View Poll Results: Do you get a Influenza Vaccination ?

Voters
111. This poll is closed
  • Yes. I do get a flu shot

44 39.64%
  • No. I do not get a flu shot

67 60.36%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    The flu virus constantly mutates. You can't vaccinate against it. It's like the cold.
    Not to mention the shot they give out could be the wrong strain and people would get the flu anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    The flu virus constantly mutates. You can't vaccinate against it. It's like the cold.
    You can, and it's proven.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Inay View Post
    That is why I am saying it is ineffective vaccination.
    Which would be wrong. If it has even a 10% effective rate it would still be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post
    This post is highly misleading. It is almost exclusively weighted to the very old an immune compromised. Very very rare cases will cause a fatal case of pneumonia.
    It's also misleading because it's not the number of people who would die if no one received the vaccine.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Inay View Post
    Flu shot can't actually make you sick as in getting the flu. You can have similar symptoms for day or two but you can't get sick from the shot itself. Now you can still get the flu even though you got vaccinated.
    Interesting, for the first time in about 6 years, my youngest son got a flu shot. 24 hours later he was sick and stayed sick for 3 days. The experience was bad enough he doesn't plan to get another shot unless he is forced.

I personally haven't gotten a flu shot in the past 20+ years, about every 7-8 years I get the flu. I believe 2009 was my last time, so maybe this year will be my time again.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2017-12-30 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Interesting, for the first time in about 6 years, my youngest son got a flu shot. 24 hours later he was sick and stayed sick for 3 days. The experience was bad enough he doesn't plan to get another shot unless he is forced.
    Having symptoms like flu could be possible but flu shots don't contain any live samples and it is clinically proven that it can't actually cause a flu. Now getting a flu shot when there is already epidemic ongoing won't guarantee protection since it takes approximately 2 weeks to have the full effect of the shot and then there is the fact that the shot could be rather ineffective itself for the current strain of the virus but it is a fact that the shot cant give you flu.

Quote Originally Posted by Venarik View Post
    minimal exposure to people, and I'm a real pussy about needles, so no flu shot for me.

haven't had the flu yet though, and hopefully don't ever get it.
    Once you have flu, you will care not about the needle.

Imagine a week of being so weak you're barely able to move, none stop severe headache, loss of appetite, nausea, vomitting, dissentry, bouts of violent shaking or shiverring, huge temperature swings, cold sweats. It's basically feeling like you're literally going to die, just a period of pure agony, suffering and helplessness.

A lot of people I find tend to confuse the flu with the common cold though, you see someone say they have flu because they have a headache and a sore throat, because of course a bad cold can be agony too, but it's barely a fraction of what having flu is like.

With that said, I haven't had a shot.. I've had flu 2-3 times in my life, once per decade experience.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I've gotten Influenza B the past 2 years in a row, so this year I got a flu shot. So far, so good. Though, the entire family came down with a "stomach flu", which isn't really the flu, over Christmas. My wife never gets the shot, and has never had Influenza. Even when I had it and she was helping me out when I felt like I was dying with a 104 degree fever.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Flu shots only help with certain strains that mutate all the time. No one in my family gets one unless their employer requires it. Oh and for reference my parents and brother all work in the medical field 2 are pharmacists.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Once you have flu, you will care not about the needle.

Imagine a week of being so weak you're barely able to move, none stop severe headache, loss of appetite, nausea, vomitting, dissentry, bouts of violent shaking or shiverring, huge temperature swings, cold sweats. It's basically feeling like you're literally going to die, just a period of pure agony, suffering and helplessness.

A lot of people I find tend to confuse the flu with the common cold though, you see someone say they have flu because they have a headache and a sore throat, because of course a bad cold can be agony too, but it's barely a fraction of what having flu is like.

With that said, I haven't had a shot.. I've had flu 2-3 times in my life, once per decade experience.
    Influenza doesn't make you vomit. Are you mixing it up with gastroenteritis?

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Influenza doesn't make you vomit. Are you mixing it up with gastroenteritis?
    Why would I mix up one of the most memorable experiences of suffering in my life? What makes you think that Flu doesn't make you vommit?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Why would I mix up one of the most memorable experiences of suffering in my life? What makes you think that Flu doesn't make you vommit?
    I've never known anyone to vomit from it. They cough, they feel weak, have pains, have fever but never known anyone to vomit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    George is a very insightful man, your twist is just idiotic though when you're trying to make it an anti-vaccine statement, that isn't what he said, ever.. 1916 saw 2400 people die in New York due to Polio...
    ..But I wasn't making an anti-vaccine statement? You sound like you're projecting.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    As a nurse who's had three people die from the flu in the last two weeks, please get your fucking flu shots.
    It's devestating this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You actually were making an anti-vaccine statement. It's OK, though, maybe you don't understand how English works.
    I was not and if you think I were I believe it is you with issues about english language. I stated I don't take flu shots and made a joke quote after. If that's an anti-vaccine statement in your world I recommend seeking help.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    ..But I wasn't making an anti-vaccine statement? You sound like you're projecting.
    Fair enough, looked like you were using George Carlin to defend your stance on not taking vaccines, I do find it odd that you think getting the live virus is going to improve your immune system yet think getting the dead virus is not worth it even though it improves your immune system. Confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    As a nurse who's had three people die from the flu in the last two weeks, please get your fucking flu shots.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2017-12-30 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I've never known anyone to vomit from it. They cough, they feel weak, have pains, have fever but never known anyone to vomit from it.
    It's listed as a common symptom on the NHS website, that's more relevant than personal experience... And to go back to my original post, a lot of people confuse severe colds with the flu, especially people who have not been unfortunate enough to get real flu so can't make the distinction, since a lot of the symptoms are similar.

Deleted
    Live in a bubble. If some Texan kid can do it in the 70s with no immune system, so can you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-disease.html

When David Vetter was born in September 1971 his parents David and Carol-Anne knew that he had a one in two chance of having severe combined immune deficiency.

His elder brother, also called David, died after eight months. So when David was born by emergency caesarean section at St Luke's Hospital in Houston, Texas, he was instantly removed to a sterile bubble until tests were performed to see if he had inherited the congenital disease.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Flu shots aren't the only way to mitigate catching something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not American but I do have my flu shots when needed.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I've had the flu plenty of times when I was younger. To my mind, it's just the flu.

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    Not a surprise the same red dildo that elected an orange moron also can't practice personal or social hygiene with the exception of Florida, where you having nursing homes to do that.
    You seem real upset and emotional about the election. Name calling only weakens your "argument". So maybe try harder next time?