View Poll Results: Do you get a Influenza Vaccination ?

Voters
111. This poll is closed
  • Yes. I do get a flu shot

44 39.64%
  • No. I do not get a flu shot

67 60.36%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza

"As influenza is caused by a variety of species and strains of viruses, in any given year some strains can die out while others create epidemics, while yet another strain can cause a pandemic. Typically, in a year's normal two flu seasons (one per hemisphere), there are between three and five million cases of severe illness and around 500,000 deaths worldwide,[159] which by some definitions is a yearly influenza epidemic.[160] Although the incidence of influenza can vary widely between years, approximately 36,000 deaths and more than 200,000 hospitalizations are directly associated with influenza every year in the United States.[161][162] One method of calculating influenza mortality produced an estimate of 41,400 average deaths per year in the United States between 1979 and 2001.[163] Different methods in 2010 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported a range from a low of about 3,300 deaths to a high of 49,000 per year.[164]

Roughly three times per century, a pandemic occurs, which infects a large proportion of the world's population and can kill tens of millions of people (see pandemics section). One study estimated that if a strain with similar virulence to the 1918 influenza emerged today, it could kill between 50 and 80 million people."

So just some food for thought people, we are due for another pandemic soon..

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Its not ineffective and it doesn't care that you're healthy.
    Well I would call vaccination inefficient if hospitals that have almost 100% vaccinated staff and patients still battle through influenza epidemic. At least you could call flu shots unreliable. I do still take them like I said since it might prevent me from being a possible vector but you can still question the validity of the flu shots outside the risk groups where as you cant say same for the measles vaccination really.

Last time i remember having a flu (with all the nasty symptoms accompanied) was close to 19 years ago, either i have been lucky so far or the flu was passing unnoticed all those years.

No flu shots taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Inay View Post
    Well I would call vaccination inefficient if hospitals that have almost 100% vaccinated staff and patients still battle through influenza epidemic. At least you could call flu shots unreliable. I do still take them like I said since it might prevent me from being a possible vector but you can still question the validity of the flu shots outside the risk groups where as you cant say same for the measles vaccination really.
    The diseases are completely different. It's really not fair to compare them.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Well, let's say it's 1 in 100,000. A flu shot will cost you maybe $20. Is your life worth $2 million?

There are tens of thousands of flu deaths in the US each year. The population is around 300M, so that's about a 1 in 10,000 chance of being killed each year. Granted, that's more heavily weighted to older and immune compromised people.
    Without the knowledge of the actual numbers I would still argue the risk of dying to flu as a healthy young adult is much lower and more aligned with the risks to have an actual low risk side effect from the shot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhdurr View Post
    The diseases are completely different. It's really not fair to compare them.
    Well you are right it was a bit overblown comparison but if you think that vaccinations point is to get a reliable immunity to said virus you get the point. I am not saying flu vaccinations are meaningless but I am questioning the worth if you are not on the risk groups.

10+ Year Old Account
    The staff have 100% uptake the patients don't, it's closer to 50% average. I'm really confused how that proves ineffectiveness.

I haven't gotten a flu shot since I was a kid and i'm perfectly fine. That's even with being around people often. Wash your hands and keep your immune system strong and you usually won't have an issue. Even if you do get the flu, nowadays it's extremely unlikely to be fatal unless you're elderly or young.

TIL 3% of total annual profits is "barely any money" LUL. I'm not even going to bother debunking this shill since it looks like plenty of people have already eviscerated him in the comments.

Also LMFAO @ using literally an anonymous blogger who refuses to even state where he went to school in his "credentials" as a source. No wonder this current generation is so uninformed and gullible.

Well at least here the patients are vaccinated too. Actual 100% percent vaccination rate is nearly impossible since it is still not mandatory to take them but if you say that a hospital with high rate still gets epidemics you could say the vaccination has been ineffective?
    Lets say the effectiveness of this years flu shot would be like a coin flip now I would say its more than reasonable to take it if you are in the risk groups but if you are not I would consider taking it because the pros are fairly vague and it still can have cons for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    Not a surprise the same red dildo that elected an orange moron also can't practice personal or social hygiene with the exception of Florida, where you having nursing homes to do that.
    Really? I think you need to stop thinking about politics for once in your life. It is literally going to ruin you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    I haven't gotten a flu shot since I was a kid and i'm perfectly fine. That's even with being around people often. Wash your hands and keep your immune system strong and you usually won't have an issue. Even if you do get the flu, nowadays it's extremely unlikely to be fatal unless you're elderly or young.

TIL 3% of total annual profits is "barely any money" LUL. I'm not even going to bother debunking this shill since it looks like plenty of people have already eviscerated him in the comments.

Also LMFAO @ using literally an anonymous blogger who refuses to even state where he went to school in his "credentials" as a source. No wonder this current generation is so uninformed and gullible.
    That's 3% of sales you dingbat. What I thought a clueless person lying about their wife. Flu is expensive to make and it's % of profit is much smaller than most other vaccines and medication.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2017-12-30 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Well, let's say it's 1 in 100,000. A flu shot will cost you maybe $20. Is your life worth $2 million?

There are tens of thousands of flu deaths in the US each year. The population is around 300M, so that's about a 1 in 10,000 chance of being killed each year. Granted, that's more heavily weighted to older and immune compromised people.
    This post is highly misleading. It is almost exclusively weighted to the very old an immune compromised. Very very rare cases will cause a fatal case of pneumonia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Evidence for your seat belt claims?
    http://www.roadsafetyobservatory.com...les/seat-belts

. The study estimated that three point seat belts were 40% to 50% effective at preventing fatal injuries, 45% to 55% effective at preventing serious injuries and 10% effective at preventing slight injuries. Lap belts were less effective than three point belts.

TBH it's a fairly nonsense argument on my part because clearly wearing a seatbelt in some circumstances will have a much better chance and in others, zero chance, but just like vaccines they aren't going to save every body. But if there's even a 10% chance, that has to be worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    My Grandfather has the flu(Apparently anyways) Course with the hospital not knowing what each hand is doing, it's a clusterfuck.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account
    No, I don't, because in my experience it is counterproductive. In my experience the people that get the flu shots are the ones who get sick, and then spread it around work. Honestly it doesn't bother me anyway, if I get sick I get sick, I deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post
    This post is highly misleading. It is almost exclusively weighted to the very old an immune compromised. Very very rare cases will cause a fatal case of pneumonia.
    Yes because young people die from other complications and not the pneumonia, in flu young people tend to die from sepsis or other issues related to the overactive immune system damaging healthy tissue.

There has been as many as a 170 odd children dying from flu in any one year.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2017-12-30 at 06:20 PM.

I hope it is captain trips!

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    No, I don't, because in my experience it is counterproductive. In my experience the people that get the flu shots are the ones who get sick, and then spread it around work. Honestly it doesn't bother me anyway, if I get sick I get sick, I deal with it.
    Flu shot can't actually make you sick as in getting the flu. You can have similar symptoms for day or two but you can't get sick from the shot itself. Now you can still get the flu even though you got vaccinated.

7+ Year Old Account
    Flu shot can't actually make you sick as in getting the flu. You can have similar symptoms for day or two but you can't get sick from the shot itself. Now you can still get the flu even though you got vaccinated.
    The flu virus constantly mutates. You can't vaccinate against it. It's like the cold.

never had the flu, never gotten the shot.

I guess i am immune

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    The flu virus constantly mutates. You can't vaccinate against it. It's like the cold.
    That is why I am saying it is ineffective vaccination.