Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikara View Post
    The plural of Lego is still Lego.

- Sincerely, a Dane.
    This. You don't say moneys or furnitures (or if you do, that's also incorrect). If you really want an s on there say "LEGO bricks"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Lived in Australia for 30 years, no one says legos.

What happens if I have a box full of equipment. I don't have equipments do I? What about feedback, feedbacks isn't a word. What about the luggage I took on my last holiday, I didn't take my luggages did I?
    You might not have "equipments," but you have wrencheS, plierS, sawS. You might not have luggages but you have SuitcaseS,bottleS, pillowS, clotheS, and so on and so forth.

"A lego" is not some generic, nonspecifc term. It refers to a very specific product from a company.

Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    I always assumed it stayed the same when plural, like Deer or Sheep.

I used to play with my Lego when I was younger, meaning the whole lot, not just one piece.
    Phrasing it that way makes you sound like you had a sad childhood where you owned a single lego brick and played with that.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    And I is from Ingvar, lel. The company itself insists that its name should be pronounced as ee-kay-uh in English, but...
    I'd say it's their fault for putting out commercials where the people pronounce it as Eye-Kee-uh.

“The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    And again, from the same article:
    I'll give you that.

If you want to go by how the company wants to see it printed...nobody in this thread is using it "correctly" .

Gotta be printed in all capital letters according to the company.
    I posted this earlier, and I agree.

It's hard to capitalize letters when saying LEGO or LEGOs though, so arguing about all capitals or not is also being a bit pedantic. Many cultures would be shouting the brand name if we were to put emphasis on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLover View Post
    This. You don't say moneys or furnitures (or if you do, that's also incorrect). If you really want an s on there say "LEGO bricks"
    Why say two words when you can just say one?

"Legos." So much quicker.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Rampant Rabbit View Post

It's hard to capitalize letters when saying LEGO or LEGOs though, so arguing about all capitals or not is also being a bit pedantic. Many cultures would be shouting the brand name if we were to put emphasis on that.
    Again, the entire argument is pedantic.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Again, the entire argument is pedantic.
    I forgot to add 'too'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    That really depends on the amount of the legos kids are playing with. One is a lego...more than one are legos.
    No that is wrong

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I am an American ... I have always said lego ... legos sounds so wrong. it is like saying Pokémons ... it's wrong!
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

But the company may specify how it likes to see the trade name used in print
    A company can specify what it likes 'til they're blue in the face. That doesn't make it correct.

You don't get to redefine grammatical rules just because you own a trademark.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Why say two words when you can just say one?

"Legos." So much quicker.
    Doesn't mean it's right

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    I'm from the UK and now that you mentioned it. I think everyone does that here too.
    People in the UK say Legos? I've never heard that?

IDC about Lego, but the way many people pronounce IKEA triggers me a lot. It's ee-kay-uh and not eye-kee-ah >_>

I mean I'm not trying to correct people IRL when I hear eye-kee-ah, but my eye starts twitching...
    "If it was supposed to be pronounced ee-kay-uh they should have called it EKAYUH not IKEA" - Americans
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

I forgot to add 'too'.
    Funny how the guy that insists we must go by the usage dictated by the company is the one that's arguing about something being "too pedantic"

because lego being the plural of lego is stupid.

legos sounds better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sails View Post
    Doesn't mean it's right
    Well one of the beautiful things about language is that when the "right" thing sounds stupid you can change it.

Hence, "Legos."

You don't look at a lot full of Ford Automobiles and go "wow look at all the Ford!" But you can point at ONE ford car and go "that's a Ford."

Hence: You don't look at a floor full of Lego bricks and go "wow look at all the lego!" But you can point at ONE Lego brick and go "that's a lego."
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    And I is from Ingvar, lel. The company itself insists that its name should be pronounced as ee-kay-uh in English, but...
    The A in Abba stands for absolutely awful.

Funny how the guy that insists we must go by the usage dictated by the company is the one that's arguing about something being "too pedantic"
    I'm hardly using their word as my argument. It just so happens to be that the company that creates and sells LEGO has the same idea about this as me.

To clarify, I never felt the need to Google what the right way to refer to multiple LEGO pieces is. It has simply been clear to me from the beginning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Well one of the beautiful things about language is that when the "right" thing sounds stupid you can change it.

Hence, "Legos."

You don't look at a lot full of Ford Automobiles and go "wow look at all the Ford!" But you can point at ONE ford car and go "that's a Ford."

Hence: You don't look at a floor full of Lego bricks and go "wow look at all the lego!" But you can point at ONE Lego brick and go "that's a lego."
    Legos sounds stupid though. No I say look at all the Lego Bricks. Like most of the world

Quote Originally Posted by Sails View Post
    Legos sounds stupid though. No I say look at all the Lego Bricks. Like most of the world
    The word 'Legos' reminds me of all the useless gear you can buy from Teleshopping and Infomercials.