Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    I'm actually torn. He sort of is responsible, but all he technically did was prank-call the police. That an officer then kills a civilian that wasn't a threat is sort of on that officer.

On the other hand, it wouldn't have happened at all like you said, if he hadn't made the call. But I'm actually not sure I would charge the guy for murder.
    No, he "technically" committed involuntary manslaughter and will receive at least a couple years in prison due to it.

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/kansas-...ghter-law.html

Can someone please explain to me how Swating happens? How do they have the real name and address? In 22 years of online gaming maybe 2 people have my real name and nobody has my address.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Can someone please explain to me how Swating happens? How do they have the real name and address? In 22 years of online gaming maybe 2 people have my real name and nobody has my address.
    The guy gave a fake adress to the guy who swatted somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    In 22 years of online gaming maybe 2 people have my real name and nobody has my address.
    That is what you think.
    A hacker can easily track your IP address and know who you are.

Remember Blizzard's Real ID?
    It forces people to reveal their real life name and address.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The murderer is the cop.
    The people calling in the fake police report are just as much to blame. When you do that, the cops that show up are ready for a gunfight because that is what the dispatcher relayed to them. You have hindsight and know there was no harm, the officer putting his life on the line to show up doesn't.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    This SWAuTistic person and the player who engaged him to do the swatting should both be convicted of manslaughter. The other player who gave the fake address should be charged with some form of criminal negligence. Police officer should face severe repercussions also, you don't shoot someone for opening a door while unarmed get a fucking grip.

An example needs to be made of all parties involved. It's time the community stops thinking this is a "funny prank brah!" and gets a fucking reality check. An innocent man is dead.
    Ily mmoc

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    The people calling in the fake police report are just as much to blame. When you do that, the cops that show up are ready for a gunfight because that is what the dispatcher relayed to them. You have hindsight and know there was no harm, the officer putting his life on the line to show up doesn't.
    Like shooting random people coming out of a house?
    The cop shares just as much blame, if not more, than the swatter.

IIRC, this man's death as the result of swatting isn't the first one, it won't be the last one either.

And I don't think anything will happen to swatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Talsar View Post
    An example needs to be made of all parties involved. It's time the community stops thinking this is a "funny prank brah!" and gets a fucking reality check. An innocent man is dead.
    Nothing will change. People will keep doing it.
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-12-30 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The did not murder anyone
    Not directly, but their actions are definitely an proximate cause to the mans death. At the very least this is manslaughter, but maybe even murder 2. They would be very much deserving of such charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Like shooting random people coming out of a house?
    The cop shares just as much blame, if not more, than the swatter.
    You don't understand the situation obviously. The cops go into that situation on HIGH ALERT and ready for a gunfight, because that is what is relayed to them...

Obviously no one should get shot for opening a door, but it's not that clear cut.

The murderer is the cop, but the trolls also need to face justice.

If this cop losses his job, my company will be glad to hire him.

I work for United Airline

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    IIRC, this man's death as the result of swatting isn't the first one, it won't be the last one either.

And I don't think anything will happen to swatter.

Nothing will change. People will keep doing it.
    So long as it continues unpunished it will continue to happen. People might not change after the first conviction, maybe not the second or third either, but that's no reason not to continue to put people like this behind bars. I know it takes more than one person being charged to change a community, but you have to start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Noone was a murderer because there was no premeditated intent to kill. There was criminal negligence and manslaughter however.
    Ily mmoc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    I'm actually torn. He sort of is responsible, but all he technically did was prank-call the police. That an officer then kills a civilian that wasn't a threat is sort of on that officer.

On the other hand, it wouldn't have happened at all like you said, if he hadn't made the call. But I'm actually not sure I would charge the guy for murder.
    It's not a prank. He knew police would be sent. Swatting is deadly serious.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    You don't understand the situation obviously. The cops go into that situation on HIGH ALERT and ready for a gunfight, because that is what is relayed to them...

Obviously no one should get shot for opening a door, but it's not that clear cut.
    Yes, they're on high alert.

That still doesn't justify them shooting someone at the first sign of them, and this is a pretty much perfect example of why (especially since police/SWAT quite regularly get the address wrong. Seriously, read up on it, it's pretty heartbreaking). Police need to give people a chance to respond/surrender.

We still need to see the police report, but I'd still take it with a grain of salt unless there's some body cam footage that conclusively shows the man who was shot was the aggressor. Given the entire situation it really wouldn't surprise me at all to see the report say something like "we saw them reach for a gun/saw a gun/etc" when they could just have easily been trying to raise their hands/holding a cellphone or something similar.

This is a fucked up situation. The guy who made the call and the guy who requested the call absolutely need to be charged. The guy who fed the fake address should be charged, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they're let off the hook/are able to somehow plead down to a slap on the wrist. The officers involved definitely need to be placed on leave until this is sorted out and any investigation into the shooting needs to be done very carefully and transparently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    The video is out. The cop was wrong. But the information sent was long. This troll was on the phone with them for 20 minutes or so. He was saying he beat the shit out of his dad. Then a few minutes later he killed him. Then a few minutes later said he was going to kill everyone else in the house. Then said he was pouring gas all over the place and going to set them all on fire. When the cops came, the guy raised his hands and came out on the porch. He then moved his hands by his waist. That's when they shot him. Now. The cop was absolutely wrong. But they were being fed a stream of intense shit by the troll making the situation seem dire.

The cop needs to face justice. But this troll really set this thing up. It wasn't a 30 second phone call saying he had hostages. He really played this thing up.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    The video is out. The cop was wrong. But the information sent was long. This troll was on the phone with them for 20 minutes or so. He was saying he beat the shit out of his dad. Then a few minutes later he killed him. Then a few minutes later said he was going to kill everyone else in the house. Then said he was pouring gas all over the place and going to set them all on fire. When the cops came, the guy raised his hands and came out on the porch. He then moved his hands by his waist. That's when they shot him. Now. The cop was absolutely wrong. But they were being fed a stream of intense shit by the troll making the situation seem dire.

The cop needs to face justice. But this troll really set this thing up. It wasn't a 30 second phone call saying he had hostages. He really played this thing up.
    TBF, that sounds like a very elaborate prank. The cost is high, but it's still a prank.

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    That still doesn't justify them shooting someone at the first sign of them, and this is a pretty much perfect example of why (especially since police/SWAT quite regularly get the address wrong. Seriously, read up on it, it's pretty heartbreaking). Police need to give people a chance to respond/surrender.
    Can you show the video where they shot him at first sight?

Because pretty much every actual news story (unlike the garble the OP linked) says the man came to the door, officers told him to put his hands up, he did, then he lowered his hands to his waist, and then was shot once. You can also watch the police statement here. Maybe people should wait until the evidence is reviewed before deciding there was reasonable cause.

The 911 report the team received was:
    "A man said his father had been shot in the head. He said he was holding his mother and a sibling at gunpoint. The caller, speaking with relative calm, said he poured gasoline inside the home "and I might just set it on fire."

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    The officer had duty to save the hostages. You don't save hostages by letting the alleged hostage taker, who already murdered one of them, back to the hostages.
    Oh, so you save hostages by executing them before even checking who are you shooting at? Is that how they teach logic on that side of Earth nowadays?
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    TBF, that sounds like a very elaborate prank. The cost is high, but it's still a prank.
    dont know man... when you send Swat to someones place saying hes killing ppl and going Rambo mode on everyone.... thats a realy fucked up prank... that screams someone going to die right away... (at least to me)