Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf View Post
    when did pranks stop being funny? like at no point would this be considered funny. even when one of my jerk friends says "hey lets prank call the cops and have em show up at bubbas house huahua" id be like nah.

go back to TPing and stealing mailboxes. those things are fun
    This isn't a prank. This is what happens when people get overly emotional online. This is a symptom of a massive problem right now. People who aren't confrontational irl get really hostile online. They're letting it out. And I believe it's why the US is where it's at politically too. Overly emotional people who feel like they have to win the argument regardless of the cost. It's so petty and pathetic. Social media and the internet are bringing the absolute worst out in humanity. And it's only going to get worse. Human beings just aren't responsible enough to be anonymous and online.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Bubba will have a couple of new buttholes to stretch.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    I would tell his family all day long he was killed by idiots because a cop violated his civil rights.
    The cop is a separate matter. There are already laws and procedures in place for law enforcement that fires upon an unarmed individual. Do you believe the one who sent in the fake threat is not in some way liable?

Would the victim still be alive if the little gob of wasted sperm hadn't given his address as a fake target? Yes

Therefore, the little shit is as much at fault as the overeager trigger-happy cop.

Anyone who thinks this is solely on the cop is a prime example of someone who'll never accept responsibility for his own shit.
    "That shit went down faster than a gold digger on a dying rich dude".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Negligent actions putting someone in a situation they would not have been in otherwise resulting in them being killed falls under involuntary. Not premediated, no malice, no direct intention for the other person to be killed, but someone was killed and someone was responsible for that.

Note that that also covers that someone else gave him the wrong information to work with. Involuntary manslaughter skims over someone else feeding him wrong info because negligence covers both depending on some random on the internet giving him an address and the call itself.
    I don't believe it's involuntary. It's like putting 1 bullet in a revolver and forcing someone to pull the trigger. The person may believe there's only a small chance it'll land where the bullet will end up in the chamber, but they still know it's a dangerous situation. This idiot has done this many times and he has to believe there is always a chance things will go south in a high stress, intense situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Nothing in that false report was super dangerous.

They are not responsible for the death. Only one person - the one who actually made the false report can be partially blamed with a stretch. The whole murder is cop's fault.
    What the fuck are you talking about? If you're the one who instigated the dangerous situation and something happened because of that, like someone's death, you are to blame for it.

In Germany this would easily get you jail time for multiple offenses, just from falsely and maliciously claiming a kidnapping and wrongfully using police forces. With the lethal consequence this is quite set in stone.

I am not sure how the US would handle this any different given the US hands out harder punishments on average.

And if you really think the SWATer isn't part responsible for this guys death you're just dense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Looks like Bubba will have a couple of new buttholes to stretch.
    Bubba should make them tweet like a bird when he's ramming their asses.

Charge the guy that called it in and suspend and retrain the officers involved in shooting the guy. I'm tired of hearing about cops being too pussified to assess the situation or being too gung go to pull a trigger. Some of the blame should fall on them.

Why are people acting so surprised people theorized this would happen years ago.
    Mistweaver Monk |
    "Those who lead through fear only stay in power while those they govern lack courage." ~ Lorewalker Cho

Quote Originally Posted by Buildapanda View Post
    Why are people acting so surprised people theorized this would happen years ago.
    my only surprise is that it took this long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    I don't believe it's involuntary. It's like putting 1 bullet in a revolver and forcing someone to pull the trigger. The person may believe there's only a small chance it'll land where the bullet will end up in the chamber, but they still know it's a dangerous situation. This idiot has done this many times and he has to believe there is always a chance things will go south in a high stress, intense situation.
    For it to be voluntary, there has to be a reasonable expectation that the actions would result in a death. Swatting has been going on for... what, a decade or so, around that area? And the vast majority have resulted in property damage, emotional distress, etc? Any decent DA is going to be able to quash a voluntary because in order to go from 8 years to 15 years you have to demonstrate an intent to kill. Not possibility to kill, but actually kill. This is why drunk drivers are charged with involuntary... because even though they put this loaded gun into bear, ie the car, their crime was negligence towards the safety of others and putting others in a situation that resulted in a death, not purposefully and intentionally killing somebody else.

The only reason to bring charges for 2nd degree murder would be to push for a harder plea bargain or compromise down to manslaughter.

The did not murder anyone
    You could argue that they killed someone by proxy. Simply because a SWAT call always involves a certain risk. And they took that risk. They are at least partially responsible.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The did not murder anyone
    No phone call. No death. He is absolutely responsible for the mans death. That isn't even up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    No phone call. No death. He is absolutely responsible for the mans death. That isn't even up for debate.
    I'm actually torn. He sort of is responsible, but all he technically did was prank-call the police. That an officer then kills a civilian that wasn't a threat is sort of on that officer.

On the other hand, it wouldn't have happened at all like you said, if he hadn't made the call. But I'm actually not sure I would charge the guy for murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The murderer is the cop.
    Maybe, Maybe he was acting on other information from his superiors.

Regardless, both individuals who started this should be facing life sentences for their stupidity

The people who made the call were morons. So was the cop. Let them all rot, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The murderer is the cop.
    Then charge both idiots with accessory to murder.

The cop discharging his weapon should face charges (depending & based on the full details of what happen) and the two idiots should at lease get accessory to murder if not more.

Make a example out of them that swatting is not ok.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-12-30 at 12:54 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Three still applies as well. He didn't need to have intent for someone to die as he still made the decision to make the call that brought the police. If two people rob a store and one shoots and kills someone the other person may not have had the intent to kill someone as his intent was to rob, but he still gets charged with the murder. This isn't any different.
    I find it entirely different given that the person who actually killed the innocent man was supposedly a well trained police officer not some thug street robber. Since swatting became a thing, there have been only two reported deaths, this one and one from 2015 where someone made false accusations regarding a bomb in a school. That guy only died AFTER firing on a police officer, not right away before anyone could say anything. Meaning there's hardly a precedent for death to be an inevitability from a swatting, therefore intent to kill is not there.

Can someone tell me where this comes from?

"When police cannot handle it, they call SWAT.
    When SWAT cannot handle, they call us."

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    Interviews with the family say the man saw the police lights and heard commotion, so he went to the door and as he opened it the cop shot him.

No warning, no chance. He had no weapons and was not involved with any games.

The rest of the family was made to exit the home with their hands up, stepping over the body of their dying family member. They were then taken individually to the police station and grilled.
    If shit like that happens, the whole system is broken as fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    The cop is a separate matter. There are already laws and procedures in place for law enforcement that fires upon an unarmed individual. Do you believe the one who sent in the fake threat is not in some way liable?
    I heard the US has a great track record of actually following through on those.