Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJewishMerp View Post
    Windwalker main here. There are a lot of WW alts, but I agree that dedicated mains are rare. Not sure why, it's an incredibly engaging spec imo, and in my view the most challenging to play to their highest potential.

JOIN US FRIENDS, WE KICK THINGS WITH OUR FEET!
    I main WW and i get told at least 3 times a week that i "should reroll to [insert more common class/spec here]". I love my WW but a lot of people seem to assume that less common = shit tier spec. But i just keep on kicking.
    Ily mmoc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Feral druid because of unforgiving rotation
    Feral Druid is incredibly forgiving and easy now.

Hell, since Antorus came out, almost every pug Druid I've seen has been Resto or Feral.

Quote Originally Posted by Balefulxd View Post
    DPS Wise:
    Survival: hard spec + ranged class being melee on a non melee friendly enviroment.
    Outlaw: Slot machine.
    Demon: Niche that doesn't fit on any fight right now and heavily outshined by aff.
    Arcane: Requires no movement, which is not allowed in this raid.
    Destro: See demon.

Healer Wise:
    Disc: Hard to play because it requires a lot of fight knowledge

Tank wise:
    Vengeance: They are simply weak compared to other options. Very good on m+ tho.
    Survival really isn't a hard spec.

https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/surviv...owns-abilities

Please tell me anything about that rotation that is "hard".

Quote Originally Posted by Talsar View Post
    I main WW and i get told at least 3 times a week that i "should reroll to [insert more common class/spec here]". I love my WW but a lot of people seem to assume that less common = shit tier spec. But i just keep on kicking.
    Same here, rerolled to WW after SV felt too maintenance heavy, and Havoc felt too braindead. It's right there when it comes to mixing fun with complexity. The mechanic of never using the same attack twice is simple but adds a lot of thought to the gameplay sometimes. Probably not as common since people rarely main Monks overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post

The ingredients don't make it seem "hard", but the reason the spec is challenging is the existance of global cooldown. The way it seems you have 2 rotations in the spec: Mongoose Bite, which is the line of play that makes you spam as many of those attacks as possible, and maintenance one, which is your dots (Lacerate, Explosive, Caltrops, Serpent Sting) and stacks Mok'Nathal. Then you add the elements like Flanking Strike and Spitting Cobra to the mix which you kind of should use on CD based on how strong they are and you have an incredibly busy spec that kind of wants you to complete a lot of relatively simple tasks in a short amount of time.

Then there are moments like going full "nuke" with all CDs up, spamming Mongoose Bite like a maniac and get as many in as possible - but somehow, at the same time, all your short duration buffs and debuffs start falling off. Each GCD you use on maintaining one of those is a potential GCD you could use to hit the guy with MB with the might of a galaxy, so each time you need to make a quick decision on what to do to do best dps. It IS pretty complex that way, just not in a fun way for me.

And of course theres the argument of using different talent setup, the one with less maintenance abilities, but such setup is pretty suboptimal for SV. Might as well just say that you don't want to use Lacerate at all and are fine with the DPS loss.
    Last edited by Okacz; 2017-12-30 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talsar View Post
    Joke's on them, given that WW is one of the best melee specs in Antorus, and by a fair margin even.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJewishMerp View Post
    Windwalker main here. There are a lot of WW alts, but I agree that dedicated mains are rare. Not sure why, it's an incredibly engaging spec imo, and in my view the most challenging to play to their highest potential.

JOIN US FRIENDS, WE KICK THINGS WITH OUR FEET!
    I think a lot of the reason WW is so rare is a) historically the spec has been seen as "bad" even though they're the top DPS by a long shot currently and b) people are bad at not hitting the same ability twice and thus significantly gimp their damage. They can't think a couple GCD's ahead.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Because having 1 melee spec really isn't the end of the world and it creates a bit of variety. I swear I remember reading a load of Hunter forums where they were asking for a melee spec.

You still have 2 powerful and easy to play specs.

There are people playing Survival even if it is a low amount. It caters to them while still offering ranged opportunities for the people who want it.

- - - Updated - - -

Uhm have you seen how much an SV can burst for? They are disgusting in PvP.

Exhiliration is plenty.
    Variety?

Without including hunter itself aren't there like 12 Melee Specs and 9 Ranged?

Hell do the math and the survival change tilted it so there is less variety for ranged then Melee.

You're fine to enjoy it, but don't disagree with people who enjoyed the old survival with that weak argument.
    Last edited by Ravex; 2017-12-30 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    Variety?

Without including hunter itself aren't there like 12 Melee Specs and 9 Ranged?

Hell do the math and the survival change tilted it so there is less variety for ranged then Melee.
    Meant the class in general. Also 11 ranged specs and 13 Melee.

Also 13-11 really isn't that bad an offset. Just make the next Hero Class a ranged for once instead of a damn Melee.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-12-30 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellerain View Post
    Surv hunter because changing a ranged spec to melee was a dumb idea.
    Feral druid because it's a niche spec for people who appreciate the finest points of WotLK gameplay such as dot snapshotting.

I've seen a lot less rogues than usual lately not sure why. Did they all reroll DH or something?
    As someone who mained rogue since beginning of TBC and mained resto shaman this expac, it's because they kinda shat on rogue this expansion. They experimented with Outlaw and there is so much wrong with the spec that needs fixing and they just band-aid it with Tier gear. Maybe in BFA they will make it better now that they have had time to see what works and what doesnt. Sub kinda morphed into a "edy-emo-kid SYMBOOLZZZ OFFF DEF" shit fest. And Assassination is the only spec really that kept its identity intact while having some decent stuff added to it. Also, I would venture to say that a lot of non-rogue-fotm rerollers ( when where they that last time lul ) like my self who have played for a long time, hate the new Shadow Dance charge system and the fact that TWO FUCKING SPECS have lost poisons that have been present since the dawn of time.

Meant the class in general. Also 11 ranged specs and 13 Melee.

Also 13-11 really isn't that bad an offset. Just make the next Hero Class a ranged for once instead of a damn Melee.
    I know you did, but you can't argue variety in a vacuum. What about the variety for people who dislike casters but want to play ranged?

Without including hunter itself 12 and 9.

It's not a bad offset, but 12 and 12 is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    I know you did, but you can't argue variety in a vacuum. What about the variety for people who dislike casters but want to play ranged?

Without including hunter itself 12 and 9.

It's not a bad offset, but 12 and 12 is better.
    I don't disagree and as I said I hope for once that if they introduce a new class it's a ranged one because any DPS spec of the last 3 has been Melee and it's just silly. Windwalker, Unholy, Frost and Havoc. Only reason I even play Havoc is because I main Vengeance and I like to have a decent DPS offspec.

But Hunter is a dps so let's not exclude it just to tip the balance.

Honestly though if the next class isn't ranged or doesn't have a ranged spec I will be irritated because I prefer ranged over melee for the most part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I love how the myth has become that Survival hunter is not seen so commonly because "it's so complex and not braindead easy hurr!"... Yehah, sure.
    The matter of the fact is: The spec is melee in a class that most playing it before Legion chose because it was ranged. I don't think Survival is more or less complex now than it was when I actually enjoyed playing it, but the fact that it's melee means it is dead to me.
    shh don't try to reason
    i mean ppl play hunter since 2004 because they knew blizz will make it melee in legion of course, why else would u pick a hunter since vanilla days ? because of course u knew blizz was going to make it melee after 13 years
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Deleted

The fact that making even a small mistake leads into a huge DPS loss. Not other class is that demanding, making a mistake on survival makes you lose all stacks on mok'nathal which leads into 12% AP loss AND a lot of focus because you have to regain 4 stacks ASAP. Also there is the fact that it is (i believe) the DPS class that uses the most buttons on its ST rotation, and the only one that has to manage multiple charges on spells+buffs+dots+focus. It's the most challenging DPS by far on the game right now (maybe WW is close, but i don't know that much about WW).

The fact that making even a small mistake leads into a huge DPS loss. Not other class is that demanding, making a mistake on survival makes you lose all stacks on mok'nathal which leads into 12% AP loss AND a lot of focus because you have to regain 4 stacks ASAP. Also there is the fact that it is (i believe) the DPS class that uses the most buttons on its ST rotation, and the only one that has to manage multiple charges on spells+buffs+dots+focus. It's the most challenging DPS by far on the game right now (maybe WW is close, but i don't know that much about WW).
    More buttons does not equal a harder spec.

Nor does having to hit 1 button every 8 seconds or so.

If you let Mok'nathal drop because you forgot to spend 25 focus then that is not down to difficulty. If you are consistently making the mistake of pressing one button every 8-9 seconds then that is not the spec being hard. That is the player being bad.

Also Lacerate and Serpent Sting (if chosen since Butchery is viable) are 2 dots. Having to hit Raptor Strike isn't hard nor is Lacerate. Sting lasts 15 seconds so you will have to refresh it to keep Mok'Nathal up. So you should NEVER be letting Serpent Sting drop off.

As for Caltrops or Steel Trap again easy to manage. Since that is choice dependent although usually the people I know take Caltrops.

So I ask again. What is hard about the spec? If keeping a buff or DoT up adds difficulty then a lot of Melee specs and ranged ones are difficult by that logic.

It's nothing but a myth that Survival is complex and it's purely because they added a few more buttons to a Hunter spec. The rotation is braindead, the buff/dot management is similar to most classes and again if you are consistently losing Mok'nathal then that is down to the player and not the spec.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-12-30 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kubuntu View Post
    Survival, Outlaw, Arcane, Demo, WW , is short speccs that are ether anoing to play or req to do a lot of extra stuff but get little effectivnes in numbers
    Arcane is insanely powerful. Its mass AoE rotation is literally two buttons and it beats almost everything. Single target also insane. It sometimes struggles with cleave fights, but is still in the top handful of specs.

But weird perception thing: I swear I only see other arcane mages when I switch to arcane.

Arcane Mages, sadly. I find it to be one of the most fun specs in the game.

Also the obvious SV Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sendula View Post
    Survival, because it's the only hunter spec that is not braindead easy and also happens to be melee, which adds even more complexity.
    Yeah, that's not the reason...it's because people who want to play a hunter don't want to play a melee spec. If they wanted to play a melee spec, plenty of other classes/specs designed from the ground up to be one. I don't even recognize it as a spec and will never even think about playing it unless they scrap the terrible idea and redesign it back to a proper ranged spec.

Deleted
    More buttons does not equal a harder spec.

Nor does having to hit 1 button every 8 seconds or so.

If you let Mok'nathal drop because you forgot to spend 25 focus then that is not down to difficulty. If you are consistently making the mistake of pressing one button every 8-9 seconds then that is not the spec being hard. That is the player being bad.

Also Lacerate and Serpent Sting (if chosen since Butchery is viable) are 2 dots. Having to hit Raptor Strike isn't hard nor is Lacerate. Sting lasts 15 seconds so you will have to refresh it to keep Mok'Nathal up. So you should NEVER be letting Serpent Sting drop off.

As for Caltrops or Steel Trap again easy to manage. Since that is choice dependent although usually the people I know take Caltrops.

So I ask again. What is hard about the spec? If keeping a buff or DoT up adds difficulty then a lot of Melee specs and ranged ones are difficult by that logic.

It's nothing but a myth that Survival is complex and it's purely because they added a few more buttons to a Hunter spec. The rotation is braindead, the buff/dot management is similar to most classes and again if you are consistently losing Mok'nathal then that is down to the player and not the spec.
    Again, it's not about how complex it is (still the most complex rotation in the game even if you consider it easy), it is about one fuck up = huge DPS loss. Most classes are easier yet 95% of the playerbase fuck up the rotation; why would that people play an even more complex class/spec that doesn't even give that much of a reward (AKA it ins't the fotm)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Same. It's a fun spec and I'm glad it got the revamp. Always wanted a Melee spec for Hunters.
    As soon as I heard 'melee hunter', I was like, "HELL YEAH!".
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Again, it's not about how complex it is (still the most complex rotation in the game even if you consider it easy), it is about one fuck up = huge DPS loss. Most classes are easier yet 95% of the playerbase fuck up the rotation; why would that people play an even more complex class/spec that doesn't even give that much of a reward (AKA it ins't the fotm)?
    You literally called it a hard spec. There is nothing hard about it and I already explained why. If you still believe so then you can freely choose to believe that myth that the players keep trying to push on the spec.

Keeping a buff up by pressing one button every 8 seconds is not hard. If you cannot do that then you then it is certainly not down to the spec. Nor does it create complexity. You hit a 25 focus cost button every 8 seconds. If that is complex then I don't know what else to say.

Survival Hunter has zero complexity to it. It has one buff management mechanic where you press a button every 8 seconds. I will ask you one more time to state where any complexity lies within the spec. If you cannot then I will not respond any further.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-12-30 at 07:03 PM.