Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    No it's not. Private Servers are thriving. That's why the "you think you do, but you don't" has always been completely ridiculous. The jury is not out. People are playing, and have been playing Classic for YEARS.

People know what they want, and they know why they want it. When that pretentious dev had to eat his words in the first interview after the announcement, I was literally rolling on the floor laughing. I think I'm going to watch it again for a good chuckle.

What do you classify was thriving?

Most servers I've or my friends have played on have had like maybe a few hundred on at a time, Nost was the exception to the rule, because of how it was ran, but even then, it was significantly dwarfed by retail even when retail was at it's lowest

Also Classic's novelty wears off for a lot of people after awhile, a year into it will be a niche playerbase, which is nothing bad, but don't paint it out to be something that everyone, or most people even want past a certain point

Quote Originally Posted by Saintlel View Post
    What do you classify was thriving?

Most servers I've or my friends have played on have had like maybe a few hundred on at a time, Nost was the exception to the rule, because of how it was ran, but even then, it was significantly dwarfed by retail even when retail was at it's lowest

Also Classic's novelty wears off for a lot of people after awhile, a year into it will be a niche playerbase, which is nothing bad, but don't paint it out to be something that everyone, or most people even want past a certain point
    No one is making it out to be anything other than what it is. The proof is there for anyone who wants to see it. The reasons the numbers are so low on PSs is because the 90% of the playerbase has no idea what they really are. I had no idea until a few months ago. I just heard them mentioned a few times as places where people play WoW illegally for free. Blizzard's Classic announcement is what actually caused me to seek them out and start playing on them.

Classic WoW will likely bring in hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of players. It's going to be huge. Sure, there will be an initial massive surge in players logged in for the first month that will drastically drop off for the 2nd month. But the stable numbers once the dust settles will much higher than you're thinking. Literally everyone I know who I used to play WoW with back in the day is planning to come back for it.

Deleted
    No one is making it out to be anything other than what it is. The proof is there for anyone who wants to see it. The reasons the numbers are so low on PSs is because the 90% of the playerbase has no idea what they really are. I had no idea until a few months ago. I just heard them mentioned a few times as places where people play WoW illegally for free. Blizzard's Classic announcement is what actually caused me to seek them out and start playing on them.

Classic WoW will likely bring in hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of players. It's going to be huge. Sure, there will be an initial massive surge in players logged in for the first month that will drastically drop off for the 2nd month. But the stable numbers once the dust settles will much higher than you're thinking. Literally everyone I know who I used to play WoW with back in the day is planning to come back for it.
    Lol, no.
    There will be the 500 people with rosetinted glasses. Then those few guys that go around guilds pronouncing how "everything was better in vanilla" all day long. And some curious people who have never played vanilla before (who will likely all quit very soon cause a game with 2004 standards in 2018 just doesn't work).

I don't mind vanilla, i won't play it again cause i have already and i'm not going to play that grind again with 2004 mmo standards, but for the people who like it, sure why not.
    But don't go around here pretending there are "millions of people" waiting for vanilla, cause if you think there are, you are just delusional.
    All in all there might be a few hundred thousand trying it out at the start, but that amount will plummet like a brick after 1-2 months when people realize how much of a step back into time it is, and then it will go back to exactly what it is: a niche market.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrIvoRobotnik View Post
    I think Legion was worse than vanilla when it comes to alts.
    Because of people like this. Vanilla was the most alt unfriendly version of the game as we know it. Legion isn't even close.

People just dislike the stupidity like the above being flung around so they will comment on it.

I'm looking forward to playing classic again but I'm not here on a forum with my rose tinted glasses on selling the past like it was some fairy tail. It was farming for 5/6 hours outside raids to be able to raid, leveling took weeks/months and alts were not something you'd even think off.
    People saying Dungeons stay relevant also got dropped on their heads, as soon as you got your t1 there was no reason to ever go back.
    I raided 6 days a week back then and farmed the rest of the time, all 5 of our tanks had Quell and 2 had thunder fury. No one farmed "dungeons". We farmed nature resist pots for AQ40.

Just hate people "forgetting" all the bad parts and just remembering the good ones, it was a bug filled grindy ass game way worse then what we have now. That doesn't mean it was a bad game though, just a different one.

Deleted
    Perhaps, compared to mature MMOs, Vanilla was torture, yakno, like Lineage or Everquest.

It had millions of players and retained a growing audience....13 years ago.

Games have evolved drastically since that time. What was successful in 2004 won't be as successful in 2017. It's also not just nostalgia, some games were really epic and outstanding during their time, but times are changing.

All the "warning threads" are just people who are aware of how outdated that game was and are trying to convey that to people who might not have even been born back then.

PS. When it comes to alts, legion is probably the most alt-friendly expansion ever. The naysayers claim that the current expansion is not alt-friendly in every single expansion from what I remember.

This is the first expansion in which you can basically level from 100 to 110 by afking for about 2 hours total in invasion quests. Also, the main mechanic (artifact weapon) - you can catch up and unlock all the traits within 1 day due to the AK. I myself have finally levelled all 12 of my alts to max level, for the first time in history, just because of how easy it is.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2018-01-04 at 12:05 PM.

As someone with about 85-90 exalteds on my main character, among other time/effort sinks, I very much enjoy anything grind-ey.

Bring it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewmaster Kolee View Post
    You left out the part where hunters use mana because... reasons.
    What's the problem with using mana again? It's been the go to base resource for most class archetypes for years, even in previous games.

Now you're just grasping for straws buddy, but that's ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    All the "warning threads" are just people who are aware of how outdated that game was and are trying to convey that to people who might not have even been born back then..
    There's a difference between giving a friendly heads up, and a constant barrage of fear-mongering'esque hatred towards the game. Seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    and listen music on vinyl - yeah, it's shit. And vanilla wow was kinda like it.
    Yea, goes to show you have no clue what you're talking about. No worries, keep on hating, won't deter us from enjoying it upon release, and i bet we'll see you there as well, hate included.

7+ Year Old Account
    It wasn't "torture" in 2004. In 2004 it was much more casual friendly than other MMO's were. But MMO's have changed in the past 13 years.

No it's not. Private Servers are thriving. That's why the "you think you do, but you don't" has always been completely ridiculous. The jury is not out. People are playing, and have been playing Classic for YEARS.

People know what they want, and they know why they want it. When that pretentious dev had to eat his words in the first interview after the announcement, I was literally rolling on the floor laughing. I think I'm going to watch it again for a good chuckle.
    I'm curious as to how many of those private server people will be willing to PAY to play on Blizzard's classic server, though. Especially taking into consideration that a portion of those private servers already had mods on the game.

I leveled as a holy priest from day 1, and it was torture. Between Beta and Release they broke Spirit, which was the ONLY stat for Holy priest, and without it levelling was pure suffering. I had to drink and eat after every fight against 1 mob my level. Only in my wildest dreams could I beat 2 mobs or god forbid an elite who wasn't 5 levels below me. I was also way ahead of almost everyone on my server, so I was totally alone in every zone I was in. Took 2-3 months to get to 60, and I was the 2nd 60 on my server (Draenor).

I plan to play "Classic" as a Huntard this time. EZ MODE TO THE MAX (except for buying arrows and the dead zone)!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalek View Post
    Nor is it immersive carrying 0 rounds of ammo yet seeing ammo spew out of the barrel of a rifle.
    I never claimed it was, but you did claim having ammo added to immersion when it didn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    What is more immersive...

Shooting arrows or bullets made out of thin air? Or actually having them with you?

*scratch my head*

Oh, nevermind, i forgot the newest generations don't give a shit about the MMORPG bit of Warcraft. All semblance of being an RPG was butchered long ago, and you can complete 99% of the content the game offers on your own, so you can also throw the MMO out the window.

Two reasons why we want Classic so much.
    Listen you clueless turd, cut the old school versus new generation crap. You are not hardcore. I've played since vanilla, and unlike you am not deluded by nostalgia.

There is nothing immersive with carrying 1000+ rounds of ammo, be it arrows or bullets. If you gave a fuck about immersion your character would drag the ammo in a fucking cart, not running around with them in a bag.

WoW has never been an immersive RPG, or much of a RPG to begin with. Stop acting like it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    MMO's have changed in the past 13 years.
    For the worse, especially WoW. At least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post

There is nothing immersive with carrying 1000+ rounds of ammo, be it arrows or bullets. If you gave a fuck about immersion your character would drag the ammo in a fucking cart, not running around with them in a bag.

WoW has never been an immersive RPG, or much of a RPG to begin with. Stop acting like it.
    It does baffle me why people would be upset about not having to have ammo due to immersion when I'm dragging around a full extra set of plate armor and 3 swords in 5 bags somehow slung on my body while I'm running around at full speed and fighting 7 guys at once. And sometimes a few of my enemies heads. And a grappling hook, fishing pole, 42 crates of artifacts...

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah man, I played WoW Vanilla when I was a freshman in Uni with all the time in the world. I play it again now on my PS as a 33 year old working professional with a family. The imagined time sink doesn't really exist.
    It's not an imagined time sink. It objectively takes longer to do everything in vanilla than it does retail. If you have the time for that then awesome I'm glad for you. I probably have the time as well but I'm not willing to devote that time to playing vanilla when I'd rather be doing something else and still get the same satisfaction out of the game with retail for less time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raziella View Post
    It does baffle me why people would be upset about not having to have ammo due to immersion when I'm dragging around a full extra set of plate armor and 3 swords in 5 bags somehow slung on my body while I'm running around at full speed and fighting 7 guys at once. And sometimes a few of my enemies heads. And a grappling hook, fishing pole, 42 crates of artifacts...
    Not to mention mounts in a bag.

10+ Year Old Account
    because those people have a functioning memory.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    because those people have a functioning memory.
    I have a memory of being poked in the eye with a tree branch, too, but that doesn't mean I want to do it again.

I do not understand why people want to suffer a pointless pain in the ass (for ONE class in this case!) for the sake of nostalgia and nothing else. Ammo wasn't fun, it wasn't compelling game play; players just didn't have an option at the time.
    Not all QoL changes are somehow "gamebreaking." Some just, you know, improve quality of life. Vastly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raziella View Post
    I have a memory of being poked in the eye with a tree branch, too, but that doesn't mean I want to do it again.

I do not understand why people want to suffer a pointless pain in the ass (for ONE class in this case!) for the sake of nostalgia and nothing else. Ammo wasn't fun, it wasn't compelling game play; players just didn't have an option at the time.
    Not all QoL changes are somehow "gamebreaking." Some just, you know, improve quality of life. Vastly.
    But you don't get it man! That tree branch was immersive and a proper RPG!

It was successful cause it was new, had a strong lore to go off of.