Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post

Never ever going to happen, not ever.
    Let me guess you're an insurance salesman or someone who is involved with that?

Just like Netflix destroyed Blockbuster the fully automated vehicle will destroy the auto insurance industry.

Can't wait for this to become a partisan issue. We'll have a new pointless online pissing match to pour thousands of hours into. I'm guessing one side will be "rights! tyranny!" and the other will be "but the death toll/why can't you just use an autocar?".

But yes, it's probably inevitable. Likely it'll proceed in stages - eg, you can't drive in major cities but you can in the suburbs. Then it'll be no cars in the suburbs but the country gets to keep theirs. I'm already guessing which side of politics each argument will end up on.

In addition to the general road toll, car attacks will likely be one of the catalysts. Big car attacks will create waves of bans in certain areas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    As a technician who works around automated equipment on a daily basis, there is no way in hell I would put my life and the lives of my children in the hands of a machine. One sensor malfunction and things can get really dicey, really quickly.
    How many "sensor malfunctions" do humans have? Not to mention brain malfunctions. We're currently struggling to convince people not to text while driving.

In the US, humans kill something like 40,000 people a year in car accidents. And about 5 million are injured. The automated system doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to beat humans... and that's not really a high bar.

I don't know how you trust your kids in a car driven by a human, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

There is no way to drive a car, which is weighting more than 1 ton and drives at 50+km/h without causing mortal danger to others. The stricter it is regulated, and the less people drive, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    Governments want people to have less freedom of movement within their own country. It's one of the best ways for them to control people.

The goal is to ban cars or make private transportation prohibitively expensive for the common man through large registration fees/toll lanes/per mile tax, ban single family homes or make them prohibitively expensive for the common man via climate change-inspired building/efficiency codes/regs, and get people into stack-and-pack housing.

It's all about control.
    holidays are over, stop rambling off your Christmas wish list.

What happens to all the traffic cameras and traffic cops if this happens? How do local and city governments replace the lost revenue from traffic tickets and parking meters?
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    What happens to all the traffic cameras and traffic cops if this happens? How do local and city governments replace the lost revenue from traffic tickets and parking meters?
    if some people are to be believed it will be through taxing the ever loving shit out of you for breathing! but seriously that does make me think how certain cities are going to gouge their drivers when automation gets more widespread.

Driver less cars will be the norm and your kids will not care about driving because that would be something old and eccentric people are into. The government won't have to lift a finger, I am sure some crazy guy in the 18th century wrote something like this about horses

I don't think the "War on Driving" will come from the government... but the insurance rates.

You want that fancy red sports car ? You can have it.... but be prepared to pay extra on your rates.

You want to drive your car manually ? Go crazy... but you're going to be paying thru the nose compared to someone that chooses to rely on the safety options.

And much like seatbelts, I think once this has saturated enough, the "public" will demand that everyone be legally obligated to... cuz having manual drivers "raises my rates!".

The OP is right, we should continue to allow 40,000 (in 2017) Americans to die every year so that they can hold their dick and wave a gun around and yell 'Freedom!'.

Only the most cynical, callous, un-Christian, narrow-minded, fool would argue against a driving ban in some future date if it would prevent hundreds of thousand of people from dying each decade. To all these morons, I promise you you would sing a different tune if your daughter, or father, or best friend, etc, was killed by a drunk driver, or worse yet, for no reason at all aside from the gross incompetence of the typical driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    holidays are over, stop rambling off your Christmas wish list.
    It’s yours mang. SCAG and Sandbag and other orgs in California are trying to make it happen as we speak

Deleted
    I expect "Driving your own car is Racist" to start up soon like every other talkpoint on the left.

Personally I don't see the problem with having both.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Driver less cars will be the norm and your kids will not care about driving because that would be something old and eccentric people are into. The government won't have to lift a finger, I am sure some crazy guy in the 18th century wrote something like this about horses
    Well, if they can come up with a faster way to travel and just as convenient as cars, then it would be a good point. But horses are still used for many different ways to travel. Esp. in the west, when they can transverse terrain motorized vehicles can not.

What war? That is the future. People that don't want it don't matter.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Good, the sooner the better.
    It might happen sooner in a small country like Denmark. But even there, I would not place any large amounts of money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    It’s yours mang. SCAG and Sandbag and other orgs in California are trying to make it happen as we speak
    I’m sure the comment section of the Drudge Report has all the evidence to back this claim up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Well, if they can come up with a faster way to travel and just as convenient as cars, then it would be a good point. But horses are still used for many different ways to travel. Esp. in the west, when they can transverse terrain motorized vehicles can not.
    You got my point though technology that some people are resisting now will be normal for their children double for their grandchildren. I don't think driving going away is a bad thing god knows we humans have proven that we suck at it.

If they could make traffic as effective as say, an ant trail, then I'd be all for it. I don't need to drive. Traffic is a nightmare because of the human element, after all. Just look at all those Russian car accident videos...

Pleasure driving could be done on tracks.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I feel like it's more likely there will be a mandatory 'emergency take-over' setting in the car that's designed only to work in preventing collisions and other accidents for people who don't want to switch to self-driving cars and enhanced roads.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Self-driving will be banned on public streets. It will become a hobby that's legal on private roadways.

Get ready.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure it's hard to implement regular Intelligence into a bike driver, but that's just my observation.
    So much this ^

Some of the dumbest arrogant drivers I met were motorcycle drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Let me guess you're an insurance salesman or someone who is involved with that?

Just like Netflix destroyed Blockbuster the fully automated vehicle will destroy the auto insurance industry.
    Nope, just a realist. Autonomous vehicles are no deterrent to theft, and a multi-billion / year industry is not going to simply allow for revenue to disappear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Good, the sooner the better.
    You can stop driving any time you like, immediately.