10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up *Optional* Paid Content in a Sub Based Game (like WoW)... Why is this a problem?

I just had to get this off my chest because it's extremely annoying to see a flurry of people who blast companies (specifically Blizzard) and or players for either providing *optional* content for $$$ (Blizzard), or purchasing *optional* content for $$$ (Players).

WoW is a sub based game. Yes we all get that. But that doesn't mean that Blizzard can't still offer additional *GASP* OPTIONAL content for a few real dollars.

Even games like SWTOR, RIFT, FFXIV, have subscription models, and at the same time, you can be subbed to the game AND *GASP* Pay for optional digital goods and services!

Please. Help me understand the point of view that providing optional goods and services in a sub based game is somehow "unethical" "immoral" "greedy" or any other negative word ive seen to describe the practice.

All companies are going the way of paid DLC, and thankfully, games like WoW only offer it as optional services and goods. Imo, until Blizzard starts to require you to buy mounts, and pets, and other stuff from their shop alongside your sub, thats when it becomes greedy / unethical.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Did you really just copy and paste your response for the paid allied race thread and make a new one?
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

Quote Originally Posted by Putin-Chan View Post
    Did you really just copy and paste your response for the paid allied race thread and make a new one?
    I think he did.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
    I think he did.
    That's low quality, even for Jaylock.
    You still might drop it

If WoW was a true freemium or a free 2 play hybrid I wouldn't have a problem for paid optional content. But Blizz still clings to a buy 2 play and and sub 2 play model so that ends that argument for paid optional content right there. Blizz already double dips with buy 2 play and sub 2 play so a third dip with DLC is a no no in my book.

Just for the record, I don't think anyone is seriously complaining about WoW selling 'cosmetic' effects. Those are completely optional and have no impact on the game itself.

If anything, I'd like to see those cosmetic things (mounts, hats, pets) have a timer on them being Soulbound and able to be sold on the AH for gold.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    If WoW was a true freemium or a free 2 play hybrid I wouldn't have a problem for paid optional content. But Blizz still clings to a buy 2 play and and sub 2 play model so that ends that argument for paid optional content right there. Blizz already double dips with buy 2 play and sub 2 play so a third dip with DLC is a no no in my book.
    yeah, but it's OPTIONALtm

Who cares if we lose a mount reward for a raid or a reputation, who cares if some scrub who plays for 1 hour a month is riding the final boss' mount because he spent $25, it's optional so we have no right to complain.

/s
    Last edited by Putin-Chan; 2017-12-29 at 07:50 PM.
    You still might drop it

you dont get 8k post by being original

Imagine I run a burgerjoint. I sell you a hamburger, super juicy and delicious between a nicely one sided roasted bun for x ammount of currency.

Now I remove the bun, I sell you just the meat, but for the same price. You can buy the bun, but it costs you extra. The bun is optional, but still a really nice thing to have.

Thats the problem with the optional argument. Its optional, but it makes for some nice extra things, like not burning your hands when you grab the meat.

Deleted
    That's low quality, even for Jaylock.
    Not really, this is his normal MO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drynix View Post
    Imagine I run a burgerjoint. I sell you a hamburger, super juicy and delicious between a nicely one sided roasted bun for x ammount of currency.

Now I remove the bun, I sell you just the meat, but for the same price. You can buy the bun, but it costs you extra. The bun is optional, but still a really nice thing to have.

Thats the problem with the optional argument. Its optional, but it makes for some nice extra things, like not burning your hands when you grab the meat.
    Bad analogy. The sub is the full burger. The optional content is the fries, the milkshake, the pop. The burger is great on it's own, the fries are also good, but you need to pay extra for them if you want them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    There is a thread ongoing concerning this. Closing.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead