Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I look at my backlog of console games and realize if the industry goes full microtransaction to the point of ruin, I've got a plethora of adventures awaiting, thankfully.
    I could say the same of my Steam backlog, and if shit really hit the fan, I could go console gaming via emulators purely for the "stick it to the man" factor.

I don't mind paying for quality games; I do mind if they try to nickel and dime the shit out of me, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I wasn't discussing the difference between the two, merely that the outcome to an individual teammate is identical. Whether someone is lazy or incompetent, they're both incredibly draining to play with due to forcing others to carry their weight. You disagree with that?
    In this specific context: Yes.
    Why? Because ultimately it's irrelevant whether a dungeon lasts 5 minutes longer or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Why? Because ultimately it's irrelevant whether a dungeon lasts 5 minutes longer or not.
    I don't think Ex Roulette and the like that take 5 minutes longer are draining because they are difficult as much as they are incredibly boring. It likely means a lot of stop and go action, mini-pulls, and perhaps even wipes depending on if it's the tank or healer who are being carried. For DPS doing nothing, it means that those large pulls that would normally just get incinerated by 4 peoples' simultaneous AoE are now 2-3 smaller pulls each taking as long as the much larger pull.

Consider too that 5 minutes is about half the length of a fast Ex dungeon, a 15-20 minute clear is a pretty substantial increase. Right now I guess it doesn't matter too much to me as my raid team has been on break for at least a month and I haven't had a real need for tomestones in far longer than that. However, when we get to the new relic (and I'm sure there will be running of content ad nauseam per the norm) all that's going to add up quickly.
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2018-01-03 at 06:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed, stuff like that only matters when you farm dungeons back to back. If you do one every few days (as most of us are doing now) it's irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    A GM contacted him ingame and asked him about some of the details, but that's about it, nothing else has happened.
    But like Harold stated, cheats isn't anything new, we still have cheats from launch to this day, we have people streaming openly with cheats(camera cheats in particular) and nothing is done about it.

Anyways, i don't know if you know anything about SMN, but take this log for example(completely random, just one i found on fflog's discord)

https://www.fflogs.com/reports/gvZk6...one&source=143

There is something that sticks out, in particular look at how many Ruin IV casts they have compared to the Further ruin buff.
    Basically what is happening is that they are casting Ruin IV outside of further ruin, which shouldn't be happening, it's straight up an exploit, or a cheat if you want to call it that.
    I don't know the details, but it has something to do with server side and user side that let's people cheat like this, something something doesn't register on server side.

If those logs were legit, you would be seeing at most 2-3 casts difference between Ruin IV and further ruin, not over 30.
    There is a ton of people exploiting this, the fanartist in question is what exposed all of this really.
    Ah, I gotcha now. That's definitely not working as intended, based on my whopping hour or so of having played SMN at max level (which, depending on how well BLM gets buffed in 4.2, may change).

- - - Updated - - -

For sure, the thing that tilted me was Aymerics armor. Not only was it already in game, but the version in shop wasn't even improved (i.e. a model made for females, dyeable, and an accompanying sword). It's by and far my favorite look in the game, but not only can I not get it without spending cash, I can't even wear it without spending more cash to fantasia/name change.

Fuck that.
    That's always a huge disappointment, imo, in how they gender-lock the story NPC-based glamours. For something they want as much or more money for than the game box itself (at times), I would think they'd want to reach out to as many players as possible. I suspect there are very few people who are going to dole out cash for a fantasia (and maybe a name change, if needed) just to use a particular glamour. Is it that much of a stretch to ask for, say, female version of the Aymeric outfit, or even a male version of the Y'shtola outfits and so on? Part of why I don't buy them (aside from the Minfilia one that I got 1. on sale and 2. mainly for the hairstyle) is because I'm not a huge fan of that concept, plus the outfits aren't dyeable, which is a huge turn off to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    I don't think Ex Roulette and the like that take 5 minutes longer are draining because they are difficult as much as they are incredibly boring. It likely means a lot of stop and go action, mini-pulls, and perhaps even wipes depending on if it's the tank or healer who are being carried. For DPS doing nothing, it means that those large pulls that would normally just get incinerated by 4 peoples' simultaneous AoE are now 2-3 smaller pulls each taking as long as the much larger pull.

Consider too that 5 minutes is about half the length of a fast Ex dungeon, a 15-20 minute clear is a pretty substantial increase. Right now I guess it doesn't matter too much to me as my raid team has been on break for at least a month and I haven't had a real need for tomestones in far longer than that. However, when we get to the new relic (and I'm sure there will be running of content ad nauseam per the norm) all that's going to add up quickly.
    I'd much rather have a wipe due to pulling a massive pile of mobs and maybe waste a min or two instead of dink-and-dunk one little pull at a time, which would likely end up taking longer than the run that has a single wipe but mass pulls all the things with no problem otherwise.

Oddly enough, I've had people get salty with me in groups over pulling piles of stuff, which is rather hilarious when the healer in the group is on Discord and I'm the tank. Bonus points for when we're ahead of at least one of the dps on the damage meters.

So, noob question time for the umpteenth time from me on here anyways...

The other year I had played FFXIV up to 30, unlocked Ninja, subsequently got kinda bored with Ninja since it was just Thief plus hand seals, and when my time expired I just sorta drifted back to WoW (I think either the expac or a new raid was up).

So now I want to try getting back into FFXIV again since WoW is getting stale being at the end of its expac life, but I've pretty much forgotten...well about everything. But I guess my main question is, I know I need to level and there's apparently a ton of story quests blocking me to the end game; can I get by just running these main series quests? Or do I need to do sidequests as well? Was also interested in this samurai class, granted I don't have any recent expacs for it but what's its base class so I can check it off on my to do list as well for leveling so I can unlock it?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post
    So, noob question time for the umpteenth time from me on here anyways...

The other year I had played FFXIV up to 30, unlocked Ninja, subsequently got kinda bored with Ninja since it was just Thief plus hand seals, and when my time expired I just sorta drifted back to WoW (I think either the expac or a new raid was up).

So now I want to try getting back into FFXIV again since WoW is getting stale being at the end of its expac life, but I've pretty much forgotten...well about everything. But I guess my main question is, I know I need to level and there's apparently a ton of story quests blocking me to the end game; can I get by just running these main series quests? Or do I need to do sidequests as well? Was also interested in this samurai class, granted I don't have any recent expacs for it but what's its base class so I can check it off on my to do list as well for leveling so I can unlock it?
    You'll probably need to supplement your leveling someway, i.e run palace of the dead or do side quests. The MSQ will take care of most of your leveling, tho there will likely be parts that you'll stall on (biggest one is 46-49).

Samurai has no base class, its a job that starts at lvl 50.
    Last edited by Kaelwryn; 2018-01-04 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Samurai has no base class, its a job that starts at lvl 50.
    In order to unlock it you'll have to finish the 2.0 Main Scenario Quest 'The Ultimate Weapon' and have Stormblood added to your account. Then the unlock quest will be available in Ul'dah.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    In order to unlock it you'll have to finish the 2.0 Main Scenario Quest 'The Ultimate Weapon' and have Stormblood added to your account. Then the unlock quest will be available in Ul'dah.
    Incorrect. You just need to be lvl 50 unlock Sam/Rdm, they have no other requirements. Also I figured I didn't need to say they needed stormblood, since their posted implied they knew it was an expac job.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Speaking strictly personally here. Time isn't super important to me, but is a correlating factor. It's really about mutual effort. It's about having a player who is sabotaging my experience, and there's no repercussions because a huge sub-sector of the community has decided that it's ok to be carried and not be responsible for how you interact with other players because we don't want to sabotage THEIR experience. It's a tad hypocritical if you ask me.

In school on a group project if you are incompetent or lazy you not only make others look worse, but you are held accountable for it.
    At work - on a group project ....
    On the road - if you drive like a savage completely disrespecting those around you, you can be held accountable for it.
    In sports - if you're incompetent/lazy...

You see where I'm going? Every other aspect in life follows this trend, except gaming in FF14. Maybe its me being irrational?, but I feel disrespected when people don't respect my effort or time. Maybe I just have a more JP mentality. Just a tad more vocal about it I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I'd much rather have a wipe due to pulling a massive pile of mobs and maybe waste a min or two instead of dink-and-dunk one little pull at a time, which would likely end up taking longer than the run that has a single wipe but mass pulls all the things with no problem otherwise.

Oddly enough, I've had people get salty with me in groups over pulling piles of stuff, which is rather hilarious when the healer in the group is on Discord and I'm the tank. Bonus points for when we're ahead of at least one of the dps on the damage meters.
    Same. I'll never ever yell at someone for trying and failing. I don't tolerate excuses or laziness. If I spent 30 mins in an EX Susano teaching people who wanted to learn that experience is infinitely more valuable to me than farming Susano 8 times in that timeframe.

10+ Year Old Account
    You see where I'm going? Every other aspect in life follows this trend, except gaming in FF14.
    Uuh.... that's why it's ... a ...video game?

As I said: as long as it doesn't hinder a groups success or is flat out AFKing I don't se any real problem. You will encounter incompetent people, you will encounter lazy people.
    You want to avoid that? Simple solution (and what I did in Cataclysm, when a lazy/incompetent person = dungeon not completed): don't go in with randoms.

That' why SE gives you these rewards btw. They know what you will encounter and a BRIBING you to carry their asses.

Don't get me wrong: I don't like it either but that is what MMOs are. The masses are incompetent. Players like you and me that want to perform well and honor the groups time are a pretty small minority. Most just want to mash some buttons, have a little fun (don't ask me how they have fun while gimping, I certainly can't b/c I'm too busy beating myself up about it and trying to improve) before they turn back to a demanding real life.

On a personal note:
    The "having fun while gimping" is also a HUGE problem when I play my flute. I am inexperienced (1.5 years of playing now) I make many mistakes etc. Sooo hard to have "fun" with my inability. Everyone always tells me to relax and take it easy, yet I can't when I have the feeling of "not being functional". I don't know how they do it. Doubt I will ever know.

So a year later and I’m finally back in floor 150+ in PotD. Cleared 151-170 (2 sets of floors), received 2 night pegasus whistles. Good to be me sometimes. O.o

So what happened to the items to turn housing into shops? Since it was added that stuff has been in the multi millions on my server but i checked at random yesterday and they were 5000g or less.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    So what happened to the items to turn housing into shops? Since it was added that stuff has been in the multi millions on my server but i checked at random yesterday and they were 5000g or less.
    If you mean the wall kits that make your house look like a weapon/armor shop, retainers are able to retrieve those on quick ventures now. Moogle houses are also in the same boat.

57/100 Rival Wings victories so far. I hope the balance changes in 4.2 address the various PvP issues and bring forth better queue times. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    57/100 Rival Wings victories so far. I hope the balance changes in 4.2 address the various PvP issues and bring forth better queue times. >_>
    i enjoyed pvp pre-stormblood. i cant play it now, it feels too dumbed down

Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post
    i enjoyed pvp pre-stormblood. i cant play it now, it feels too dumbed down
    Personally, I think they should take what they've done with PvP and apply it to the rest of the game. I love not having to have combo abilities take up different action bar slots, it frees up those same slots for more interesting abilities. It's also great having a Job stripped down to just it's core elements, without all the extra fluff on top. Most of all, I really, really like the design of the SCH in PvP. It's got a simple, cohesive design that works extremely well. The same is true of other jobs too and that is a good thing.

I generally consider having a multitude of overlapping abilities to be a sign of a developers ineptitude rather than expertise. A small core of interesting abilities that allow the class to function well is preferable to having those same skills spread over 20+ abilities. The smaller skill pool, by design, forces players to decide how best to use their limited toolbox to overcome challenges as opposed to always having the right tool availible - That directly leads to the player having to make moment-to-moment decisions about which skills to use and when rather than having the decision made for them. Decision making is the cornerstone of good game design as far as I'm concerned.

I agree that PvP is much better now that they actually redesigned jobs to work cohesively in PvP instead of trying to do some weird 'level up abilities separately' business like they used to. I too am hoping for that button squish in 5.0, though they needn't compress the entire PvE job down to 10 buttons, I'm okay with them still having a few extra.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Personally, I think they should take what they've done with PvP and apply it to the rest of the game. I love not having to have combo abilities take up different action bar slots, it frees up those same slots for more interesting abilities. It's also great having a Job stripped down to just it's core elements, without all the extra fluff on top. Most of all, I really, really like the design of the SCH in PvP. It's got a simple, cohesive design that works extremely well. The same is true of other jobs too and that is a good thing.

I generally consider having a multitude of overlapping abilities to be a sign of a developers ineptitude rather than expertise. A small core of interesting abilities that allow the class to function well is preferable to having those same skills spread over 20+ abilities. The smaller skill pool, by design, forces players to decide how best to use their limited toolbox to overcome challenges as opposed to always having the right tool availible - That directly leads to the player having to make moment-to-moment decisions about which skills to use and when rather than having the decision made for them. Decision making is the cornerstone of good game design as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    I agree that PvP is much better now that they actually redesigned jobs to work cohesively in PvP instead of trying to do some weird 'level up abilities separately' business like they used to. I too am hoping for that button squish in 5.0, though they needn't compress the entire PvE job down to 10 buttons, I'm okay with them still having a few extra.
    I've been toiling away at a full combat redesign and Paladin rework thread. It's not finished, but im done the redesign and about 50% done the paladin rework. Once it's done keep an eye out for it.

That said I PERSONALLY find more abilities better, BUT only if they have ACTUAL value. Not usable on one fight once a year.

Off the top of my head putting absolutely minimal effort in for PLD.

Tempered Will could simply be baked into Sheltron with no issues. Why it's a 3M cooldown I'll never know.
    Both Stances could go, and be baked into weaponskills/oGCDs. I.e. Bake the threat into Rage of Halone. Make us cast it more than once a fight. Bake the passive auto attack DPS into RA/GB. Bake the 20% damage redux into Rage of Halone as like a debuff to minimize incoming damage. This way you'd be casting a lower DPS ability, but generating mitigation and threat simultaneously and organically.
    Flash could be deleted and threat baked into Total Eclipse.

That's not even counting incorporating the pvp weaponskill paradigm, but I think it'd need a minutia of effort in order to work out in a decent manner so I excluded it.

Then there's role actions. God what a shitshow of silly ass abilities that could be baked into other abilities freeing up even more slots.

Almost done with my crafters but god damn fucking amphiptre skin is the god damn worst thing to farm.