Thread: Thunderfury!

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Thunderfury!

I'm so curious. I never got to play in vanilla and was only able to level to 60 before nost pulled the plug on elysium. How were thunderfury's handled in raiding guilds? Did guilds never stop farming molten core? Was it always a main tank item? Did they distribute it by rolls? Im so curious about it and excited to see all the drama plays out when classic rolls around. If you have an old experience or a private server experience with forging one please share bellow!!

P.S. I realize there is no way to know if people are lying/trolling but ill take what I can get. Try to be honest!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilkarik View Post
    I'm so curious. I never got to play in vanilla and was only able to level to 60 before nost pulled the plug on elysium. How were thunderfury's handled in raiding guilds? Did guilds never stop farming molten core? Was it always a main tank item? Did they distribute it by rolls? Im so curious about it and excited to see all the drama plays out when classic rolls around. If you have an old experience or a private server experience with forging one please share bellow!!

P.S. I realize there is no way to know if people are lying/trolling but ill take what I can get. Try to be honest!
    It was honestly just given to those that had the best track record with the guild. Usually even going to the Guild Master to ensure it didn't get poached out.
    Rolling was rarely done.
    In my guild it was given to the guilds Main Tank, incidentally the GM's girlfriend. Schnuggi, the pink haired gnome warrior.

Our guild is just going to do a /roll for it.

Ain't the end of the world if we get a loot n scooter. I mean we won't be happy but we don't need it to clear the raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Our guild is just going to do a /roll for it.

Ain't the end of the world if we get a loot n scooter. I mean we won't be happy but we don't need it to clear the raids.
    sounds pretty blasé.
    Did you guys play then?
    The amount of effort into farming arcane crystals and thorium when veins were shared across everyone( leaving them to be poached by farmbots and rogues that CC'd you).

It's a monumental amount of cash and time that goes into it, considering that 60% mount was the norm, and 100 was for the dedicated. Farming was pretty slow for that part alone, not to mention getting both bindings...

Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    sounds pretty blasé.
    Did you guys play then?
    The amount of effort into farming arcane crystals and thorium when veins were shared across everyone( leaving them to be poached by farmbots and rogues that CC'd you).

It's a monumental amount of cash and time that goes into it, considering that 60% mount was the norm, and 100 was for the dedicated. Farming was pretty slow for that part alone, not to mention getting both bindings...
    Nope. Well couple of my friends did but we have a huge bunch of people on live who are intending to play. Whoever gets the first Binding through /roll we are just going to give them the other. And we will be helping them get the mats.

We aren't playing to rush through it. We are playing to chill when we are done with stuff on retail for the day.

Typically it will go to a tank, because that is where it can find the most use.

But certainly only someone who is invested in the guild enough to deserve it.

Deleted
    It was honestly just given to those that had the best track record with the guild. Usually even going to the Guild Master to ensure it didn't get poached out.
    Rolling was rarely done.
    In my guild it was given to the guilds Main Tank, incidentally the GM's girlfriend. Schnuggi, the pink haired gnome warrior.
    Besides the pink haired gnome part that was pretty much the usual case as far as I remember. We gave our first one to our MT back then because the procc was so extremely good and the moment he realized he might be the first one, he moved heaven and hell to gather all the components for the quest. I wish we would have ever managed to get another one. In the end we had 2 rogues and 1 warrior, each with Gar's bindings, but the one off Geddon never dropped again.. The first was decided, the other ones were given auctioned off with DKP and the promise to get the other binding in order of acquiring it. The MC even asked for most of his DKP to be voided, but that didn't really matter much anyway. The MT got most of his loot for a pittance anyway. The others that never finished it made kind of a bad deal tbh.

Nope. Well couple of my friends did but we have a huge bunch of people on live who are intending to play. Whoever gets the first Binding through /roll we are just going to give them the other. And we will be helping them get the mats.

We aren't playing to rush through it. We are playing to chill when we are done with stuff on retail for the day.
    You may come to change your mind when you notice how significant the time investment in it is.
    They were monumental time sinks. Drop rates for Arcane Crystal were abysmal, not to mention the bindings themselves.

You may come to change your mind when you notice how significant the time investment in it is.
    They were monumental time sinks. Drop rates for Arcane Crystal were abysmal, not to mention the bindings themselves.
    Nope. As I said we aren't playing because of the time investment. Just for fun.

I've played MMOs that required far more time invested as well.

I get where you're coming from and hope everyone is on the same page because eventually fun = efficiency, which is pretty much the state WoW is in right now.

OP, Thunderfury is generally a tank item since it adds so much to AoE threat. Guilds with characters that had it used it up to Black Temple for trash tanking since threat was such a big deal.

Otherwise it normally went to a rogue. Huge DPS increase for them and they were pretty much the only melee dps you'd have.

Which isn't to say that you couldn't or wouldn't have a fury or arms warrior or enhancement shaman, just that they were rather rare and normally would use an extremely slow 2-hander to maximize their damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    I get where you're coming from and hope everyone is on the same page because eventually fun = efficiency, which is pretty much the state WoW is in right now.

OP, Thunderfury is generally a tank item since it adds so much to AoE threat. Guilds with characters that had it used it up to Black Temple for trash tanking since threat was such a big deal.

Otherwise it normally went to a rogue. Huge DPS increase for them and they were pretty much the only melee dps you'd have.

Which isn't to say that you couldn't or wouldn't have a fury or arms warrior or enhancement shaman, just that they were rather rare and normally would use an extremely slow 2-hander to maximize their damage.
    Well right now at least 31 of us are making this guild.

Hoping to get 40 or more at least.

Hell we want to get bigger and have like a smaller raid team for stuff like Ruins and Zul'gurub. We know people from other guilds/games who are playing and it's just about convincing them.

I have done my research and I know what Thunderfury is strong for and whatnot. But we all agreed on that's how we handle the legendary. /Roll for first binding and then whoever wins it gets the second one to make it easier.

With Sulfuras well we are hoping some people will have the hammer sorted before we see an eye drop. If an eye drops first then again /roll.

As for Atiesh this is an interesting one. We are still deciding on what to do with it. Only thing we come up with so far is whoever wins the first splinter we get the rest for them. Only one idea we have at the moment.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-01-01 at 07:32 PM.

Back in the day when the bindings first started dropping, people had no clue what item it rewarded. So in early vanilla you would see paladins with thunderfury and generally they were given out to guildmasters/trusted guildies. Its role as the best tanking weapon in the game was not discovered until later in vanilla, and after that more and more thunderfurys went to the main tank. In "modern" vanilla its pretty much only given to tanks, since the benefit of more tank threat outweighs any DPS benefit any rogue could get from the item.

1. Main tank
    2. Off tank
    3. 3rd tank
    4. If there are 4, 4th tank.

Particularly hardcore guilds may level up alts in order to run 2+ MC runs every week. Another option is to spread the tanks into guild organized pugs with Bindings reserves by the guild. Even without alts, it's a simple task to make 3 MC runs with 15 guild members each then add the Pugs. Have the MC occur same time every week and build a reputation of very high success rate and fair loot distribution.

When your tanks have the Sword, which is unlikely to happen. You can start handing it out to other people, and it's not a very good 1H for a rogue. Sure, at the MC and BWL level, it's a solid cut above the rest. But it's not particularly useful AQ40 and onward, it's quite the fast weapon and the DPS is barely competitive with Onyxia 1H weapons. If you got the sword on 4 warriors, you start handing them out to whomever can stomach the insane price.

In my guild on a private server. Only a single person wanted the Sulfuron hammer, due to how expensive it is to craft and that is still half the price of the Thunderfury. The 2H is not very useful for PVE, so there was no organized guild effort to have it crafted. At least with Thunderfury, the 2500-3500 gold cost is split 40 ways.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

Quote Originally Posted by MMKing View Post
    1. Main tank
    2. Off tank
    3. 3rd tank
    4. If there are 4, 4th tank.

Particularly hardcore guilds may level up alts in order to run 2+ MC runs every week. Another option is to spread the tanks into guild organized pugs with Bindings reserves by the guild. Even without alts, it's a simple task to make 3 MC runs with 15 guild members each then add the Pugs. Have the MC occur same time every week and build a reputation of very high success rate and fair loot distribution.

When your tanks have the Sword, which is unlikely to happen. You can start handing it out to other people, and it's not a very good 1H for a rogue. Sure, at the MC and BWL level, it's a solid cut above the rest. But it's not particularly useful AQ40 and onward, it's quite the fast weapon and the DPS is barely competitive with Onyxia 1H weapons. If you got the sword on 4 warriors, you start handing them out to whomever can stomach the insane price.

In my guild on a private server. Only a single person wanted the Sulfuron hammer, due to how expensive it is to craft and that is still half the price of the Thunderfury. The 2H is not very useful for PVE, so there was no organized guild effort to have it crafted. At least with Thunderfury, the 2500-3500 gold cost is split 40 ways.
    Yo all of this sounds amazing and is the kind of response I was looking for. Thank you so much!

Yeah pretty much what MMKing said. As much as I hate the thought of a weapon going to a Tank over DPS... Thunderfury is a tank weapon. It's too fast for a Rogue to be useful and is basically perfect for a Tank (Warrior, obviously).

15+ Year Old Account
    It went to our main tank and we had the first on the server due to all the good guilds getting screwed on the boss drops and us getting super lucky and getting both bindings by our 6th clear. As soon as it was done he got poached by one of the top guilds on our server and we never saw him again.

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Yeah pretty much what MMKing said. As much as I hate the thought of a weapon going to a Tank over DPS... Thunderfury is a tank weapon. It's too fast for a Rogue to be useful and is basically perfect for a Tank (Warrior, obviously).
    Pvp was a different story. A rogue with TF was an absolute nightmare to come across. My server had one on horde side, what made it worse was he was an extremely good rogue even before he completed it.

Even without knowing what games you played, I can safely say...you really haven't

Talking casually about TF...Assuming Blizzard doesn't change much, some people are in for a really rude awakening, when they go to check out vanilla I'm highly certain that vast majority of people won't even step foot into any of the raids, IF everything will be the way it was back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by evogsr View Post
    Pvp was a different story. A rogue with TF was an absolute nightmare to come across. My server had one on horde side, what made it worse was he was an extremely good rogue even before he completed it.
    Said Rogue would have done more damage with a slower weapon in the MH (assuming Combat Sword?) (e: I just mindfarted and assumed that rogue had it in MH, ignore if he had it in OH *shrug*), but Evisc (main source of burst) didn't scale with weapons either way, so he could have been using a vendor item and still kill people.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2018-01-02 at 02:50 AM.