Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Which does not support the outrageous prediction he made. That image clearly shows plenty of ice still present in the North pole. And ice thickness in Antarctica has actually got thicker. I mean, I am not saying man made climate change is non existent. But I do not think it is as severe as many think. Water, ground and air pollution is far worse of a issue.

I think -25 C is the worst it's ever been where I live (middle of Sweden, close to Norwegian border), coldest this year has been about -20 C. Wear appropriate clothing and it's mostly fine, wearing something for your face is probably a good idea too - the cold air can mess with your eyes or nose a bit.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

It’s.... whatever, you just deal with it and be miserable most of the time. Having been born and raised in Wyoming it’s not the cold I hate but the wind that makes 30 degrees (Fahrenheit, fuck off with your Celsius) feel like -5.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Which does not support the outrageous prediction he made. That image clearly shows plenty of ice still present in the North pole. And ice thickness in Antarctica has actually got thicker. I mean, I am not saying man made climate change is non existent. But I do not think it is as severe as many think. Water, ground and air pollution is far worse of a issue.
    I mean, I'm also not saying that weather equals climate, but I am.

Global temperature is still up, despite an erratic cold blast in North America. Oh wait, that's one of the predictions of climate change: increasingly erratic weather.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I think -25 C is the worst it's ever been where I live (middle of Sweden, close to Norwegian border), coldest this year has been about -20 C. Wear appropriate clothing and it's mostly fine, wearing something for your face is probably a good idea too - the cold air can mess with your eyes or nose a bit.
    That's not fair. You're so much further north than I am. It's currently -26C here.

I'm afraid my pipes are going to freeze again.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Coldest I ever experienced was -38 F (-39 C) in upstate New York. Fortunately there was no wind.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, I'm also not saying that weather equals climate, but I am.

Global temperature is still up, despite an erratic cold blast in North America. Oh wait, that's one of the predictions of climate change: increasingly erratic weather.

- - - Updated - - -
    Which has been going on long before ether of us was born. The last mini ice age and the subsequent warming happen in the early 1600's. For a period of 40 years, it had a much more rapid warming period than what we have experienced the last several decades. And yes, it will continue to fluctuate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Minnesotan here- Well I have to jump start my 97' grand prix every other day because the battery's too cold, my bedroom is 10 degrees colder than the rest of the house for who knows what fucking reason, I work in an open air feed mill all day in -20 below for just enough money to put food on the table, and going to the grocery store after dark is potentially a life-threatening journey. The worst part though, my neighbors down the street have the audacity to leave their dog outside 24/7 in this cold. I'm thinking about reporting them to the Sheriffs office.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been pretty cold in Illinois...pretty much just turn up the heat and that's it.

That's not fair. You're so much further north than I am. It's currently -26C here.

I'm afraid my pipes are going to freeze again.
    Been an unusually warm winter this year. Barely any snow, and I think this was our greenest christmas/yule yet. I'm guessing you live on the coast?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Which has been going on long before ether of us was born. The last mini ice age and the subsequent warming happen in the early 1600's. For a period of 40 years, it had a much more rapid warming period than what we have experienced the last several decades. And yes, it will continue to fluctuate.
    That's a complicated issue. There's a lot of literature about it if you care to search. I'm out of time. It's New Year's Eve Day, and I have a bar to open.

Dress warm and it's all good.

Been an unusually warm winter this year. Barely any snow, and I think this was our greenest christmas/yule yet. I'm guessing you live on the coast?
    No, the US. I'm at about 45N lattitude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, the states here can have milder temps close to the coast. It is normally the states inland, with no ocean coasts, which have the colder temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    Minnesotan here- Well I have to jump start my 97' grand prix every other day because the battery's too cold, my bedroom is 10 degrees colder than the rest of the house for who knows what fucking reason, I work in an open air feed mill all day in -20 below for just enough money to put food on the table, and going to the grocery store after dark is potentially a life-threatening journey. The worst part though, my neighbors down the street have the audacity to leave their dog outside 24/7 in this cold. I'm thinking about reporting them to the Sheriffs office.

You make your food provosion for the week end.
    You start your car once a day so It will always start
    Wear wool socks in the house
    Use your fireplace if you have one ( pretty usefull)

I used to work outside with temperature around minus 30/35 celsius (minus 22 /31 fah)
    If you need to go outside, put some extra cloth and two pair of pants, cover your face. If you're born in those place, in perfectly normal.

I just wonder why they are making all this bullcrap about the current cold weather in december/january, it's winter you know.
    It's just because it's hitting populate area Or if you're an immigrant from warm place, it's going to hit you right in the face
    I used to live in a small village 3000 people (only 1 hour drive from Montreal, a populate area) the temparature ALWAYS hit minus 30 cel during the day and minus 40 cel during the night (at least) in winter time.

The only problem I see is car battery ( if you have a 4 cyl) and mechanics difficulties if you work on a construction site ( diesel trucks and frozen pipes)
    Contruction site are usually close to avoid mechanic problems.

Town or village are not paralysed during extreme cold, perhap they will close some schoolS the real problem its the snow, in the country it's not so bad because you can dump the snow wherever you want, but in city, you can't dispose of the white shit wherever you want.

Look what happen and see what the dammage of one snowstorm and incomptence can cause http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...-into-a-fiasco

No, the US. I'm at about 45N lattitude.
    Oh, haha. That much further south huh.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2017-12-31 at 04:24 PM.

Oh, haha. That much further south huh.
    Europe is unusually warm for its latitude. This has traditionally been ascribed to the warming effect of the Gulf Stream, but simulations have shown it's more due to the Rocky Mountains in North America. These mountains perturb the global midlatitude circulation so it dives more to the south over North America, then swings more toward the north as it approaches Europe.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    It’s.... whatever, you just deal with it and be miserable most of the time. Having been born and raised in Wyoming it’s not the cold I hate but the wind that makes 30 degrees (Fahrenheit, fuck off with your Celsius) feel like -5.
    F(ake) degrees vs C(orrect) degrees. I wonder which one to use.

It helps us in Northern-Europe that Gulf Stream heats up the temperatures quite a bit. Without it we'd have similar temperatures to Alaska or Siberia. So far this year it has been very mild in Europe indeed. Worst we had has been like -15 on christmas eve. It was a bit worse up north in Lapland.

I don't mind the cold. It's the snow I don't like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Quite delightful. I lived in Wisconsin all my life so I know nothing else. I feel bad for those who don't get to experience all the ups and downs of 4 seasons. It builds character.
    That makes no sense.