10+ Year Old Account

Original Xbox 360 disc drive troubleshooting

Hey guys, wondering if you guys have any ideas why my disc drive on my Xbox 360 won't open.

Here's a description of what I'm seeing:

Pressing eject button causes drive to make a sound but it does not move at all.
    It sounds like its trying to open, a loud whirring sound.
    I've attempted the method on xbox live support using a paper clip to open the tray but I cant get it to open. I can't tell if I'm doing it right.

When I took the drive apart there was very little dust build up, but I cleaned it out anyways. I don't know the names of the parts of the drive so bare with me here: With the drive enclosure off, I used a screwdriver to gently move the part that slides left and right to lower the laser and disc holder to allow the tray to slide. It moves left and drops the drive, but then it takes quite a bit of force to get the tray to slide out. I think it's getting stuck at this stage.

I'd like to put up a video showing what I'm seeing but I don't have time at the moment.

I'm wondering if it's just the band that drives the tray slipping, or if it's getting stuck somehow and the band just doesn't have the grip to force it open.

Ok sounds like the same issue I am having with mine so try this.

1) Use a butter knife (or something like it) and push down on the tray when trying to open it.
    2) If you are able to get it to open leave a disk you give no fuck's about in the tray. For whatever reason mine will open normal as long as a disk is in the tray.

Sounds like a tooth on the track may be broke. I assume this 360 is the older white model?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ok sounds like the same issue I am having with mine so try this.

1) Use a butter knife (or something like it) and push down on the tray when trying to open it.
    2) If you are able to get it to open leave a disk you give no fuck's about in the tray. For whatever reason mine will open normal as long as a disk is in the tray.

Sounds like a tooth on the track may be broke. I assume this 360 is the older white model?
    Dude that worked perfectly. I actually just saw this mentioned in a comment on youtube as well so I finally got the manual opening trick to work, put a disc in, and now it works every time!

Thanks!

And yeah, it's the old white one.

I will say that the teeth on the horizontally sliding piece didn't look right so maybe that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    Dude that worked perfectly. I actually just saw this mentioned in a comment on youtube as well so I finally got the manual opening trick to work, put a disc in, and now it works every time!

Thanks!

And yeah, it's the old white one.

I will say that the teeth on the horizontally sliding piece didn't look right so maybe that was it.
    Happy it worked for ya just remember to always leave a disk in it or you will need a knife again LOL. Lots of games are BC with XboxOne now so u mite want to look into getting one in the future.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Happy it worked for ya just remember to always leave a disk in it or you will need a knife again LOL. Lots of games are BC with XboxOne now so u mite want to look into getting one in the future.
    Yeah I got an Xbox one but none of the games I want to play are backwards compatible