Man killed by police due to a false Incident of swatting

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/cri...192111974.html This Idiocy needs to be put to an end seriously, this Is just uber sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well one thing is sure...its gona be outlawed soon. Maybe they will next time call the victim of posible swatting on a phone 1.st (exeption are people that live in that house and have criminal record).
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Well one thing is sure...its gona be outlawed soon.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure calling in false reports to the police has been against the law since there's been police. You can't "outlaw" something that is illegal already.

The only thing that could be done would be for the police force to vet the calls a tad bit better, and the SWAT to not go in guns blazing, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Yeah I'm pretty sure calling in false reports to the police has been against the law since there's been police. You can't "outlaw" something that is illegal already.

The only thing that could be done would be for the police force to vet the calls a tad bit better, and the SWAT to not go in guns blazing, ever.
    The problem with vetting calls is that you risk actual calls being ignored and thats not acceptable.

The solution is to punish swatter much harder and to actively hunt down and prosecute those who do it.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Well one thing is sure...its gona be outlawed soon.
    Holy shit, you actually think it's currently legal?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The problem with vetting calls is that you risk actual calls being ignored and thats not acceptable.
    Risking an innocent death when vetting a call properly vs killing an innocent when not vetting a call properly. Be my guest, you decide which is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The solution is to punish swatter much harder and to actively hunt down and prosecute those who do it.
    Punishment does nothing. In any case. Punishment has always been completely irrelevant. The only option is to pre-empt stuff. Has the capital punishment stopped, or even lowered the amount of capital crimes? No. Punishment is irrelevant.

Risking an innocent death when vetting a call properly vs killing an innocent when not vetting a call properly. Be my guest, you decide which is worse.
    Risking innocents by doing nothing is worse. Suppose the cops call up the house and ask "anyone being held hostage over there? No? Okay then...sorry to bother you.. have a good day".

This situation is tragic and the officer that shot needs to be held accountable for that...but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Suppose the cops call up the house and ask "anyone being held hostage over there?
    Is that really the only thing that's available to these people, though? Nothing at all, aside from busting down the door, shooting everything that moves and thus murdering innocents, or, calling up the house and asking if someone is being held hostage? Nothing a bit more intelligent? Nothing a bit more professional?

You can't "outlaw" something that is illegal already.
    Tell that to the libtard gun grabbers. Always wanting more gun laws to make gun crime more illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Is that really the only thing that's available to these people, though? Nothing at all, aside from busting down the door, shooting everything that moves and thus murdering innocents, or, calling up the house and asking if someone is being held hostage? Nothing a bit more intelligent? Nothing a bit more professional?
    Again, the officer that shot fucked up. He should be held accountable. So you can drop the whole "murdering innocents" thing.

It's easy to monday-morning quarterback these things. But, let's say your family is being held hostage by an intruder. You get a small window of opportunity to call the police. Do you really want to hear "Your call is important to us. Please hold while we vet the nature of your emergency"?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Fake news, no such thing as swats just hired goons murder squads

Deleted
    Again, the officer that shot fucked up. He should be held accountable. So you can drop the whole "murdering innocents" thing.
    Holding someone accountable after the fact doesn't do anything. "If I'll break it, I'll pay for it", sure. How about you don't break it in the first place. Let's go from there, instead.

let's say your family is being held hostage by an intruder. You get a small window of opportunity to call the police. Do you really want to hear "Your call is important to us. Please hold while we vet the nature of your emergency"?
    Let's say someone SWATs your family, who has done nothing. SWAT comes in, murders your parent, sibling, significant other, child, because they didn't vet the nature of the emergency. Do you really want that to happen? Because that is, actually, what does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Tell that to the libtard gun grabbers. Always wanting more gun laws to make gun crime more illegal.
    Well, shockingly countries with strict gun control have almost no gun crimes.

Shocking I know.

Holding someone accountable after the fact doesn't do anything. "If I'll break it, I'll pay for it", sure. How about you don't break it in the first place. Let's go from there, instead.
    Kind of why SWAT is sent in the first place...to prevent something bad from happening.

But yeah. We might as well just get rid of accountability entirely. New Police mandate "If we don't stop you while you are actually committing the crime...you get away with it". I'm sure that policy will really bring down crime rates.

Let's say someone SWATs your family, who has done nothing. SWAT comes in, murders your parent, sibling, significant other, child, because they didn't vet the nature of the emergency. Do you really want that to happen? Because that is, actually, what does happen.
    No, I don't want that to happen at all. If it did, I'd be at least as upset as this family must be right now and I would want people held accountable. The officer that that killed my loved one and the son of a bitch that sicked SWAT on us. But hey, punishment does nothing...so we should just let everyone go, right?

What i also don't want is to have people die because SWAT did nothing.

Yes, in this situation, someone died because one officer fucked up hard. It's tragic...but it's not the usual result.

Deleted
    Kind of why SWAT is sent in the first place...to prevent something bad from happening.
    Which then leads to irony, doesn't it. Send SWAT to protect people, but by sending the brainless SWAT to "protect" people, an innocent gets killed.

But yeah. We might as well just get rid of accountability entirely. New Police mandate "If we don't stop you while you are actually committing the crime...you get away with it". I'm sure that policy will really bring down crime rates.
    How about instead of punishing crime, we prevent it?

No, I don't want that to happen at all. If it did, I'd be at least as upset as this family must be right now and I would want people held accountable. The officer that that killed my loved one and the son of a bitch that sicked SWAT on us. But hey, punishment does nothing...so we should just let everyone go, right?
    Your loved one would still have died whether that asshole SWAT member who murdered them, or the person who called in the threat was punished or not. Also, there's plentiful evidence that your mental state would not be helped a single iota by punishing those people. I'm not saying punishment should be removed, but how about instead of reveling in the idea of punishment, we figure out a way to prevent the crime in the first place.

Which then leads to irony, doesn't it. Send SWAT to protect people, but by sending the brainless SWAT to "protect" people, an innocent gets killed.
    SWAT's purpose is not protecting people. We aren't talking normal police here, they are trained to make quick decisions and only come into play in hostage or terrorist situations.

This situation also was not SWAT just a regular police officer. I've yet to here of someone dying during one of the fake swatting incidents when actual SWAT is used. Why? Probably because they're much better trained at handling a situation like this then a random cop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please use the existing thread found in Gen OT here.