Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I watch too much youtube videos of cops, but it seems crazy to me that you can be 300 pounds plus and actually do your your job. Do they not test your health after you graduate?
    Obvious troll thread, but I'll bite.

It's a country wide problem, but thanks to unions and other BS rules. Once you are in as a cop (regular city cop, not state highway patrol) you never have to do another physical exam. That IS the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    A 10 minute mile? That's a complete joke. That's an awful pace for a marathon, much less a single mile.

For non-paid people, I don't care. For positions where people are compensated, having some basic fitness standards really isn't too much to ask. Anyone that can't run a 10 minute mile is a such a lazy fuck that they have no business being in a position with any physical demands.
    Pace for a marathon? In what fucked up chase in this day and age is going to require a policeman to condition themselves to run 26 miles?

- - - Updated - - -

i'm fairly sure the fire department has standards?
    Ya this is just a shitty bait thread at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    Pace for a marathon? In what fucked up chase in this day and age is going to require a policeman to condition themselves to run 26 miles?
    It doesn't. My point is that a 10 minute mile is so slow that a reasonably fit person can run faster than that for 26.2 without trouble. Realistically, there's absolutely no good reason for a policeman to fail to run an 8 minute mile. That's still really slow and a really low endurance standard. Basic fitness should be relevant for these jobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    :shrug: 10char

It doesn't. My point is that a 10 minute mile is so slow that a reasonably fit person can run faster than that for 26.2 without trouble. Realistically, there's absolutely no good reason for a policeman to fail to run an 8 minute mile. That's still really slow and a really low endurance standard. Basic fitness should be relevant for these jobs.
    That a “fit person” can run with no gear or training? You are assuming a lot of these individuals, on both sides.

- - - Updated - - -

:shrug: 10char
    And this is why the thread needs to be closed.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    That a “fit person” can run with no gear or training? You are assuming a lot of these individuals, on both sides.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for for being the conscience of us all.

I'm really not assuming much. You could strap 50 pounds to my back and I still wouldn't be breathing hard after a 10 minute mile and I'm a computer nerd with no physical requirements in my job. This shit isn't hard, a lot of cops are just fat and lazy.

I'm really not assuming much. You could strap 50 pounds to my back and I still wouldn't be breathing hard after a 10 minute mile and I'm a computer nerd with no physical requirements in my job. This shit isn't hard, a lot of cops are just fat and lazy.
    I bet you could.

I bet you could.
    Think what you want, I guess. Not really sure what to tell you other than running a decent pace isn't a superhuman feat. People that can't do it are physically pathetic.

Think what you want, I guess. Not really sure what to tell you other than running a decent pace isn't a superhuman feat. People that can't do it are physically pathetic.
    Are you this unsympathetic towards peoples struggles in your day to day life or just online? I put forth an honest effort to say in shape but sometimes my depression gets the best of me.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A 10 minute mile? That's a complete joke. That's an awful pace for a marathon, much less a single mile.

For non-paid people, I don't care. For positions where people are compensated, having some basic fitness standards really isn't too much to ask. Anyone that can't run a 10 minute mile is a such a lazy fuck that they have no business being in a position with any physical demands.
    It is a realistic goal for most police personnel. They are not training to be special forces for overseas operations. If you can do a mile in 10 mins, then you are in decent shape, Good enough for basic police work. When I joined the Army decades ago, that was the same requirement. Some did fail and they did not stay in. Not sure now what the requirement is, but would not surprise me if it was still the min.

Quote Originally Posted by degarmo View Post
    Are you this unsympathetic towards peoples struggles in your day to day life or just online? I put forth an honest effort to say in shape but sometimes my depression gets the best of me.
    You probably shouldn't be a cop then.

Yes, I'm just about this unsympathetic in real life. I think it's pathetic when people make excuses for their fitness instead of sucking it up and taking care of their bodies. I don't really have a lot of occasions where the matter would come up and I'm never personally a jerk to people about it, but I have a pretty low opinion of the character of people that let their bodies go to shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I watch too much youtube videos of cops, but it seems crazy to me that you can be 300 pounds plus and actually do your your job. Do they not test your health after you graduate?
    You know, you could be quite able to do your job at 300 pounds as a cop, right? I mean, I see people freaking bench shit in the gym around that weight. As well, good cops, doesn't have to be about shape, are still more worth than a burnout cop leaving 3 years later.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    You know, you could be quite able to do your job at 300 pounds as a cop, right? I mean, I see people freaking bench shit in the gym around that weight. As well, good cops, doesn't have to be about shape, are still more worth than a burnout cop leaving 3 years later.
    don't get me wrong lol, i would never argue with a couple 300 pound cops..that would end badly.

10+ Year Old Account
    You probably shouldn't be a cop then.

Yes, I'm just about this unsympathetic in real life. I think it's pathetic when people make excuses for their fitness instead of sucking it up and taking care of their bodies. I don't really have a lot of occasions where the matter would come up and I'm never personally a jerk to people about it, but I have a pretty low opinion of the character of people that let their bodies go to shit.
    Great, do tell me you don't work in healthcare, personal relations or other social activity jobs.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It is a realistic goal for most police personnel. They are not training to be special forces for overseas operations. If you can do a mile in 10 mins, then you are in decent shape, Good enough for basic police work. When I joined the Army decades ago, that was the same requirement. Some did fail and they did not stay in. Not sure now what the requirement is, but would not surprise me if it was still the min.
    Army requirements vary by gender, but for men the minimum for ages 22-26 after basic is a 16:36 2 mile time. That's pretty sensible - it's an easily achievable time for any young male and anything worse than that pretty strongly indicates either a disinterest in fitness or just zero physical talent. I can't really think of any good reason that police shouldn't be held to a similar standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    don't get me wrong lol, i would never argue with a couple 300 pound cops..that would end badly.
    Well, it does put a stronger picture if they can size up to their command. To be honest.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

A fit person (boy or girl) will be able to complete it in 5.
    But everything is relative, I supose that to you americans a "fit person" is just somone of "normal" body shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Great, do tell me you don't work in healthcare, personal relations or other social activity jobs.
    I work in a field adjacent to healthcare, but I don't have anything to do with patient care. I would never want to deal with patients and part of why is the dislike I have for people that destroy their bodies and then waste healthcare resources on things that could be remedied by them not behaving badly.

skinny officer doing a foot chace.
    if dude kept running he prob got away since he was a bit faster than the cop.