horde and the same way the draenei are Alliance. Gameplay repurposing raped the story.

OP seems to be one of the more fervent whatever-is-Alliance haters judging by the amount of threads he is posting and their context. Asking why the night elves are Alliance and then talking about how much better they'd be off if they were Horde is just illogical at best.
    Night Elves went Alliance because the Horde, or rather the orcs, immediately resumed their lumber operations in Ashenvale after WC3. And they'd lost their immortality plus the fact that they had a low birth rate (due to once being immortal) and the numbers they'd lost against the Legion.

Draenei are Alliance because, 1)they shared the belief in the Light and 2)the orcs kinda almost wiped them out. Puts a damper on relations when you try to eradicate an entire race.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Quote Originally Posted by Micka Steelspark View Post
    Yeah, you can be a lowly, filthy elf! >:C

#GNOME4LIFE!
    Hehe, Gnomes ftw!

7+ Year Old Account
    So geography is your logic? Ok...

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    lmao nice goin' tyrande. you allied with the humans when you should've stayed neutral or gone horde and what did you get? your treehouse burning.

if night elves were horde then they would be able to traverse all of kalimdor without issue, hump trees with the tauren and form some aggreement with the orcs. there honestly isn't a single reason, not one, that night elves are better off on the alliance than the horde.
    Too much stupid to even bother with logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    I've always had a problem with it since playing through WC3. The problem with them is that they would never go Horde, so the Alliance is their closest bet.

Though, I've always had a sort of alternate history theory around A Nelf uprising after WC3 that deposes Tyrande and Malfurion as failed fascists that could barely protect their sacred homelands despite 10,000 years of those two imbeciles saying there are only 2 kinds of 'good magic'. The newly formed free Night Elves create an Elven coalition between Nelves, Belves and Forsaken and essentially adding a third faction. (Nelves, Belves, Forsaken in the Elven Empire, Humans, Dwarves and Gnomes in the Alliance and Orcs, Tauren and Trolls in the Horde.) The reason the Forsaken fits in with the Elven Empire is mostly due to the huge population of High Elves turned in WC3 and Sylvanas, but that's more of a technicality of the time than a reality now.

A man can dream, though.
    This is actually a cool thought. I don't know about the forsaken part now, but I like the idea lol

For the same reason the Ren'dorei are members of the Alliance.

The short-sighted and foolish Horde forced their hand.

They wouldn't join the Horde either. Why are Tauren and Goblins in the Horde? They don't fit the drug addict persona of the other races. Orc's addicted to Fel, Blood Elf's addicted to arcane energy, and the Forsaken (specifically Sylvanas) addicted to plot armor. Tauren are noble warriors with respect of the land, Goblin's wouldn't realistically care about the Horde either way, they would be neutral. It really doesn't fit with dishonorable drug addict theme to have those two races in the Horde, yet there they are.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I'm astounded at the amount of people that completely ignore the devastation Orcs brought to the Night Elves' sacred forest of Ashenvale, as well as killing Cenarius.
    I find it odd that people ignore the fact Jaina's Alliance was also harvesting Ashenvale, and fought the Night Elves until Medivh put a stop to it. Sure, the Orcs did a lot more than Jaina's Alliance, both in terms of how much they harvested and killing Cenarius but there was still damage to hold against the Alliance. What I personally look at is the fact that after the Battle for Mount Hyjal there would likely be discussions between the three groups as to what land would be ceded to Horde and Jaina's Alliance. Thrall in particular likely would be very accommodating in order to try and patch up the bad blood between the three groups. So assuming there was no more outright conflict, as Thrall was very opposed to it, it's likely that the Night Elves wouldn't choose to join a faction. And if they did they'd probably not choose the one that is so far away they can offer no support in a pinch.

Outside of that the Horde and the Night Elves actually share a lot culturally, they're both warrior cultures, both revere nature, both harbor a strong distrust of arcane and fel magic and a common hatred of demons. In the real world cultural connections are the strongest source of alliances regardless of the amount of war between the two groups, case in point the US' biggest allies are all places that the US has previously been at war with, namely the UK, Canada, Germany and Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Talsar View Post
    Considering what the orcs did to the Nelves in WC3 it makes no fucking sense that they would join the horde lmao. Do some research before you say stupid shit like this god damn.
    all you do on these forums is say stupid shit and you wanna come after me? noice

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellrime View Post
    They wouldn't join the Horde either. Why are Tauren and Goblins in the Horde? They don't fit the drug addict persona of the other races. Orc's addicted to Fel, Blood Elf's addicted to arcane energy, and the Forsaken (specifically Sylvanas) addicted to plot armor. Tauren are noble warriors with respect of the land, Goblin's wouldn't realistically care about the Horde either way, they would be neutral. It really doesn't fit with dishonorable drug addict theme to have those two races in the Horde, yet there they are.
    anduin and velen are the only characters in the game with true plot armor because we know they’re alive and kicking many years into the future

Quote Originally Posted by Nirathiel View Post
    What reason would they have to join the faction with the same race that desecrated Ashenvale and killed Cenarius?
    The Horde as a faction did neither of those. The corrupted orcs did.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Absolutely correct. But back in Vanilla, Blizz went a bit overboard with giving all the "pretty" races to the Alliance, even if it didn't (and still doesn't) make any sense lorewise. NEs have a lot more in common with Taurens and Orcs than with Dwarves or Gnomes.
    It did always seem strange to me that they make a point of mentioning a few times the tauren joined the horde to help fight the dwarves that were ripping apart nature all around them. Yet tauren and night elves are in many ways copies of the other in their defense of the planet and connection to it.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."