Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why does it matter when you start drinking?

Why does it matter what time of the day you start drinking? So many people say that if you start drinking before noon you are an alcoholic. But I mean if you aren't going anywhere that day why is it a problem to start drinking?

Why is this argument not applied to people who smoke cigarettes early in the morning?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Why does it matter what time of the day you start drinking? So many people say that if you start drinking before noon you are an alcoholic. But I mean if you aren't going anywhere that day why is it a problem to start drinking?

Why is this argument not applied to people who smoke cigarettes early in the morning?
    cigarettes don't significantly alter one's mental state, at least not like alcohol does.

People generally expect other people to be functional during daylight hours in case they need to drive somewhere or do things that require attention and cognition.

Alcohol impedes those things.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Pretty sure people that start with a cig in the morning are considered addicted to smoking.. just as you are addicted to alcohol (aka alcoholic) if you swing down a shot of vodka when you get out of bed...

You sound like a alcoholic, making the same excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    People generally expect other people to be functional during daylight hours.
    End of thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    You sound like a alcoholic, making the same excuses.
    I actually don't drink.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I actually don't drink.
    Then why do you care?

Then why do you care?
    general curiosity. Why do you care about how many threads people make?

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ads-per-person

- - - Updated - - -

cigarettes don't significantly alter one's mental state, at least not like alcohol does.

People generally expect other people to be functional during daylight hours in case they need to drive somewhere or do things that require attention and cognition.

Alcohol impedes those things.
    What if that person works midnight shift and is just getting off of work?

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account

And what if something happens in the day they have to attend to?

"sorry I can't pick up X, Y or Z at one in the afternoon; I've had like five beers."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

general curiosity. Why do you care about how many threads people make?

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ads-per-person
    I'm not gonna justify to someone that causes that complaint. Stop looking at my past and focus on your problems.

And what if something happens in the day they have to attend to?

"sorry I can't pick up X, Y or Z at one in the afternoon; I've had like five beers."
    So people working midnights obviously can't drink in the evening before they goto work and they aren't allowed to have a drink after they get off work either?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not gonna justify to someone that causes that complaint. Stop looking at my past and focus on your problems.
    I haven't had a drink in 20 years. You're the one who is worried about how many posts people make on a discussion forum.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

If an individual sleeps during the day, and is awake during the night as a result of their work schedule, I would assume that's an exception. The point is not being intoxicated during whatever part of the day you're expected to be functional.

Probably because cigarettes don't get you intoxicated.

10+ Year Old Account
    So people working midnights obviously can't drink in the evening before they goto work and they aren't allowed to have a drink after they get off work either?
    They can expect to be judged initially on their drinking as if they were alcoholics because not many people work red eye graveyard shifts.

You come to the door to sign for a delivery half wasted? Yeah, that delivery person is probably going to think you're an alcoholic, because people that are drunk at 1 in the afternoon are usually reliant upon alcohol to help cope with some form of depression.

You're citing some fringe scenario and saying "shouldn't we just assume that day drinkers are all red-eye graveyard shift workers who have to work extreme night shifts?" when it's usually more accurate to say "that person is an alcoholic."
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Negative stigma is really all it is. There’s no physical difference between day and night drinking. I suppose people think you should be waiting till the day ends (work) so you’re not impaired when you’re doing majority of your daily activities.
    Also presuming you keep normal hours if you wake up and drink it might mean you can't wait until the evening due to withdrawals.

I don't see the harm if someone wants a drink in the morning as a one off,

But during uni when I had exams back to back every day for three weeks I'd go to the pub for a decent breakfast before heading up, and you'd see the same people in there at 8am having a pint or 10.

That being said, I'd make the same point to highlight you go in at night and see the same people drinking constantly

if I want I take a shot the moment I get out of bed. cuz why not.

You come to the door to sign for a delivery half wasted? Yeah, that delivery person is probably going to think you're an alcoholic, because people that are drunk at 1 in the afternoon are usually reliant upon alcohol to help cope with some form of depression.
    Ironically, alcohol actually causes depression, anxiety, and insomnia. The three most likely conditions a person will use alcohol to self-medicate.

I work in an industry of heavy drinkers. I often have employees come in left-over drunk. I'm fine with that, get some water, some coffee, some tea, whatever. What I'm not fine with is if they continue drinking during the shift. Dangerous to themsleves and to others.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    A couple reasons.

1) It pretty much indicates you don't give a crap about your life, if you literally 'have nothing going on' an entire day. Most functional people don't have enough time in the day to get everything done, any day. If you have nothing going on, what does that say about you?
    2) If you start drinking early, it also is sort of an assumption that you 'need' to drink/get drunk, rather than just want to, or do so socially. Why are you getting drunk? Usually it's some form of escape.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Is it alright to drink a 6AM if you started at 11 the night before?
    Perfectly viable.