Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Post Scandal! Video proves that classic 'Leeroy Jenkins' moment was staged

Remember the classic YouTube video of a World of Warcraft player named Leeroy Jenkins charging into a dungeon while the rest of his guild meticulously planned their attack, leading to everyone’s death? The clip has been viewed more than 46 million times on YouTube, was referenced on Jeopardy! and The Daily Show, and parodied in countless shows and videos.

As it turns out, Leeroy Jenkins was a lie. “Anf Pal” posted a video to YouTube this week showing the first take of what would become the Leeroy Jenkins video we all know.

(According to the internet, those within the World of Warcraft community knew or suspected that the Leeroy video was staged, but it’s news to outsiders.)

The dialogue was a lot clunkier, and riddled with profanity. Had the original run been the only video that emerged of Leeroy Jenkins, it’s likely that the phenomenon wouldn’t have been nearly as viral as it was. The final version is much more polished.
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/leer...ft-staged-fake

Did you know this. It always seemed fake to me to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always seem it as racist and mocking black people, which I am sure blizzard and PALS 4 Lyfe or whatever were well aware.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

We have known for a long time that the original video was fake. We were informed that it was a "recreation" of what happened. You can hear it on the "the chances of success is 33,33% recurring ofc". No one says that x)
    It might be totally fake tho, hope not, but hey, still a classic ^^

I'll admit I@d heard it was staged but believed it was genuine (in as much as I cared) until I saw the "dress rehearsal" clip.

What? Americans are interesting people, it's not unbelievable
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    I always seem it as racist and mocking black people, which I am sure blizzard and PALS 4 Lyfe or whatever were well aware.
    How....in the world did you ...?

You know what, nevermind.

Tbh when I learned it was a "recreation" a small part of my teenage years shattered a bit. It was one of those things I just believed forever cause friends showed it to me and said it was real forever ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post

Everything is racist if you're desperate enough to call it racist.

10+ Year Old Account

Leeroy isn't even the only one in the guild who seems to make jokes mocking black people. It isn't the first time it won't be the last time it's no different than black face.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    I think he's referring to the 'atleast i've got chicken' line, because you can't talk about fried chicken without being insinuated with talking about fried chicken, and you cant talk about liking fried chicken without being racist, because it is a stereotype that black people like chicken.

Lord, how people reach these days.
    Yes, because we all know that black face and that kind of behavior by a group of gamers faking a youtube video, is soo unthinkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/leer...ft-staged-fake

Did you know this. It always seemed fake to me to be honest.
    wow.... thanks for sharing information that most of us knew YEARS ago...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Leeroy isn't even the only one in the guild who seems to make jokes mocking black people. It isn't the first time it won't be the last time it's no different than black face.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, because we all know that black face and that kind of behavior by a group of gamers faking a youtube video, is soo unthinkable.
    Dude, get over yourself, NOTHING about this was mocking black people. Dont you have a BLM march to attend to or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    File this in the "no shit" bucket

*hand waving* everyone knew it was staged.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I googled it and read

http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014...can-names.html

Tbh it wouldn't surprise me if the original thing was meant to be racist since mocking black people was what was considered super edgy a decade ago. It also isn't too much much of a stretch since "Leroy and chicken" were used in the same time as well as the character was one of the darker skin colors, the actual character not the blizzard version.

At this point who really cares though, it became a joke of an idiot playing wow and nothing else.

Bolded the important part before someone misses it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Tbh when I learned it was a "recreation" a small part of my teenage years shattered a bit. It was one of those things I just believed forever cause friends showed it to me and said it was real forever ago.
    /Pat /pat there there. Have an almond choco loco yogurt

I legit didn't know people didn't know it was staged. I remember hearing it like it was old news from guildie during a Kara raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    /Pat /pat there there. Have an almond choco loco yogurt
    Thanks friend, I appreciate it. *cries into her yogurt*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    wow.... thanks for sharing information that most of us knew YEARS ago...

- - - Updated - - -

Dude, get over yourself, NOTHING about this was mocking black people. Dont you have a BLM march to attend to or something?

It was staged he didn’t get chicken the name of his character is Leeroy he yells Jenkins most of the guild was comprised of the same humor.

It was a racist video and that was the intention of making it funny.

I'm amazed anyone ever thought it was anything but fake.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    I googled it and read

http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2014...can-names.html

Tbh it wouldn't surprise me if the original thing was meant to be racist since mocking black people was what was considered super edgy a decade ago. It also isn't too much much of a stretch since "Leroy and chicken" were used in the same time as well as the character was one of the darker skin colors, the actual character not the blizzard version.

At this point who really cares though, it became a joke of an idiot playing wow and nothing else.

Bolded the important part before someone misses it.
    Still going to bonk you for using an opinion piece for proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Still going to bonk you for using an opinion piece for proof.
    I didn't use it as proof, I said I read that and it presented some opinions that were worth reading regarding the situation. In the matter of "racist or not", it comes down to opinions anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    *hand waving* everyone knew it was staged.
    Could have believed without audio, listen to them talk was so cringe worthy and not remotely believable.