Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    A student (which these jobs were meant for), a machine or a trained monkey probably.

So shut the business down while people are in school? Or did you forget students have classes during the day?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The late Tim Horton would be appalled at the bastardized conglomerate that defiles the use of his name.
    I may have overlooked this, but is the mandatory 15 a hour a Canada wide law? Or just a Providence one?

Like here in the US, I can see why states like California would have a 15 dollar min wage. But it would be dumb here in Ohio. Our is about 8 per hour and is adjusted every year according to what ever the cost of living index is.

This is not about cooperations, this is about 2 people owning 2 stores.
    Holy shit people.
    yeah 2 poor small business people
    The daughter of Tim Horton and the son of Ron Joyce who is worth 1.2 billion.

Those poor small businesses...
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    This sounds more to me like "company wants to cut salaries to employees, uses government as scape goat to do so."
    This is pretty much all there is to this.

That is incredibly disgusting, pure malice from them.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's the economics version of "If we let the gays marry, soon we'll have to let people marry dogs and rape children in bathrooms!" The comic didn't have to be a literal depiction of a slippery slope, though...I think that's a little on the nose.
    The "tranny raping a little kid in the bathroom scenario" actually happened since the whole tranny rights thing. your point?
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    The "tranny raping a little kid in the bathroom scenario" actually happened since the whole tranny rights thing. your point?

source????

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I may have overlooked this, but is the mandatory 15 a hour a Canada wide law? Or just a Providence one?

Like here in the US, I can see why states like California would have a 15 dollar min wage. But it would be dumb here in Ohio. Our is about 8 per hour and is adjusted every year according to what ever the cost of living index is.
    Exactly, the cost of living in rural New York is significantly lower than the areas around New York City. Forcing $15 in residential areas actually hurts, whereas it might help in high cost areas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    source????
    I'll find the news story. give me a bit...
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds exactly what most reasonable people expected would and will continue to happen. The owners and money makers will almost never take a loss to their bottom line. That cost is passed down firstly to employees and then customers. The hiking of minimum wage is stupid and short sighted and will harm most of the people in a forum like this (min wage earners/part timers).

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Employees at an Ontario Tim Hortons owned by the children of the chain's founders say they have been told to sign a document acknowledging they are losing paid breaks, paid benefits, and other incentives as a result of the province's minimum wage hike.
    Can't have the poor owners of Restaurant Brands International suffer financial consequences, now can we. Those yachts aren't going to buy themselves and 3G Capital needs to make sure they deliver the money to those yacht buyers.

In other words, people like Jorge Paulo Lemann (worth more than $30 billion), Carlos Alberto Sicupira (worth more than $10 billion), and Marcel Herrmann Telles (worth more than $10 billion) will financially still be massively rich allowing the minimum wage hike and not doing anything to paid breaks, paid benefits, and other incentives. They may just be worth a few million less.

But that isn't how those people operate. They are determined to get every drop of blood out of every turnip they can.

Stop buying the BS that raising minimum wages *has* to result in fewer jobs. FFS, even China is replacing their dirt cheap labor with robots now. This is nothing more than a game of the rich pushing to be richer at the expense of whatever they can go after. It is amazing how few people understand what is really going on.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    source????
    Found it: http://trib.com/news/local/crime-and...d6bb80296.html

What did people expect? You thought any company would just accept this wage raise and lose money? Of course they are going to transfer the cost to employees by reducing benefits like in this case or transfer it to consumers by raising prices.

Deleted
    So shut the business down while people are in school? Or did you forget students have classes during the day?
    Then the trained monkeys can take over, or maybe the other students seeing they aren't all in the same classes and have different times off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    yeah 2 poor small business people
    The daughter of Tim Horton and the son of Ron Joyce who is worth 1.2 billion.

Those poor small businesses...
    Yep. Doesn't change anything. At the moment they don't own any of that so it makes them owners of 2 small businesses nothing more.
    Keep moving goalposts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Can't have the poor owners of Restaurant Brands International suffer financial consequences, now can we. Those yachts aren't going to buy themselves and 3G Capital needs to make sure they deliver the money to those yacht buyers.

In other words, people like Jorge Paulo Lemann (worth more than $30 billion), Carlos Alberto Sicupira (worth more than $10 billion), and Marcel Herrmann Telles (worth more than $10 billion) will financially still be massively rich allowing the minimum wage hike and not doing anything to paid breaks, paid benefits, and other incentives. They may just be worth a few million less.

But that isn't how those people operate. They are determined to get every drop of blood out of every turnip they can.

Stop buying the BS that raising minimum wages *has* to result in fewer jobs. FFS, even China is replacing their dirt cheap labor with robots now. This is nothing more than a game of the rich pushing to be richer at the expense of whatever they can go after. It is amazing how few people understand what is really going on.
    Except this is about a small FRANCHISE LOSING MONEY, not a giant cooperation.
    Actually fucking read instead of coming in with your shit right away.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    P.S. Education isn't free in America. No matter what you need a job to get an education. You need to be able to support yourself and be able to afford an education as soon as you leave your home, by yourself, as an American. It's called a catch 22.
    Why dont you just get rich parents? Much easier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by halloaa View Post
    Why dont you just get rich parents? Much easier.
    Don't need an education or rich parents to make more then minimum wage. Just a small bit of brains and wanting to do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    If your business model requires you to pay people as little as possible, to the point that they cannot make ends meet and requires you to screw them over when the government ups the minimum wage, your business model is garbage.
    Honest question: If your local pizza place went from paying $8 an hour to $15 an hour and, to compensate, they took your advice and changed their business model so that there was no more delivery (or delivery was like $10) and they increased prices to compensate for the vastly increased labor costs and your pizza now cost $29, would you continue buying a pizza from there? Or would you perhaps buy an $8 frozen pizza and toss it in the oven? Because if you aren't willing to shell out the $29 for a pizza, that is even more lost revenue.

I ask because, as someone who worked on opening a restaurant, most restaurants (save for either the ridiculously crowded/popular [ie a McDonalds in an airport] or the super expensive five star-celebrity chef type restaurants) work on profit margins of between 4-8% on average. This includes most places like fast food joints, pizza places, hot dog stands, even fast casual like TGI Fridays/Chilis/etc. Additionally, even paying 10% over current minimum wages (say $8 an hour) causes labor costs to be close to 35-40% of your overhead. If those wages now have to soar to $15 an hour, that means that labor costs just jumped into the 70-80% of current overhead. Which means, at current prices, they are operating on a -25% to -30% "profit" margin. So, either they reduce hours/staff to get labor costs back into a similar % of overhead or they raises prices by a lot to compensate. This is not even taking into account the idea of offering health insurance to all employees that folks pushing for this are wanting.

So, even if it doesn't jump to $29, but to, let's say, $19 for that pizza you used to pay $11 for, are you willing to suddenly make that jump?

Making the claim that "your business model sucks if you can't pay X so you shouldn't be in business" is stupid. Their business model is based on what people are willing to pay. For places like food service, there is a price point where people will simply say, "Screw it, I will cook at home, it isn't worth all that extra for someone to cook for me". For many restaurants, that price point is a lot closer to current prices than you would likely believe.

Deleted
    Don't need an education or rich parents to make more then minimum wage. Just a small bit of brains and wanting to do the work.
    If your parents are rich enough, you dont even need that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    https://www.snopes.com/miguel-martin...m-controversy/

Your source doesn't mention the location where the incident took place for a reason... It happened at a private resident not in a public bathroom which was the issue of the transgender bathroom bill.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2018-01-04 at 03:07 PM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe the minimum wage should be more carefully considered. There should be tiers based on the type of business it is. For example, there would be a different minimum wage for a small mom and pop business than there would be for a corporation. As well, tied to this, minimum wages should be carefully selected down to county levels adjusted with the average cost of living in that area. Wide sweeping wage mandates do not work as the cost of living can vary greatly from county to county, let alone for state to state.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thagrynor View Post
    Honest question: If your local pizza place went from paying $8 an hour to $15 an hour and, to compensate, they took your advice and changed their business model so that there was no more delivery (or delivery was like $10) and they increased prices to compensate for the vastly increased labor costs and your pizza now cost $29, would you continue buying a pizza from there? Or would you perhaps buy an $8 frozen pizza and toss it in the oven? Because if you aren't willing to shell out the $29 for a pizza, that is even more lost revenue.

I ask because, as someone who worked on opening a restaurant, most restaurants (save for either the ridiculously crowded/popular [ie a McDonalds in an airport] or the super expensive five star-celebrity chef type restaurants) work on profit margins of between 4-8% on average. This includes most places like fast food joints, pizza places, hot dog stands, even fast casual like TGI Fridays/Chilis/etc. Additionally, even paying 10% over current minimum wages (say $8 an hour) causes labor costs to be close to 35-40% of your overhead. If those wages now have to soar to $15 an hour, that means that labor costs just jumped into the 70-80% of current overhead. Which means, at current prices, they are operating on a -25% to -30% "profit" margin. So, either they reduce hours/staff to get labor costs back into a similar % of overhead or they raises prices by a lot to compensate. This is not even taking into account the idea of offering health insurance to all employees that folks pushing for this are wanting.

So, even if it doesn't jump to $29, but to, let's say, $19 for that pizza you used to pay $11 for, are you willing to suddenly make that jump?

Making the claim that "your business model sucks if you can't pay X so you shouldn't be in business" is stupid. Their business model is based on what people are willing to pay. For places like food service, there is a price point where people will simply say, "Screw it, I will cook at home, it isn't worth all that extra for someone to cook for me". For many restaurants, that price point is a lot closer to current prices than you would likely believe.
    No, I am not willing to pay a single dime more for people with no skills to get paid more.
    If there was a price increase i'd stop eating there right away.