Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    So what does it mean then?

- - - Updated - - -

How is it ridiculously dangerous.
    It could mean you drive once a year. It could mean you drive so dangerously and aggressive other people give you a wide berth on the road. It can mean many things, not all of which "I'm a good driver".
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Probably will happen in Europe. Not in America though.

If the self driving product is really great and wonderful, You won't need to make people give up driving they will just do it. And those that don't want to give up driving will probably have a chance of just dying of old age before they completely ban it. Sure there might be a few holdouts, but nothing worth mentioning.

They didn't have to put a ban on Horse and buggy for them to become near non-existent. Better tech will replace older tech and people. Hell, by the time there is a concern about banning people from driving, we won't have anywhere to drive because the robots and AI will have us all unemployed anyways
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2017-12-31 at 12:56 AM.

Deleted
    Cooking is dangerous too guys, Human error while cooking can cause fires or even poisonous foodl leading not only to your own death, but the death of others. Why leave it to human error when machines can cook for us instead?

Come to think of it, why even live, living causes death, we should programme AI to live for and instead of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    If the self driving product is really great and wonderful, You won't need to make people give up driving they will just do it. And those that don't want to give up driving will probably have a chance of just dying of old age before they completely ban it. Sure there might be a few holdouts, but nothing worth mentioning.
    Plenty of people enjoy driving. The "self driving product" is basically the same as sitting in the passenger seat today.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have no problem with driverless cars.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Allerius View Post
    Plenty of people enjoy driving. The "self driving product" is basically the same as sitting in the passenger seat today.
    Self driving isn't going to be a real thing for another 10-15 years. Add another 25-30 years before we're at a place to even consider banning it Those that "enjoy" driving don't have anything to worry about. The mil gens and their kids will be more than excited to have the cars do all the work.
    Worse case, there will be tracks you go to so you can freestyle drive.

I'm Gen-X, so I completely get the enjoys driving part. Though I don't care so much about driving as I do the freedom of going wherever I want, when I want.

Even ignoring the safety aspect, human drivers are just inefficient. Take traffic lights. Humans react to them with a delay. And those that aren't directly in front of them react not to the lights but the car in front of them, compounding the delay more and more the further you go. Which is one of the primary reasons for traffic jams being as bad as they are. And cars often burn more fuel when stuck in traffic than they do when moving in a more fluid manner. The benefits of AI with way better reaction times are kinda piling up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

It'll be a hard transition, and it'll probably take years even when the technology is fully upon us, but someday we'll look back at cars with drivers as crazy backwards hick stuff. Driverless cars will completely eliminate traffic as we know it. The accident rate will plummet. We'll simply be far more productive.

Yeah, we'll lose the fun of driving cars ourselves and that whole cultural angle, but the pros will completely blow the cons out of the water.

It reads like bad rightwing satire from the "THEY GON TAKE MUH GUNS!" crowd tbh.
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    If this means I wouldn't have to pay auto insurance ever again I'd be all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Even ignoring the safety aspect, human drivers are just inefficient. Take traffic lights. Humans react to them with a delay. And those that aren't directly in front of them react not to the lights but the car in front of them, compounding the delay more and more the further you go. Which is one of the primary reasons for traffic jams being as bad as they are. And cars often burn more fuel when stuck in traffic than they do when moving in a more fluid manner. The benefits of AI with way better reaction times are kinda piling up.

I see people cite this sort of thing quite a bit. For starters, traffic lights themselves in many areas are on a simple timer, which means that no matter what the traffic is like, that light is going to go red anyhow. Changing lighting to be 'smart' would go a long way towards increasing efficiency, even when you factor in more economical means of transportation.

I see fairly widespread application of roundabouts in many areas around me that were normally congestion points, but these aren't possible to setup everywhere.

The other issue in any sort of metro area, that no amount of smart cars will solve, is pedestrians. Yes, your cars might be able to communicate with each other and flow seamlessly in to ongoing traffic (as long as there's 100% driverless cars in the system of course), but stopping for people at crosswalks is going to still cause traffic jams unless city layouts are completely re-thought. And good luck with that.

Human drivers aren't so much inefficient as they are self centered and thoughtless. That person who sits at a green light for 3 seconds simply doesn't care that he or she is holding up anyone else who might be stuck behind them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    If this means I wouldn't have to pay auto insurance ever again I'd be all for it.
    Never ever going to happen, not ever.

Cars that drive themselves would eliminate traffic jams and rush hour traffic wouldn't have backed up cars for miles.....

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Humans shouldn't be operating vehicles. I've never had an accident in more than 30 years of driving that wasn't deemed the other driver's fault, and I've avoided countless accidents by having to pay attention to other drivers making retarded and dangerous decisions on the road.

Also

Self driving cars will run over the chicken preventing the inefficiency.

As a technician who works around automated equipment on a daily basis, there is no way in hell I would put my life and the lives of my children in the hands of a machine. One sensor malfunction and things can get really dicey, really quickly.

This problem increases in rural areas with lots of curves, random animals running across the road, etc. What will a car do if it sees a deer? Or the center line is covered in rainfall or leaves?

Not to mention how spread out the population is. If I had an emergency and needed to leave the house RIGHT THEN, I might have to wait half an hour for a car to show up.

Nope. Been driving for over twenty years. No accidents. I don't speed, I don't tailgate, I don't text or talk on the phone. I know my kids are as safe as they can be when they are with me in the driver's seat. No robot will ever prove itself more capable in my lifetime.

I am totally pro anti-personal vehicle.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Just because you haven't been in an accident doesn't mean you are a safe/good driver. I'd be all for this, there are too many stupid people out on the roads.
    As someone whose job it is to take care of the mess after accidents, bring on the robots. The sooner the better.

Bad drivers ruin lives.
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    As a technician who works around automated equipment on a daily basis, there is no way in hell I would put my life and the lives of my children in the hands of a machine. One sensor malfunction and things can get really dicey, really quickly.

This problem increases in rural areas with lots of curves, random animals running across the road, etc. What will a car do if it sees a deer? Or the center line is covered in rainfall or leaves?

Not to mention how spread out the population is. If I had an emergency and needed to leave the house RIGHT THEN, I might have to wait half an hour for a car to show up.

Nope. Been driving for over twenty years. No accidents. I don't speed, I don't tailgate, I don't text or talk on the phone. I know my kids are as safe as they can be when they are with me in the driver's seat. No robot will ever prove itself more capable in my lifetime.
    You are more likely to kill your children than a machine. All your problems have very easy solutions.

What if you own your own car but its self driving? You have a vehicle for emergency assistance, hell 911 might be able to remote control the car to get to a destination if you can make it, otherwise you are still waiting for an emergency vehicle like normal.

Curves, random animals, environmental problems? All can be programmed in and recognized by AI faster and more efficiency.
    The real problem will be in convincing people that this is better, most likely we will need to wait for people with mindsets like yours to ultimately pass away for a new generation of people who are not stuck in an inferior mindset.

I wouldnt expect a completely driverless society to be a thing until im dead as well.
    Chronomancer Club

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Here's the deal: My car is parked 99% of the time.

That's a useless piece of machinery and space.

Why shouldn't it be driving around on its own to help others?

That leads to, why do we all need to own a car?

That leads to, oh yeah, the auto industry is going to backlash on this.

But really, think about a future (this is targeted at city dwellers) where the space in front of your residence isn't covered by cars because we need fewer cars on the road, and those cars that we have are going out on missions constantly.
    and at busy hours youd find yoruself having to wait for an availible car 30 min, unless ofc there are enough cars to handle busy hours, but then there will be tons of cars unused during the other hours of the day.
    Wich do you prefer? transportation always availible or transportation efficiently used? It really is impossible to have both.

There will be extremely high speed driverless-only lanes, but that's it.

The man who wrote the article at NR needs to go back on his medication. Really. This is top-shelf nuttery.

As a conservative, I'm starting to wonder how many so-called conservatives are really just deeply paranoid, un-diagosed mental illness sufferers. If he's driven a halfway decent car in the last 15 years, here's two spoilers: (1) the car is guiding your driving and makes subtle "edits" it for smoothness of ride and safety and (2) much of the car experience is already a simulation. Or do you think 21st century engines are actually that loud? That's the speaker and a soundfile, baby.

I mean what's next, an article about how we'll all be uploading our geo-spatial coordinates to a government designed and operated, taxpayer paid for satellite so they can track our movements in real time?

Oh wait, there's a word for that.

GPS.

And we've been using in cars since the 1990s.

What a yutz.