Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it possible someone can get through a MAC block?

Curious because I blacklisted the MAC address to an Xbox and a Laptop from accessing my Wifi. I could turn the Wifi completely off, but then devices that I want to have access to the internet connection wouldn't be able to connect. My uncle told me once I have the MAC address, changing IPs on the unwanted devices will still not be able to gain access to the Wifi. So how exactly would someone go about bypassing a MAC address block?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If they spoof a mac address they could conceivably bypass your block, but the average gamer likely won't be doing that.
    From what I was told, this person "hacked" my PC and also changed the IP addresses to the devices I want blocked from my WiFi. But I'm not so sure my PC was hacked, unless I'm dealing with a 13 year old computer genius. MAYBE somehow this kid figured out my router login info, which I just changed, but when I went into the router settings nothing was changed. The MAC addresses were still there in the blacklist.

It doesn't take a genius to hack the majority of people's home computers... Their security is just that bad.
    Okay. Guess my next question would be, how would I find out if my PC was hacked between the hours of 9AM and 8PM today? Is it even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    Okay. Guess my next question would be, how would I find out if my PC was hacked between the hours of 9AM and 8PM today? Is it even possible?
    Honestly if it was some randomer on the internet saying they are going to hack you, just ignore it. If it was anything else, you can likely contact the police/your ISP at least.

Check your router logs. It may show access from an IP you don't recognize.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    Check your router logs. It may show access from an IP you don't recognize.
    It's only showing logs from when I logged into the router at 8PM today.. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing.

1)Change the password to the router to something other than the default. Reboot router.
    2)Turn off remote access to the router if its turned on.
    3)Change the SSID and password of the WIFI network. (Yes every device you want on WIFI will need to be changed).
    4)See if the devices you don't want are still connected.
    5)You could set the router to only pass network traffic to the MAC addresses you want on the network. (Over kill really)

(Make sure you are saving the settings at the bottom on the page in the router...)

10+ Year Old Account
    Why exactly do you suspect it has been hacked?
    This.

What is the situation, and what makes you think something has changed? You said you "blacklisted an XBox and LAptop" from your wifi.. That means there is an xbox or laptop literally within eyesight range of you that you've blocked. Is there a kid in your driveway, with a laptop? I'm a bit confused, and I feel like either this isn't the entire story, or you're confused too (which we can help with!)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    1)Change the password to the router to something other than the default. Reboot router.
    2)Turn off remote access to the router if its turned on.
    3)Change the SSID and password of the WIFI network. (Yes every device you want on WIFI will need to be changed).
    4)See if the devices you don't want are still connected.
    5)You could set the router to only pass network traffic to the MAC addresses you want on the network. (Over kill really)

(Make sure you are saving the settings at the bottom on the page in the router...)
    Looked through all the settings in my router, don't see any thing related to remote access.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    Looked through all the settings in my router, don't see any thing related to remote access.
    What router is this?

What router is this?
    I believe an Arris TG1682 it's from my cable company, Spectrum. I clicked through every single button in the router page and saw nothing related to remote access.

Deleted
    Is it possible someone can get through a MAC block?
    Yes they simply change the MAC address of their system.

From what I was told, this person "hacked" my PC and also changed the IP addresses to the devices I want blocked from my WiFi.
    He (allegedly) changed what now?

Why exactly do you suspect it has been hacked?
    THIS. Why don't you explain what exactly happened - this would go a long way in helping us help you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Wild solution here; Use a whitelist instead..
    An attacker could still use the MAC address of one of the allowed devices while it is turned off. If that device is still active it'll probably cause chaos for both devices.

Also some authorized devices that use MAC address randomization for privacy reasons, will no longer be able to connect.

change wifi password first, if they are still connecting.. uh.. stop writing your password on sticky notes that your neighbour can see?

without knowing what the situation actually is, this is kinda guess work.

Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    An attacker could still use the MAC address of one of the allowed devices while it is turned off. If that device is still active it'll probably cause chaos for both devices.

Also some authorized devices that use MAC address randomization for privacy reasons, will no longer be able to connect.
    They would have to know the MAC addresses in the white list. If some one has access to that, you have much much much bigger problems with your network security.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    They would have to know the MAC addresses in the white list. If some one has access to that, you have much much much bigger problems with your network security.
    They don't need access to the list. They will see the MAC addresses of the devices that are currently sending on the WiFi network as they are not encrypted and can spoof one of those.
    MAC filtering might be a deterrent for people who casually try if they can connect to a wifi network, for a dedicated attacker not so much.
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2017-12-31 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    They don't need access to the list. They will see the MAC addresses of the devices that are currently sending on the WiFi network as they are not encrypted and can spoof one of those.
    MAC filtering might be a deterrent for people who casually try if they can connect to a wifi network, for a dedicated attacker not so much.
    Its why you change the whole ssid, password, etc. Honestly if its a neighbor that keeps doing it.. They should call the cops and report them.

Deleted
    Its why you change the whole ssid, password, etc. Honestly if its a neighbor that keeps doing it.. They should call the cops and report them.
    Absolutely. Just pointing out that MAC filtering is not that good a security measure some people make it out to be. Similar to changing/hiding the SSID and as for the password you'd have to know how it was broken/compromised otherwise changing it won't accomplish much either.

Also it has been asked multiple times what exactly the OP encountered and/or is trying to achieve - no reply so far.

I'm gonna be the fourth to say: OP, give us a very detailed (pretend we know nothing) post of what the problem you're having is.

Change the SSID
    Change the password
    Disable SSID broadcasting.
    Whitelist only your own devices.

Also, at some point... get your own router...and modem... A lot of times those Provider-issued routers/modems have back doors so the ISP can always access them, and an attacker can gain admin-level firmware access to the device. This is particularly common for the combo modem/router gateways. Even if that isnt the case, because they are SO commonly deployed, ways to break into them are frequently widely known anyway.

Not to mention youll save yourself some decent coin over the life of a modem. I replaced my modem with a Netgear CM400 (about 40$ on sale frequently and only ~70 at most places even when not) - paid for itself in 4 months. And my connection is much more stable. The shitty Motorola Surfboard thing Comcast uses would disconnect a couple of times a day. Of course Comcast wouldnt believe it was a problem on their end. Havent had a single dropped connection since, other than thise caused by area outtages.

I also got a Netgear Nighthawk (the original R700 model), and set my two primary SSIDs to not broadcast, and only allow the slow (2.4ghz band) Guest SSID to broadcast and limit it to 5Gbps down and 2Gbps up.

Edit:

And if it keeps up... call the cops.