View Poll Results: Do you get a Influenza Vaccination ?

Voters
111. This poll is closed
  • Yes. I do get a flu shot

44 39.64%
  • No. I do not get a flu shot

67 60.36%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I've never known anyone to vomit from it. They cough, they feel weak, have pains, have fever but never known anyone to vomit from it.
    That's normally my indicator I have the actual flu versus just don't feel well. Though the last time I had the full on 2 week version of the flu was the 1997 strain

Quote Originally Posted by Inay View Post
    Having symptoms like flu could be possible but flu shots don't contain any live samples and it is clinically proven that it can't actually cause a flu. Now getting a flu shot when there is already epidemic ongoing won't guarantee protection since it takes approximately 2 weeks to have the full effect of the shot and then there is the fact that the shot could be rather ineffective itself for the current strain of the virus but it is a fact that the shot cant give you flu.
    He got his back in early Oct timeframe. He doesn't claim to have gotten the flu, since he has been through all the training, he simple says "I had a reaction to it". So whatever we want to call it, it's going to be a tough sell going forward.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2017-12-30 at 07:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    Live in a bubble. If some Texan kid can do it in the 70s with no immune system, so can you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-disease.html

- - - Updated - - -

Flu shots aren't the only way to mitigate catching something.
    Never was that claimed.
    The flu shot can help reduce symptoms and keep people alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there was some kind of flu shot that makes you completely immune to the flu I'd love to take it, but unfortunately there isn't. The flu virus mutates so fast that any vaccine is gonna be out of date by the time it passes human trials. Maybe you'll manage to resist one of the strains covered by the shot you got, but why would I even bother.
    If I do get the flu I'll just feel like shit for a week, call in sick and stay home and play video games or sleep. Only happened to me once in 30 years though...

those elders have most likely taken flu shots but it does unfortunately not hinder you from getting the flue nor the strength. I believe in vaccines I have taken a lot of them but flu shot is one that I skip because it doesn't help at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    If there was some kind of flu shot that makes you completely immune to the flu I'd love to take it, but unfortunately there isn't. The flu virus mutates so fast that any vaccine is gonna be out of date by the time it passes human trials.
    Completely untrue, but carry on. There is no vaccine that makes you completely immune to ANY virus.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    those elders have most likely taken flu shots but it does unfortunately not hinder you from getting the flue nor the strength. I believe in vaccines I have taken a lot of them but flu shot is one that I skip because it doesn't help at all.
    If only there was copious amounts of research to show that the flu shot not only reduces the chances but also reduces the affects of flu....
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2017-12-30 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You stated that you don't take vaccines and let your immune system build itself up. You then quoted an anti-vaxxer line that supposedly counters the effectiveness or necessity of the polio vaccine. Maybe you just don't understand the topic of anti-vaxxers and are unaware of what you said, but it was most assuredly the default anti-vaxxer position/argument.
    Not taking flu shots does not mean I don't take vaccines. As I said, you're projecting. And if you didn't understand the joke from fact that it was so over the top (not to mention made by George Carlin) you seriously need some self-studying. If you think that talking about swimming in raw sewage is literal and somehow apply it to real life you're about as dumb as average Trump supporter. Good job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Fair enough, looked like you were using George Carlin to defend your stance on not taking vaccines, I do find it odd that you think getting the live virus is going to improve your immune system yet think getting the dead virus is not worth it even though it improves your immune system. Confusing.
    I don't tend to get seasonal flus and when I do I weather them just fine so I do not see any particular reason to get extra injections. I have all the vaccinations that are listed as necessity.

And I used George Carlin as a joke, 'swimming in raw sewage', are we taking that literally now?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

What do you people think a virus is? Do you understand mutation? When a virus mutates it doesn't change 100% of RNA structure only parts. When you receive a vaccine you make antibodies to various parts of the sequence. When a study says that it is 30 or 40 or 60% effective, then those parts of the virus are still present in the current strain, and will present on the exterior of the cell initiating an immune response.

"Well it mutates!" is a stupid response. "I wash my hands" is a stupid response.

Big pharma will get rich no matter what you do. So get a fucking $20 flu shot.
    Last edited by Coombs; 2017-12-30 at 08:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Someone really needs to put an Immunology YouTube video in a link here and force every fucking idiot to watch it. Unfuckingbelievable.
    Yeah. This thread and the nobs in it is the reason why shit like measles are coming back.

"Hurr durr once I got a flu shot and then got sick! NEVER AGAIN hurr durr!"

It's spreading in Canada too. I'm currently suffering from it, and I got the flu shot. My guess is that this is a particularly strong strain, because the symptoms are brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Nope, I just think someone who says their immune system is somehow strong against flu mutations doesn't know shit about the flu. It's OK though, you're trying to use big boy words to call others stupid. Clearly you're projecting.
    *Facepalm*
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Never got a flu shot. Rarely ever get sick anyway.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Splenda View Post
    No, but it's more due to laziness and being a hermit than anything else.
    You get me.

I believe in vaccinations and i have had all my shots as a kid but i have never had a flu shot even though looking at that chart iam in a high risk area.

I guess cause its my age i stupidly feel i will be ok but if shit really does get bad you can bet i will be first in the que!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Flu shots are so ineffective it's not even worth the effort. I've tried it before and I still got sick.
    They're not meant to prevent you from getting the flu, nor can they. They cover a spectrum of flu viruses and reduce the likelihood of getting the flu (but can't eliminate it), the severity, and the chance you can pass it on. It helps prevent the spread of the flu where it actually breaks out and protects those who can't protect themselves (bad immune systems, very young, very old).

10+ Year Old Account
    I just started reading The Stand. Chapter 35. God help you all!
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    That argument makes no sense whatsoever.
    It's not an argument. It's me saying I don't get sick very often and also that I've never had a flu shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    It's not an argument. It's me saying I don't get sick very often and also that I've never had a flu shot.
    It's not meant to keep you from getting sick. It's meant for herd immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It's not meant to keep you from getting sick. It's meant for herd immunity.
    Yeah makes sense, I've just never gotten one.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    While it's true it mutates it does so over a long time, the flushot you get is based on the type of flu that is most likely to be active in your area - so it's fairly reliable.

That's why they don't make the vaccines until late autumn.

- - - Updated - - -

You 100% cannot get the flu from the vaccine, however the vaccine is not effective until some days later so he could have gotten the actual flu before the vaccine worked.

These kinds of "in my experience" things are really stupid.
    I believe the flu jab actually is a dose of the flu. So you do get the flu from the jab.

Over here you don't get a flu jab unless you're old or have some medical condition / respiratory disorder. Otherwise you just man the fuck up and deal with the stupid germs like a badass! (dying in bed for 2 weeks hehe)

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Influenza (the Flu), is spreading across the USA.

Do you get a influenza shot in the arm before the flu season starts,
    or during flu season? It is never to late to get one.

Some workplaces give employees a flu jab for free.

Te Flu can be very debilitating & sometimes deadly.

In the Winter recently finished in Australia, the influenza virus killed a number of elderly esp those in retirement homes.
    It also killed some young children as well as some fit & healthy young adults.

It always depends upon the strain of the influenza virus.
    Some viruses adapt themselves to become more deadly.

The map below shows where the Flu has spread in the USA up the December 23 2017
    Its mainly in California & the Southern States.

I wish my MMO friends all the best in avoiding the flu this winter.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/f...atment-2017-12

The flu season is off to a strong start, with 21 states reporting ‘high’ flu-like activity.
    This year’s vaccine isn’t as effective as usual, but it can still prevent you from getting some versions of the flu.
    People who do catch the flu can get rid of it faster with antiviral drugs.
    From the California coast to the shores of South Carolina, Americans across the country are coming down with some nasty strains of the flu this year.

The Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports “influenza activity” is ticking up across the southern half of the US, with one strain (H3N2) responsible for the majority of the deadliest, most dangerous cases reported so far.In lab specimen tests, H3N2 has been responsible for around nine out of every 10 flu cases studied. And at least twelve children have died from catching the flu this season.

The states where flu prevalence is most worrisome are highlighted here in red:

What an odd coincidence... the red states seem to be primarily bible belt and anti-vaxxer strong states.... what are the odds......